Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Connecting the dots....

Indeee

The trendy topic moving forward is trying to guess who the next HC of the Colts might be, however I thought it would be fun to go a few steps further and.... 

1) Pick the next HC

2) Pick their potential staff that might follow them here. ( OC and DC only ) by following the coaching tree

Some of you may get more involved and detailed however I'm just interested in seeing HC, DC and OC.

Let's see how it might turn out

Go...

Here's a sort of dream team (for me at least) that also seems like it could be somewhat realistic:

HC- Matt Nagy 

OC- one of the Chiefs offensive assistants, either their QB coach or one of their offensive quality control guys (I'm not gonna be picky here, we'll be running Nagy's offense, so whoever he likes the most) 

DC- Vic Fangio (assuming the Bears clean house and he's available) 

Maybe this belongs in the dark horse thread, but I'll go off the standard board and say:

Mike Smith HC (66-46 in Atlanta)

Mike Bajakian OC (current Tampa Bay QB coach with about 10 years of OC experience in D1 colleges - comes with Smith from Tampa)

Mike Nolan DC (was Smith's DC in Atlanta for a couple years, obviously HC experience too, now LB coach in New Orleans). 

So the Bill Walsh tree, Brian Billick branch.  Mike Smith's story in Atlanta, to me, reads like Tony Dungy's in Tampa.  A lot of similarities, and I think the kind of HC experience Irsay is going to demand this time - I don't think Ballard will be allowed to pick just anyone, especially anyone without HC experience.  I think Irsay tried that, and given this roster, and Luck turning 29 before the start of next year, we'll see a veteran coach.  I think Irsay feels  a sense of urgency. 

You might see them bring in someone from KC who is a young HC and someone like Arians if let go to be the OC who has lots of experience and a good history in Indy.

i want to be clear Arians wouldn’t be my first choice for OC I could just see the Colts doing it if he is interested and available.

So far, if a KC coach is in the mix and guessing we stick with andy reid coaching tree, then of all available potential Oc's and DC's available would be Brad Childress, Leslie Frasier, Pat Shumer. I'm guessing Bowles and Spags stay put put. If Bowles gets fired, which I doubt, maybe as a DC.

I'm not liking Childress, Frasier or Shumer personally

Head Coach- Shurmer

OC- Tony Sparano

DC-Todd bowles/Jerry Gray in that order

I think our talent is similar to the vikes and would fit shurmer's scheme. TY is an undersized wr like diggs. Doyle is a lot like rudolph in size, speed, and catch radius. Mack is very similar to mckinnon. He also has lasted and succeeded with zimmer on that staff. If you can succeed and gain the respect of that man, then I have full confidence in Shurmer to put in all effort and have a detail oriented mindset when it comes to preparation. I respect Zimmers coaching knowledge and grinder mentality as much as any coach in the league. I would assume he expects the same from his staff.

Sparano is the oline coach for minnesota and has had head coach experience. While we will be using Shurmer's offense, Sparano hopefully can do for our line what he did for the vikes this year. There are no big names on that line but he has them playing at a high level and meshes with Shurmurs ability to call plays that move the pocket or roll outs for the qb to extend plays.

Not sure if Bowles will be fired but there is no denying he can coach the defense a little bit. I respect him and I think the mentality on our defense would mesh well with his. If not, Gray has worked with shurmer in MN and is another Zimmer guy. Zimmer is known to be a DB guru and if Gray can bring some of the lessons he learned from Zimm and his several years of coaching experience, then i believe we can finally achieve a top 10-15 D pretty quickly. 

Alll in all... sorry for stealing your coaching staff vikes!

5 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Maybe this belongs in the dark horse thread, but I'll go off the standard board and say:

Mike Smith HC (66-46 in Atlanta)

Mike Bajakian OC (current Tampa Bay QB coach with about 10 years of OC experience in D1 colleges - comes with Smith from Tampa)

Mike Nolan DC (was Smith's DC in Atlanta for a couple years, obviously HC experience too, now LB coach in New Orleans). 

So the Bill Walsh tree, Brian Billick branch.  Mike Smith's story in Atlanta, to me, reads like Tony Dungy's in Tampa.  A lot of similarities, and I think the kind of HC experience Irsay is going to demand this time - I don't think Ballard will be allowed to pick just anyone, especially anyone without HC experience.  I think Irsay tried that, and given this roster, and Luck turning 29 before the start of next year, we'll see a veteran coach.  I think Irsay feels  a sense of urgency. 

Barf

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

If it's mcDaniels, then Cronell, Weis, O'Brien(if fired) and Shwartz, although hes with eagles and likely wont leave unless its HC postion. If Bowles got fired them him too

Mike McCoy was the OC for McDaniels in Denver....and he is currently available.

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You might see them bring in someone from KC who is a young HC and someone like Arians if let go to be the OC who has lots of experience and a good history in Indy.

i want to be clear Arians wouldn’t be my first choice for OC I could just see the Colts doing it if he is interested and available.

I like Arians but his down field passing system is a danger to QBs 

I'm not sure why, but something just feels "dirty" to me when it comes to hiring NE coaches.  Like we'd have to hose down LOS afterward.

I've convinced myself they have had so much Belichek "punch" that they would secretly be double-agents passing secrets to the northeast. haha

13 hours ago, Davvon2590 said:

Head Coach- Shurmer

OC- Tony Sparano

DC-Todd bowles/Jerry Gray in that order

I think our talent is similar to the vikes and would fit shurmer's scheme. TY is an undersized wr like diggs. Doyle is a lot like rudolph in size, speed, and catch radius. Mack is very similar to mckinnon. He also has lasted and succeeded with zimmer on that staff. If you can succeed and gain the respect of that man, then I have full confidence in Shurmer to put in all effort and have a detail oriented mindset when it comes to preparation. I respect Zimmers coaching knowledge and grinder mentality as much as any coach in the league. I would assume he expects the same from his staff.

Sparano is the oline coach for minnesota and has had head coach experience. While we will be using Shurmer's offense, Sparano hopefully can do for our line what he did for the vikes this year. There are no big names on that line but he has them playing at a high level and meshes with Shurmurs ability to call plays that move the pocket or roll outs for the qb to extend plays.

Not sure if Bowles will be fired but there is no denying he can coach the defense a little bit. I respect him and I think the mentality on our defense would mesh well with his. If not, Gray has worked with shurmer in MN and is another Zimmer guy. Zimmer is known to be a DB guru and if Gray can bring some of the lessons he learned from Zimm and his several years of coaching experience, then i believe we can finally achieve a top 10-15 D pretty quickly. 

Alll in all... sorry for stealing your coaching staff vikes!

That would be awful... for my team. Lol.