Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Black Monday coaching tracker

Superman

There's been some news lately about teams keeping their coaches for 2018. I'm going to post those here, and then as changes happen, we can keep track of everything in this thread.

Giants fired McAdoo weeks ago https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/04/ben-mcadoo-fired-new-york-giants-head-coach

Raiders fire Jack Del Rio http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21928301/oakland-raiders-fire-coach-jack-del-rio

Colts fire Chuck Pagano http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21926947/indianapolis-colts-fire-chuck-pagano-six-seasons

Buccaneers keeping Koetter, per source; I guess this isn't official from the team, but it's being reported as fact http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21912093/tampa-bay-buccaneers-bringing-coach-dirk-koetter-back-2018-season

Jets keeping Bowles and Maccagnan, extended contracts for both http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21910903/new-york-jets-extend-contracts-coach-todd-bowles-gm-mike-maccagnan

Washington expected to keep Gruden, per Ian Rapaport http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000899906/article/washington-redskins-expected-to-retain-jay-gruden

Browns keeping Hue Jackson, despite 0-16 http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900572/article/cleveland-browns-finish-2017-season-016

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's one more:

Thats too bad. He had 3 out of 4 winning seasons, 36-28 record. Coaches without strong personalities seem to get fired more easily. 

Jack Del Rio also should not have gotten fired despite the poor record this year. Change is not always better. 

46 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thats too bad. He had 3 out of 4 winning seasons, 36-28 record. Coaches without strong personalities seem to get fired more easily. 

Jack Del Rio also should not have gotten fired despite the poor record this year. Change is not always better. 

He kinda dug his own grave by firing his OC and then watching the offense sputter all season.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

He kinda dug his own grave by firing his OC and then watching the offense sputter all season.

That's true. But I don't believe that is why the Raiders fired Del Rio. I believe it has to do with the move to Las Vegas. Firing Del Rio is a business decision, not a football one. Gruden is well known and attracts casual fans.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That's true. But I don't believe that is why the Raiders fired Del Rio. I believe it has to do with the move to Las Vegas. Firing Del Rio is a business decision, not a football one. Gruden is well known and attracts casual fans.

Playing in Vegas is going to be hard row. Always going to be a lot of visiting fans filling the seats.

Just now, NFLfan said:

That's true. But I don't believe that is why he was let go by the Raiders. I believe it has to do with the move to Las Vegas. Firing Del Rio is a business decision, not a football one. Gruden is well known and attracts casual fans.

They want Gruden is why he was fired and look like they are convinced they will get him. Also when you have a QB like Derek Carr who many were saying is better than a healthy Andrew Luck and you cant go .500 that isn't good either. If Gruden decides to say no, this will back fire on the Raiders though. I doubt they have a Plan B. So far Del Rio, Caldwell, Fox, and Chuck are history, I am sure many more will be history too.

7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Thoughts on Del Rio as DC here?

I like it but I think he runs a 4-3.  As longs as the players we have could adapt to it well, it would work.  I'd hate to have to replace most of our D to run that scheme, though.

Not sure if he'd come due to history, but Caldwell at OC wouldn't be bad either.

SO GLAD we are not on the coaching carousel this year. 

You can't be sure about a coach just one year in, but I love Anthony Lynn.  He holds guys accountable, even publicly, but not in an abrasive manner.  He didn't panic or let his men panic at 0-4.  The men love him.  Can't wait for next year.

Good luck to those of you who have teams hunting for a good one!

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, mahagga73 said:

Hue Jackson keeps his job at 1-31. Caldwell loses his at 36-28.  

Break down the 1-31 because under Jackson the Browns went from 1-15 to 0-16. Caldwell's firing is as stupid as keeping Jackson. Aren't the Packers in the same division as the Lions? Caldwell should get a job immediately.( Colts are hiring)

On 1/1/2018 at 4:50 AM, stitches said:

Why in hell would the Bucs not fire their coach. This one is weird to me. 

Because he seems to have a good relationship with his QB.    Koetter and Winston are said to be tight.    That's why the Bucs fired Lovie Smith and promoted Koetter.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because he seems to have a good relationship with his QB.    Koetter and Winston are said to be tight.    That's why the Bucs fired Lovie Smith and promoted Koetter.

This feels like the reason we kept Chuck for that long. Not specifically the QB but his relationship with the players. Being well-liked doesn't mean he's a good coach though. It also assumes the new coach wouldn't have good relationship with Winston, too. IMO it's a mistake. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

This feels like the reason we kept Chuck for that long. Not specifically the QB but his relationship with the players. Being well-liked doesn't mean he's a good coach though. It also assumes the new coach wouldn't have good relationship with Winston, too. IMO it's a mistake. 

Well...

I think Koetter's first year went well.      The second year did not.     So, they'll give him a third year and this may tilt things one way or the other.      I don't see a need to have Winston on his 3rd HC in less than 5 years...

One more year won't hurt anyone, and maybe Koetter turns out to be the right guy afterall....      or not.

On 1/1/2018 at 6:39 PM, Girlzarefanstoo said:

SO GLAD we are not on the coaching carousel this year. 

You can't be sure about a coach just one year in, but I love Anthony Lynn.  He holds guys accountable, even publicly, but not in an abrasive manner.  He didn't panic or let his men panic at 0-4.  The men love him.  Can't wait for next year.

Good luck to those of you who have teams hunting for a good one!

I read that Seattle is looking to bring back Gus Bradley, the Chargers' D-Coor. That would be a huge loss for you guys. I hope you can retain him. I think you all have a good thing going there. You need continuity now.

Any idea why Bradley signed only a one-year contract when he followed Lynn to the Chargers?

On 1/8/2018 at 4:43 PM, NFLfan said:

I read that Seattle is looking to bring back Gus Bradley, the Chargers' D-Coor. That would be a huge loss for you guys. I hope you can retain him. I think you all have a good thing going there. You need continuity now.

Any idea why Bradley signed only a one-year contract when he followed Lynn to the Chargers?

No idea on that, but we are keeping him and Coach Whisenhunt as OC.  I completely agree on continuity, that's the part that kills you when you start to make progress and are in the playoffs each year.  Your coaching staff gets cannabalized year-after-year and you're expected to get the same results.  

I believe he signed a 3 year contract extension.  I hope he doesn't want to make the leap to head coach and hangs around.  The guys love him and he shifted this D from a hybrid 3-4 to a 4-3 in a single year with all the other changes and the D just got better and better as the year went on.