Steamboat_Shaun

Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not a bad article. Question is, has that fact finding mission made him ready for the next HC job

No idea, but he has seemingly taken the proper steps and at least shown a willingness to humble himself and try to evolve.  I would be happy with this hire as I think he does have tremendous potential but I also like Toub for similar reasons.  I would be happy with either one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm okay with Mcdaniels only if the Colts feel he has matured and improved as a communicator, a leader, a teacher and developer of men.  I've seen enough from him mentally to know he's a sharp football coach.    It's troubling to me to hear a punter speak ill of the coach granted this was years ago.  I'm A okay if they pass on him for lack of being convinced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm okay with Mcdaniels only if the Colts feel he has matured and improved as a communicator, a leader, a teacher and developer of men.  I've seen enough from him mentally to know he's a sharp football coach.    It's troubling to me to hear a punter speak ill of the coach granted this was years ago.  I'm A okay if they pass on him for lack of being convinced.

What if McDaniels decides to pass on taking the Colts job?  Both sides have to agree for the hire to happen.  With the number of teams interested in JM, and the number of candidates to be interviewed, it's far from even a 50-50 proposition that JM comes to Indy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

No idea, but he has seemingly taken the proper steps and at least shown a willingness to humble himself and try to evolve.  I would be happy with this hire as I think he does have tremendous potential but I also like Toub for similar reasons.  I would be happy with either one.

Toub is probably the safer hire and Ballard’s familiarity with him may give him the edge.  I don’t think previous head coaching experience is a big prerequisite for Ballard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roger said:

What if McDaniels decides to pass on taking the Colts job?  Both sides have to agree for the hire to happen.  With the number of teams interested in JM, and the number of candidates to be interviewed, it's far from even a 50-50 proposition that JM comes to Indy.

This is 100% true. The fact that he's interviewing shows he's interested in the job, but he could get to NY or CHI and be blown away. We're competing for coaches in the same way coaches are competing for jobs. Just have to hope you find the right fit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Roger said:

What if McDaniels decides to pass on taking the Colts job?  Both sides have to agree for the hire to happen.  With the number of teams interested in JM, and the number of candidates to be interviewed, it's far from even a 50-50 proposition that JM comes to Indy.

I'm okay if it doesn't happen.   He wasn't really my first preference anyway.

I'm just not against him being hired if it does happen.  I'm only against it if they feel he hasn't grown and matured. I'm totally okay if another opportunity fits him better and he decides to go that way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Perhaps.....   but if you had more good news why wouldn't you share it?

 

Luck himself couldn't say with any certainty that he wouldn't need a second operation.

 

i think we won't know until sometime in April...

Luck said at this time he doesn't anticipate any additional surgeries. Thats pretty direct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

 

I think you’re wrong about that. Because what happens if Luck is not ready or get injured in week 1 (heaven forbid!), then you’re stuck with a HC that might lose the motivating thing for being here. Not what Ballard is about. And main reason why I think Ballard would never want Gruden here. He has to think about the possibility of a future without Luck and needs a HC that will work their butt off with any given QB. 

The coach isn't gonna not be motivated because luck is out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The coach isn't gonna not be motivated because luck is out 

Right...as Ballard said in the press conference if Luck’s absence is what makes a coaching candidate not want to be in Indy then he isn’t the right man for the job. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Right...as Ballard said in the press conference if Luck’s absence is what makes a coaching candidate not want to be in Indy then he isn’t the right man for the job. 

 

This. :thmup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Right...as Ballard said in the press conference if Luck’s absence is what makes a coaching candidate not want to be in Indy then he isn’t the right man for the job. 

I agree to a point.  Many coaches and players don't want to go to Cleveland. Without Luck, Indy is like Cleveland. But with fewer draft picks.

  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roger said:

I agree to a point.  Many coaches and players don't want to go to Cleveland. Without Luck, Indy is like Cleveland. But with fewer draft picks.

Sorry, but the Colts are nothing like Cleveland, even without Luck... when it comes to franchise attraction. Our owner is steadfast in his beliefs, and he gives those he hires the time they need to prove they can do the job. Extremely poor comparison. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Roger said:

I agree to a point.  Many coaches and players don't want to go to Cleveland. Without Luck, Indy is like Cleveland. But with fewer draft picks.

I get the general gist of what you’re saying but the Colts didn’t go winless.  They did scratch out four wins with a back up QB and were fairly competitive in most of the games they lost this season.  Not quite the Browns level of futility without Luck but not too far removed perhaps.  I think the Colts GM is superior to what they have in Cleveland so Indy will find it’s way eventually regardless of Luck’s ultimate status.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roger said:

I agree to a point.  Many coaches and players don't want to go to Cleveland. Without Luck, Indy is like Cleveland. But with fewer draft picks.

we beat the browns without luck this year

 

you should also consider that teams looking for head coaches are usually not very good.  thats why they fired the coach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I get the general gist of what you’re saying but the Colts didn’t go winless.  They did scratch out four wins with a back up QB and were fairly competitive in most of the games they lost this season.  Not quite the Browns level of futility without Luck but not too far removed perhaps.  I think the Colts GM is superior to what they have in Cleveland so Indy will find it’s way eventually regardless of Luck’s ultimate status.  

We pick third.  It doesn't look much better than Cleveland.

 

Don't misunderstand, I think we will "find our way", which is a good way to say it.  I'm just not convinced that Indy is as attractive to candidates as many here assume.  People have been posting that this is the primo job among those that are available.  I think they're looking through blue tinted glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Roger said:

I agree to a point.  Many coaches and players don't want to go to Cleveland. Without Luck, Indy is like Cleveland. But with fewer draft picks.

 

Seriously?

 

The Colts Organization is nothing, i mean nothing, like the Cleveland Browns. As an organization we are just simply on another level in so many areas. 

 

What concerns me the most is this comparison came from a Colts fan. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roger said:

We pick third.  It doesn't look much better than Cleveland.

 

Don't misunderstand, I think we will "find our way", which is a good way to say it.  I'm just not convinced that Indy is as attractive to candidates as many here assume.  People have been posting that this is the primo job among those that are available.  I think they're looking through blue tinted glasses.

Well I agree that the Indy job isn’t as attractive as it would have been going into last offseason. I think your putting the Colts sans Luck on equal footing with the Brown’s job is why you are catching a little bit of flack. The Browns front office is widely perceived as incompetent. The Colts arent perfect but have generally shown more direction over time than the Browns franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 6:39 PM, krunk said:

Again I think the Xs and Os would be fine with Mcdaniels, but I still have concerns about the personality fit between him, Ballard, and Irsay.  Don't want a situation like they have/had down in Houston where they aren't clicking and there's internal discord.   We'll see what happens.

McDaniels doesn't strike me as someone 53 guys are going to respect he just doesn't have that presence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IndyNismoZ said:

 

Seriously?

 

The Colts Organization is nothing, i mean nothing, like the Cleveland Browns. As an organization we are just simply on another level in so many areas. 

 

What concerns me the most is this comparison came from a Colts fan. :/

It’s been a tough season on all of his.  I think he can be forgiven.  Lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to my sources (namely my cat) McDaniels will be the next head coach of the Colts. According to my same source MeowMix is a poor choice for food. 

 

So so...now that we have a source (albeit unreliable) we can now move on to who the defensive/offensive coordinators will be. My source does not have any further input on these particular does anyone’s cat or dog or other species of animals have some sources on these matters?

 

no I am not drunk, it’s too early to be drunk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

McDaniels doesn't strike me as someone 53 guys are going to respect he just doesn't have that presence. 

 

I honestly couldn't care less. We just had a guy who everyone "respected," and we all saw how that turned out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Toub is probably the safer hire and Ballard’s familiarity with him may give him the edge.  I don’t think previous head coaching experience is a big prerequisite for Ballard. 

Me either

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Well I agree that the Indy job isn’t as attractive as it would have been going into last offseason. I think your putting the Colts sans Luck on equal footing with the Brown’s job is why you are catching a little bit of flack. The Browns front office is widely perceived as incompetent. The Colts arent perfect but have generally shown more direction over time than the Browns franchise. 

I'm catching flack because many look through blue-tinted glasses. 

 

I certainly want the Colts to hire the best coach available that will mesh with our new GM.  I'm simply pointing out that Luck's uncertain status might give some candidates pause.  I don't doubt for a minute that good candidates want to come here.  Just maybe not all candidates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roger said:

I'm catching flack because many look through blue-tinted glasses. 

 

I certainly want the Colts to hire the best coach available that will mesh with our new GM.  I'm simply pointing out that Luck's uncertain status might give some candidates pause.  I don't doubt for a minute that good candidates want to come here.  Just maybe not all candidates.

My cat says that lucks status won’t likely make much of a difference to candidates namely because we do have the 3rd round pick this year. JB is more than serviceable as a good QB (yes, my cat thinks this) it’s getting a coach and other players and pieces around the team fixed that will be more important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

My cat says that lucks status won’t likely make much of a difference to candidates namely because we do have the 3rd round pick this year. JB is more than serviceable as a good QB (yes, my cat thinks this) it’s getting a coach and other players and pieces around the team fixed that will be more important.

Your cat would probably be an improvement over Pagano. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger said:

I'm catching flack because many look through blue-tinted glasses. 

 

I certainly want the Colts to hire the best coach available that will mesh with our new GM.  I'm simply pointing out that Luck's uncertain status might give some candidates pause.  I don't doubt for a minute that good candidates want to come here.  Just maybe not all candidates.

Ok..I’m basically with you minus the Browns stuff.  Lol.

 

I’m sure Luck’s uncertain status will concern some but Ballard has stated that he would not want them coaching the Colts anyway if they would be deterred by that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

McDaniels doesn't strike me as someone 53 guys are going to respect he just doesn't have that presence. 

Do you think hoodie did in 2000?  We look back now and can be impressed with how he has handled the team, but when he first started as the Pats coach I don't think we would have said  "wow - there is a guy who really gets the players respect."

 

Not saying McDaniels can get that respect - we just don't know.  But I think the Pats offense respects him.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roger said:

I'm catching flack because many look through blue-tinted glasses. 

 

I certainly want the Colts to hire the best coach available that will mesh with our new GM.  I'm simply pointing out that Luck's uncertain status might give some candidates pause.  I don't doubt for a minute that good candidates want to come here.  Just maybe not all candidates.

No you are catching flack because you compared the Colts to the Browns which has been the worst franchise in the NFL for almost two decades running.  The Browns are an incompentent organization that is ran by an owner with a quick hook and changes his mind like his underwear.  The Colts have a much deeper tradition, an owner willing to give HC and GM more time (look how much time Pagano and Grigson got).  The Colts also possess Luck which Cleveland does not and even with the questions, I am taking Luck over an unproven high draft pick.  I know what Luck can do but have no idea what one of those picks can do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roger said:

Your cat would probably be an improvement over Pagano. 

I don’t think so. She would probably get too distracted with the field turf. But she definitly could get hissy with the team when needs be and display some authority.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

According to my sources (namely my cat) McDaniels will be the next head coach of the Colts. According to my same source MeowMix is a poor choice for food. 

 

So so...now that we have a source (albeit unreliable) we can now move on to who the defensive/offensive coordinators will be. My source does not have any further input on these particular does anyone’s cat or dog or other species of animals have some sources on these matters?

 

no I am not drunk, it’s too early to be drunk.

 

Just wondering if your cat has any insight into what the team will be doing with the 3rd pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gspdx said:

Do you think hoodie did in 2000?  We look back now and can be impressed with how he has handled the team, but when he first started as the Pats coach I don't think we would have said  "wow - there is a guy who really gets the players respect."

 

Not saying McDaniels can get that respect - we just don't know.  But I think the Pats offense respects him.

 

 

True.  Also, how many supported Belichick's decision to go with Tom Brady over highly-paid franchise QB Bledsoe?  I think that happened before he had all the mystique, like his second year there.  I never read about any player revolt or anything. 

 

The right guy can build respect with results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Luck said at this time he doesn't anticipate any additional surgeries. Thats pretty direct.

 

Except Luck didn't say just that...

 

He added important qualifiers like...   "at this time..."  and other words to hedge his comments.

 

He wasn't direct at all.   I thought he was withholding and a little evasive.    The last thing I thought Luck was is direct.

 

Honestly,  I thought that was the worst press conference Luck has ever given.... I was unimpressed and disappointed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See these are the type of comments about Mcdaniels that I have concern with.   This is the type of stuff that I think Chris Ballard would have to know he's grown significantly. I don't like these type of comments made towards the leader of the team multiple times.  Can't have a leader who guys don't respect and love. To his credit he did come out and say later on what his shortcomings were.

 

 

He wasn't well-liked by some players in Denver

Former Broncos punter Mitch Berger didn't hold back when discussing McDaniels in a 2013 radio interview on 750 The Game in Portland.

"I felt like I was playing for an equipment manager or something, he was like a little punk,” Berger said of McDaniels. “He came in there and said that he wanted to hear a lot from me, he wanted to know what I thought about situations. He wanted to take advantage of my veteran leadership. ...  He said all that.  But as soon as I had a game that wasn’t up to his standards, he wouldn’t talk to you or look at you. I never played for a guy in my life who guys wanted to play for less. He was just a guy you didn’t care about.”

D.J. Williams also said players had issues with McDaniels during his time in Denver.

“(Bill) Belichick seems kind of standoffish, but a lot of guys that I know that played with him, when (they’re) one-on-one with him, he’s relatable—you can talk to him,” Williams said. “I don’t think Josh McDaniels (had) learned that yet, Josh got all the knowledge and came here with all the knowledge. That’s why we were successful in the beginning and won those games, but when it hit the fan and things got tough, guys didn’t want to go the extra mile for him.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/04/3-things-know-colts-coaching-candidate-josh-mcdaniels/1003037001/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Except Luck didn't say just that...

 

He added important qualifiers like...   "at this time..."  and other words to hedge his comments.

 

He wasn't direct at all.   I thought he was withholding and a little evasive.    The last thing I thought Luck was is direct.

 

Honestly,  I thought that was the worst press conference Luck has ever given.... I was unimpressed and disappointed.

 

I saw it differently!! I thought he was direct, and seemed ready to go soon. I think you should feel encouraged! I have had the same surgery 3 times and twice on my throwing shoulder! They THE COLTS had IMO an aggressive time table for Andrew to get back. With these types of surgeries there are ALWAYS set backs, he had some and Andrew will be better off because of it. The more time removed from the surgery the better. I am 99% sure he will be fine. He said himself he expects to be at mini camp! He looked healthy an looked like he had regained most of him strength and muscle! Whats not to like other than he hasn't thrown yet, but he said hes not feeling pain, thats how it starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

McDaniels doesn't strike me as someone 53 guys are going to respect he just doesn't have that presence. 

That's a concern I have, but Dungy used to speak about Perception vs. Reality.  May or may not be correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I saw it differently!! I thought he was direct, and seemed ready to go soon. I think you should feel encouraged! I have had the same surgery 3 times and twice on my throwing shoulder! They THE COLTS had IMO an aggressive time table for Andrew to get back. With these types of surgeries there are ALWAYS set backs, he had some and Andrew will be better off because of it. The more time removed from the surgery the better. I am 99% sure he will be fine. He said himself he expects to be at mini camp! He looked healthy an looked like he had regained most of him strength and muscle! Whats not to like other than he hasn't thrown yet, but he said hes not feeling pain, thats how it starts.

 

Luck has been 100 percent wrong about almost all of his public comments since the surgery.

 

So,  why should anyone put much stock in what he says now?     Not when he says things like....  "at this time"...

 

Nothing has gone according to plan.     And they weren't aggressive at all.    Ballard started saying last April that they weren't going to rush Luck and if he had to miss the whole year,   that's what he'd do.     And then he'd add,  but I don't think that's what will happen.       And it did.   

 

Nothing has gone right,  and very little encouragement was offered at the presser.    

 

Luck might eventually be fine.   But I sure hope we know by March or April....    because BIG decisions have to be made then...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been trying to familiarize myself with Steve Wilks.    Doesn't seem to be too bad so far.  A lot of people and players speak well of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Luck has been 100 percent wrong about almost all of his public comments since the surgery.

 

So,  why should anyone put much stock in what he says now?     Not when he says things like....  "at this time"...

 

Nothing has gone according to plan.     And they weren't aggressive at all.    Ballard started saying last April that they weren't going to rush Luck and if he had to miss the whole year,   that's what he'd do.     And then he'd add,  but I don't think that's what will happen.       And it did.   

 

Nothing has gone right,  and very little encouragement was offered at the presser.    

 

Luck might eventually be fine.   But I sure hope we know by March or April....    because BIG decisions have to be made then...

 

Having him play this year, when he was operated on in January of the same year IS VERY AGGRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!! The at this time statement, that you keep bringing up is thats what he thinks and knows now. Look all surgeries our dangerous, hell people have died having plastic surgery! We will know by then, I am not worried based on what I saw in the press conference, as well as personal experience with these types of surgeries! I play major travel softball all over the US, and have thrown again twice, with set backs during the rehabs its part of the territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Except Luck didn't say just that...

 

He added important qualifiers like...   "at this time..."  and other words to hedge his comments.

 

He wasn't direct at all.   I thought he was withholding and a little evasive.    The last thing I thought Luck was is direct.

 

Honestly,  I thought that was the worst press conference Luck has ever given.... I was unimpressed and disappointed.

 


That presser really seemed to split the fanbase, people who thought it was good/bad or encouraging/discouraging.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed particularly but I do agree that Luck seemed off...for obvious reasons of course, but still off nonetheless. We all know he's gotta be annoyed and just over all of this talk, but I totally understand why people like JMV and others thought the presser didn't go well.

Surprisingly my favorite part about it was Luck actually admitting to how down and out he felt just as recently as December. It made me not feel so ridiculous for also being curious/concerned at the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger said:

We pick third.  It doesn't look much better than Cleveland.

 

Don't misunderstand, I think we will "find our way", which is a good way to say it.  I'm just not convinced that Indy is as attractive to candidates as many here assume.  People have been posting that this is the primo job among those that are available.  I think they're looking through blue tinted glasses.

Many sources including guys on NFL Network have called the Colts the primo job, not just the guys posting here. As far as a coach being interested in the job only if Luck is healthy, Ballard made it very clear the day he set foot in the Indy that this job is not about one person (Luck or anyone else) but about all 53.He reiterated that the other day when he said if the are only coming for Luck they won't get the job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.