Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That’s silly. 

May be, not denying it! Maybe my distaste for them is just a little higher than most or may need meds, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, csmopar said:

I'm thinking it's to fulfill that having to interview a minority candidate. That said, I hope we interview a bunch of folks, be thorough just don't wait too long

If the Colts don't want to be so blatantly obvious regarding the Rooney Rule they'd interview Leslie frazier as well :thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a question for the people that don’t want McDaniels (I want him here as HC).  With the Lions firing Caldwell, could a Toub as HC & Jim Bob Cooter as OC scenario work if he’s let go with Caldwell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm thinking it's to fulfill that having to interview a minority candidate. That said, I hope we interview a bunch of folks, be thorough just don't wait too long

It may be. I get the sentiment of the rule, but honestly it's probably degrading to get an interview just because you are a minority and the team has to interview someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was raiding the Patriots for coaching personnel right now, the guy I want is Patricia, not necessarily McDaniels.  I respect McDaniels' performance with a high powered offense, but we won't have that next year unless we hit a home run in the draft and get a clean bill of health from Luck, both things that can definitely wind up not happening for us.

 

Patricia meanwhile is somehow turning that defense, which has a strong secondary but is very VERY weak on the line, into something that can win football games.  Belichick is the master of bend not break defensive schemes and Patricia has had years to learn from the best.  His style fits what we need FAR more than McDaniels' does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I’ve got a question for the people that don’t want McDaniels (I want him here as HC).  With the Lions firing Caldwell, could a Toub as HC & Jim Bob Cooter as OC scenario work if he’s let go with Caldwell?

Yeah, but if cooter lives up to the hype Toub would be looking for another OC sooner rather than later. Everyone loves a hot cooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That McDaniels article should salve many of the concerns about the guy. It's candid and revealing. He was too young and arrogant and was given too much power. And he knows it. He sounds like a much better human being today. And coach. I'd be more than fine with him as head coach. He and Luck together would be magic. And he comes from the winningest franchise around. Experience. Success. Perspective. It's all good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

If I was raiding the Patriots for coaching personnel right now, the guy I want is Patricia, not necessarily McDaniels.  I respect McDaniels' performance with a high powered offense, but we won't have that next year unless we hit a home run in the draft and get a clean bill of health from Luck, both things that can definitely wind up not happening for us.

 

Patricia meanwhile is somehow turning that defense, which has a strong secondary but is very VERY weak on the line, into something that can win football games.  Belichick is the master of bend not break defensive schemes and Patricia has had years to learn from the best.  His style fits what we need FAR more than McDaniels' does.

I think the complete opposite. Our offense was our weakest link this year.  And I’ve been way more impressed with Patriots offense as opposed to their defense the last few years...  And don’t sleep on the fact that Patricia has maybe the greatest defensive mind of this generation, helping him make in game adjustments and making gameplans...  He won’t have that anywhere else.  

 

Patricia seems to fit more of the mold of the Pat’s assistants that fail when they leave the nest.  McDaniels already left and failed and has learned and grown some more from that experience. I don’t want to be Patricia’s first failing point.  Let him go elsewhere and fail and then get more grooming later and maybe...  But now, I’m hard pressed to separate what’s actually Patricia & what’s Belichick when it comes to that Pat’s defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice how none of these interviews is Tom Cable! Thought he had serious consideration? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Yeah, I despise the Rooney rule for that reason :(

 

I love the Rooney rule for that reason.

 

You can't get a job if you don't even get an interview.    And before the RR there were off-seasons were no AA were interviewed at all.     It's not perfect, but IMO it's far better to have it than not have it at all...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Notice how none of these interviews is Tom Cable! Thought he had serious consideration? LOL

 

I seriously hope they don’t even consider him for an interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Notice how none of these interviews is Tom Cable! Thought he had serious consideration? LOL

There's still time... don't be too quick to celebrate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I think we are seriously overthinking a very important detail:

 

With a franchise QB, a HC's job becomes 2X easier and in the end is more likely to look good and have favorable opinions regardless of his actual job. 

 

Look at Pagano! Even with his terrible game-management, lack of in-game adjustments, and other terrible HC qualities, he still somehow managed to win A LOT of games with Luck. The mistake that we need to make sure that we DON'T make is to hire a full-on risk like we did with Pagano. There were rumors prior to Pagano's hire that he wasn't the best candidate for HC at the time and obviously now we know about the Pagano/Grigson dynamic.

 

My take on all this HC stuff: As long as we hire somebody that can be an effective game-manager, make in-game adjustments, and can assemble a quality staff, we should be fine as long as we have Luck coming back healthy (which I know isn't even guaranteed). I'd rather take a safer option than go all out on a risky move that could back-fire just as easily as it did with Pagano. I think that is partially the reason why Irsay keeps on insisting that we get a former-head coach because chances are, if those former-head coaches had a franchise QB at this disposal, they would still probably be decent-to-good head coaches.

 

My picks for HC: Jim Schwartz or Toub (would be kinda like John Harbaugh and be sorta hands-off and let his coordinators take care of a lot of in-game responsibilities while he takes care of managing stuff). 

 

I DONT want McDaniels because I think he is a risky hire (more so than Toub). There have been reports that players didn't like playing for him, that he butted heads a lot, etc. Toub on the other hand is a highly-respectable person who has led a top unit for the past decade almost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I love the Rooney rule for that reason.

 

You can't get a job if you don't even get an interview.    And before the RR there were off-seasons were no AA were interviewed at all.     It's not perfect, but IMO it's far better to have it than not have it at all...

 

 

My angle was that teams can tend to make the rule a sham sometimes. I agree, you won't win the lottery till you play it but sometimes, the odds of the situations these minority candidates go into are just that, like the odds of winning a lottery!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I love the Rooney rule for that reason.

 

You can't get a job if you don't even get an interview.    And before the RR there were off-seasons were no AA were interviewed at all.     It's not perfect, but IMO it's far better to have it than not have it at all...

 

Perfect example I'm pretty sure is Vance Joseph.

 

Though I do see both sides of the argument. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

My angle was that teams can tend to make the rule a sham sometimes. I agree, you won't win the lottery till you play it but sometimes, the odds of the situations these minority candidates go into are just that, like the odds of winning a lottery!!

 

The other angle is that most candidates don't get hired until they've been through the interview process a couple times. They get some exposure, the teams give feedback to the league office, and their names get circulated a little bit more. It's definitely not good to just be the Rooney Rule candidate, but I think it helps in a lot of cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

 

Excellent message to send to players. Ballard realizes that the players are the engine that makes things go, and seems to have a good pulse on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

 

I think that is the perfect send off to give prospective to our players. To not just blame coaches, but themselves and be accountable. Sometimes the problem is staring at you in the mirror.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belilcheck or however the hell you spell it always has his hands in that defense. I’d be more reluctant to take the DC under him than I would the OC under him. There has been numerous times where he huddled up with the defense is they are struggling. I haven’t seen much of that when it comes to offense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

My angle was that teams can tend to make the rule a sham sometimes. I agree, you won't win the lottery till you play it but sometimes, the odds of the situations these minority candidates go into are just that, like the odds of winning a lottery!!

 

Yes...   it can be a sham sometimes....

 

Team X is hiring Coach Y and everyone knows it.    So why should any AA candidate interview in that case?

 

Because interviewing for the top job is a good thing.    Because you might really impress the room of execs.   And even if you don't get the job this time, you might get the job the next time it comes open.    Or, an executive in the room leaves that franchise to become the GM elsewhere.   Maybe he was wowed and now he's got a shot to hire you.

 

I would always tell an AA candidate to interview for every job you can even if it's a sham.   Because it could lead to something someday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Excellent message to send to players. Ballard realizes that the players are the engine that makes things go, and seems to have a good pulse on that.

 

I feel like Ballard is pushing all the right buttons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

 

Yes...   it can be a sham sometimes....

 

Team X is hiring Coach Y And everyone knows it.     So why should any AA candidate interview in that case?

 

Because interviewing for the top job is a good thing.    Because you might really impress the room of execs.   And even if you don't get the job this time, you might get the job the next time it comes open.

Or, an executive in the room leaves that franchise to become the GM elsewhere.   Maybe he was wowed and now he's got a shot to hire you.

 

I would always tell an AA candidate to interview for every job you can even if it's a sham.   Because it could lead to something someday.

 

 

True. Jim Caldwell did get interviewed around for the longest time till he got the break with Dungy retiring and then later with the Ravens as OC, and it went from there.

 

Another guy who gets a lot of interviews is the Lions DC, Teryl Austin. I think he is a good DC, not sure if he got let go with Caldwell as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Perfect example I'm pretty sure is Vance Joseph.

 

Though I do see both sides of the argument. 

 

The other example is Mike Tomlin at Pittsburgh.   The job was reportedly going to one of two former Steelers players.    Tomlin was just a guy who HAD to be interviewed.   A formality.    And then he interviewed and wowed them and got the job.    

 

So it CAN happen.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Yes...   it can be a sham sometimes....

 

Team X is hiring Coach Y And everyone knows it.     So why should any AA candidate interview in that case?

 

Because interviewing for the top job is a good thing.    Because you might really impress the room of execs.   And even if you don't get the job this time, you might get the job the next time it comes open.

Or, an executive in the room leaves that franchise to become the GM elsewhere.   Maybe he was wowed and now he's got a shot to hire you.

 

I would always tell an AA candidate to interview for every job you can even if it's a sham.   Because it could lead to something someday.

 

It also gives experience to the people being interviewed. It lets them know what teams are looking for and even if they don't get the job this time they will be better prepared to grab the job that really is up for grabs next time around. And next time around league offices and teams will know that the guy is highly regarded, he will get name recognition that helps raise his profile... 

 

It's not as simple as it's a sham, do away with it... there are several levels to it that make having it worth it over not having it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

Just curious, and OT, but does Luck hold other players accountable....at all?  I know Manning did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Wanted man (or just a Rooney rule guy). List could expand soon, too.

 

edit. Apparently Bears and Cards have requested a permission too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just curious, and OT, but does Luck hold other players accountable....at all?  I know Manning did. 


I'm pretty sure there's a quote from Castonzo or somebody about Luck ripping into teammates when necessary, holding them accountable. Can't seem to find it though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

The other example is Mike Tomlin at Pittsburgh.   The job was reportedly going to one of two former Steelers players.    Tomlin was just a guy who HAD to be interviewed.   A formality.    And then he interviewed and wowed them and got the job.    

 

So it CAN happen.....

 

I agree with the rule but in the case of the Colts this year, I think its a bit irrelevant.  I think the draw is for someone with a short passing game offense experience, hence the McDaniels and Nagy chatter.  If there is a black coach with the reputation on offense the Colts appear to be seeking, then the interview process bears fruit.  But unless there is a candidate with that background, I don't know if the Rooney Rule is going to help the Colts land their next HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree with the rule but in the case of the Colts this year, I think its a bit irrelevant.  I think the draw is for someone with a short passing game offense experience, hence the McDaniels and Nagy chatter.  If there is a black coach with the reputation on offense the Colts appear to be seeking, then the interview process bears fruit.  But unless there is a candidate with that background, I don't know if the Rooney Rule is going to help the Colts land their next HC.

Not relevant for today’s nfl but I wonder if interviewing a woman qualifies despite women being the majority of the population.  Just thinking out loud 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Yeah, but if cooter lives up to the hype Toub would be looking for another OC sooner rather than later. Everyone loves a hot cooter.

 

So, that's what they're calling it these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Coltsfan1284 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21932669/new-york-giants-interview-new-england-patriots-offensive-defensive-coordinators

 

This article also mentions the Colts have asked permission to interview Patricia Patriots DC.

 

How do we know how much influence he really has with the defense? It's also not a great defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's probably not going to be too many other names mentioned. I bet the next coach comes from Nagy, Toub, or Mcdaniels unless Wilks blows their socks off. I bet the process goes about as long as the GM search did or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

There's probably not going to be too many other names mentioned. I bet the next coach comes from Nagy, Toub, or Mcdaniels unless Wilks blows their socks off. I bet the process goes about as long as the GM search did or less.

They can't hire one of the three before they interview Wilks, so the Wilks interview will have to come pretty soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • They have a replacement in Okafor for Davis. Both him and Randle played well down the stretch while Davis was out. Randle is a guy I would potentially look at as well. With NO obviously going after Zion, Randle has already turned down his player option and is a FA. If Thad turns is no longer and option, I think Randle would be a good fill in at PF for the Pacers. 24 years old and averaged 21 and 9 playing off the bench half of the year last year.    It would be nice to unload McDermitt's contract and put that extra 7.5M/yr elsewhere.    As I said earlier in the thread, we have quite a few holes to fill on a capped budget and I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys (Thad, Bogy, CJ) decline offers from the Pacers and move on. 
    • I think you will see another WR drafted....or a TE. Funchess will likely be gone...Hilton is a year older. Even if Cain and Campbell are both what they hoped for...there is still room to develop another Day Two pick at the position. We will see though.
    • Agree. It's just the logic that gets me. It's wishful thinking (or homerism) to think that Foles doesn't impvoe a Blake Bortles-led offense.   And had Luck not come back healthy...I would bet there is a pretty decent chance that Foles is a Colt. But I am grateful that he did.
    • Interesting. The Colts are #1...but the LAR are #2. Two distinct roster building styles.   I think SF gets a bit slighted here. They have a great HC and a young QB who was lighting it up before getting hurt. He should be able to return just fine...and they have a ton of young talent and cap space.   Honestly, NO has a lot of young talent..but an older QB.   "Set up for the future" doesn't really mean as much in the NFL as it does other sports...unless you are Patriots (and the future doesn't really seem to matter). But it's a better place to be than not.
    • i don't get the Foles hate..... I think Brissett is a decent QB and deserves a chance, but I'm not afraid of letting him go.
  • Members

    • C0LT5

      C0LT5 100

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DerekDiggler

      DerekDiggler 140

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BPindy

      BPindy 375

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • compuls1v3

      compuls1v3 187

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • wig

      wig 881

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • our_dbs_rock

      our_dbs_rock 819

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dodsworth

      dodsworth 927

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Bluefire4

      Bluefire4 2,134

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 18,996

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HOF19

      HOF19 390

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...