Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

Nice, glad we got an official word on an interview request. Was getting just a lil worried seeing all the other teams with HC vacancies lining up all these interviews.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

We might wind up turning this thread into the hub for all linked candidates, as more reports come out.

By the way, some rules for the hiring process as it relates to current NFL assistants/coaches:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

The Colts, like every team, must follow the Rooney Rule, which makes it a requirement to interview at least one minority candidate in the proces.

The Colts can’t announce the hiring of a coach from another team until that coach’s season is finished.

Only coaches on staffs of eliminated teams can be interviewed immediately unless that team has a first round bye in the playoffs (e.g. McDaniels)

Coaches on teams that win the Wild Card game can be interviewed from the end of that game to end of the Divisional game on Jan. 14.

Coaches playing in the Super Bowl that have already had interviews can conduct a second interview no later than Jan. 28.

If we assume that the Colts will be interviewing Toub and/or Nagy from KC, those interviews can't happen until next week, which means we should buckle in for an extended hiring process. I'm fine with that.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

We might wind up turning this thread into the hub for all linked candidates, as more reports come out.

By the way, some rules for the hiring process as it relates to current NFL assistants/coaches:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

If we assume that the Colts will be interviewing Toub and/or Nagy from KC, those interviews can't happen until next week, which means we should buckle in for an extended hiring process. I'm fine with that.

They are asking to interview Steve Wilks from Carolina 

Per NFL.com push.

There is a Ballard connection from back in Chicago. 

A former DB coach who has one yr of coordinating experience. Sounds familiar.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

According to Garafolo we have requested interview with Panthers DC Steve Wilks. Anybody know something about him? 

Really do not want anything the patriots have! Despise the franchise! Bad enough that this season was horrible but on top having to hear about Brady and pats every ball game with the Brissett connection.  Just my take and how I feel!

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Colts have requested to interview him. 

Defensive guy.  Interesting.  Good reputation.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

According to Garafolo we have requested interview with Panthers DC Steve Wilks. Anybody know something about him? 

He`s a minority!

Just now, coltsfan77 said:

Really do not want anything the patriots have! Despise the franchise! Bad enough that this season was horrible but on top having to hear about Brady and pats every ball game with the Brissett connection.  Just my take and how I feel!

Are you mis-guided here? If McDaniels is hired the ONLY thing you would want is the Pats offensive scheme that should have always been in place here. The routes, design, everything would hands down have this offense 100% more efficient regardless of who is under center

Just now, chad hugo said:

If mcdaniels does get the job, who does he bring with him staff wise or is that up to ballard ? 

They'll make those decisions together.

But if you look back at the staff McDaniels put together in Denver, it was kind of impressive. Hired Mike Nolan as DC, brought in Mike McCoy as OC and Adam Gase as an offensive assistant, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They are asking to interview Steve Wilks from Carolina 

Find a link and post it here.

Just now, Superman said:

Lol I don't know how to do that haha there is a thread already with one you could merge them tho

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Stitches started a thread on it with a link I think, could be merged.

EDIT: Nvm, he already showed up.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Anyone think we could see Mike Vrable as Josh McDaniels DC if Bill O'Brien is let go?

I think it's already been confirmed he is staying in houston

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He`s a minority!

Yeah, I despise the Rooney rule for that reason :(

Just now, BOTT said:

I think it's already been confirmed he is staying in houston

I believe that! I see no reason he should be fired honestly. I actually think Bill is a good coach he has had garbage at QB til he got Watson.

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Are you mis-guided here? If McDaniels is hired the ONLY thing you would want is the Pats offensive scheme that should have always been in place here. The routes, design, everything would hands down have this offense 100% more efficient regardless of who is under center

No. I stated how I feel. May be wrong, but would rather win with something not patriot related. There is no guarantee he would have success here anyway liike anyone else. Would prefer going a different direction. Again not saying that I am right but how I personally feel. Will be a diehard fan regardless,  just not my preference. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

They'll make those decisions together.

But if you look back at the staff McDaniels put together in Denver, it was kind of impressive. Hired Mike Nolan as DC, brought in Mike McCoy as OC and Adam Gase as an offensive assistant, etc. 

Mike Nolan's defense stinks though.

8 minutes ago, coltsfan77 said:

Man, im a bit torn here as well. I dont hate many things, but USC, Patriots, and snakes are on my short list. But, I do respect them. Maybe with the first 2 comes a bit of jealousy as well. I would be lying if i didnt say that i wish we could have success such as the Pats have.. 

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Mike Nolan's defense stinks though.

It didn't back then. 

17 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Per NFL.com push.

There is a Ballard connection from back in Chicago. 

Merged your thread about Wilks. 

1 minute ago, coltsfan77 said:

No. I stated how I feel. May be wrong, but would rather win with something not patriot related. There is no guarantee he would have success here anyway liike anyone else. Would prefer going a different direction. Again not saying that I am right but how I personally feel. Will be a diehard fan regardless,  just not my preference. 

Fair enough, I think at the end of the day from a purely football business side of things, the cheating junk isn't going to ever amount to a hill of beans with Ballard. In the past it would've with polian, grigs, etc. Ballard strikes me as a guy who understands that winning trumps all else in this league or at least that's what I'm personally hoping for

18 minutes ago, coltsfan77 said:

That’s silly. 

Genuinely excited about this possibility. He seems to have learned his lessons and his offensive system is exactly the type I want Luck to be running. Hope it happens.

I don't know if McDermott is reliable. He only has about 4K followers but is local journalist. Noone else has reported officially that we've asked for interviews with Matt Nagy and Dave Toub. 

13 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I believe that! I see no reason he should be fired honestly. I actually think Bill is a good coach he has had garbage at QB til he got Watson.

I think he is a good coach too, Dude was winning 8-9 games a year with horrible QBs. Wouldve easily won 11 or maybe even 12 games this year if Watson stayed healthy.

1 minute ago, ND Irish said:

Man, im a bit torn here as well. I dont hate many things, but USC, Patriots, and snakes are on my short list. But, I do respect them. Maybe with the first 2 comes a bit of jealousy as well. I would be lying if i didnt say that i wish we could have success such as the Pats have.. 

Yea, know jealousy is part of it. Plus can't help to feel cheated by them out of at least one Superbowl. Just do not want to hear about the pats every week and especially a colts game. I am a big Duke basketball fan and have two studs on the Celtics. Can't pull for them because I really do not want anything out of Boston to win because of pats fans, lol! Also am an Orioles fan, then there is the red sox,  a different discussion. 

Nagy seems like a pretty ineresting offensive minded coach and has also been in a good system in KC under Reid. A first time HC and a 2nd year GM scares the crap out of me though. Just seems very reminiscent to 6 years ago.

Please don't make the mistake of hiring Wilks. I'm not saying he can't be good, but the situation could not be more Pagano-esque if we tried. 1 yr DC that inherited a good defense.

Just now, ND Irish said:

Nagy seems like a pretty ineresting offensive minded coach and has also been in a good system in KC under Reid. A first time HC and a 2nd year GM scares the crap out of me though. Just seems very reminiscent to 6 years ago.

Agreed

Just now, Derakynn said:

Please don't make the mistake of hiring Wilks. I'm not saying he can't be good, but the situation could not be more Pagano-esque if we tried. 1 yr DC that inherited a good defense.

I'm thinking it's to fulfill that having to interview a minority candidate. That said, I hope we interview a bunch of folks, be thorough just don't wait too long