Mel Kiper's Hair

Jon Gruden New Raiders Head Coach

Holy moly! The Raiders are truly insane! Why does Gruden have this type of reputation? I really don't get it. 

• Like 4

Whoooa!   Tooty Fruitie Oh Ruddddy.   Whap Bobba Loobop Ah Whap Bam Boom.   Damn that's a long contract.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Holy moly! The Raiders are truly insane! Why does Gruden have this type of reputation? I really don't get it. 

They wanted him. Raiders are gonna Raiders, but he had a cushy, well paying job on MNF, probably making $8m/year. Why go back to coaching if he can make the same money or more as a broadcaster? They had to offer him a financial windfall and some job security to get him out of the booth.

I think this contract is a better option than giving him a slice of ownership. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

They wanted him. Raiders are gonna Raiders, but he had a cushy, well paying job on MNF, probably making $8m/year. Why go back to coaching if he can make the same money or more as a broadcaster? They had to offer him a financial windfall and some job security to get him out of the booth.

Very True 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know but my idea was - why not get a better coach for like... half the money? They could have had anyone for half that money.... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I know but my idea was - why not get a better coach for like... half the money? They could have had anyone for half that money.... 

They might have been able to get someone else (maybe someone even better) for half the money, but this is about more than just the Head Coach position. The Raiders still have 2 more lame duck seasons in Oakland. They need anything they can to keep fans interested. Jon Gruden is a sexy hire that will keep people interested. 

2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I now have "Raiders gonna Raider" to the tune of "Shake it Off" by Taylor Swift in my head.

I still have that damn Barry Manilow song in my head thanks to UncleMark from the Basketball Thread. Freakin Barry of all people!

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would've been ok if we had hired Gruden....     but NOT at that contract.  

Too much and too long.    I'm happy to let someone else write that check.

Our guy is likely to get roughly 5/25...   way more manageable if things ever go South.

I guess they are figuring he and Derek Carr will make great music together.

• Haha 1

Just shows why teams like the raiders and browns continue to suck and will likely to continue to suck. This is one of the lamest moves I believe in history of coaching hires. 

I'll even go as far as to hedge my bets that the raiders will never win a Super Bowl under Gruden.

Wow thats an insane contract, i heard he is also getting some ownership in the team? This has got to be the craziest coaching contract ever.

I wonder how the deal is structured?  Maybe they have it to where they can easily get out of it in 5 years if it isn't working or something.

Mark Davis is way too broke to afford a stadium but can afford to give a coach who has been out of the league for almost a decade, 100 million.

• Sad 1

I really like Gruden, but even I wouldn't have given him 10 years/$100 mil.  That's insane.  Perhaps they want to have him and Carr together/tied to the hip, a la Brady and Belichick?

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I really like Gruden, but even I wouldn't have given him 10 years/$100 mil.  That's insane.  Perhaps they want to have him and Carr together/tied to the hip, a la Brady and Belichick?

The only info I can find on Belichicks contract is it's around 8.9 million a year. Gruden getting that type of money is insane.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So the Raiders just by passed the Rooney rule?

Yeah I know. They probably brought Lovie in for 5 minutes so they wont get in trouble lmao 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So the Raiders just by passed the Rooney rule?

No, league said multiple minorities were interviewed..... per nfl.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

ESPN reporting that ownership stakes are part of the contract pending approval by the rest of the league owners

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Are we really sure Al Davis isn't dead?

I said in an earlier comment the apple don't fall far from the tree.

Now it's the nut don't fall far from the tree. :D:D

Good for them. At least they wanted a guy and went and got him.

Not sure why his salary is bothering folks. He doesn't count against the cap for them. Good for him getting paid 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Raiders.

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

ESPN reporting that ownership stakes are part of the contract pending approval by the rest of the league owners

Oh wow. MTC hit the nail on the head...

1 hour ago, Superman said:

If the NFL continues to lose viewers, franchise values will decrease.  It's always better to get cash.