Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jon Gruden New Raiders Head Coach

Mel Kiper's Hair

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Holy moly! The Raiders are truly insane! Why does Gruden have this type of reputation? I really don't get it. 

They wanted him. Raiders are gonna Raiders, but he had a cushy, well paying job on MNF, probably making $8m/year. Why go back to coaching if he can make the same money or more as a broadcaster? They had to offer him a financial windfall and some job security to get him out of the booth.

I think this contract is a better option than giving him a slice of ownership. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

They wanted him. Raiders are gonna Raiders, but he had a cushy, well paying job on MNF, probably making $8m/year. Why go back to coaching if he can make the same money or more as a broadcaster? They had to offer him a financial windfall and some job security to get him out of the booth.

Very True 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know but my idea was - why not get a better coach for like... half the money? They could have had anyone for half that money.... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I know but my idea was - why not get a better coach for like... half the money? They could have had anyone for half that money.... 

They might have been able to get someone else (maybe someone even better) for half the money, but this is about more than just the Head Coach position. The Raiders still have 2 more lame duck seasons in Oakland. They need anything they can to keep fans interested. Jon Gruden is a sexy hire that will keep people interested. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would've been ok if we had hired Gruden....     but NOT at that contract.  

Too much and too long.    I'm happy to let someone else write that check.

Our guy is likely to get roughly 5/25...   way more manageable if things ever go South.

Just shows why teams like the raiders and browns continue to suck and will likely to continue to suck. This is one of the lamest moves I believe in history of coaching hires. 

I'll even go as far as to hedge my bets that the raiders will never win a Super Bowl under Gruden.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I really like Gruden, but even I wouldn't have given him 10 years/$100 mil.  That's insane.  Perhaps they want to have him and Carr together/tied to the hip, a la Brady and Belichick?

The only info I can find on Belichicks contract is it's around 8.9 million a year. Gruden getting that type of money is insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

ESPN reporting that ownership stakes are part of the contract pending approval by the rest of the league owners

1 hour ago, Superman said:

If the NFL continues to lose viewers, franchise values will decrease.  It's always better to get cash.