Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess the reason I'm leaning toward the Colts hiring McDaniels is finally getting Luck some consistency with an offensive system. In just a handful of years, Luck has already had to play for three different offensive coordinators and this reminds me of the type of nonsense Alex Smith had to put up with when he was in San Francisco early in his career.

I know and have already read about the reservations people on the board have had about McDaniels, especially in regards to his time in Denver. I think he simply was too young (32) to take on what he attempted to take on as both head coach and making personnel decisions.

I'd like to believe that making those mistakes, combined with maturing as a person since then, will make McDaniels a stronger and more experienced leader this time around.

Plus we already have a GM and hopefully it could be situation that the two can work well together.

What Josh could do is be the head coach as well as calling the shots offensively. I would like to see a situation where Luck finally has some offensive system consistency that would be a lot like the situation in San Fransisco many years ago between Joe Montana and Bill Walsh. Offensive coaches can come and go, as they do, but it would still be Josh's system. He wouldn't be going anywhere (If there is much success) as obviously he's the head coach as well.

That's what I worry about in going with a defensive hire, or somebody like Toub - in that we get an Offensive Coordinator, that person becomes successful, then becomes the twinkle in some other team's eye and that person gets hired away.

I simply want someone that can work with Luck, be successful, and maintain that relationship for many years.

The constant coaching turnover will start to kill this franchise as well as Luck's career.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:23 AM, Peterk2011 said:

My point wasn't Cutler. My point was McDaniels. Why don't you ask what did McDaniels see in Cassell over Cutler?

He never traded for Cassel, so it's a bit of a red herring to begin with.

Jay Cutler was an entitled and petulant brat in Denver, and when he heard that McDaniels had asked about possibly considering maybe somewhat thinking about trading for Cassel, he had a meltdown and demanded a trade. I'm not saying McDaniels handled it right, but I was always under the impression that Cutler was the bigger issue with that situation.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

He never traded for Cassel, so it's a bit of a red herring to begin with.

Jay Cutler was an entitled and petulant brat in Denver, and when he heard that McDaniels had asked about possibly considering maybe somewhat thinking about trading for Cassel, he had a meltdown and demanded a trade. I'm not saying McDaniels handled it right, but I was always under the impression that Cutler was the bigger issue with that situation.

I'm sure there was blame on both sides, but ultimately McDaniels was right to send Cutler packing. He wasn't great to begin with, and once he became a headache for the head coach and started dividing the locker room, there was no reason not to move on.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm sure there was blame on both sides, but ultimately McDaniels was right to send Cutler packing. He wasn't great to begin with, and once he became a headache for the head coach and started dividing the locker room, there was no reason not to move on.

Cutler looked like he might be the real deal at the time. I think if they had made it work, they both would have been more successful. But knowing what we know now about McDaniels' approach and Cutler's personality, it's obvious they weren't a good fit.

There were other issues with players at the time, like Marshall's immaturity (we now know he had some significant issues that weren't being treated at the time), some weird beefs with other players like Peyton Hillis and Tony Scheffler, etc. At one point McDaniels was caught on video berating his offense on the sideline, tantrum style. So it wasn't just the Jay Cutler deal that doomed him. McDaniels was clearly a big part of the problem.

He's my favorite candidate this year, but I'm not turning a blind eye to his past. If we hire him, everyone will need to cross their fingers and hope that he really has learned how to lead a locker room and manage his players, because he was awful at it in Denver.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Cutler looked like he might be the real deal at the time. I think if they had made it work, they both would have been more successful. But knowing what we know now about McDaniels' approach and Cutler's personality, it's obvious they weren't a good fit.

There were other issues with players at the time, like Marshall's immaturity (we now know he had some significant issues that weren't being treated at the time), some weird beefs with other players like Peyton Hillis and Tony Scheffler, etc. At one point McDaniels was caught on video berating his offense on the sideline, tantrum style. So it wasn't just the Jay Cutler deal that doomed him. McDaniels was clearly a big part of the problem.

He's my favorite candidate this year, but I'm not turning a blind eye to his past. If we hire him, everyone will need to cross their fingers and hope that he really has learned how to lead a locker room and manage his players, because he was awful at it in Denver.

Yes definitely need to hope that his personal interactions have improved.  I listened to an interview with DJ Williams, former Denver linebacker the other day (old interview on youtube).  DJ said (paraphrasing) that he was never more prepared for a game in his life than he was with McD.  He stated that McD's problem was that no one would fight for him due to his inability to relate.  I hope that he has that personal touch fixed if he indeed does become the new Colts HC.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

The more I hear about him in Denver, the more he just sounds like a 32 year old HC/GM who had WAY too much on his plate, and once he felt that things weren't working, he started to act out and take things out on the players. Not a good look, but you also have to assume that he's grown quite a bit since then. And it shouldn't be an issue in Indy with Ballard handling GM duties, and with McDaniels having what should be an ideal QB situation (healthy Luck, familiarity with Brissett).

I've grown on McDaniels. Everything he's said seems to point to him changing and maturing. I think he was too young at 32 to handle being the HC of Denver with that much responsibility. Yes, he failed, but he learned from his mistakes. Also, he's apologized for how he's handled Cutler as well. If Ballard can prove that he's truly learned from his mistakes, then I would be fine with the hire. 

7 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I've grown on McDaniels. Everything he's said seems to point to him changing and maturing. I think he was too young at 32 to handle being the HC of Denver with that much responsibility. Yes, he failed, but he learned from his mistakes. Also, he's apologized for how he's handled Cutler as well. If Ballard can prove that he's truly learned from his mistakes, then I would be fine with the hire. 

A few weeks after arriwing in Denver, he convinced the owner to fire their GM tandem. So he wasn't just a HC, he was practically the "Belichick" of Denver in terms of power.

The first rumors about Bowlen's alzheimer disease appeared around the same time, around the firing of Shanahan and the hiring of McDaniels. I can imagine, that Bowlen's disease might played a role in those decisions. Young, self confident prodigys hardly ever refuse power. Many are willing to fight for it. So did McDaniels. He shouldve been under some control, but he wasn't. I think too much power played a big role in his doom there.

6 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

A few weeks after arriwing in Denver, he convinced the owner to fire their GM tandem. So he wasn't just a HC, he was practically the "Belichick" of Denver in terms of power.

The first rumors about Bowlen's alzheimer disease appeared around the same time, around the firing of Shanahan and the hiring of McDaniels. I can imagine, that Bowlen's disease might played a role in those decisions. Young, self confident prodigys hardly ever refuse power. Many are willing to fight for it. So did McDaniels. He shouldve been under some control, but he wasn't. I think too much power played a big role in his doom there.

Agreed. He tried to be Belichick, but failed. Ballard won't give up control, and hopefully McDaniels recognizes and is ok with that.

5 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Agreed. He tried to be Belichick, but failed. Ballard won't give up control, and hopefully McDaniels recognizes and is ok with that.

Yeah. I think even if Belichick tried to be Belichick at the age of 32, he'd have failed too. :)

29 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Not sure if this has been posted: 

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomecurran/status/950418268199714816

McDaniels is down to the Giants and Colts, now that the Bears are out. He prefers the Colts. With the connection between Wilks and Giants, it seems likely that McDaniels will probably be the next head coach.

After reading the comments (or retweets?) from above link...

Many seem to think McDaniels may refuse the Colts (due to Irsay) and elect to stay with NE.

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Many seem to think McDaniels may refuse the Colts (due to Irsay) and elect to stay with NE.

I wouldn't pay attention to the comments. Mostly Patriots fans and uninformed people who hate the Colts. Unless McDaniels himself declines the job offer, don't pay attention to what normal people say. They're not insiders, they have no info. McDaniels has already shown interest in the Colts position and would most likely accept the job. 

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

I wouldn't pay attention to the comments. Mostly Patriots fans and uniformed people who hate the Colts. Unless McDaniels himself declines the job offer, don't pay attention to what normal people say. They're not insiders, they no info. McDaniels has already shown interest in the Colts position and would most likely accept the job. 

I agree it was mostly Pats fans slamming Irsay. 

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

If he wasn't interested he most likely would have withdrawn his name by now. I don't know why Irsay would stop him. He doesn't fire coaches quickly.  If you hit it off with Irsay you are going to have a chance to succeed. 

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

I wouldn't pay attention to the comments. Mostly Patriots fans and uniformed people who hate the Colts. Unless McDaniels himself declines the job offer, don't pay attention to what normal people say. They're not insiders, they no info. McDaniels has already shown interest in the Colts position and would most likely accept the job. 

But it is possible for Belichick to leave, maybe next year? If NE talks him into it, McDaniels could be tempted to stay?

I have to admit, I am not sold on him taking the job and working for Irsay

Just now, richard pallo said:

If he wasn't interested he most likely would have withdrawn his name by now. I don't know why Irsay would stop him. He doesn't fire coaches quickly.  If you hit it off with Irsay you are going to have a chance to succeed. 

Agreed. Irsay isn't the problem, and neither is Ballard. I think Irsay would be fine with the hire. McDaniels is shown to be selective with his interviews and coaching jobs. The fact that it's progressed this far with him is a good sign.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

But it is possible for Belichick to leave, maybe next year? If NE talks him into it, McDaniels could be tempted to stay?

I highly doubt Belichick would leave. He's more likely to retire than leave. I think NE wants McDaniels as the successor, but McDaniels wants what is best for him. Patriots without Belichick is not as much of a sure thing as the Colts with Luck. Brady is old and only getting older. He can probably play for a few more years. After that, who knows? Patriots future is uncertain and they might be stuck in rebuild mode. I don't think he has a problem with Irsay. If anything, he should be glad that Irsay is patient(a little too patient).

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

People in the football world think much much higher of Irsay than fans do. Especially Pats fans. Irsay will not be an issue with any potential coach.

Yeah, it's really just fans of other teams that slam on Irsay. Irsay is definitely not the worst owner out there and has proven to be patient, which any potential coach will like.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Many posters here (Colts fans) have a favorable view of Irsay. But across the nation, I feel he is mostly viewed as unfavorable.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Sounds like NE has plenty of disfunction in their own house. I don't know if McDaniels necessarily wants to inherit the job, knowing that Kraft may keep Brady beyond his prime and he made BB trade JG. 

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Many posters here (Colts fans) have a favorable view of Irsay. But across the nation, I feel he is mostly viewed as unfavorable.

Sure, among fans. Fans aren't the one hiring McDaniels. Executives and other brass have a favorable view of Irsay. He's shown himself to be patient as well, which is a boon for anyone looking for a HC position.

When Hall of Famers like Bill Polian and Tony Dungy say that Jim is one of the best and most knowledgeable owners in football, I think that speaks volumes. I think maybe you are letting your unfavorable opinion of him breed misconception.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

When Hall of Famers like Bill Polian and Tony Dungy say that Jim is one of the best and most knowledgeable owners in football, I think that speaks volumes. I think maybe you are letting your unfavorable opinion of him breed misconception.

I have not seen any favorable mention of Irsay lately outside of posters here. He appeared to be drunk in his last press conference

55 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I actually think he tried to be Belichick, but not in the sense you guys talk about. He might have tried the cold, results above all Belichick that can fire anyone not performing to his standard. But only Belichick can do that, and McDaniels tried to be someone he probably wasn’t, or at least didn’t have the backstory to succeed as. People sensed that, and it fell apart. 

He might never be a Pagano with regards to player relations, but less can do it. But you cannot copycat Belichick. He has to be his own, and both Ballard and Irsay will lock onto any issues in that regard with ease. 

I have not seen any favorable mention of Irsay lately outside of posters here. He appeared to be drunk in his last press conference

We get it, you hate Irsay. That doesn't change the fact that the rest of the football world does not. Polian, Dungy, Manning, guys like Rick Venturi have all gone to bat on how good of an owner they think Jim is. If you haven't seen it, you aren't looking. I'm not saying you have to come around and change your stance on Jim. By all means, you are entitled to believe what you want. But just because you have an opinion does not mean that is is shared by people in the league who matter.

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I actually think he tried to be Belichick, but not in the sense you guys talk about. He might have tried the cold, results above all Belichick that can fire anyone not performing to his standard. But only Belichick can do that, and McDaniels tried to be someone he probably wasn’t, or at least didn’t have the backstory to succeed as. People sensed that, and it fell apart. 

He might never be a Pagano with regards to player relations, but less can do it. But you cannot copycat Belichick. He has to be his own, and both Ballard and Irsay will lock onto any issues in that regard with ease. 

He worked for BB before his stint as Denver's HC, so he only knew about BB. It's no surprise why he wanted to emulate BB. It's not surprising that it failed, either. I agree that McDaniels needs to be his own coach.

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I think it was declining health not being drunk... which is unfortunate because I think he is a great owner. 

I think mcdaniels already has the job, but we can't say anything because of league rules. Nagy was really his only threat and he's going to Chicago. Richard could be hired at anytime, wilkes defense isn't that good, and we didn't even ask to interview toub