Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hope for Colts 2018

hdcummins

Now that the Colts 2017 Season of disaster is over, and room has been made for a fresh set of eyes, hands and ideas at the HC position, I have a lot of hope for 2018. It was really hard watching this season, and I hope that all of the players that were placed on IR are healing well. I know that along with coaching staff, there will be a LOT of player changes coming. Some players I wish would stay, but I'm not getting paid the big bucks to make those decisions. Of the 53-man roster, there are 37 that I would keep, if anybody asked me.

In alpha order:

Basham, Bostic, Brissett, Butler, Castonzo, Doyle, Farley, Geathers, Good, Gore, Green, Haeg, Hankins, Hilton(if he'll play like he used to), Hunt, Kelly, Mack, Melvin, Mingo, Mocrief, Person, Ridgeway, Sanchez, Sheard, Vinitieri, Vujnovich, Wilson, Anderson, Bray, Desir, Hooker, Luck, Mewhort(if he can stay healthy)Simon, Swoope, and Turbin. These men played their butts off this season, even knowing this was not going to be a good one. They never gave up and they played well together. And that was another key to this dismal season.

So many changes between OTAs and the final preseason game made it nearly impossible for the team to learn how to play like a team. It was so many guys playing to their position, not to the situation. Communication is so key in situational play, and those connections just weren't being made until too late in the season. By then, too many players were out on IR, injured, busted up, or beat down.

Something the team finally did well, we really learned how to run the ball. That is a piece that has been missing for the last few seasons. Frank Gore is the absolute best at what he does, and Mack is up & coming. The O-line were able to produce the holes needed, but still haven't been able to figure out how to successfully protect the QB with any regularity. The defense had it just as bad. Playing man-to-man when zone coverage would have been better, and vice versa. Red zone defense was kicked up a notch, but not getting the stops necessary to not get into those situations in the first place really needed to happen, and it just didn't. The last quarter of the season was really where the guys came together as a unit, but it was too little, too late.

So, going into 2018, those are the players I'd like to see the Colts lock up in contract, and get some new, really good, young talent to round out the roster. I don't know if our cap has room for my wish list, and a Head Coach like Bruce Arians, or someone who has a real fire in their gut, who can instill that same fire in the players. But what I do know for certain, is that I love this team, and have a lot of hope for the 2018 season.

Thank you Coach Pagano, for all that you've given to the organization the past six years, thank you Colts players and coaching staff for all the hard work, and thank you Colts organization, from the top down, for being here in Indy, and for everything you have done and all that you will do for our city!

Colts.jpg

2 minutes ago, hdcummins said:

Now that the Colts 2017 Season of disaster is over, and room has been made for a fresh set of eyes, hands and ideas at the HC position, I have a lot of hope for 2018. It was really hard watching this season, and I hope that all of the players that were placed on IR are healing well. I know that along with coaching staff, there will be a LOT of player changes coming. Some players I wish would stay, but I'm not getting paid the big bucks to make those decisions. Of the 53-man roster, there are 37 that I would keep, if anybody asked me.

In alpha order:

Basham, Bostic, Brissett, Butler, Castonzo, Doyle, Farley, Geathers, Good, Gore, Green, Haeg, Hankins, Hilton(if he'll play like he used to), Hunt, Kelly, Mack, Melvin, Mingo, Mocrief, Person, Ridgeway, Sanchez, Sheard, Vinitieri, Vujnovich, Wilson, Anderson, Bray, Desir, Hooker, Luck, Mewhort(if he can stay healthy)Simon, Swoope, and Turbin. These men played their butts off this season, even knowing this was not going to be a good one. They never gave up and they played well together. And that was another key to this dismal season.

So many changes between OTAs and the final preseason game made it nearly impossible for the team to learn how to play like a team. It was so many guys playing to their position, not to the situation. Communication is so key in situational play, and those connections just weren't being made until too late in the season. By then, too many players were out on IR, injured, busted up, or beat down.

Something the team finally did well, we really learned how to run the ball. That is a piece that has been missing for the last few seasons. Frank Gore is the absolute best at what he does, and Mack is up & coming. The O-line were able to produce the holes needed, but still haven't been able to figure out how to successfully protect the QB with any regularity. The defense had it just as bad. Playing man-to-man when zone coverage would have been better, and vice versa. Red zone defense was kicked up a notch, but not getting the stops necessary to not get into those situations in the first place really needed to happen, and it just didn't. The last quarter of the season was really where the guys came together as a unit, but it was too little, too late.

So, going into 2018, those are the players I'd like to see the Colts lock up in contract, and get some new, really good, young talent to round out the roster. I don't know if our cap has room for my wish list, and a Head Coach like Bruce Arians, or someone who has a real fire in their gut, who can instill that same fire in the players. But what I do know for certain, is that I love this team, and have a lot of hope for the 2018 season.

Thank you Coach Pagano, for all that you've given to the organization the past six years, thank you Colts players and coaching staff for all the hard work, and thank you Colts organization, from the top down, for being here in Indy, and for everything you have done and all that you will do for our city!

Colts.jpg

I’m sorry but you discredit your eye for talent when you mention the likes of Vujinovich and green and players we should keep they were purely terrible this year..  butler and Gore while they’ve been goodnolayers are just too old at this point.

Fine post, but that list of players really unnecessarily  bothers me.

I'm sorry, but Green and Vujnovich? Really? No clue whether or not the team is interested in bringing back Gore. Moncrief might have been the biggest under performer of the season.

And how you gonna include Swoope in a list of guys who played their butts off this season when he never played? haha

Love the optimism though. I do think the Colts have the potential to be a lot better next year, but this offseason is critical. Need to make the right coaching hire, develop a better offensive and defensive scheme, and build a roster with the correct players that fit said schemes.

6 hours ago, hdcummins said:

Of the 53-man roster, there are 37 that I would keep, if anybody asked me.

The best teams with most well rounded rosters use to keep 37 players, not teams with new regimes and big question marks all over the roster. Be prepared for a much bigger turnover, because that's what will happen.

The only names on the your list who are free agents I would bring back are Vina and Gore. Vina deserves it, and he hasn't shown any sign of regression. Bring him back and prolongue the problem of finding a new kicker for another year. And Gore. Mack hasn't shown signs that he can be the bell cow for the Colts. At the moment, he looks more of a change of pace guy. So draft a new RB, but keep Gore as a safety blanket.

7 hours ago, hdcummins said:

In alpha order:

Colts.jpg

This list of who to keep makes me wonder if you had too much to drink before writing this or if you drank some bong water.....

you want to keep Moncrief, Butler, Green among a few others?! All of which have sucked this season especially Green and Moncrief. Moncrief has had what, 12 catches all year with almost most as many drops? Green has sucked since he was drafted. Big bust.

Mewhort is rumored to be retiring due to his knees. Swope has spent more time in the medical tent than in a colts uniform on game day. Both need to go.

Gore while I think he's got 1 year left in him, he needs to go to a contender and try to get that ring he's been trying to get for 14 years. 

Vinateri should be resigned for sure and most likely will.