Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Name your Dark Horse HC for Colts in 2018

BlueShoe

Belichick.

Steve Belichick that is.  The son of the master.  The true heir apparent of one of the greatest coaches in football history.

He's been on the Patriots coaching staff for 2 of their trophies, he's learning bigtime at the feet of his dad.  It's a dark horse pick and he may not be ready but if anyone on this blue rock in space has the football pedigree to come out of nowhere and get things done, it might just be this guy.

I don't actually think this is plausible, but aqs a dark horse pick it's no crazier than most.  This kid has pretty much grown up living, breathing and thinking football, and if there's one criticism of him right now as a head coach it's that he's probably a few years too green, but man that pedigree!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/23/2017 at 2:39 AM, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Was watching I think The Herd this morning and he was talking about Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick being at odds and he wouldnt be surprised is Bill leaves after this season and they promote McDaniels in NE... real dark house candidate would be Belichick.

Please don't pay any attention to the New England sports media.  There is no friction between Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick, no more than there always is between an opinionated professional and his equally opinionated boss.

Boston sports writers don't like Belichick because of his world famous media approach so they occasionally invent a whole bunch of malicious crap about him at the slightest pretext.  It's all noise, ignore it.  Bill Belichick goes nowhere.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, BlueShoe said:

Okay guys and gals, it’s time to see who can really dig deep here and find coaches who deserve a head coaching opportunity. 

We each get 2 dark horse choices. 

I will start us off.

My number 1 dark horse candidate is George Edwards. I am a huge fan of his work. He brings the defense! I like his demeanor, and even though he has a mistake on his record, I believe he is a high character guy. 

My number 2 is an even bigger surprise; our very own Chuck Pagano. That cats got more than 9 lives. I am not counting him out until the upper brass make it official. 

This could be fun. Don’t pick someone the mainstream media is already talking about. 

Who is your dark horse candidate to become the next head coach for the Indianapolis Colts?

Chuck Pagano..

Team never quit...played MUCH better than the talent on the roster...Pagano has earned the right to stay.

Any conscious fan knows. No one wins with the roster we had this year

..the super dark horse is Robert Mathis........in house already...in training already

A man who would get instant respect from Colts fans

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Chuck Pagano..

Team never quit...played MUCH better than the talent on the roster...Pagano has earned the right to stay.

..the super dark horse is Robert Mathis........in house already...in training already

olduncledementia

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Chuck Pagano..

Oh boy mark.....:facepalm::wall:

Chuck Pagano..

A man who would get instant respect from Colts.

Just now, JColts72 said:

Chuck Pagano..

A man who would get instant respect from Colts.

THE HORROR..THE HORROR!!!

Chuck Pagano..

Too much egg nog????

17 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Chuck Pagano..

Thanks for posting oldunclemark Pagano!

On 12/24/2017 at 7:44 PM, George Peterson said:

Belichick.

Steve Belichick that is.  The son of the master.  The true heir apparent of one of the greatest coaches in football history.

He's been on the Patriots coaching staff for 2 of their trophies, he's learning bigtime at the feet of his dad.  It's a dark horse pick and he may not be ready but if anyone on this blue rock in space has the football pedigree to come out of nowhere and get things done, it might just be this guy.

I don't actually think this is plausible, but aqs a dark horse pick it's no crazier than most.  This kid has pretty much grown up living, breathing and thinking football, and if there's one criticism of him right now as a head coach it's that he's probably a few years too green, but man that pedigree!

I’ll feed that flame fully tongue in cheek.   B.B. will want his son to succeed so he traded with the colts to take away dead weight wr and TE and gave a solid qb that not only will be a serviceable backup but also is scouting the roster for his son to let him know who quits and who plays through adversity.  Or more likely he is doing it for himself.   That’s why he traded Garoppolo away from the pats so he wouldn’t have to face him as the colts hc. ;)

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Matt LaFleur

He's the OC of the Rams currently 

He's done wonders Goff and also helped Matty Ice in his MVP season. 

Let's get him 

I don't mean to rain on your parade.....

But....

Matt LeFluer is not who you think he is....

His resume' shows you what you need to know.    That in his few years either in the NFL or in College, he's mostly been a QB coach.      This year,  2017,  is his first as an offensive coordinator at such a high level.     And the problem is he's an OC behind Sean McVay...     who got his reputation as a successful OC in Washington.

In other words,  McVay is his own OC,  he's calling the plays.   LeFluer is the OC in name only.    Being an OC for one year in the NFL is not a resume that gets one hired as a head coach.    He needs about five more years as OC,  and some of those years he needs to be a more involved OC.  

Here's the other way you know about LeFluer....    when Kyle Shannahan left Atlanta for SF this off-season,  who did Atlanta promote to be their new HC?     Not LeFluer, who was their QB coach.    It was Sarkisian from Alabama.    Atlanta knew LeFluer and went looking elsewhere...       that's another indication of what LeFluer is,  and isn't.

I appreciate that Pagano was only a DC for one year.    The difference is, he had a long history in the NFL,  PLUS, his year as the DC,  he was the DC,  and not just in name only.     The HC was/is John Harbaugh,  so he lets his coordinators run things.     Pags was in charge of his defense.    He ran the show in Baltimore.

That's not the case of LeFluer in Los Angeles....

Perhaps in a few years for him.....    but not now....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_LaFleur

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Matt LaFleur

He's the OC of the Rams currently 

He's done wonders Goff and also helped Matty Ice in his MVP season. 

Let's get him 

I will be surprised if LaFleur gets many, if any, interviews after this season. I’m not sure he is as well connected as others like Sean McVay, doesn’t have a resume that stands out compared to others, and isn’t given much credit for the Rams turnaround this season. He needs at least one of those three things if he is going to quickly go from OC to HC.

The NFL’s Career Development Advisory Panel recently released a list of 12 assistants they recommend teams with head coach openings consider. LaFleur wasn’t on the list. It doesn’t mean a team can’t/won’t consider him but I think it gives an indication of likely candidates.

If you are trying to think of someone younger who works on offense there is someone on that list. I think he is a bit more realistic. That is John DeFilippo.

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

I will be surprised if LaFleur gets many, if any, interviews after this season. I’m not sure he is as well connected as others like Sean McVay, doesn’t have a resume that stands out compared to others, and isn’t given much credit for the Rams turnaround this season. He needs at least one of those three things if he is going to quickly go from OC to HC.

The NFL’s Career Development Advisory Panel recently released a list of 12 assistants they recommend teams with head coach openings consider. LaFleur wasn’t on the list. It doesn’t mean a team can’t/won’t consider him but I think it gives an indication of likely candidates.

If you are trying to think of someone younger who works on offense there is someone on that list. I think he is a bit more realistic. That is John DeFilippo.

Where do you get the idea that McVay doesn't get much credit?

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No he is not. It seems he has put out a statement it was fake news that was reported him leaving.

I would be shocked if Arians isn't gone on Monday.  I know what he said but haven't you seen those denials from coaches a thousand times before they actually do exactly what was reported?  In this case there is far too much smoke for there not to be a fire somewhere.  

40 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I would be shocked if Arians isn't gone on Monday.  I know what he said but haven't you seen those denials from coaches a thousand times before they actually do exactly what was reported?  In this case there is far too much smoke for there not to be a fire somewhere.  

You may be right but any of this talk about Arians coming here IMO is pure nonsense.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Where do you get the idea that McVay doesn't get much credit?

I didn’t mean McVay doesn’t get credit. I meant that him (and Wade Phillips) are getting most of the credit for the success of the Rams and not LaFleur.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But....

His resume' shows you what you need to know.    That in his few years either in the NFL or in College, he's mostly been a QB coach.      This year,  2017,  is his first as an offensive coordinator at such a high level.     And the problem is he's an OC behind Sean McVay...     who got his reputation as a successful OC in Washington.

In other words,  McVay is his own OC,  he's calling the plays.   LeFluer is the OC in name only.    Being an OC for one year in the NFL is not a resume that gets one hired as a head coach.    He needs about five more years as OC,  and some of those years he needs to be a more involved OC.  

Here's the other way you know about LeFluer....    when Kyle Shannahan left Atlanta for SF this off-season,  who did Atlanta promote to be their new HC?     Not LeFluer, who was their QB coach.    It was Sarkisian from Alabama.    Atlanta knew LeFluer and went looking elsewhere...       that's another indication of what LeFluer is,  and isn't.

I appreciate that Pagano was only a DC for one year.    The difference is, he had a long history in the NFL,  PLUS, his year as the DC,  he was the DC,  and not just in name only.     The HC was/is John Harbaugh,  so he lets his coordinators run things.     Pags was in charge of his defense.    He ran the show in Baltimore.

That is why he is a dark horse HC candidate more than a solid candidate, for the reasons you stated. While he is not HC material right now, he soon will be. He is a great communicator and sees the field the same way Sean McVay does, these 3 articles would probably hint at the same and he is very good at developing QBs, rookie and experienced ones, having worked with RG3, Matt Ryan, and now Jared Goff during their highly productive years. But then, as an OC, I would hire him right away but it would be a parallel move. That is also the reason Sean McVay smartly promoted him to OC and not QB coach, knowing that even if he is the one calling plays, LeFleur being OC in a very good situation where his familiarity with the HC goes way back, and thus is less likely to leave for a parallel OC position.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/10/06/lafleur-an-overlooked-conduit-in-rams-surging-offense/106379628/

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Bolt/Making-the-case-for-the-Bears-to-hire-Matt-LaFleur-in-2018-111790587

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/10/23/16527676/falcons-were-unimpressed-with-matt-lafleurs-work-and-let-him-walk-before-hiring-steve-sarkisian

Those are the reasons why I want the experience of Josh McDaniels or Frank Reich.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But....

Seems awfully familiar with what we did with pagano so yeah, pass

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

That is why he is a dark horse HC candidate more than a solid candidate, for the reasons you stated. While he is not HC material right now, he soon will be. He is a great communicator and sees the field the same way Sean McVay does, these 3 articles would probably hint at the same and he is very good at developing QBs, rookie and experienced ones, having worked with RG3, Matt Ryan, and now Jared Goff during their highly productive years. But then, as an OC, I would hire him right away but it would be a parallel move. That is also the reason Sean McVay smartly promoted him to OC and not QB coach, knowing that even if he is the one calling plays, LeFleur being OC in a very good situation where his familiarity with the HC goes way back, and thus is less likely to leave for a parallel OC position.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/10/06/lafleur-an-overlooked-conduit-in-rams-surging-offense/106379628/

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Bolt/Making-the-case-for-the-Bears-to-hire-Matt-LaFleur-in-2018-111790587

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/10/23/16527676/falcons-were-unimpressed-with-matt-lafleurs-work-and-let-him-walk-before-hiring-steve-sarkisian

Those are the reasons why I want the experience of Josh McDaniels or Frank Reich.

I don't think LaFleur's resume makes him a dark horse candidate.   I think it makes him a No Horse Candidate.

I'm not saying LaFleur can't be a good HC someday...    but that someday is years away.   To me a dark horse candidate is qualified, just not well known.    LaFleur is not well know, but he's also not qualified..

That's a big difference...

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The two resumes...   Pagano and LaFleur, are not close.    Not even a little.    That's why I addressed it on my post...

I hear ya. I was referring to the fact they were each a 1 yr wonder this far at Coordinator