Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 Ultimate Colts Mock Offseason 1.0

Coaching Changes:

Dave Toub ST-Kansas City is hired as the new head coach of the Colts.

Free Agency:

Blue=Colts Black=Rest of the League

1. K-Adam Vinatieri 1yr (Annual Cap: $2,500,000)

➡Wants to return in 2018, Colts will not let Vinatieri go.

1. OLB-Barkevious Mingo 2yr(Annual Cap: $1,500,000)

➡Seen as a backup OLB so no big money, but the Colts want insurance at the OLB position.

1. CB-Rashaan Melvin 3yr(Annual Cap: $4,500,000)

➡A big time Corner now, the Colts will want to lock up an extremely talented CB for years to come.

1. CB-Pierre Desir 1yr(Annual Cap: $1,000,000)

➡A backup CB, insurance at the CB position.

1. ILB-Jon Bostic 2yr(Annual Cap: $4,000,000)

➡Bostic will be a thrifty ILB to match with Williamson below. Could be a starter, but will have to prove himself against a 2018 draftee.

1. C-Michael Person 1yr(Annual Cap $750,000)

➡Insurance at the center position.

1. G-Jack Mewhort 1yr(Annual Cap $4,000,000)

➡Mewhort has been pretty good with Indy so the Colts resign him. But this does not mean that he will not have some competition as they will draft a guard later on. A 1 year prove-it deal.

1. WR-Donte Moncrief 1yr(Annual Cap $2,000,000)

➡Moncrief went from a rising star to a draft bust. The Colts put Moncrief on contract year again. But this does not mean that he will not have some competition as they will draft a guard later on. A 1 year prove-it deal as well.

1. TE-Jimmy Graham 3yr(Annual Cap: $8,000,000)

➡Many reports have shown that the Hawks may leave Graham on the table for extra cap space to fix their O-Line. The Colts feel that having two great TE’s could improve Luck’s passing situation.

1. G-Andrew Norwell 2yr(Annual Cap: $10,000,000)

➡The Panthers have a measly 20 million in cap space compared to the Colts 89 million. Norwell goes to Indy to improve a patchwork offensive line.

1. CB-Patrick Robinson 3yr(Annual Cap: $9,000,000)

➡Truly an elite corner. The Colts pair him with a great corner in Rashaan Melvin to create a dangerous place for opposing QB’s to throw. Eagles have a terrible cap situation in 2018, 2nd worst and -2 million to be exact. The Colts will take their CB of choice in Robinson.

1. ILB-Avery Williamson 3yr(Annual Cap: $8,000,000)

➡There were a few ILB’s that I liked in this Free Agency class but this seems the most plausible. I think Ballard will want to sign a young, 26 year old ILB that is a high quality player.

1. DE-DeMarcus Lawrence 3yr(Annual Cap: $15,000,000)

➡Another elite addition to the defense as DeMarcus Lawrence will probably go out into the open market as the Cowboys have only 26 million in free agency dollars.

1. RB-Dion Lewis 2yr(Annual Cap: $5,500,000)

➡ One of the most underrated RB’s in the NFL. He leads the NFL in yards after contact. This stat means that even behind a mediocre line he can still generate some yards anyway.

Total Cap: $89,840,400

Total Spent:$78,750,000

---------------------------------------

Total Remaining:$11,090,400

+$73,851,844 in 2019 Cap Space

=$84,942,224 Total 2019 Cap/7th in the NFL

Overall FA Analysis:

The Colts can resign much of their own players while still going out and bringing in some big time stars while still having some room to spare for in season usage and additional 2019 cap room. They have a lot of cap space to make some moves and the reason for each players selection in the market is shown above. This situation is plausible and if the Colts want to have a shot at the postseason in 2018, they have to bring in some big money players.

Draft:

RD1 PK3: Bradley Chubb-DE North Carolina State University

To everyone who wants to take Barkley. Look, I get that he would be an amazing compliment to Luck. But look at this stat:Andrew Luck is undefeated (25-0) when the Colts allow 19 points or less in his NFL career.That said, I feel that we have to take Chubb and then go with the O-Line in later rounds and with free agency as well. Imagine if we could allow 19 points or less every game in 2018? Not 16-0, but very close to that. Chubb could pair up with Lawrence to terrorize opposing quarterbacks for years to come.

Trade: RD2 PK3+RD4 PK3

Get:RD1 PK28

From LAR

RD1 PK28: Orlando Brown-OT Oklahoma

The pass rushing corps was addressed in free agency and some pass defending linebackers were found as well. But an offensive tackle was not picked up. Since there are many solid OT prospects in this draft I conclude that one will fall into the late first and the Colts will trade up to get him.

RD3 PK3: Will Hernandez-G UTEP

It’s been rumored that Hernandez may be better than Nelson, who is a projected 1st rounder. Though I think that he isn't close to Nelson, this does not mean that he isn’t high quality. A strong guard at a good value to protect Luck and to compete with Mewhort at the right guard position.

RD5 PK3: Deon Cain-WR Clemson

A deep threat for Luck behind Hilton and Moncrief, nice pickup.

RD6 PK3 Nick DeLuca- ILB North Dakota State

A nice selection to add much needed depth at the linebacker position.

RD7 PK3 Kemoko Turay-EDGE Rutgers

The Colts also could use some pass rushing depth as well. We’ll see how he does at the Senior Bowl.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks For Reading!

Thats a BIG Splash in FA, im not sure Ballard will spend that much money, even if he does that is a lot of good players to choose the Colts and the contract we offer. Robinson was on our team last year and Moncreif wont come back on a 1 year deal, someone will pick him up in FA.

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

At first the Patrick Robinson thing sounded ridiculous, but I suppose plenty of players have returned to a team after being cut by that team a year earlier...  not that it's going to happen.

You never know, he was hampered by injuries all last year. PFF has him at #4 among CB's:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/patrick-robinson/5557

I think they should get a WR to compete with Moncrief, not a guard!!!

I don’t like bringing Patrick Robinson back. I know he played well this year, I’d just rather go for Trumaine Johnson or someone like that. No thanks to Lewis and Graham either. Other than that, not too bad.

A very interesting read and obviously a lot of thought gone into it so thanks for sharing.

I have big hopes for a returning Swoope next year and so not sure Graham is good value and would rather see more of Wilson opposite Melvin than spend big on someone we ditched not long ago. 

Lots of good options though.

I still don't know who I would go for between Chubb and Barkley in the draft. 

53 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Thats a BIG Splash in FA, im not sure Ballard will spend that much money, even if he does that is a lot of good players to choose the Colts and the contract we offer. Robinson was on our team last year and Moncreif wont come back on a 1 year deal, someone will pick him up in FA.

I think we let Moncrief walk he is too fragile and inconsistent and didn't do anything this year.

TBH...I was good until I got to re-signing Bostic. After that, I was not a fan...aside from Norwell and Chubb.

It will be interesting to see how Ballard approaches the offense this offseason...specifically the skill positions.

At TE, I think a vet FA could be added to the mix. I still have lot of hope for Swoope...but the Colts are going to need depth and insurance. They were exposed at the positon this past season...so Ballard won't make that mistake again. Jimmy Graham would be an interesting target on a cheap one-year deal...but not much more than that. If the Colts could get ASJ or Eifert cheap...I would prefer that route. The draft is also a possibility...as this draft class appears to have some mid-round depth...though not as strong as last season.

At WR, Moncrief won't be back...and Ballard is going to spend some FA money on a WR...maybe even a depth guy as well. I would also expect another WR will come via the draft...leaving the Colts with Hilton, FA, Rogers and draft pick. The WR group is going to overhauled.

At RB, I think the focus will be in the draft, but I could see Ballard targeting a FA as well.