Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay hinting at picking Barkley

AwesomeAustin

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

Barkley's better than Zeke. Look how good Zeke made Dak look, and what Barkley would do with an elite QB.

Wouldn't be opposed to it

Look at the OL, and look at Dak after DCs had a year of tape.  Look at all the RBs picked later who are just as good. Barkley would be a waste of the #3 pick.  

2 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

I completely understand those that are leaning on an Egde Rusher, or O-lineman. Either would help tremendously. But we haven’t had a 3 down back since EJ. I wouldn’t be mad if we took Barkley honestly. 

You can get good 3 down backs later than pick 3. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901686/article/irsay-andrew-luck-has-107degree-fever-for-success

Irsay states pairing Luck with an Edgerrin type player.  I hope he lets Ballard pick who he wants but maybe they are on the same page.  I’m ok with this guy bc he is amazing. 

Yeah, he is good but we still need a better O-line. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901686/article/irsay-andrew-luck-has-107degree-fever-for-success

Irsay states pairing Luck with an Edgerrin type player.  I hope he lets Ballard pick who he wants but maybe they are on the same page.  I’m ok with this guy bc he is amazing. 

Just out of curiosity where did you pick up Irsay states pairing Luck with an Edgerrin type player out of this?  I read it three times and never noticed him saying that.

Not that I would be opposed but I just didn't see what you are saying out of this interview.

I might normally be opposed to taking a RB that high, but one, Barkley looks special, and two, I'm not overly thrilled with other possible options, 3-10.  Plus, you have 90 million in cap space to address other needs.

Also, I don't care about league trends when it comes to RBs, because if he's everything he appears to be, I'm going to use him.  If he's a special player, I'm going to feed and pass him the ball, regardless of league trends.  With what he can do as a receiver, you have an infinite number of possibilities with him.  With a good OC, he would be a nightmare to game plan for, and could potentially make Luck's life so much easier.

Only problem: everyone else is watching him and seeing the same thing, so he might somehow be gone by #3.  

51 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity where did you pick up Irsay states pairing Luck with an Edgerrin type player out of this?  I read it three times and never noticed him saying that.

Not that I would be opposed but I just didn't see what you are saying out of this interview.

He literally said it in the press conference.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Look at the OL, and look at Dak after DCs had a year of tape.  Look at all the RBs picked later who are just as good. Barkley would be a waste of the #3 pick.  

Dak was always average.

Howard, and Henry are the only others to make an impact

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay did say it in tje conference.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you watch the conference at the 42min mark he says it!

Imo, who we should pick at 3rd or trade down depends on our FA signings. Mack is talented, but no 3down back. If we can get a good power back in FA, we should trade down and/or take the best ILB we could get.

Would be nice to have such a talented RB like Barkley, but i think we have other holes to fill that are more important. 

1 hour ago, Boomstick1 said:

Dak was always average.

Howard, and Henry are the only others to make an impact

I think you could say Fournette had an impact. and McCafferty  had 80 catches. In recent years Gurley Gordon and Zeke are having an impact.

If Barkley runs as advertised at 230lbs he's a better prospect than any of them. I can't think of a back his size that has the wiggle in the open field receiving skills and that top end speed. We have to consider him at number 3. We could draft Barkley and it would be justified. He's never been injured nothing off the field. Where's the down side? 

Maybe Irsay wasn't talking about Barkley. We can get a top RB day 2  Hunt led the NFL in rushing and he was taken in the 3rd  The guys I would look at are Penny Freeman and Chubb at 220lbs +   then Harris Guice and Michel of the guys around 215lbs. 

I prefer Penny of the group. I was fortunate enough to see him in person vs ASU this year. He's the real deal and a little like Barkley. He returns KO and is a good receiver. He doesn't quite have the size at 5'10 220lbs or speed Who does? Against the Sun Devils Penny had a 100 yard kickoff return and a 90+ yard run for touchdowns to go with another short rushing  and receiving touchdowns. He was a man among boys vs a PAC12 school.

I think Irsay is going to want Barkley and the splash. We have a history of drafting RB's in the 1st. I can think of 4 and  two are HOF's. I think drafting a marquee name will carry a little weight after this season. There is also the matter of Barkley could be the best player in the draft at a position of need. 

He could be a generational type player in fact he looks like just that. He's a 5'11 230lbs RB that moves like Reggie Bush in the open field. He will be a difficult pass 

Le'Veon Bell

This one is complicated, largely because Bell rejected a five-year offer from the Pittsburgh Steelers that would have paid him over $12 million per season in the summer, instead seeking a deal that would give him $15 million per year, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Bell went the franchise-tag route in 2017, which paid him $12.2 million. The Steelers will have that option again in 2018, though his salary would rise to around $14.5 million if they opt to tag him.

The running back will be 26 in the 2018 season and could likely garner $15 million per year on the open market. For his career, he's averaging a remarkable 128.9 yards from scrimmage and 0.6 touchdowns per game. He's one of the most complete and dynamic offensive weapons in the NFL, serving as a workhorse back, an excellent receiver and a blocker in the passing game.

Besides, if the Steelers are willing to pay Bell nearly $15 million on a franchise tag, why not just pay him that figure yearly? Bell is in his prime, and the Steelers are one of the best teams in football—it would be wise for the team to keep the band together.

Prediction: Bell stays with Pittsburgh.

from BR.

He's right, an "Edge" type elite back would be "WHOA"!  Triplets, part deaux.  And after watching some of the bowl games, it appears there will be several exciting RBs available at  our 2nd or even 3rd spot.

Barkeley in our backfield excites me, but so does a blue chip pass rusher. 

Hinting we may want Barkekey could also force Clevelands hand in taking him at #1, if they are indeed planning on a QB and barkely at  picks 1 and 4.  This could increase the value of our 3rd to QB needy teams or those behind us that want Barkley.

maybe Jim should hint we may want a QB at #3 (becausecof Luck status)  to reaaly throw them off.

I understand we need a better line, i also understand we need a dominate pass rusher and the RB postion isn't the our biggest need in anyway, but how long did we go without a 1,000 yard rusher? Wasnt it like 4 or 5 years, and even then it took signing an ageing Frank Gore to do it. People say you can get a 3 down back in later rounds, and you can but its not a gaurented thing. With Lucks shoulder and his return uncertian added to the fact that we have the 3rd pick and I am much more open to taking a RB this year. Positional value g as its place, but i think when your picking this high and have a chance to get the best player there is at at position that changes a bit...it's why I also wouldn't mind getting Nelson even though position value for gaurds is in the same boat. I honestly just wamt us to get a dominate player, really dont care what he plays

I mean, I wouldn't be mad. 

I know recent history is all about finding a middle round gem at RB. That's the trend. But it's not a very scientific method. There are more middle round whiffs and mediocrity than there are gems. And you can't really string along a position like RB like that. 

The good thing, however, is that Ballard seems to have an eye for scouting good RBs. Although I'm still not sure he's a lead back, Mack has a lot of upside. Ballard was also obviously high on Hunt. There were reports we were interested in him, and his landing in KC certainly had some to do with Ballard. 

Maybe we should find another back like Mack and move to a two RB system like Atlanta or New Orleans. 

Its still way too early to start trying to pin down one player at this point. 

Another thng crossed my mind watching the Notre Dame game yesterday.

how much does Mcglinchey improve Nelson's "game" and vice-versa?  What i mean is would they be as "elite" if either had an average T or G beside them instead of another bohemoth all-pro?

i'm having trouble  investing a 3rd in an OLman.  

This is such a stacked class for RB's. I know Barkley's the best but I'm the top 6-7 guys all seem pretty solid.

Personally I'm leaning toward wanting a guy like Chubb/Fitzpatrick if we don't trade the third, a defensive difference maker, and then grab one of the top 7 RB's that slips to the 3rd. 

Won't be mad if we draft Barkley though.

Irsay isn't the GM so it's entirely up to Chris Ballard to pick the players. That's why he was hired. I think he just gets super excited and talks about things that necessarily won't be made into anything. Gives him something to talk about when the media is in front of him or else these pressers would only be like 8 minutes long.

I would be ok with Barkley, the best pass rusher available(is there a Dwight Freeney in this draft?) or trading down a little bit and taking Fitzpatrick and using him the way the Cardinals use Dion Buchanon.(Fitzpatrick,Geathers, and Hooker) would be a fantastic trio of safeties. But, like I've said before, it doesn't matter who is in your secondary if you can't rush the passer. But Fitzpatrick can do so many things(like Buchanon) it's almost like drafting a safety, linebacker, and edge rusher/blitzer all in one. Plus he has excellent coverage skills.This pick (3rd) will go along way in the rebuilding of this talented but underachieving team, can't swing and miss. New coaches mean new philosophies and strategies. Could easily have a Ram-like turnaround next season and win the division!!!!!

38 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Really we can't wrong no matter who we pick....Barkley, Chubb, ND Olinemen

Lots of areas to strengthen.

I'm in the camp of fixing the line through FA

Unfortunately there arn't a lot of good starting quality OL in FA this year.  

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Or the Colts try to bring in Le´Veon Bell and give him $15-16 mill per year, draft the best O-line guy at #3 and bring in other key free agent players to strengthen both O-line and D-line. 

We have a ton of cap space, so why not go all in for Bell?

Nope. His injury history says nope.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Unfortunately there arn't a lot of good starting quality OL in FA this year.  

The Giants may go OL at 2, rather see Chubb if he is as good on D as they say he is. Would be nice to have a D force player for a change.