Jump to content
csmopar

Hire the Next HC of the Colts(list updated 1/12/18)

Hire the next HC!  

234 members have voted

  1. 1. If you are the GM/Owner of the Colts, who would you hire from the names rumored to be in the hunt thus far....

    • Josh McDaniels-OC Patriots
    • Dave Toub- ST Cord. Chiefs
    • Mike Vrabel-DC Texans
    • Kris Richard-DC Seahawks
    • Pat Schurmur-OC Vikings (unconfirmed 1070 the fan report)
    • Other: Please comment with who and why


Recommended Posts

I know this is driven by petty hate for the patriots but i can't stand the thought of it being McDaniels.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Mcdaniels.  Especially when Irsay is demanding a minimum of 2 Super Bowl titles during the Luck era.  The fact that the Pats have done that and more under Mcdaniels as the OC is going to have some weight with Irsay.

I'm not opposed to him but he does make me nervous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

It would take most of these options over Mcdaniels, but i chose Shurmur

Just curious as to why you'd take "most of these options" over McDaniels?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, HeSoColt said:

Just curious as to why you'd take "most of these options" over McDaniels?!

1.He was involved in the infamous Spygate scandal, as well as a seperate videotaping scandal when he was HC in Denver.

 

2. Last time he had a HC coaching job he failed quite miserably,

 

3. Reports out of Denver and NE whether true or not go to show he is not a 'locker room' guy. Basically he is not a very likable person.

 

4. I personally dont think he will have success without BB and Brady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Voted Nagy, but I would fine with McDaniels.

 

I voted for McDaniels, he's my guy at this point. That's assuming Luck will be healthy though, but in the event that he isn't, no one has more familiarity with Brissett than McDaniels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve noticed some people knocking McDaniels for having Brady as a QB on this site and some others.  But Toub is viewed as the “greatest special teams coach ever” when he had Devin Hester.  I’m sorry but I think Hester has shown himself to be great at returns with or without Toub.  Matter of fact, give McMahon (our Special Teams coach) Hester along with McAfee and Vinny and he should be considered the greatest...  So why isn’t McMahon getting HC consideration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

Ron Rivera

 

I don't really consider him to be from the Andy Reid tree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I don't really consider him to be from the Andy Reid tree. 

Why? He was under him in Philly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why? He was under him in Philly 

 

And then he was under Lovie, and then worked for Norv Turner. He's a defensive coach so his influences are more closely associated with that side of the ball. Jim Johnson was the DC in Philly, and Ted Cotrell was the DC in San Diego. What would Rivera have learned from Reid 15 years ago that would be a major part of his approach now?

 

I consider Rivera to be part of the Lovie Smith tree more than the Andy Reid tree. JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

And then he was under Lovie, and then worked for Norv Turner. He's a defensive coach so his influences are more closely associated with that side of the ball. Jim Johnson was the DC in Philly, and Ted Cotrell was the DC in San Diego. What would Rivera have learned from Reid 15 years ago that would be a major part of his approach now?

 

I consider Rivera to be part of the Lovie Smith tree more than the Andy Reid tree. JMO

Maybe so but everything I see has him part of Andy's tree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

But he is probably the best special teams coach in the game.  He is well respected in the league.  John Harbaugh was only a special teams coach as well.  I've seen a multitude of hot shot coordinators and college coaches fail as well.  If he interviews the best and you feel that he could lead your team then hire him.

John Harbaugh also was the coach for the Eagles Defensive back too. Toubs only did special teams and that it. That all he is known for nothing else. John Harbaugh also had the best defense in the league and defensive capt Ray Rewis which made his job pretty easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

John Harbaugh also was the coach for the Eagles Defensive back too. Toubs only did special teams and that it. That all he is known for nothing else. John Harbaugh also had the best defense in the league and defensive capt Ray Rewis which made his job pretty easy.

Every head coach in the league started out as coach. It really don't matter what kind of coach as long as he can get players to follow what all of the coordinators and assistant coaches have to teach and instruct their players.

A good head coach can be found anywhere as long as you find the right person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

1.He was involved in the infamous Spygate scandal, as well as a seperate videotaping scandal when he was HC in Denver.

 

2. Last time he had a HC coaching job he failed quite miserably,

 

3. Reports out of Denver and NE whether true or not go to show he is not a 'locker room' guy. Basically he is not a very likable person.

 

4. I personally dont think he will have success without BB and Brady.

So if Belichick said he wanted to coach the Colts how would you feel about that?  He was the center if "spygate".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Voted Other 

Matt LaFleur Rams OC

 

Nothing like IGNORING the explanation on why LaFleur isn't a good candidate.

 

There's an old saying.....    You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink....     oh well....      

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want an OC to become Colts HC and install a system which Luck can operate in for years to come. That's why I I'm not so much on the Toub bandwagon. If his OC is successful, he might leave and we have yet another new offense for AL. 

 

I'm interested in Shurmur b/c he built a quite respectable offense around a QB who had been cut 5 times (Keenum), got Adam Thielen (!) a spot in the Pro Bowl at WR, did well in Philly, and has head coaching experience.

 

There are other good OC candidates too. I think the most important thing is an offensive system being in place for many years to come.  

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

So if Belichick said he wanted to coach the Colts how would you feel about that?  He was the center if "spygate".

Obviously would be a little different story as BB is a proven head coach in this league with 5 superbowls. Although i would still be leary as in many peoples opinion he has not always "played fair". In my personal opinion the Pats superbowls will always be tarnished for these reasons. If im the owner of the Colts these are definetly things i take in to account when deciding who will lead my team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Obviously would be a little different story as BB is a proven head coach in this league with 5 superbowls. Although i would still be leary as in many peoples opinion he has not always "played fair". In my personal opinion the Pats superbowls will always be tarnished for these reasons. If im the owner of the Colts these are definetly things i take in to account when deciding who will lead my team.

I wasn't being totally serious about Belichick. My point was no matter where the next head coach comes from they just have to be the right one..

If he was a special teams coordinator who cares if he can get the job done? Does it really make any difference where a positional coach comes from as long as he can put together a good set of coordinators?  A head coach's job is to put his team in the best possible situation to win. End of story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted Nagy, he is only 39 and is a Good OC. Has KC ties to Ballard as well so I think that relationship would click chemistry wise.

To follow this up I see Nagy is in 2nd even over Toub at the moment in our Poll. Looks like people are really in love with McDaniels. If McDaniels got hired I wouldn't complain but he failed miserably in Denver and seems like a person that is arrogant that may not be a good locker room guy. Not sure how Luck would like him either? McDaniels has been a Great OC but also has had BB and Tom most of his career as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

John Harbaugh also was the coach for the Eagles Defensive back too. Toubs only did special teams and that it. That all he is known for nothing else. John Harbaugh also had the best defense in the league and defensive capt Ray Rewis which made his job pretty easy.

BB has had the arguably the best QB ever, you want to downgrade his accomplishments as well?  Also, he didn't primarily coach the secondary as his primary coaching responsibility was special teams.  Toub helped with the defensive line during the same time frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, krunk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Mcdaniels.  Especially when Irsay is demanding a minimum of 2 Super Bowl titles during the Luck era.  The fact that the Pats have done that and more under Mcdaniels as the OC is going to have some weight with Irsay.

 

Having someone that have the inside track of how Belichick’s mind work wouldn’t be bad either. They will probably still be the team to beat in AFC, if you want to go all the way.

 

”Thou shall not pass!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So if Belichick said he wanted to coach the Colts how would you feel about that?  He was the center if "spygate".

Would hate it don't like Mcdaniels either he seems like a cancer to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports are Matt Nagy would bring Mike Pettine with him as DC if he lands a headcoach job.   Does this change anyone's mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Reports are Matt Nagy would bring Mike Pettine with him as DC if he lands a headcoach job.   Does this change anyone's mind?

not really the 3 4 defense need to go in indy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Reports are Matt Nagy would bring Mike Pettine with him as DC if he lands a headcoach job.   Does this change anyone's mind?

I have seen Mike linked to Toub as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Dave Toub is going to be the Colts next HC.

Mark my words.

I think you are right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

not really the 3 4 defense need to go in indy

Pettine runs a hybrid system and conforms to his talent not the other way around.  Versatility is key for that defense.  Google Mike Pettine, and read some articles if you are interested.  It is pretty interesting regarding his philosophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

not really the 3 4 defense need to go in indy

Funny thing is.... just 6 years ago, this forum was BEGGING for the switch to a 3-4 base defense........ We have some decent pieces, but if we can get a decent OLB/Edge, and some upgrades at coverage ILB, I think it'll be good.

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

I have seen Mike linked to Toub as well.

Seen that too

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

Pettine runs a hybrid system and conforms to his talent not the other way around.  Versatility is key for that defense.  Google Mike Pettine, and read some articles if you are interested.  It is pretty interesting regarding his philosophy.

Yep, and his coaching tree stems from some very good defense coaches.  Combined with the fact he actually for the browns to win 10 games in his tenure, 7 in one season, the 2nd most successful year for the Browns in the last 20-25, speaks volumes.  Yeah he went 10-22 in his head coach tenure, but it is the browns..... Even the Hooded one flamed out in Cleveland.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I had us 9-7 just based on guessing/hoping/predicting Luck would be healthy and play great. I was right but a lucky guess, I guess  . I thought that would get us a 6th seed. We won 10 games which got us in.
    • For the first time in a while, I am impressed with the Colts development of players. If this current trend continues, a lot of opinions will change. 
    • I had us going 10-6 and winning the AFC South. I knew with Luck back we'd be at minimum .500, and I thought by adding Nelson, Ebron, and Cain, our O would be pretty decent, and enough to take the South. We were 10-6, but didn't win the South.  I wasn't counting on our D being as good, so I guess they overachieved. Honestly I'm still not sold on our D. This year will be a much bigger test.
    • There appears to be a possibility that the Pacers acquire 31-year-old Eric Gordon, the shooting guard for the Rockets.   Houston wants Jimmy Butler but they don't have cap space to sign him. The 76ers would have to sign Jimmy and trade him to Houston. But Houston cant send the 76ers matching salaries because Philadelphia already has to sign Tobias Harris, JJ Reddick and soon Embid and Ben Simmons..   So the 76ers and Houston have to find a third team who could acquire some salary. In the theory of this trade: That team would be the Pacers who would take the final year of Eric Gordon's contract at $15 mil   Obviously, Gordon is an IU grad and Indianapolis native. He comes off the Houston bench behind Chris Paul and James Harden. 16.2 per game last year and 16.7 for his 11-year career..   Forgetting how crazy Houston's locker room would be with Paul, Harden and Butler, is there a downside to acquiring Gordon, who would start until Oladipo returns? We might have to give up next year's No.1 pick.
    • Here is a serious question, does anyone want to win the NL Central? I mean seriously  . We are winning it but just give games away like the Brewers and Cards do as well.
  • Members

    • Arby0359

      Arby0359 12

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 400

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jdubu

      Jdubu 865

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • tweezy32

      tweezy32 368

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 382

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dodsworth

      dodsworth 933

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Kyle

      Kyle 897

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • brently76

      brently76 17

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • mds

      mds 33

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • wig

      wig 884

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...