Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report : Jim Irsay Wants Jim Harbaugh to Coach Colts

Horseshoe

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yeah he's getting a huge paycheck up in Michigan.  This is why I had coaching job from a place like Michigan to the NFL is just a lateral move.  The paycheck he is getting is just as big as in the NFL head coaching paycheck.  The fan base is just as big if not bigger than NFL franchises.

I don't see him leaving Michigan for the NFL again.  

Maybe we should wait until after the Outback Bowl. If SC embarrasses Michigan, maybe Harbaugh gets fired.

18 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Getting Harbaugh is a long shot and if it did happen we would probably have a few good seasons before he eventually wore out his welcome. It would be quite a ride. I wouldn’t be mad if it happened. 

So you’re ok giving Harbaugh a chance and “hopefully” settling for a few good seasons, then letting the franchise derail back into sucking over even giving McDaniels a shot?  That’s hilarious. 

53 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

The 49ers didn’t stink when he arrived there.  He walked into the 13th ranked D which included the 6th best against the run, and a 2010 draft which gave them Iupati and Bowman.  The roster had Gore, Joe Staley, Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Dashon Goldson, and maybe the best MLB since Ray in Willis.  And Lee and Akers were solid in special teams.  That was a team who had a foundation of an identity in place.   Run the ball, play D, and don’t ever be afraid to punt.   That 2011 team, Jim’s first,  had 9 Pro Bowl players, 7 of which were already on the roster pre-Jim.  The other two were free agent pick ups. He wasn’t a miracle worker.  He was the perfect chef for the ingredients already at the house.  And when the ingredients ran out two years later, there was no magic left.  

The Colts roster is the antithesis of what Harbaugh is and does.  

Yup. Harbaugh wears out his welcome everywhere he goes. He's type AAAAA and does not play in anyone's sandbox well. I honestly don't believe our new GM, who allegedly has control of the next HC decision, would give him a second thought. They would clash from day one. What will be interesting is how long Harbaugh lasts in Ann Arbor. 

All that said, he did a heckuva job at Stanford and with the Niners. But nobody except the fans were sad to see him go. 

15 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

So you’re ok giving Harbaugh a chance and “hopefully” settling for a few good seasons, then letting the franchise derail back into sucking over even giving McDaniels a shot?  That’s hilarious. 

McDaniels isn’t my first choice. That said if Ballard hires him I will trust his judgement. In my eyes Harbaugh is a known quantity and McDaniels is a known quantity and between the two I think Harbaugh is the superior coach. But it’s Ballard’s call. 

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Hes had problems recruiting at the school up north, but he’s done pretty well with what he had.  He’s finally getting a good QB, so I doubt he’d leave.  

As as far as money, he’s well compensated there.  

Jim Harbaugh would have to pay the 7 million that Michigan has loaned him the last two years? Michigan has agree to loan Jim 2 million dollars a year till he dies. Then Michigan would get their money back at that time.

All that would have to be settled if and when he leaves.

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jim Harbaugh would have to pay the 7 million that Michigan has loaned him the last two years? Michigan has agree to loan Jim 2 million dollars a year till he dies. Then Michigan would get their money back at that time.

I have a dumb question.  If Jim is making all this money why would he borrow 2mil a year till he dies then his estate has to repay it when he dies?   Has he in fact borrowed 7mil dollars?  Trying to earn a little extra return in a safe investment?   As long as the principal is safe he can pay it back at any time, so if he did borrow it it's shouldn't be a big deal.  Right?

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have a dumb question.  If Jim is making all this money why would he borrow 2mil a year till he dies then his estate has to repay it when he dies?   Has he in fact borrowed 7mil dollars?  Trying to earn a little extra return in a safe investment?   As long as the principal is safe he can pay it back at any time, so if he did borrow it it's shouldn't be a big deal.  Right?

The way I was reading it, it had ties to insurance. It was very hard to understand why this went down and why Jim needed loans in the first place with the contract and incentives he gets.

Don't worry about asking what you consider a dumb question because I feel dumb for not understanding the ins and outs of the whole deal myself.

Maybe Sup can look at it and put it into terms that can be understood?

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Why are things not working out for Harbaugh in Michigan?

Because almost the whole team turned over after last season.  And he hasn't had a QB until he picked up the kid transferring from Ole Miss to play next year.  He will likely stay there but I don't know why anybody would want to be a college coach if they could be in the league.  Begging teenagers to come to your school and being a babysitter for them.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Thats not quite right.  They’re paying his insurance premium to,the amount of $14M for six years.  He doesn’t have to pay it back.  The university gets their principal back if Harbaugh dies in place.  

There are some other clauses, but basically it’s a way to supplement his already huge salary since he can borrow from the policy.   

Its unclear if he has to pay back anything if he leaves as long as he keeps the policy active.  I’m not 100% clear on that but I think it means that if he goes to the pros, the new team would continue the policy as part of his compensation. 

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well this oughta be interesting 

Well yeah..... but look at Del Rio.... he's failed now twice at HC so doesn't that mean it's a wash?

He didn't fail he had a decent run with the jags and made the playoffs last season now the only coach I think on the raiders that should have been fired is OC Downing cause his offense was awful.

9 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He didn't fail he had a decent run with the jags and made the playoffs last season now the only coach I think on the raiders that should have been fired is OC Downing cause his offense was awful.

Del Rio fired Musgrave and sealed his fate. That was his call. Carr regressed badly.  

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Thats not quite right.  They’re paying his insurance premium to,the amount of $14M for six years.  He doesn’t have to pay it back.  The university gets their principal back if Harbaugh dies in place.  

There are some other clauses, but basically it’s a way to supplement his already huge salary since he can borrow from the policy.   

Its unclear if he has to pay back anything if he leaves as long as he keeps the policy active.  I’m not 100% clear on that but I think it means that if he goes to the pros, the new team would continue the policy as part of his compensation. 

It's worded as a loan.

Wouldn't you think if a pro team does hire him they might balk at paying him for his loans from Michigan? 

Like I said in an earlier comment the whole deal is hard to understand all the details.

From outside looking in it seems like it would be very hard for him to get any better deal in the pros than what he has at Michigan.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's worded as a loan.

Wouldn't you think if a pro team does hire him they might balk at paying him for his loans from Michigan? 

Like I said in an earlier comment the whole deal is hard to understand all the details.

From outside looking in it seems like it would be very hard for him to get any better deal in the pros than what he has at Michigan.

Yeah, it is a loan.  The question is would Harbaugh have to repay it?  The way I read it, the answer is not really.

As long as the insurance policy stays active, Harbaugh does not need to repay the loan until he dies. At that time, the university can recoup its original investment and the rest of the insurance payout would go to whomever Harbaugh chooses as his beneficiaries. Should the policy be stopped at any point, Michigan would still be entitled to get its money back from the insurer.”

”Insurer” is the key word there.  That’s the insurance company.  

Then there’s this:

If Harbaugh decides to leave the school or is fired, the university will stop providing the loans for insurance premium payments. If the insurance policy is canceled for any reason after that point, Harbaugh will need to pay back the money Michigan loaned him.”

So, it sounds like if he leaves, the new team can just continue paying the policy as a means of compensation.  And, as always, deals can be renegotiated.  

I still doubt he’d leave.

6 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

The 49ers didn’t stink when he arrived there.  He walked into the 13th ranked D which included the 6th best against the run, and a 2010 draft which gave them Iupati and Bowman.  The roster had Gore, Joe Staley, Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Dashon Goldson, and maybe the best MLB since Ray in Willis.  And Lee and Akers were solid in special teams.  That was a team who had a foundation of an identity in place.   Run the ball, play D, and don’t ever be afraid to punt.   That 2011 team, Jim’s first,  had 9 Pro Bowl players, 7 of which were already on the roster pre-Jim.  The other two were free agent pick ups. He wasn’t a miracle worker.  He was the perfect chef for the ingredients already at the house.  And when the ingredients ran out two years later, there was no magic left.  

The Colts roster is the antithesis of what Harbaugh is and does.  

Did it ever cross your mind that a lot of those guys became Pro-Bowlers because of Jim's Coaching. In 2010 the 49ers did stink, they were 6-10 (6-10 stinks). Also up to that point Alex Smith was a bust as a #1 pick. Jim comes in and all of the sudden Alex Smith is Good. I think you are short changing the job Jim did in 2011.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Did it ever cross your mind that a lot of those guys became Pro-Bowlers because of Jim's Coaching. In 2010 the 49ers did stink, they were 6-10 (6-10 stinks). Also up to that point Alex Smith was a bust as a #1 pick. Jim comes in and all of the sudden Alex Smith is Good. I think you are short changing the job Jim did in 2011.

No, no it never crossed my mind.  Because JH wasn’t coaching linebackers.  Or OL.  Or teaching Gore a thing.   Or DBs.   Or Vernon.  Oh, but his one big decision, the one involving the position he played, his claim to fame as a QB guy, that one he destroyed.  JH’s insistence on Kap over Smith was the turning point on that team and the start of the decline.   Alex Smith is still a part of playoff teams.   Kap, well, not so much.  And Jim’s record at Michigan is the same as Brady Hoke.  Stanford hasn’t missed a beat either.  His metoeric rise was fun to watch.  It burned out quick too.  

3 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

No, no it never crossed my mind.  Because JH wasn’t coaching linebackers.  Or OL.  Or teaching Gore a thing.   Or DBs.   Or Vernon.  Oh, but his one big decision, the one involving the position he played, his claim to fame as a QB guy, that one he destroyed.  JH’s insistence on Kap over Smith was the turning point on that team and the start of the decline.   Alex Smith is still a part of playoff teams.   Kap, well, not so much.  And Jim’s record at Michigan is the same as Brady Hoke.  Stanford hasn’t missed a beat either.  His metoeric rise was fun to watch.  It burned out quick too.  

We probably wont hire him anyway. Doubt he leaves Michigan but I think he's a Good Coach, sounds like you don't but that is your opinion.

13 hours ago, Horseshoe said:

Usually Id dismiss as unlikely but Peter King is probably one of most reliable sources in the NFL. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/01/buffalo-bills-playoffs-black-monday-jon-gruden-mmqb-peter-king

I do think Jim wants a big hire, if he gets it or not is a different question. Jim Harbaugh would be my number one choice, I just don't see him leaving though.

That's probably why Irsay was talking like that about Luck in the presser.