Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

They can't hire one of the three before they interview Wilks, so the Wilks interview will have to come pretty soon.

Or they just interview a minority internally. There are a lot of ways to get around the rule.

29 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Not relevant for today’s nfl but I wonder if interviewing a woman qualifies despite women being the majority of the population.  Just thinking out loud 

The rule is there to make sure qualified minority candidates are not passed over because of their minority status.  I don't think interviewing someone just because they are a minority has anything to do with it.  Most coaches in the NFL are technically qualified I believe.

I just think if Ballard came in the door wanting Toub as early as last year hes got a pretty good idea of what he wants. Nagy hes got real good Intel on, and Mcdaniels hes got great incite on now. I just think he has a really good idea of what he wants and who the top candidates are who can fulfill that. So far he really hasn't gone outside of who we were expecting. I dont think this will take all that long to be honest. He cane in the door knowing what we needed last year.

48 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree with the rule but in the case of the Colts this year, I think its a bit irrelevant.  I think the draw is for someone with a short passing game offense experience, hence the McDaniels and Nagy chatter.  If there is a black coach with the reputation on offense the Colts appear to be seeking, then the interview process bears fruit.  But unless there is a candidate with that background, I don't know if the Rooney Rule is going to help the Colts land their next HC.

No.   it's not.    I agree.

But we have to interview an AA candidate anyway.   I hope that candidate takes the interview and kills it.    And I hope that experience leads to that man getting a HC job somewhere down the road.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   it's not.    I agree.

But we have to interview an AA candidate anyway.   I hope that candidate takes the interview and kills it.    And I hope that experience leads to that man getting a HC job somewhere down the road.

Just to nitpick, the rule requires interviewing a minority candidate. Doesn't have to be AA candidate. Ron Rivera was a Rooney Rule interviewee a few times.

11 minutes ago, a06cc said:

What about an off the street rule. I would like to request an interview for the job.

So would I. If they'll fly me out to Indy for a few days, put me up in the the JW Marriott and let me meet some of the guys, I'll satisfy their Rooney Rule interview and I won't complain about it at all.

22 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I have a feeling we hire McDaniels if he is willing to leave NE.

I tend to agree, makes sense with having Brissett as well in the event Luck doesn't play. 

In Colts best interest regarding Luck is to build around QB whether he plays or not. With Brissett in building QB is not a pressing issue right away, at least IMO. 

Also, if McDaniels is hired I believe TY will serve better and stay. TY's money(guaranteed) is payed out and would be an easy out if Ballard wanted to part ways, however with how the Pats utilize their receivers, I think TY remains an asset.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just to nitpick, the rule requires interviewing a minority candidate. Doesn't have to be AA candidate. Ron Rivera was a Rooney Rule interviewee a few times.

Yes....     I was being intellectually lazy.    I was using AA as a catch-all for all people of color and that's wrong.

My bad.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The rule is there to make sure qualified minority candidates are not passed over because of their minority status.  I don't think interviewing someone just because they are a minority has anything to do with it.  Most coaches in the NFL are technically qualified I believe.

I meant a female coach not some random woman

9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Also, if McDaniels is hired I believe TY will serve better and stay. TY's money(guaranteed) is payed out and would be an easy out if Ballard wanted to part ways, however with how the Pats utilize their receivers, I think TY remains an asset.

I don't think there's any reason to even consider getting rid of TY. The offense has been disjointed schematically and personnel wise, obviously this season, but even going back to 2015. Hilton led the league in receiving yards last season. He played with a limited backup QB who doesn't know the playbook, and still had his 'unstoppable TY Hilton' moments.

Also, he's one of only two receivers still under contract. We have enough roster work to do without getting rid of a good player who can still break a game open on his own.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think there's any reason to even consider getting rid of TY. The offense has been disjointed schematically and personnel wise, obviously this season, but even going back to 2015. Hilton led the league in receiving yards last season. He played with a limited backup QB who doesn't know the playbook, and still had his 'unstoppable TY Hilton' moments.

Also, he's one of only two receivers still under contract. We have enough roster work to do without getting rid of a good player who can still break a game open on his own.

Whether true or not TY was floated as trade possibility before deadline and his contract does make it easier in some sort. I'm not agreeing with getting rid of him at all, however it's hard for me to know what Colts brass could be thinking behind the scenes. In a Pats system tho, for sake of discussion, I believe he would be much more productive

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Whether true or not TY was floated as trade possibility before deadline and his contract does make it easier in some sort. I'm not agreeing with getting rid of him at all, however it's hard for me to know what Colts brass could be thinking behind the scenes. In a Pats system tho, for sake of discussion, I believe he would be much more productive

A trade scenario is different, as that depends largely on the return. If someone wants to give us a really good pick for him, I'd listen, but I still think I'd rather have him, especially next year.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

A trade scenario is different, as that depends largely on the return. If someone wants to give us a really good pick for him, I'd listen, but I still think I'd rather have him, especially next year.

I agree and I wasn't necessarily implying we would release him without getting something in return even if my answer was vague, leading to that assumption. I have never viewed TY as a true number 1 and have always wanted/wished the Colts had a better outside game/threat to free Hilton to slot work or at least field roaming with less attention

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

I agree and I wasn't necessarily implying we would release him without getting something in return even if my answer was vague, leading to that assumption. I have never viewed TY as a true number 1 and have always wanted/wished the Colts had a better outside game/threat to free Hilton to slot work or at least field roaming with less attention

I think we need a possession receiver, for sure. Ir that guy is a prototypical #1 and red zone threat, even better, but I'd take a solid guy who can get open and move the chains. I'd also keep Moncrief on a small deal, if he's willing to stay. 

But I think Hilton is very valuable, especially if Luck is healthy. The Colts don't have to make any decisions based on cap considerations this year, and Hilton at $11m is barely top ten this year, based on average salary. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think we need a possession receiver, for sure. Ir that guy is a prototypical #1 and red zone threat, even better, but I'd take a solid guy who can get open and move the chains. I'd also keep Moncrief on a small deal, if he's willing to stay. 

But I think Hilton is very valuable, especially if Luck is healthy. The Colts don't have to make any decisions based on cap considerations this year, and Hilton at $11m is barely top ten this year, based on average salary. 

Not sure what everybody's take on Robinson would be, however with the emergence of Westbrook and Cole and Hurns still in the mix, he might be able to be had. I personally wanted a shot at Adams, however I also knew GB would've been fools not to tie him up

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Not sure what everybody's take on Robinson would be, however with the emergence of Westbrook and Cole and Hurns still in the mix, he might be able to be had. I personally wanted a shot at Adams, however I also knew GB would've been fools not to tie him up

The Packers always keep their own.

I'd take Robinson on a reasonable deal, but he's coming back from his ACL and will probably want to stay where he's known if he's going to do a one year deal before trying to cash in. 

What is the rule on asking to interview a coach? I thought permission was only required when that coach was in post season play. I also thought the option to deny a request exists until such team is eliminated from post season play.

If this correct, there are potentially many other candidates already scheduled for interviews that are not noted, because no formal public request is required.

Some one get me up to speed on this please...

4 hours ago, Derakynn said:

It may be. I get the sentiment of the rule, but honestly it's probably degrading to get an interview just because you are a minority and the team has to interview someone.

Maybe the NFL should require every team to invite at least one caucasian cornerback to training camp.

58 minutes ago, stitches said:

There's a name I wasn't expecting...

5 minutes ago, Douzer said:

What is the rule on asking to interview a coach? I thought permission was only required when that coach was in post season play. I also thought the option to deny a request exists until such team is eliminated from post season play.

If this correct, there are potentially many other candidates already scheduled for interviews that are not noted, because no formal public request is required.

Some one get me up to speed on this please...

I think if the candidate is under contract, permission has to be obtained. If they contract is set to expire, or has expired, they don't need permission. 

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Maybe it's to help get McDaniels? I don't see why we would even entertain this. Texans defense, albeit had tons of injuries, wasn't that good

The year before it was very good. Vrabel seems like an option, if not at head coach, maybe d-coord? Idk if that’s even possible

5 hours ago, Derakynn said:

It may be. I get the sentiment of the rule, but honestly it's probably degrading to get an interview just because you are a minority and the team has to interview someone.

Its only degrading if you think the person being interviewed isn't qualified.   And I think the candidates being talked about are very qualified.

I think it's far more degrading to have all these job openings and have zero AA candidates be interviewed.     And that happened so often that the Rooney Rule was created.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

There's a name I wasn't expecting...

I think if the candidate is under contract, permission has to be obtained. If they contract is set to expire, or has expired, they don't need permission. 

It's basically a formality. A team can't keep an assistant from interviewing for a head coaching job, but the new team still has to request permission.

A team can request to interview an assistant for another assistant job, but teams usually don't grant those requests. Sometimes you'll see a position coach be requested for a coordinator job, but again, teams don't have to give permission, so even that doesn't happen that often anymore. 

Also, it seems typical that assistant coaches contracts don't expire until after the Super Bowl, so even if a guy has an expiring contract, if a team wants to interview him, his current team has to give permission. We did the same thing with Chud in 2015.