• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Fair enough.  

I really think being a head coach overwhelmed Pagano on gameday every week.  

I never felt that way with Caldwell.  

Although I'll never forgive him for ruining the perfect season. 

Sorry, he didn't ruin a perfect season. That fell directly on Polian.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who would be a big surprise?    The name doesn't have to be well known or obscure...    but we do have to interview...    someone...

What I am saying is all this speculation is exactly that, speculation. In reality none of us know including the media who is going to be named head coach for the Colts. Chances are it is more than likely one of these guys mention that could be hired but we never really know. There is where the surprise may happen if it's not one of these guys.

4 hours ago, ricker182 said:

I'd be happy if the kept Pagano as a clubhouse guy.  That's about all he's good for.  

But seriously, I wonder if he would be OK with being a DB coach or something.  

I really don't think anyone else will ever hire him as a head coach again. 

I’m not so sure about this. I want him gone too, but I think he will get another shot somewhere if he wants it. I mean look at how many coaches are on the hot seat this year compared to the list of potential replacements. I’m not saying he will get a head coaching job this year, but I could see it in a year or two.

4 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Source?  Otherwise it’s jusy words from some guy on a forum.  If you’re going to post something as fact back it up. 

Those guys didn’t say anything about it from what I just saw. And if they did, it would mean literally nothing. They both said Manning was going to be hired in front office by 2017 draft. They are just reaching for straws hoping they get something right. Anyone can do that. Watch

According to my sources Jon Gruden will not be leaving the booth for the Colts HC Job. 

Just now, IndyD4U said:

The question is will Pagano make it until tomorrow or will he be fired immediately after the game? 

Footnote: love the guy and I wish him the best. He won't have a problem getting another coaching job of some sort 

My guess is Tuesday, win or loose.

I've actually kind of changed my opinion on Toub recently.

I liked the idea enough but have come to worry about some hypotheticals. If he brings in a great OC, he'll just get poached in a year or two. Then Luck has to learn yet another playbook, another system. It's why I'm such a proponent of bringing in an offensive mind. So even if we change OC's we can keep the same system. Take the 49ers, Rams, Eagles approach.

So what should Chuck's legacy be here in Indy as his career is coming to an end? Here are the Indianapolis Coaches we have had here in Indy since 1984:

Frank Kush

Rod Dowhower

Ron Meyer

Rick Venturi

Ted Marchibroda

Lindy Infante

Jim Mora

Tony Dungy

Jim Caldwell

Bruce Arians for 12 games/Chuck Pagano

-In order since 1984 these have been our Coaches, to give you guys something to do, rank them from worst to best.

11 hours ago, ricker182 said:

I'd be happy if the kept Pagano as a clubhouse guy.  That's about all he's good for.  

But seriously, I wonder if he would be OK with being a DB coach or something.  

I really don't think anyone else will ever hire him as a head coach again. 

:facepalm:

5 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

Those guys didn’t say anything about it from what I just saw. And if they did, it would mean literally nothing. They both said Manning was going to be hired in front office by 2017 draft. They are just reaching for straws hoping they get something right. Anyone can do that. Watch

According to my sources Jon Gruden will not be leaving the booth for the Colts HC Job. 

Your sources?

16 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I liked the idea enough but have come to worry about some hypotheticals. If he brings in a great OC, he'll just get poached in a year or two. Then Luck has to learn yet another playbook, another system. It's why I'm such a proponent of bringing in an offensive mind. So even if we change OC's we can keep the same system. Take the 49ers, Rams, Eagles approach.

Just hire a coach who knows what offensive system he wants to run, and what defensive system he wants to run, so when the OC or DC leaves for a HC job, you don't need to change systems, just the person who is running it. 

9 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

When has Brad Wells been right about anything?  JMV has better sources and has been right about most things and has an opposite point of view of Wells.  JMV is reporting that this is Ballard’s choice and so is Kravitz.

That's why I said it wasn't reputable and was a rumor. I'm well aware of JMV's take, I listen every day. No need to get up in arms about it.

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Ravens DC is retiring. Have to think Pagano would have interest in that job.

I have seen raven fans who would not oppose that idea. I am on the side that wants Pags gone, but i can admit some guys make better Coordinators than HC's... I wish him well, but i thought he said previously after this job he is done....

30 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Just hire a coach who knows what offensive system he wants to run, and what defensive system he wants to run, so when the OC or DC leaves for a HC job, you don't need to change systems, just the person who is running it. 

Makes sense in theory but I just think Toub's a unique case. I think he's going to heavily rely on his coordinators, moreso than any other coach in the league, and that just seems a little risky to me.

I'd support Toub though, he's got some pros.

9 minutes ago, life long said:

I have seen raven fans who would not oppose that idea. I am on the side that wants Pags gone, but i can admit some guys make better Coordinators than HC's... I wish him well, but i thought he said previously after this job he is done....

That's a good point, I think he did say he would retire. But we all know money talks... 

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

You can still keep the same system....see the patriots.

*i see this has already been pointed out above.

7 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I’m sure Pagano could get a job as a DB coach or maybe even DC without much trouble, but it would probably do him well to take a year off. This job was wearing him out, that much is clear. 

Agree he has been abused here the last 3 years and 2 of the years without his star QB, and 5  with Grigons excellent  insight and pics!:groan:

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

You can still keep the same system....see the patriots.

Yup. I guess I'm just skeptical of Toub's potential system considering he's never really coached an offense or defense. Most ST's guys that went on to be HC's at least coached as a DC/OC before. I think he'd be much more reliant on coordinators, both offensively and defensively, than most other coaches around the league.

I get the pros for Toub and I'd support him. Great leader, has taught both sides of the trenches, and I imagine has the same "build the trenches on both sides of the ball" mentality that Ballard has. Just skeptical about how reliant he might be on coordinators.

35 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Makes sense in theory but I just think Toub's a unique case. I think he's going to heavily rely on his coordinators, moreso than any other coach in the league, and that just seems a little risky to me.

im not sure why you think Toub would rely on coordinators more than anyone else.  Head coaches don't get much hands on coaching in anyway.

10 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

That actual Tweet is being reported at him being officially gone per Scheft (per Scheft is what every sportswriter ends with to legitimize whatever is in question) but that's not what that Tweet says. And that's got to be the most vague Scheft Tweet I've ever seen. I mean I expect the Browns to lose Sunday but it's not official. 

McDaniels is to Bill what Lane Kiffin is to Nick Sabin, a glorified waterboy who belongs at a place like Florida Atlantic (where he landed after being canned if you haven't kept up) if he wants to do anything but carry the HCs poop bag. I will cry for you guys if he gets it. But anyway I hope ya'll get a good coach. The Colts have to be good. It just sucks when they're not, and Luck deserves better.

Finally a good to the point post about McDaniels.

I'd hope to get a coach like Tom Cable than a whiny ankle biter like McDaniels.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Really? That's like the one thing that's been said for Toub all along, that it's very key who he gets as coordinators. 

I think it's key for any HC to get top coordinators.  Even the offensive minded head coaches that call plays have the OC come up the the game plan.

i have no opinion on Toub, but I think people make a too big of deal about what side of the ball a potential HC should come from. It's more about leadership, building culture and hiring a good staff imo.

38 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

What are Toub’s pros?  I’m not being argumentative, I really don’t understand why he’s valued.  He’s been a ST coach his entire pro career, right?  I know he’s interviewed for several HC jobs over the years, and I understand he’s a smart guy.  

But what has he done to make him so ‘special’?   Again, I’m not putting him down, I just don’t get why we want him.  To paraphrase Ballard, what does he bring to the table that makes him needed?

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What are Toub’s pros?  I’m not being argumentative, I really don’t understand why he’s valued.  He’s been a ST coach his entire pro career, right?  I know he’s interviewed for several HC jobs over the years, and I understand he’s a smart guy.  

But what has he done to make him so ‘special’?   Again, I’m not putting him down, I just don’t get why we want him.  To paraphrase Ballard, what does he bring to the table that makes him needed?

I'm not super high on Toub but I do like some stuff about him.

First and foremost he's taught both sides of the line. And Ballard loves to talk about building both sides of the trenches. He also just seems like a very solid leader, and I don't mean in the Pagano "players love him" way, but by the evidence of having such consistently solid ST's groups for a decade.

He's not a homerun hire by any means, but then again I don't think we're going to get one.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So what should Chuck's legacy be here in Indy as his career is coming to an end? Here are the Indianapolis Coaches we have had here in Indy since 1984:

Frank Kush

Rod Dowhower

Ron Meyer

Rick Venturi

Ted Marchibroda

Lindy Infante

Jim Mora

Tony Dungy

Jim Caldwell

Bruce Arians for 12 games/Chuck Pagano

-In order since 1984 these have been our Coaches, to give you guys something to do, rank them from worst to best.

Dowhower:  A dim bulb

Kush: Too braunish

Infante:  A good OC, that was his ceiling

Caldwell:  Not sure what he contributed.  Maybe that's the problem.

Venturi:  A good DC, that was his ceiling.

Pagano: Simply overmatched by opposing HCs

Mora: Good HC, I'd like him again.

Meyer:  The HC that put Indy on the football map.  A pretty smart guy.

Arians:  The right guy at the right time

Marchibroda: A great HC that I'd like to have again

Dungy:  Probably overrated, but still the best HC the Colts have had.