Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colin Cowherd says the first three picks in the 2018 NFL Draft is obvious. Do you agree?

Here's the transcript:

COLIN COWHERD: Now let me tell you the first three picks in the NFL draft. This is perfect. If these teams don't do what I say here, it-- they're *ic.

The first pick is Cleveland. You take Sam Darnold. Even though he grew up on the beach in California, he has sort of a Midwest ethos and a Midwest personality. In a cold division, he's a big, strong, physical, humble kid. He's got a Midwest ethos.

Go to Baltimore, go to Pittsburgh, go to Cincinnati. He's tougher, as they say, than a $4 steak. He's perfect for Cleveland. I know I'm saying that. He's perfect for Cleveland.

Josh Rosen should go, number two, to the Giants. He's coastal. He will not be overwhelmed by the sophistication or the pressure of New York.

He comes from some money. He's a West Coast kid. They vacation in the-- you know, the Nantucket region.

These are smart people. Not to say Darnold's not, but he's a big city kid. He can handle "The New York Times," "The New York Post," the New York media, the New York fans. He's like Eli. He can handle it.

And number three, Saquon Barkley should go to Indianapolis, who has the third pick. They'd be silly not to take him. We all know that every quarterback's better with a running game. Andrew Luck's been looking for a co-host in that backfield for five years. He's finally got one.

And let me tell you, if they draft Barkley, with Luck, write it down. Congrats, Tennessee, Jags. Your run's over. They'll dominate that division for eight years in Indianapolis. Because Barkley's a home run at a running back.

I'm not that high on Darnold...I think he needs another year to earn the #1 pick. He really has had a rough campaign this year. I honestly don't like Rosen either because of a lot what he has said (seems a little spoiled)...but can't see him getting past two. It probably would play out that way....but the draft is always full of surprises.

If the both QBs are taken then it makes sense to take Barkley at 3 since we likely won’t get the big trade offer many of us want.  Chubb as a pass rusher is tempting as well.  If Colts can trade back and still get Chubb then that is also in play.  But at the end of the day, we need to do what we can to make life in Indy easier for Luck. A stud young homerun hitter in the backfield would do just that provided Ballard invests to upgrade our offensive line in free agency. 

10 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I 100% agree with him, Brown might take Rosen over Darnold, but we really do need a big time playmaker on the offense, Barkley would be perfect, everybody and their grandma knows that TY is our only playmaker.

As much as every one says Colts need to be a complete team...this team has won in the past with prolific offense and good enough defense.  The offense thus far during the Luck era has not been explosive. We were close early on but the Trent Richardson bust derailed us.  Plus neither a Pagano nor his choice of offensive coordinators were competent offensive play callers. Time to get back to exciting Colts offense. The way Ballard is building our defense thus far it will eventually be good enough to win with a prolific and balanced Colts offense.

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

Colin's Picks

1.Darnold (Browns)

2.Rosen  (Giants)

3.Barkley (Colts)

I think those are 3 of the possile 4....    Chubb being the other.

I don't see Ballard using our pick on Barkley.     Not when this is another strong year for RB's and there are good ones to be taken in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds....      He can take Chubb or an O-lineman and take the RB later.

1 hour ago, Shepman said:

So if your Cleveland do you trade up one spot with Colts and pair your new QB with Barkley?  I would be thinking long and hard about that one and how much easier it would make the QB life.

Yes, then we could trade the 4th to either Denver or NYJ whoever is the highest bidder between the two. 

3 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

Here's the transcript:

COLIN COWHERD: Now let me tell you the first three picks in the NFL draft. This is perfect. If these teams don't do what I say here, it-- they're *ic.

The first pick is Cleveland. You take Sam Darnold. Even though he grew up on the beach in California, he has sort of a Midwest ethos and a Midwest personality. In a cold division, he's a big, strong, physical, humble kid. He's got a Midwest ethos.

Go to Baltimore, go to Pittsburgh, go to Cincinnati. He's tougher, as they say, than a $4 steak. He's perfect for Cleveland. I know I'm saying that. He's perfect for Cleveland.

Josh Rosen should go, number two, to the Giants. He's coastal. He will not be overwhelmed by the sophistication or the pressure of New York.

He comes from some money. He's a West Coast kid. They vacation in the-- you know, the Nantucket region.

These are smart people. Not to say Darnold's not, but he's a big city kid. He can handle "The New York Times," "The New York Post," the New York media, the New York fans. He's like Eli. He can handle it.

And number three, Saquon Barkley should go to Indianapolis, who has the third pick. They'd be silly not to take him. We all know that every quarterback's better with a running game. Andrew Luck's been looking for a co-host in that backfield for five years. He's finally got one.

And let me tell you, if they draft Barkley, with Luck, write it down. Congrats, Tennessee, Jags. Your run's over. They'll dominate that division for eight years in Indianapolis. Because Barkley's a home run at a running back.

Cowerd always has to put down the center of the country by calling them dumb and poor relative to the coasts.  His opinion bleeds through everything he says whether he tries to or not.

And he says the word "smart" about every 20 minutes.

Without being too plugged into the College scene, I am intrigued by the Chubb/Barkley decision for Ballard.

Ballard has repeatedly said he is a BPA guy as he has had his hands burnt by not adopting that approach in the past.  Both positions would address a position of need.  If we don't trade back, I think it comes down to the personalities of the guys which, again, Ballard has always preached is a huge factor. 

Such a great position to be in. :thmup:

This team isn't "plug and play" ready, we need more players than just 1. Barkley is fine, but so is Chubb. Orlando Brown would also be a super player. If we trade down with the Jets and get their #1, #2 and another pick, like maybe next years #2 we could still get one of our needs and have another high pick to address yet another need.

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yes, then we could trade the 4th to either Denver or NYJ whoever is the highest bidder between the two. 

That would be amazing. The potential with that many picks increases the probability of improving the team substantially.

6 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Without being too plugged into the College scene, I am intrigued by the Chubb/Barkley decision for Ballard.

Ballard has repeatedly said he is a BPA guy as he has had his hands burnt by not adopting that approach in the past.  Both positions would address a position of need.  If we don't trade back, I think it comes down to the personalities of the guys which, again, Ballard has always preached is a huge factor. 

Such a great position to be in. :thmup:

Great Edge prospects just don't come around all that often and they're even rarer in FA. The Colts' pass rush was pretty much nonexistent this past season, but they're in a perfect position to get a huge upgrade by grabbing Chubb with that #3 pick. RB is a need, but they could get someone like Chubb's cousin Nick in the 3rd round and still improve the running game. I would much rather see them go Edge-OL-RB, or Edge-OL-ILB in the first three rounds than bet that Barkley can be the guy who will turn the team around. 

I hate to say, because I'm pretty anti RBs in the top of the first, but dang Barkley is tempting. He's just so good. Home run ability. Breaks tackles. Can block. Elusive. And an excellent receiver. A creative OC can do wonders with him, Mack, TY and Luck.

And then there's Chubb. He's a great player. Best edge rusher in the class no doubt....but he's no Von Miller or Myles Garrett. Which is fine. Just cause he's not "generational talent" level doesn't mean he'd be a bad pick. But this is (hopefully) going to be the only time Indy picks top 3 for the next few years. Ideally, if you have that pick, you'd want to take a guy with that kind of label, which Barkley has (and to be fair, we did say the same thing about Fournette, and Zeke the years before). 

Still a ways to go before the draft. Lets see what they do in FA. I imagine that'd give a clue on the teams decision for the 3rd pick (if they don't trade it). I'm still not completely behind taking Barkley 3rd overall.....but I'm not against it either.

8 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I hate to say, because I'm pretty anti RBs in the top of the first, but dang Barkley is tempting. He's just so good. Home run ability. Breaks tackles. Can block. Elusive. And an excellent receiver. A creative OC can do wonders with him, Mack, TY and Luck.

And then there's Chubb. He's a great player. Best edge rusher in the class no doubt....but he's no Von Miller or Myles Garrett. Which is fine. Just cause he's not "generational talent" level doesn't mean he'd be a bad pick. But this is (hopefully) going to be the only time Indy picks top 3 for the next few years. Ideally, if you have that pick, you'd want to take a guy with that kind of label, which Barkley has (and to be fair, we did say the same thing about Fournette, and Zeke the years before). 

Still a ways to go before the draft. Lets see what they do in FA. I imagine that'd give a clue on the teams decision for the 3rd pick (if they don't trade it). I'm still not completely behind taking Barkley 3rd overall.....but I'm not against it either.

If Barkley is there I think we should take him. That may not be popular with some in here and I get it because we need Defense and O.Line help. Having said that Barkley has Barry Sanders with size written all over him and we still have 6 more picks to beef up the D and O.Line.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Barkley is there I think we should take him. That may not be popular with some in here and I get it because we need Defense and O.Line help. Having said that Barkley has Barry Sanders with size written all over him and we still have 6 more picks to beef up the D and O.Line.

I would love Barkley on this team too, but I think a lot of it depends on what Ballard does to improve this OL in free agency. If Barkley is brought in, he needs to have an improved OL to run behind. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great point, Free Agency will determine a lot.

I agree FA will determine a lot.  If Ballard does sign a couple of FA lineman I can see him taking Barclay.  BPA in the draft.  That is going to be hard to pass up. A GM doesn't get that opportunity very often.  At least they hope not to. He just might do it and it sounds like Irsay would love it.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:25 PM, CheezyColt said:

And if you watch a highlight reel of Chubb you'll never see him miss a tackle or not make a play.  Highlight reels only show the good, of course he's going to look amazing.

we should draft the most elite player not sure chubb is elite

16 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we should draft the most elite player not sure chubb is elite

I think my #1 choice if we couldn't trade down from 3rd overall would now be Minkah Fitzpatrick. This dude is elite and he could easily be this team's #1 shutdown corner. Having 2 elite players in the secondary would do wonders for this defense. 

On 1/5/2018 at 4:14 PM, BProland85 said:

I would love Barkley on this team too, but I think a lot of it depends on what Ballard does to improve this OL in free agency. If Barkley is brought in, he needs to have an improved OL to run behind. 

i dont hink ballard will want new draft picks on the o-line , he will want proven talent to protect luck

21 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think my #1 choice if we couldn't trade down from 3rd overall would now be Minkah Fitzpatrick. This dude is elite and he could easily be this team's #1 shutdown corner. Having 2 elite players in the secondary would do wonders for this defense. 

I agree.  I think the oline needs additions but luck will be able to put up points regardless of the rb.  Focus on d and fistzpatrick looks exceptional.  

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

By the way, if we pick Barkley at #3, Ballard loses two full letter grades in my book. 

IDK man, I for one still doesn't think Barkley will be there and I have stated I wanted Nelson, but if we somehow get Norwell in FA and Barkley is there at 3 and we don't trade out of that spot I'm starting to lean on taking him. From what I have been reading there is a lot of people saying this guy is the best college RB ever. I'm not sure you can pass up on a guy that may be lights out a guaranteed super star

On 1/4/2018 at 10:28 AM, DraftMaster said:

Here's the transcript:

I like Cowherd.   Always have.     He's an outside the box kind of thinker.    Completely different than most who do his job on radio or TV.

That said....     Cowherd is NOT a draft guru.     He's smart enough to know it's a hot topic of interest.    That it gets internet clicks.     That people will listen to what he says and that churns up discussion.     It's great for business.

But CC is not a draft expert in any sense of the word.     Could he be right?     Sure.    But if he is it's because a broken clock is right twice a day.     Ballard may prefer Chubb and the pass rush he brings?      Ballard may prefer to address the O-line with his pick of the best O-lineman in the draft?    Ballard may prefer to trade back a bit and collect more picks as the Colts need a ton of help.     Who knows what Ballard may prefer.

I just know it's NOT as obvious as Cowherd makes it seem.