Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden New Raiders Head Coach

Mel Kiper's Hair

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Oh wow. MTC hit the nail on the head...

Yeah no kidding. I'm curious to see how other owners are gonna react to this. I don't see this as something they particularly want to get started. If a head coach is also the owner, makes it much harder to hold them accountable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Bruce Arians.....MNF would be golden if they gave that guy a mic and a cooler full of beer.

It would be very entertaining, but I am positive he would swear up a storm with that much sauce in him. Did you see the Amazon series that followed the Cardinals a whole year? He likely would put himself in hot water quickly free lancing on the air.

37 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah no kidding. I'm curious to see how other owners are gonna react to this. I don't see this as something they particularly want to get started. If a head coach is also the owner, makes it much header to hold them accountable 

Definitely make it more uncomfortable to fire the guy.....how do you fire another owner lol. Guess buying him out would take on a whole other meaning. As for Gruden who would want to own something that fired you....very uncomfortable. Guess its all about the benjamins!

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

So no ownership stake? That makes me feel a little better for the Raiders and Gruden who I both like. The money is insane but nobody is jumping back in for just the money if they're not motivated. 

ESPN saying there is ownership stakes....

Gruden doesn’t deserve an ownership stake in my opinion.  Nothing special about him as a head coach. Plenty of more deserving head coaches never got part ownership.  This will likely be problematic and come back to haunt the Raiders down the road when it’s comes time to get rid of this guy.  Potentially very messy.  Glad it’s not us. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am happy for Gruden, I like Chuckie. I am not sure how well he will succeed. Raiders are a mess but they do have Carr so we will see.

I have never been a fan of his. I agree with Stitches. I just don't get what people see in him. All he is is this rah rah guy who craves attention and talks too much.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am out of LIKES but tried to laugh. I guess you think Chuckie sucks lmao 

Not that he sucks but he is overrated. I mean, $100 million??? I prefer more modest coaches like Coach Zimmer, Dan Quinn, and Andy Reid. 

What could POSSIBLY go wrong....

Couldn't happen to a better team, they're buying a fairy tale in my humble opinion.  It's easy to sound "all wise" when it's just talk. 

Throw in real life with its injuries, arrests (we ARE TALKING about Raiders) and an out of control locker room.  3 years in I bet they have massive regrets.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, crunked said:

Thank goodness someone hired him, now lets hope the same can happen for Josh McDaniels before we make an offer...........

haha and the Bears offer Mcdaniels 50% of the team and 200 mil for the next 20 years ensuring he will never be the Colts HC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crunked said:

anything, really I don't care if they offer him some over ripe banana's and a bag of skittles as long as he accepts....just my two least favorite Colt HC candidates, I would like to get them off the table ASAP.

Glad you don't run the team 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well somehow I think if he ran the team he wouldn't have paid an ex not so great HC who hasn't coached in 9 years 100 million dollar contract. An ex coach who has wore out his "Chucky" face out too.

He's talking about McDaniels too i don't give a damn about gruden 

21 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He's talking about McDaniels too i don't give a damn about gruden 

Either or, It don't matter. Any owner who ties up a head coach for 10 years at more money than Belichick makes is out of their mind.

Al Davis run himself crazy and IMO it rubbed off on his son.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Either or, It don't matter. Any owner who ties up a head coach for 10 years at more money than Belichick makes is out of their mind.

Al Davis run himself crazy and IMO it rubbed off on his son.

It's the raiders they were on track to be a good team they had to do something stupid 

I think the offense will be top of the league but that defense regressed badly and I think it will suck once again..they were great in Carr’s breakout year..then this year Mack’s talking about he can get 30 sacks haha. Not on that team my friend :( 

21 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Just shows why teams like the raiders and browns continue to suck and will likely to continue to suck. This is one of the lamest moves I believe in history of coaching hires. 

I'll even go as far as to hedge my bets that the raiders will never win a Super Bowl under Gruden.

They were pretty darn good under Del Rio, barring this past season. They have a lot of talent and are picking high in the draft. Gruden may very well get one or two more rings working with Derek Carr. 

Haven't seen this mentioned, so sorry if this has been discussed:

But, with the talks of Gruden getting ownership stakes in the deal, has anyone wondered if the talks of Irsay meeting with Gruden last season were true??? I guess my thinking is that, obviously Gruden's "asking price" was pretty massive, & if he & Irsay were in fact in talks last off season, maybe that was the tipping point. Along with the rest of the deal...

Anyways, just what came to mind when I heard of the deal...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

makes it hard to get rid of him if he doesnt do well

Not really man. People get to caught up in money like it's their own money. Davis will be fine if he wants to fire him. We're paying a coach who isn't here for the next two years. Just saying. 

What a stupid contract. I certainly hope that type of contract doesn't become popular in the NFL.

I like Gruden btw, but if he is doing bad, I imagine this contract would make it nearly impossible to fire him. Terrible. He better win a Super Bowl or 2 for that deal.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 3:13 PM, crazycolt1 said:

So the Raiders just by passed the Rooney rule?

Technically, no.  But by the intent of the rule... yes, they did.

" The Raiders complied with the Rooney Rule earlier in the week by interviewing tight ends coach Bobby Johnson and an unidentified college coach. Gruden hiring expected to be announced no later than early next week.

— Jim Trotter (@JimTrotter_NFL) January 5, 2018 "

They spent $100 million on their coach, why not just go ahead and pay the $200 grand and bypass satisfying the Rooney Rule?  That farce above is pitiful and while it does satisfy the letter of the Rooney Rule, it is completely amiss of the Spirit and Intent of it. It was a charade to get by without paying the fine.
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/6/2018 at 12:17 PM, Qwiz said:

They were pretty darn good under Del Rio, barring this past season. They have a lot of talent and are picking high in the draft. Gruden may very well get one or two more rings working with Derek Carr. 

It's looking good so far

• Like 1