Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do with the third pick?

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Been listening a lot to Venturi this season.  In his words, the Colts need players that "can change the game" which means scoring points or creating turnovers.  A guard really can't help you do either of those. 

In your scenario, a team should take the corner every time.   

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

While i agree that you shouldn't focus purely on certain positions surely it's about impact on games and results not just being a better player though.

In simple terms the scouts might say that a center is rated at 85% but a CB is rated at 84%.

You're saying they should take the center but my thoughts are that you should take the CB because having a premier player at that position has more impact on results and performance than having a pro bowl center. The difference in impact between average players and top players at those positions won't be the same either.

Yes this is how I see team building. If I already have a decent team built roster management is soooo much different. This team is basically being rebuilt from the ground up. We have the most important piece to the puzzle...but if you want impact on a game yes...stopping the opponents most dangerous players and having guys that attack the other teams qb and defend against their playmakers is important to me. I look at it like say a player is a 4 Star talent at a 5 Star position...that is 20pts. If you have another 4 Star player but they play a 4 Star position then I’m taking the more important position player. However you total up the points I’m not talking need so much as I’m talking premium positions will bump up a guy on the draft board. Some value guard very highly for us. To me it’s a 3rd tier position along with TE, S, C.

I've been pulling for us to trade down and get multiple picks hoping we concentrate on OL and MLB  early but this kid Barkley is special, I'm watching the game right now and he just broke a long run.  230 lbs and run a 4.3.  My buddy is a coach for Penn State and we speak often, he is so high on this kid.  He always say he is a better person than athlete.  If it was my choice I might have take a shot on this kid depending what we get offered for the 3rd pick.

21 minutes ago, cgi4life said:

I've been pulling for us to trade down and get multiple picks hoping we concentrate on OL and MLB  early but this kid Barkley is special, I'm watching the game right now and he just broke a long run.  230 lbs and run a 4.3.  My buddy is a coach for Penn State and we speak often, he is so high on this kid.  He always say he is a better person than athlete.  If it was my choice I might have take a shot on this kid depending what we get offered for the 3rd pick.

He does remind me of AP when he was in his prime. 

If he's there, I really don't see how Ballard passes on Barkley. The guy is elite and special. Ballard took Hooker because he was that type of talent that somehow fell to the 15th pick. I think he'll view Barkley the same. And it makes sense when you think about it. Almost every analyst has him as the best player in the draft. But the Giants and Browns need a QB and will both probably take one. So we'd basically be getting the #1 ranked player at number 3 which is a steal. Only way he trades down is for a blockbuster deal. Like an extra first next year and extra 2nd and 3rd's this year.

46 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If he's there, I really don't see how Ballard passes on Barkley. The guy is elite and special. Ballard took Hooker because he was that type of talent that somehow fell to the 15th pick. I think he'll view Barkley the same. And it makes sense when you think about it. Almost every analyst has him as the best player in the draft. But the Giants and Browns need a QB and will both probably take one. So we'd basically be getting the #1 ranked player at number 3 which is a steal. Only way he trades down is for a blockbuster deal. Like an extra first next year and extra 2nd and 3rd's this year.

I would add that Minkah Fitzpatrick also is starting to be regarded as possibly the best overall prospect in the draft. If he can play CB to the level of Jalen Ramsey, he'd def be worth considering. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I would add that Minkah Fitzpatrick also is starting to be regarded as possibly the best overall prospect in the draft. If he can play CB to the level of Jalen Ramsey, he'd def be worth considering. 

I’ve heard that the 3 safest picks in the draft are Barkley, Fitzpatrick, and Nelson.

11 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

After watching Barkley in the bowl game I think the browns will take him #1.   Someone will trade us for a qb at 3. 

Hilarious if the Browns take Barkley number 1.  Dorsey doesn't seem to be insane, so I don't expect that to happen.

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Fitzpatrick started out at CB at Bama right? Then transitioned to safety. So why all the sudden would he be an elite CB :scratch:

44 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Hilarious if the Browns take Barkley number 1.  Dorsey doesn't seem to be insane, so I don't expect that to happen.

Good point.   I was basing this on them passing (no pun intended) on wentz and Watson but that wasn’t Dorsey.  Maybe it was also just an aversion to qbs with w names.  

3 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Fitzpatrick started out at CB at Bama right? Then transitioned to safety. So why all the sudden would he be an elite CB :scratch:

The same way Ramsey was?

Fitzpatrick and Barkley are my two choices at three, both gamechangers. 

7 hours ago, wig said:

The same way Ramsey was?

Fitzpatrick and Barkley are my two choices at three, both gamechangers. 

Ramsey was stuck behind a couple of really good corners. He played safety because he was too good not to have on the field. When he got a shot he excelled. Fitzpatrick would be playing CB if that was his best position. Saban isn't an *. 

On 12/30/2017 at 5:33 PM, cgi4life said:

IF the Giants stay at number two and are keeping Eli they might very well take Barkley at number two or if the Browns go you know what Rosen doesn’t want to play here we can take Barkley number one and still get a QB at number four the Colts might not get a chance to draft him.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

IF the Giants stay at number two and are keeping Eli they might very well take Barkley at number two or if the Browns go you know what Rosen doesn’t want to play here we can take Barkley number one and still get a QB at number four the Colts might not get a chance to draft him.

If either the Giants or Browns decide to draft anyone other than a QB, the value of the Colts pick skyrockets. We would then have line of sight to one of the top 2 QB's on the board and someone would almost surely throw together a king's ransom at #3 to trade up.

Both Cleveland and NY know that. They would be dumb to pass on their guy at #1-2.

Coach: Frank Reich, Kris Richard, or Todd Haley...

Free Agency

1. Norwell G

2. Pugh G

3. Trumane Johnson CB

4. Martavius Bryant WR

5. ?

Draft:

*(Prefer to trade out of #3 Pick with someone in top 4-10 picks) For: RD1 2017, RD2 2017 and RD1 2018

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick CB, Mike McGlinchey OT or Harold Landry EDGE

2a. Maurice Hurst DT, Rashaan Evans ILB, or Conner Willams OT

2b. Tyquan Lewis Edge, Tavaras McFadden CB, or Martinas Rankin OT

3. Damien Harris RB, TJ Edwards ILB or Taven Bryan DT

4. BPA...

17 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Ramsey was stuck behind a couple of really good corners. He played safety because he was too good not to have on the field. When he got a shot he excelled. Fitzpatrick would be playing CB if that was his best position. Saban isn't an *. 

What are you talking about?  He started as a true freshman at corner. He was never stuck behind anyone. 

10 hours ago, wig said:

What are you talking about?  He started as a true freshman at corner. He was never stuck behind anyone. 

He may have played CB as a freshman but he was a safety. He played FSUs star position.