Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Line

Scott Pennock

As I mentioned in the Philbin thread, but thought it may be worth further discussion on its own merit.

Based off of our previous offensive playbook we ran a lot of deep, time consuming routes designed for chunk and/or homerun plays.

Obviously this leaves our Offensive Line at a greater disadvantage while trying to block for these plays as they develop. The byproduct of which is a lot of sacks and quarterback hits.

If McDaniels is hired as our new HC and/or a West Coast type offensive minded OC you've got to think the quick hitter routes and 3 step drops versus 5-7 step drops will reduce the sacks/hits.....

Just by virtue of getting the ball out quicker the oline should show improvement. Castonzo, Kelly, Good, Haeg, and Clark are good building blocks that offer versatility at the very least.

Adding a Norwell, or Hurst from the Ravens, or Cooper from the Cowboys, or Gabe Jackson from the Raiders, or Zach Fulton from the Chiefs would certainly add competition and depth - or Norwell's case a proven All-Pro to put between Castonzo and Kelly.

Adding Norwell and just one of those other guys on a lesser deal would certainly go a long ways towards "fixing" the oline. Scheme helps just as much as talent!

Thoughts?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Based off of our previous offensive playbook we ran a lot of deep, time consuming routes designed for chunk and/or homerun plays.

I wonder how many of those had a quick first read that either wasn't seen, players didn't get open, or skill players didn't pick up the blitz for?

16 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

As I mentioned in the Philbin thread, but thought it may be worth further discussion on its own merit.

Obviously this leaves our Offensive Line at a greater disadvantage while trying to block for these plays as they develop. The byproduct of which is a lot of sacks and quarterback hits.

If McDaniels is hired as our new HC and/or a West Coast type offensive minded OC you've got to think the quick hitter routes and 3 step drops versus 5-7 step drops will reduce the sacks/hits.....

Just by virtue of getting the ball out quicker the oline should show improvement. Castonzo, Kelly, Good, Haeg, and Clark are good building blocks that offer versatility at the very least.

Adding a Norwell, or Hurst from the Ravens, or Cooper from the Cowboys, or Gabe Jackson from the Raiders, or Zach Fulton from the Chiefs would certainly add competition and depth - or Norwell's case a proven All-Pro to put between Castonzo and Kelly.

Adding Norwell and just one of those other guys on a lesser deal would certainly go a long ways towards "fixing" the oline. Scheme helps just as much as talent!

Thoughts?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i say keep kelly upgrade the rest

We are not going to be able to upgrade on Castanzo.

Ballard said late in the season that AC is playing the best ball of his career.    There isn't a better LT on the market.   We are fine at LT and C.

The other three spots are question marks.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard said late in the season that AC is playing the best ball of his career.    There isn't a better LT on the market.   We are fine at LT and C.

I'd like the Colts to bring in at least 2 free agent veteran upgrades and maybe use a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on another.  Not sure who is available via free agency as of yet.

14 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'd like the Colts to bring in at least 2 free agent veteran upgrades and maybe use a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on another.  Not sure who is available via free agency as of yet.

Free agency has some quality guards...   but as of today, I don't see any tackles that might excite any GM.

If we decide we need another quality OT then I think that player had to come from the draft.   

Free agency will likely tell us a lot....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed. And because of this, a free agent G is a must. You can't draft a ready made O line. Immediate talent upgrades are needed. You may be able to get 2 new starters at G if you get a FA like Norwell and draft Nelson after a trade back.  Then use one of the holdovers at RT. Draft a T in round 3 or 4 for the future. That would be the best case scenario IMO. 

The guards in this draft are ridiculous.  Quenton Nelson could be a star for ten years, one of my favorites, Maea Teuhema, could be a star left guard for ten years, and William Hernandez could be a bulldozer at right guard.  I love Nelson, but getting a tackle is so tough I'd trade down a few spots to the jets and take Mike McGlinchey and pick up at least the Jets #3.

1. Mike McGlinchey

2.  Maea Teuhema

3. Defense

3. Defense

A sleeper guard in free agency is Spencer Long.  He would be a quality fill in and future backup.

Castonzo Teuhema Kelly Long McGlinchey

with that you could throw any route you want and run the ball.  Whoever we get for OL, I really want them to be plus run blockers.  I'm not liking the wimpy little guys who get no movement.  Wall-off run blockers don't really seem like linemen to me.

AC and Kelly are fine. Good and Mewhort are fine players I think. But man they just gotta stay healthy. Definitely need to upgrade from Vujo. And Haeg is more of a swing tackle ala Joe Reitz in my mind. Clark took a major step back this year in terms of development. 

In a perfect world we'd be able to sign a guy like Norwell to solidify the LG spot whilst Good and Mewhort lock down the right side, but this isn't a perfect world. 

I rarely expect  my team to sign all the top FA guys, but I really think they should invest good money into a guard to play between AC and RK. Maybe bring back Mewhort, and draft a guard in the middle rounds to battle out for the RG spot, and have Clark and Good fight for the RT. Good looked good in limited time this season I think.

3 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

Would have been nice if mewhort panned out and our left side was solidified but Norwell should be top of our list for free agency and maybe give mewhort a prove it deal and have him play RG with norwell on the left

That's what I was thinking. If Mewhort is healthy, he's honestly one of the best guards in the league. But those knees man. Gotta make sure they'll hold up. 

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

That's what I was thinking. If Mewhort is healthy, he's honestly one of the best guards in the league. But those knees man. Gotta make sure they'll hold up. 

Even if he can give us 2-3 more years while we keep rebuilding then he retires or moves on that would be great because those knees do not have very long

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I think one of the best G's in the league is a stretch but he's certainly been our best G. I hope we try to get him on a short deal. He may want a 1yr deal. Who knows what will happen in FA hopefully he's back in Indy. We

still need a legit plan B he has finished on the IR the last 2 seasons. 

3 hours ago, PowerballBlue said:

The guards in this draft are ridiculous.  Quenton Nelson could be a star for ten years, one of my favorites, Maea Teuhema, could be a star left guard for ten years, and William Hernandez could be a bulldozer at right guard.  I love Nelson, but getting a tackle is so tough I'd trade down a few spots to the jets and take Mike McGlinchey and pick up at least the Jets #3.

1. Mike McGlinchey

2.  Maea Teuhema

3. Defense

3. Defense

A sleeper guard in free agency is Spencer Long.  He would be a quality fill in and future backup.

Castonzo Teuhema Kelly Long McGlinchey

with that you could throw any route you want and run the ball.  Whoever we get for OL, I really want them to be plus run blockers.  I'm not liking the wimpy little guys who get no movement.  Wall-off run blockers don't really seem like linemen to me.

I think I have bad news for you...

I looked up Maea Teuhema (sp?) and it looks like he got kicked out of LSU before this season started.

As best I can tell he didn't play anywhere this year.    I'm not even sure he transferred anywhere.    If he did, I didn't see the report anywhere.   So I'm not even sure what his status is for the draft?   But he won't be a 2nd round pick for anyone.  Not after he has missed the entire 2017 season.

Sorry....   I know you're high on him...   please don't kill the messenger!   :peek:

11 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Norwell is the premiere OL in free agency.  Other than that there isn’t a ton to get excited about.  Personally I’m hoping that Mewhort can be resigned on a prove you’re healthy deal and pair him with Norwell and a new RT.  Then keep Kelly and Castonzo.  

Ive always wondered if our issue with injuries had something to do with chuck and they way German practices.

9 hours ago, Hoose said:

Agreed. And because of this, a free agent G is a must. You can't draft a ready made O line. Immediate talent upgrades are needed. You may be able to get 2 new starters at G if you get a FA like Norwell and draft Nelson after a trade back.  Then use one of the holdovers at RT. Draft a T in round 3 or 4 for the future. That would be the best case scenario IMO. 

Hey this sounds familiar... oh wait we did this already and failed...

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I really dont understand the constant grief toward Castanzo. He's nowhere near as bad as he's treated around here.

Sometimes i think this forum has a flock of minah birds hanging around.

someone sees that AC allows a sack, then its "caw caw , AC stinks, release him".  Then suddenly its like wildfire.... "caw caw caw caw ... AC stinks. AC stinks." (Crowd noise)

"CAW CAW... hire TOUB!  I dont know why, i just heard it somewhere....CAW!"

The blind leading the blind around here sometimes.

57 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Norwell is the premiere OL in free agency.  Other than that there isn’t a ton to get excited about.  Personally I’m hoping that Mewhort can be resigned on a prove you’re healthy deal and pair him with Norwell and a new RT.  Then keep Kelly and Castonzo.  

Ive always wondered if our issue with injuries had something to do with chuck and they way German practices.

This team has been snake bitten by injuries over the past several years.  Even if we upgrade the starting O-line we will still be suspect without also upgrading our depth behind them.  Significant injuries seem to hit us  every season.  I know that it's all a part of the game but the Colts seem to be particularly vulnerable.  Not sure why.  The number guys on IR last year was just ridiculous.

32 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I really dont understand the constant grief toward Castanzo. He's nowhere near as bad as he's treated around here.

someone sees that AC allows a sack, then its "caw caw , AC stinks, release him".  Then suddenly its like wildfire.... "caw caw caw caw ... AC stinks. AC stinks." (Crowd noise)

AC is up against the other team's best pass rusher every week.  Of course he will lose some of those battles but I agree that he isn't appreciated enough for what he does.  He is no Tarik Glenn but he isn't the reason why our offensive line has been a liability in my opinion.  As NewColtsFan pointed out, I don't think the Colts would be able to upgrade from him this off season.   I also don't really feel a need to if Ballard can put a couple of other pieces around him and Kelly. 

48 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

He finished the season with an 82 grade from ProFootballFocus  Above average . Elite run blocking . Started out badly in pass protection this year but got better as the season went on.  

28 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

AC is up against the other team's best pass rusher every week.  Of course he will lose some of those battles but I agree that he isn't appreciated enough for what he does.  He is no Tarik Glenn but he isn't the reason why our offensive line has been a liability in my opinion.  As NewColtsFan pointed out, I don't think the Colts would be able to upgrade from him this off season.   I also don't really feel a need to if Ballard can put a couple of other pieces around him and Kelly. 

Agree.  And if somehow we do upgrade LT thru FA or draft (McGlinchey ?) , AC would ,at least solidify the RT spot then.

but i think our FA money and draft picks are better served focusing at G. A starting G and RT in FA  would set us up nicely for the draft.

Then we could grab a G and/or T in any round really.  I think there will be the #2 G or #3 T available at our #2 pick.  Looks like a deep draft at OL so even our #3 or #4 pick for OL.

I like the way Ballard handled the DT search last year which ended with Hankins. IN FA, i hope he does this with G, T, MLB, and perhaps WR. OL in FA is the primary focus though i think, with MLB close behind.

19 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Mike McGlinchey cannot play LT. Did you see him against Miami? He got destroyed with speed Rushers. The only lineman that I would trade down for is Conner Williams if healthy. 

He got destroyed all season long by speed rushers. Bellamy and Carter from Georgia both beat him multiple times wish speed rushes to the outside. (BTW Miami has a potential first round EDGE in Joe Jackson, so that's not a surprise really). McGlinchey is a pretty good run-blocker, though... 

I like all the feedback folks.....and I'm in agreeance with the consensus it seems.

LT - Castonzo

LG - *Norwell (FA)

C - Kelly

RG - *Hurst/Cooper/Jackson/Fulton - whichever FA comes the cheapest

RT - Good/Clark/Haeg training camp battle with the 2 losers being swingmen

IF this is the FA strategy then CB can go buckwild on the defensive side in the draft!

We need to find a way to get better play from our low draft picks/UDFAs. Our top end picks (Castanzo, Kelly, Mewhort when fit) seem to put in the individual performances that would be expected.

The issues with the line though don't seem to be purely down to talent, they just don't work ad well collectively as other teams seem to do.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

AC has been the most stable player on the OL during Luck's career. I'm with you and NCF don't see a need or means to upgrade LT.  The problem with the OL is and has been the interior. We need G's at least a starter and a solid back up. Even if Mewhort is back he's finished on the IR two years running. 

I'm confident Ballard will take care it. As everyone has said ideally we sign one and draft one. I don't expect a G day 1 but maybe day 2. Then we have Good Haeg and Clark to figure out RT.  The OL will hopefully get help from the new coaching staff and upgrades elsewhere on that side of the ball. 

11 minutes ago, akcolt said:

AC has been the most stable player on the OL during Luck's career. I'm with you and NCF don't see a need or means to upgrade LT.  The problem with the OL is and has been the interior. We need G's at least a starter and a solid back up. Even if Mewhort is back he's finished on the IR two years running. 

I'm confident Ballard will take care it. As everyone has said ideally we sign one and draft one. I don't expect a G day 1 but maybe day 2. Then we have Good Haeg and Clark to figure out RT.  The OL will hopefully get help from the new coaching staff and upgrades elsewhere on that side of the ball. 

It still boggles my mind that Irsay or Pagano didn’t insist Grigson bring in better Olinemen the entire time he was here.  A couple failed FAs and no real attempt in the draft until the last couple years.  Okay, I’ll let it go.

Lets overpay if we have to, get the two best Gs available and look to the draft on day 2 or 3 to improve the bench.  

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It still boggles my mind that Irsay or Pagano didn’t insist Grigson bring in better Olinemen the entire time he was here.  A couple failed FAs and no real attempt in the draft until the last couple years.  Okay, I’ll let it go.

Lets overpay if we have to, get the two best Gs available and look to the draft on day 2 or 3 to improve the bench.  

Not to try to defend Grigson because that's impossible, but alas injuries played a big role once again. Gosder Cherilus was good for a year and then was felled by injury. Donald Thomas may have worked out. We'll never know because of injury. Hugh Thornton looked like he had potential until he didn't. Khalid Holmes was a simple whiff in scouting. I can't predict injuries for OL who have no injury history. I don't hold Grigson accountable for the Cherilus or Thomas outcomes.

Again, I think Grigson was terrible at building a roster, but he did make some legit attempts to bolster the OL. 

4 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Not to try to defend Grigson because that's impossible, but alas injuries played a big role once again. Gosder Cherilus was good for a year and then was felled by injury. Donald Thomas may have worked out. We'll never know because of injury. Hugh Thornton looked like he had potential until he didn't. Khalid Holmes was a simple whiff in scouting. I can't predict injuries for OL who have no injury history. I don't hold Grigson accountable for the Cherilus or Thomas outcomes.

Again, I think Grigson was terrible at building a roster, but he did make some legit attempts to bolster the OL. 

Yes, on all accounts.  I really don’t want to get into a Grigson bashing thread, it’s all been said before. 

I’ll just reiterate something I’ve been saying for years.  If guys don’t work out for one reason or the other, you have to keep trying.  There were so many good FA linemen that he passed on throughout those years.  Fear of overpaying?  Well, we’re paying for it in all the lost Luck time from getting hit so much.  

I’m counting on Ballard to bring in the best experienced talent available in free agency.  

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

McDaniels uses the E-P 'concepts' system.  Everyone better learn the playbook in full, and be ready for audibles.  JB should be familiar with it, Luck can learn it easy.  The rest of the team?

Thoughts?

I'm going to entertain everybody's input, but have thoughts on top of them.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not only upgrade spots, but we have to

1. Keep O line healthy!!

Best O lines stay in the lineup and gel together.  Injury interrupts the gelling process

2. Improve depth for those occasions where one of the O line gets nicked up. 

Hopefully improving starters and backups with starting experience become good backups.

Finally, all O linemen must avoid drive killing penalties.  It makes no difference if your playbook is full of quick hitters if your linemen get called for holding on a 3rd and 3 and it is now 3rd and 13.  Won't help you.  Back to 5 or 7 step drop to get that first  down now most of the time.  So avoid penalties and be able to sustain a pass block for a couple of seconds at least for 3rd and long.

1 hour ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Speaking of offensive line, I noticed the winners of yesterdays games ( Falcons and Titans) had really good games by their front five.  I am fine if Ballard spends multiple picks early in the draft on OL. 

Completely agree that they have good lines but your conclusion is misdirected. 

Rather than proving that you need to fill your line with high picks they actually prove that you need to get more out of the low picks as part of a cohesive unit.

Atlanta have a 6th round pick and a UDFA manning the right side. Tennessee have an UDFA and 2 cheap pick up (one of them originally a UDFA plugging the interior and the other being a 4th) 

Over the last 7 or 8 years we've probably chucked more high end draft resources into the line than either of those teams.

If we want lines like those two teams then we can't ignore how they're actually built. Just constantly wanting more and more high end picks in that area isn't how it works for good teams in reality.

21 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

McDaniels uses the E-P 'concepts' system.  Everyone better learn the playbook in full, and be ready for audibles.  JB should be familiar with it, Luck can learn it easy.  The rest of the team?

1. Keep O line healthy!!

Best O lines stay in the lineup and gel together.  Injury interrupts the gelling process

Hopefully improving starters and backups with starting experience become good backups.

Finally, all O linemen must avoid drive killing penalties.  It makes no difference if your playbook is full of quick hitters if your linemen get called for holding on a 3rd and 3 and it is now 3rd and 13.  Won't help you.  Back to 5 or 7 step drop to get that first  down now most of the time.  So avoid penalties and be able to sustain a pass block for a couple of seconds at least for 3rd and long.

I wish someone had a formula for keeping the O line healthy. If I'm not mistaken the strength and conditioning coach was changed out about half way through Pagano's tenure. No noticeable change in the rate of injury. Some have suggested the LOS turf to be the cause. It seems as though about half of our injuries occur in away games. Also, the rest of the NFL teams seem to have OL injury issues as well. Maybe it's just a matter of the accumulated stress of 300 pounders facing off against each other 50 snaps a game. You can strengthen muscles but tendons not so much. Based on what I've been able to comprehend, "keeping the OL healthy" is a roll of the dice unfortunately. More of a random event that there is little control over.

I don't care with high draft picks or big money FA, we got to fix this oline.  We can't get buy with mediocre talent anymore.  Our division is loaded with young talented defenses.  We can't just rely on Luck anymore, we got to run the ball.  We got to go all out to fix this line even if that mean spending multiple draft picks and FA.   This oline saga got to end. I think we are good at LT and Center other than that we need much help.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

1. Keep O line healthy!!

It looks like New Orleans isn't one of those best OLs. They didn't keep Andrus Peat healthy today. (sarcasm)