Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay hinting at picking Barkley

AwesomeAustin

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Penn State runners usually do not do well in the Pros and this is going back decades except for Curt Warner at times.

I am not sure how much weight I would put on this.  Not sure of the correlation between Curtis Enis having a poor NFL career and what that means for Barkley.

While the hey day of the Manning era was great I don't want to see us get back into a position where we spend a decade picking and paying elite offensive players until they fix some other issues.  Manning had to score 100 points a game to win, which he did most of the time.  I always feel like if most other organizations had the same group we had (Manning, Edge, Clark, Wayne, Marve. just to name a few) would have one enough rings to cover a majority of their hands.  It just seemed like every year there was a high dollar offensive contract to pay and we couldn't fix the obvious holes.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity where did you pick up Irsay states pairing Luck with an Edgerrin type player out of this?  I read it three times and never noticed him saying that.

Not that I would be opposed but I just didn't see what you are saying out of this interview.

Listen to the Ballard Irsay joint press conference. Its long, Irsay babels on & on honestly almost like hes loaded, but I think he is  just excited, and loves the Colts so much!! Ballard sounds SOOOOO much more professional IMO! At one point he states hes oppion of Andrews greatness and mentions paring him with a Edrain like back. He either he let it slip out and the Colts like him or hes blowing smoke. IMO he let it slip out.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Another thng crossed my mind watching the Notre Dame game yesterday.

how much does Mcglinchey improve Nelson's "game" and vice-versa?  What i mean is would they be as "elite" if either had an average T or G beside them instead of another bohemoth all-pro?

i'm having trouble  investing a 3rd in an OLman.  

I watched some of the game, what was your oppion of both of those guys?

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Penn State runners usually do not do well in the Pros and this is going back decades except for Curt Warner at times.

31 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I don't think so. Penn State is not known like USC or Miami to produce good Pro style backs.

29 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I said Warner was one who stood out from the exception.

I get your point but I think mine was lost on you.

I randomly selected a Penn State back who was less than stellar in the pros.  I have no idea how those who fell short in the NFL tie into Barkley.

BTW - I think you are trying to say that Warner is the exception, not that the he stood out from the exception.

You’d rather have an Alabama RB instead? Why are we discrediting the best player in the draft because guys 5-10 years ago who played the same position at his school didn’t work out? Should be more critical of these Alabama RBs coming in and being mediocre yearly.

Cal QBs didn't do well in the pros... before Aaron Rodgers. I think that was even used against him.

I'd bet that none of Penn State RBs had as good traits as Barkley.

So I don't think that's a good reason to not take him.. But there are plenty of others.

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah but will any of them be as good as Barkley?

Probably not but I think there's a better chance that one can find relatively better RB later in the draft, compared to OL or pass rusher.

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’d rather have an Alabama RB instead? Why are we discrediting the best player in the draft because guys 5-10 years ago who played the same position at his school didn’t work out? Should be more critical of these Alabama RBs coming in and being mediocre yearly.

The school they come from might be the single dumbest reason to favor or disfavor a player.

I'm sure most Mississippi Valley State receivers didn't do much in the pros....until that Rice guy came along.  But now that Rice rewrote the record books, I guess teams should focus on getting as many MVS receivers as they can?

Barkley is a heckuva back.  I'd love him to be a Colt...but only if we're sure we've got our OL and DL woes sufficiently addressed.

Maybe we'd be better off drafting OT McGlinchey?  Perhaps we could use a trade to get a couple needed guys in exchange for Barkley?

I don't care how good our offensive skill players are.  If our O-line continues to suck, the offense will continue to suck.  And we could use some help in our linebacking corps, too.

7 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think you could say Fournette had an impact. and McCafferty  had 80 catches. In recent years Gurley Gordon and Zeke are having an impact.

If Barkley runs as advertised at 230lbs he's a better prospect than any of them. I can't think of a back his size that has the wiggle in the open field receiving skills and that top end speed. We have to consider him at number 3. We could draft Barkley and it would be justified. He's never been injured nothing off the field. Where's the down side?

The draft is always about odds. Not just odds of individual players, but for example difference in odds to find the right guy for X position in the first round and in the 5th round, etc. I believe the difference in odds finding - for example - an elite pass rusher like Von Miller in the first round and in the later rounds is huge. Of course there are Robert Mathises, but the odds to find one in the 5th compared to the 1st round is very small. On the other hand, every year, when a RB like Elliot, Gurley, etc. is drafted in the first round, there are a few Kamara's, Hunt's in later rounds.

So if I was a GM, I would prefer to use my top picks on those positions which give me the least odds to find a similar player in later rounds. That's QB, edge rusher, OT, recently CB, etc.. Maybe WR. Unless there is a clear cut favourite who stands out of course. If there is, I'd pick him, no matter the position. (Well, except kicker, punter, LS of course. :) )

IMO most teams can get by with only having a decent RB as long as the rest of the team is good.  

I think most good RB's are a product of a good OLine and playcalling.  

I do not support taking ANY RB in the first 15 picks. 

We have bigger concerns to address.

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

You forgot about Larry Johnson.

But that really doesn't matter because I agree with others that what the school produced at that position previously has no bearing on an individual players talent. Carson Wentz and Derek Carr should have been busts because their schools hadn't turned out pro QBs. Makes no sense to me.

3 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I watched some of the game, what was your oppion of both of those guys?

I watched only part of the game and mcglinchey "flashed" more to me.  He's a monster.  Perhaps its the position or who they lined up against but i noticed mcglinchey manhandling guys all over.

i saw nothing bad of nelson, he just didnt jump off the screen to me.  I guess its uually good if u dont notice an OLman.

like i said, i didnt watch much, i'll have to catch it later, i'm sure its on again.

do u have an opinion on them?

10 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I watched only part of the game and mcglinchey "flashed" more to me.  He's a monster.  Perhaps its the position or who they lined up against but i noticed mcglinchey manhandling guys all over.

i saw nothing bad of nelson, he just didnt jump off the screen to me.  I guess its uually good if u dont notice an OLman.

like i said, i didnt watch much, i'll have to catch it later, i'm sure its on again.

do u have an opinion on them?

I am like you probably need to watch it closer caught parts of it. Upon first glances I thought if both are as good as advertised they would be dominating more? LSU is a good team to gauge I think. Need to watch them closer to have a real opinion though.

2 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

You forgot about Larry Johnson.

But that really doesn't matter because I agree with others that what the school produced at that position previously has no bearing on an individual players talent. Carson Wentz and Derek Carr should have been busts because their schools hadn't turned out pro QBs. Makes no sense to me.

Fresno st has turned out many pro QB's!

53 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

The only two on Wikipedia are David Carr and Trent Dilfer. Does two from ages ago qualify as many? I didn't even know either of those were from Fresno frankly.

Well thats 2 more than most schools,  and other QB's have signed QB's from Fresno and they have stuck around as practice squad guys or had nice careers in Canada.

18 hours ago, #12. said:

I might normally be opposed to taking a RB that high, but one, Barkley looks special, and two, I'm not overly thrilled with other possible options, 3-10.  Plus, you have 90 million in cap space to address other needs.

Also, I don't care about league trends when it comes to RBs, because if he's everything he appears to be, I'm going to use him.  If he's a special player, I'm going to feed and pass him the ball, regardless of league trends.  With what he can do as a receiver, you have an infinite number of possibilities with him.  With a good OC, he would be a nightmare to game plan for, and could potentially make Luck's life so much easier.

Only problem: everyone else is watching him and seeing the same thing, so he might somehow be gone by #3.  

I hate drafting RBs early in general but that kid looks special unless there is pass rusher that looks to be the next Von Miller I would have no problem with him being selecting him at 3 .

13 hours ago, King Colt said:

Yes, and avoid addressing the OL and linebacker weaknesses while Luck once again gets sacked 60 times and Barley is given no holes to run to. Brilliant!!

You do know the Colts have more ways to add talent this off-season than just the number three pick alone right?

I commented on this in another thread. I don't know if its a tell, or Irsay  just rambling based on what he has heard and read...IE Barkley is the once in a lifetime, blah blah blah mantra that is circulating.....Wish there would have been a shot of Ballard's face when he said it that might be more revealing lol

I am not completely against the idea but the o line needs to be solid.  I like Marlon Mack a lot too, I know a lot of people don't believe he can be a featured back but I wouldn't mind giving him the chance.  I'll root for whoever they pick or if they trade the pick.  I am pretty open minded.  Barkley is a stud though. 

On 1/1/2018 at 10:51 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901686/article/irsay-andrew-luck-has-107degree-fever-for-success

Irsay states pairing Luck with an Edgerrin type player.  I hope he lets Ballard pick who he wants but maybe they are on the same page.  I’m ok with this guy bc he is amazing. 

Understand Mentor Irsay was the Man behind the Richardson deal and you are getting it.
 Just really messed up with this in print Mentoring, shows he IS NOT done being a problem.

On 1/2/2018 at 12:09 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

We could get complete bust after pick too. IMO, Barkley is probably the most "sure thing" in this draft, but I can definitely understand why people are hesitant to use a top 5 pick on a RB.

some fans say dont  take rbs or guards with the  first five picks, gms do it all the time they, dont limit their picks with fan rules, most take the best player no matter the position.