Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

It could be possible but I have a very very hard time believing Ballard and him were doing such a shady thing for a whole year 

I don't think it's shady. They've been linked together as a power couple for at least three years now. When Ballard was in consideration for the Bears job, Toub was supposed to be his first choice for head coach. Same thing when he interviewed last year. 

My thinking is that they agreed not to officially request him until the other candidates interviewed, that way other candidates wouldn't refuse to interview because they were convinced it was Toub's job anyways.

Time is running out on that, though. Wilks was supposedly the last guy on the list, and he was supposed to interview yesterday. If Toub isn't officially requested over the next couple of days, I'm thinking he's not the guy.

6 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

The McDaniels wants power talk is mere nonsense talk.  He has never said anything about this and actually mentioned that he bit of more than he could chew in Denver.  Any coaching candidate coming her knows our GM is Ballard.  I hope that we are generally taking our team so that we can get a good number of guys in here and pick the best.  Pat Shurmur is still my hopeful.  Some guys will not interview until after the playoffs or the week leading into the Pro Bowl unless there team is in the big game as well.  

Also, I would not worry about random guys choosing another spot.  There are only a few openings so regardless we will have a candidate that will take the Colts job.  Plenty of guys out there to interview still.

Yes, I want Shurmur and I hope we hear something in the future that there going to interview him. What Shurmur has done in Minnesota is remarkable with Keenum. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think it's shady. They've been linked together as a power couple for at least three years now. When Ballard was in consideration for the Bears job, Toub was supposed to be his first choice for head coach. Same thing when he interviewed last year. 

My thinking is that they agreed not to officially request him until the other candidates interviewed, that way other candidates wouldn't refuse to interview because they were convinced it was Toub's job anyways.

Time is running out on that, though. Wilks was supposedly the last guy on the list, and he was supposed to interview yesterday. If Toub isn't officially requested over the next couple of days, I'm thinking he's not the guy.

If he was the guy why interview all of the other guys in the first place?  Looking for coordinators?  Just for appearances sake?  I don't know but there is no reason to wait now.  If it's Toub we should know very quickly.

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If he was the guy why interview all of the other guys in the first place?  Looking for coordinators?  Just for appearances sake?  I don't know but there is no reason to wait now.  If it's Toub we should know very quickly.

First, there's the Rooney Rule. 

Second, due diligence. If we know anything about Ballard, it's that he's thorough and meticulous.

Third, I'm not saying he was definitely the guy. I'm saying that if Ballard had him on the list, he's probably the one guy that would skip over the preliminary interview process and be presented directly to Irsay. And I'm saying that, because of the persistent reports over the last three years that Ballard wants Toub, I could see other candidates not wanting to interview if Toub is officially connected to the job.

Fourth, this is all conjecture on my part. It's hard for me to believe that Toub is not under consideration, but I don't know anything. And again, with each day that passes without Toub being officially linked, it's seems less likely that he's on the list.

The only way I see Ballard bringing Toub in is by "sneak attack".  What I mean by that is he interviews all the known candidates, leaving Toub off the list so as not to scare off any candidates like someone mentioned earlier.  Then when he's got his finalists (looking like only McDaniels at the moment), he brings him in for the secondary interview with Irsay present.  

He's already interviewed McDaniels.  So he's got a feel for how the interview will go.  Let's just say for example that McD has a B grade interview.  Then he springs his surprise candidate Toub on Irsay who comes in and knocks it out of the park with an A+ grade interview and wins the job at the buzzer so to speak. 

I can see Ballard coordinating something like that.  It could also explain maybe why Wilks backed out.  Ballard maybe didn't want a guy similar to Toub in demeanor that could become a finalist and actually beat out his guy Toub in the final interview process.  So he made up us leaning towards an offensive candidate to take some competition away from Toub.

Now, these are all just guesses on my part but it's the only reasonable way I can think of for Toub to get the job after not even being named as a candidate.  I want McDaniels so I hope it's not the case but it could actually be a very savvy move by Ballard.  And in that scenario, if Toub stumbles or doesn't wow Irsay, you still have McDaniels lined up... 

What you guys think?  Too much tinfoil hat or plausible?

47 minutes ago, Superman said:

I feel like you missed the point. To me, the thinking is that Ballard and Toub could have been in cahoots for the last year, and no formal interview or even request is needed, so we wouldn't know that he's officially in consideration. And I bet he is.

However, the fact that he's been officially available to be hired for almost a week, and we still haven't heard anything about him, suggests that he's not the guy.

He might be on his way to Indy right now to meet with Irsay, though. We simply wouldn't know if everyone was conspiring to keep it quiet.

please make it so

26 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah it would be really shady if Ballard had some lame deal with him last year and isn't even interviewing him yet then just hires him out of nowhere cause they are buds 

You're assuming that's Toub's only redeeming qualification, and it's not.

Whoever the next coach will be, he won't get the job just because he's friends with the GM. I think we all know that.

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

The only way I see Ballard bringing Toub in is by "sneak attack".  What I mean by that is he interviews all the known candidates, leaving Toub off the list so as not to scare off any candidates like someone mentioned earlier.  Then when he's got his finalists (looking like only McDaniels at the moment), he brings him in for the secondary interview with Irsay present.  

He's already interviewed McDaniels.  So he's got a feel for how the interview will go.  Let's just say for example that McD has a B grade interview.  Then he springs his surprise candidate Toub on Irsay who comes in and knocks it out of the park with an A+ grade interview and wins the job at the buzzer so to speak. 

I can see Ballard coordinating something like that.  It could also explain maybe why Wilks backed out.  Ballard maybe didn't want a guy similar to Toub in demeanor that could become a finalist and actually beat out his guy Toub in the final interview process.  So he made up us leaning towards an offensive candidate to take some competition away from Toub.

Now, these are all just guesses on my part but it's the only reasonable way I can think of for Toub to get the job after not even being named as a candidate.  I want McDaniels so I hope it's not the case but it could actually be a very savvy move by Ballard.  And in that scenario, if Toub stumbles or doesn't wow Irsay, you still have McDaniels lined up... 

What you guys think?  Too much tinfoil hat or plausible?

I'm thinking that way as well, and I'm not a conspiracy guy. It's just not adding up that Ballard and Toub have been linked for so long, and we haven't even requested an interview yet. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I can see what you are saying about why they would possibly be keeping an agreement with Toub a secret. 

My only issues are if that was the case why take the stretch it out any longer (which you alluded to in your post), they've done their "due dilligence" or at least did a good show. Also, at this point it seems that if Toub is the guy they are uselessly dragging it out to the point where he could start potentially start missing out on some good coaching staff.

If Toub was their guy from the beginning I would have preferred they just came out and hired him right off the bat than doing this whole "dog and pony" show. Because if he comes out of left field and they hire him now, everyone is going to assume the "search" was just a sham anyway.

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

I can see what you are saying about why they would possibly be keeping an agreement with Toub a secret. 

My only issues are if that was the case why take the stretch it out any longer (which you alluded to in your post), they've done their "due dilligence" or at least did a good show. Also, at this point it seems that if Toub is the guy they are uselessly dragging it out to the point where he could start potentially start missing out on some good coaching staff.

If Toub was their guy from the beginning I would have preferred they just came out and hired him right off the bat than doing this whole "dog and pony" show. Because if he comes out of left field and they hire him now, everyone is going to assume the "search" was just a sham anyway.

I mostly agree with this. I'll just say that if Toub was the guy and the search was a sham, this would have been done on Monday. They already fulfilled their Rooney Rule obligation with Kris Richard. Once KC was eliminated, they could have cancelled everyone else and introduced Toub.

I think Ballard is a due diligence kind of guy. He wanted to talk to a lot of guys, and I think he has. If they determine that Toub is the best guy for the job, I think his relationship with Ballard will be a big factor in that, but I'm not ready to say that's a bad thing. And whatever happens, I don't think the entire process has just been a dog and pony show.

Lastly, I still think it's McDaniels, making all of this moot. But I can't get over this feeling that Toub (or even someone else) is still in the mix.

Edit: One more thing, I'm not too worried about missing out on assistants. It looks like Ballard is already lining up the coordinators, and there are lots of position coaches. Following the Niners blueprint from last year, if it's McDaniels, they're working on the staff together already...

Boston radio, specifically Scott Zolak who was a backup qb for the pats for a while, is saying it absolutely will not be McDaniels.  He hasn't said it was based on any inside information.  I hope he is right but the longer this goes with the pats in the playoffs the more i think it is McDaniels.  

If it is, i'll support it but i won't like it for a while...unless he starts winning immediately.  

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're assuming that's Toub's only redeeming qualification, and it's not.

Whoever the next coach will be, he won't get the job just because he's friends with the GM. I think we all know that.

Sure but having a secret meeting and stuff is wrong I don't care how well he knows him he should go through like everyone else 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I mostly agree with this. I'll just say that if Toub was the guy and the search was a sham, this would have been done on Monday. They already fulfilled their Rooney Rule obligation with Kris Richard. Once KC was eliminated, they could have cancelled everyone else and introduced Toub.

I think Ballard is a due diligence kind of guy. He wanted to talk to a lot of guys, and I think he has. If they determine that Toub is the best guy for the job, I think his relationship with Ballard will be a big factor in that, but I'm not ready to say that's a bad thing. And whatever happens, I don't think the entire process has just been a dog and pony show.

Lastly, I still think it's McDaniels, making all of this moot. But I can't get over this feeling that Toub (or even someone else) is still in the mix.

Plus Ballard couldn't just go to Irsay with Toub as the lone candidate.  He probably could with McDaniels because he's more of a known and in demand commodity.  It's either McDaniels or he's gonna stick to his mantra of "competition" and McDaniels will have to beat Toub out for the job in the final stages.  If it's announced that it's still a competition between McDaniels and Toub, McD could easily just take the Giants or Lions jobs and leave us stuck with only Toub.

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The Texans have a system I like better than the Seahawks plus the Texans have had some real sweet D's recently just decimated by injuries 

He was the d coordinator for 1 year. Richard def the safer pick imo

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm thinking that way as well, and I'm not a conspiracy guy. It's just not adding up that Ballard and Toub have been linked for so long, and we haven't even requested an interview yet. 

Yup, count me as somebody who also wouldn't be surprised if this is what goes down.

This is interesting...

Report is Giants now have a new, mystery "sleeper" candidate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/12/report-giants-have-a-fourth-sleeper-candidate/

The Giants have interviewed six potential head coaches, and reportedly reduced that to a shortlist of three finalists.

But with four jobs open and the possibility the finalists might be looking for something else, they need to have a backup plan.

According to Tom Rock and Bob Glauber of Newsday, they have one, with a fourth “sleeper” candidate in place in case things go wrong.

46 minutes ago, Superman said:

Edit: One more thing, I'm not too worried about missing out on assistants. It looks like Ballard is already lining up the coordinators, and there are lots of position coaches. Following the Niners blueprint from last year, if it's McDaniels, they're working on the staff together already...

Question?

How do you see that Ballard is already lining up coordinators?

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering how you arrived at this view?

40 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Boston radio, specifically Scott Zolak who was a backup qb for the pats for a while, is saying it absolutely will not be McDaniels.  He hasn't said it was based on any inside information.  I hope he is right but the longer this goes with the pats in the playoffs the more i think it is McDaniels.  

If it is, i'll support it but i won't like it for a while...unless he starts winning immediately.  

No one in New England is going to say that McDaniels is the guy, especially a former Patriot.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question?

I know the question wasn't posed to me, but TO ME, it'd be the interviewing of people seemingly not yet qualified to be considered for the HC role. Vrabel, Ruhle come to mind.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question?

Just my view, nothing concrete at all. But the recent report that the Seahawks will let Richard leave if he wants, the Rhule interview (and it being kept so quiet), and the idea that McDaniels knows a lot of guys around the league and could probably put together a staff quickly if he had to... 

Combine that with how quickly the Niners put their staff together after the SB, it seems like if the plan was to hire McDaniels, they'd be working on the staff right now. 

I'm probably wrong. It's all a reach, probably some confirmation bias since I want McDaniels, and I'm seeing what I want to see. No one really knows. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just my view, nothing concrete at all. But the recent report that the Seahawks will let Richard leave if he wants, the Rhule interview (and it being kept so quiet), and the idea that McDaniels knows a lot of guys around the league and could probably put together a staff quickly if he had to... 

Combine that with how quickly the Niners put their staff together after the SB, it seems like if the plan was to hire McDaniels, they'd be working on the staff right now. 

I'm probably wrong. It's all a reach, probably some confirmation bias since I want McDaniels, and I'm seeing what I want to see. No one really knows. 

No one really knows, but it does make good business sense, though.

As for our next coach, I have no idea what is going on.  I hope it's not what I've been fearing - due to Luck's health, the shape of the roster, etc., perhaps this job simply isn't very attractive.  Perhaps they have their guy or maybe it will be 2012 all over again where you are choosing from the Chucks of the world.  

As for Toub, if you read Childress' comments it sure seems Nagy came here thinking he had a shot at the job, or perhaps was offered the job.  If Toub were the guy, would that be the case?  Nagy would have wind of it, certainly.

I suppose it could have been sham interview where he was never offered the job, then took the Chicago job quickly, knowing Toub was the guy, but it sure didn't sound like it.

14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No will they say that the BB-TB Dynasty is near the end

They'll do the same thing that always happens when someone leaves New England...

Reports come out that a player/coach may leave: No way he goes theyah, those guys ah gahbage!

Player/coach leaves: I never liked his attitude when he was heyah anyway, he's nobawhdy without Tawmmy & Bill, the guy's a bum, he's gahbage!

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

I honestly don't think that's a reach at all, it's actually the only thing that really makes any sense at this point in regards to how this coaching search has gone so far.