Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Name your Dark Horse HC for Colts in 2018

BlueShoe

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It won’t be popular but I will say Jim Caldwell.  It’s a long shot but it’s what makes it a dark horse.  Irsay really thought about keeping hm after 2011 and he’s proven he can win without Peyton.  It’s possiable Irsay gives him a second shot if the Lions fire him.

NO. We need fresh blood (or proven old blood like Gruden).

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Exactly!

I’m sorry people are ridiculing you...but two wrongs don’t make a right. I know the Pagano thing creates a lot of emotion on both sides. One side sees he has had key guys miss a ton of games and believe the roster wasn’t good enough to win with. The other is tired of losing...watching young guys not progressing, watching vets get playing time when young guys get left on the bench. Watching us not make adjustments, constantly get blown out by the good teams and just play inconsistent altogether. Heck running the most embarrassing play in NFL history fake punt against the Pats is enough for some. I think it a little much to not think people have adequate reason to want him gone. This team has had plenty of questionable game plans and in game calls to warrant a change. While I agree it sucks for Chuck to not be at full strength this year in such a critical year in his career but that doesn’t mean this team shouldn’t look at all ways to upgrade this team..on the field and on the sideline. No one is above replacement if we think we can upgrade.

I think Chuck is up there with Dungy as being Classy and having Character. He’s a truly Great Man.  And, yes- he has never been given good players.  But his teams rarely seem prepared to play an entire game. That goes on the coach. And his teams rarely manage the clock and or timeouts well.  That’s on the coach.  The Colts can, and expect, to do better...

My Dark Horse (a wish that won’t happen) is Bill Cowher.

4 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not my first choice or frankly my choice at all but I can see the scenario where Irsay does it.

One thing both of you seem to be overlooking is Ballard and how he figures into the decision. Will Irsay keep in the back ground and let Ballard do what he wants?  Either way anyone mentioned for the head coaching choice is just a guess. What anyone of us want in this forum does not come into the picture.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

One thing both of you seem to be overlooking is Ballard and how he figures into the decision. Will Irsay keep in the back ground and let Ballard do what he wants?  Either way anyone mentioned for the head coaching choice is just a guess. What anyone of us want in this forum does not come into the picture.

It’s dark horse guess not who I think the favorite is.  If I was going to do that I would factor Ballard more into it and frankly when i do that I come up with guys who I think is rage favorite which I don’t think is Caldwell.  I am just saying as a dark horse I can the scenario where Irsay would bring him back.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Other than Dungy you mean coaches like Belichick, Carroll, Gruden, Vermeil, Shanahan, Holmgren and Reeves?

Those are good examples as well that being said I still don't want Gruden or Shanahan either because those are old retreads.

6 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

No surprises so far every coach mentioned here are on the Stampede Blue list of possible HC candidates. I do feel Ballard will stay with who he knows and has worked with in KC in Nagy or Toub. 

I hope he is open to interviewing several candidates and keeps an open mind. It isn’t like KC has this excellent track record that we just have to have guys from that organization to succeed going forward.

8 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Take Gruden's  Super Bowl run his first year in Tampa with Dungy's team and his record is average at best. With the exception of his first year (12-4) his overall record in Tampa was 45-51. Big talker but rather pass on him.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s dark horse guess not who I think the favorite is.  If I was going to do that I would factor Ballard more into it and frankly when i do that I come up with guys who I think is rage favorite which I don’t think is Caldwell.  I am just saying as a dark horse I can the scenario where Irsay would bring him back.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

Those are good examples as well that being said I still don't want Gruden or Shanahan either because those are old retreads.

My point was what you call retread coaches are very successful when it comes to winning. Even if I don't like the idea of a guy like Gruden becoming our next head coach it's not out of the realm. As far as your comment about Gruden being on old retread is not exactly correct. Gruden is 54 years old and that is not old for a head coach ay all.

Off the top of my head I am not sure of the list of ex head coaches available it is a possibility.

1 hour ago, dudley dawson said:

I can’t. Irsay needs a coach to excite the fanbase and season ticket holders. Caldwell is the exact opposite of that.

Winning cures all ills. I'm not worried about the name, I'm concerned with the coaching. 

But yeah, hiring Caldwell shouldn't even be considered, IMO.

I agree the name means nothing. Good coach = good manager, good evaluator of coaching talent to pick outstanding O and D coordinators and good assistants with the help of the coordinators. Being all of the above is just as important if not more important than the ever having prior head coaching experience or being a coordinator in the NFL.

I think we should go the way of teams hiring young guys even if the person has had no head coaching experience at any level. It worked for the Steelers twice(Cowher and Tomlin) maybe 3 times I don't know if Chuck Noll had any kind of head coaching experience before getting the Steeler job or not. McVay is working wonders in LA this year with a team that had 10 consecutive losing seasons. Sean Payton in N.O. I don't think he had any head coaching experience at any level before getting the Saints job.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Winning cures all ills. I'm not worried about the name, I'm concerned with the coaching. 

But yeah, hiring Caldwell shouldn't even be considered, IMO.

Caldwell only looked because of Manning. Put Peyton on the Lions and the win the SB 

15 minutes ago, Rebelknight said:

You know how you know Pagano was a horrible coach? People actually want Caldwell back. It takes a special kind of coach to make Caldwell look good. Both coaches are horrible...

I keep hearing Josh McDaniels....but he was a horrible coach in Denver.. 

I wish I could give you 10 LIKES on this Post.

14 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I think we should go the way of teams hiring young guys even if the person has had no head coaching experience at any level. It worked for the Steelers twice(Cowher and Tomlin) maybe 3 times I don't know if Chuck Noll had any kind of head coaching experience before getting the Steeler job or not. McVay is working wonders in LA this year with a team that had 10 consecutive losing seasons. Sean Payton in N.O. I don't think he had any head coaching experience at any level before getting the Saints job.

It is an unpopular opinion around here, but I am with you! Many around here do not want a rookie HC. I want a proven young(ish) coordinator i.e. Mcvay and Kyle S.... Pags and Monachino were 1 year DCs in BAL before joining the Colts. Not exactly enough play calling experience to qualify as proven IMO. I would prefer a young hungry coordinator, over a previously fired HC. I also have no preference of an offensive or defensive HC, as long as we have a creative coordinator on the other side of the ball. For the past 20 years, IMO, Colt defenses appear rather bland and predictable. P.s. Stay with the 3-4, donot go back to the 4-3. Just get coaches who can coach it & players who can play it. Many teams seem to manage it. I am sure the Colts can too.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/28/nfl-black-monday-top-head-coaching-candidates-2018

1. Matt Patricia, defensive coordinator, New England Patriots (33.7%, 248 votes)
2. John DeFilippo, quarterbacks coach, Philadelphia Eagles (13.6%, 100 votes)
3. Dave Toub, special teams coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs (13.2%, 97 votes)
4. Mike Vrabel, defensive coordinator, Houston Texans (12.9%, 95 votes)
5. Matt Nagy, offensive coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs (7.9%, 58 votes)
6. George Edwards, defensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings (6.7%, 49 votes)
7. Teryl Austin, defensive coordinator, Detroit Lions (4.1%, 30 votes) ***I'll add Cooter here as well***
8. Steve Wilks, defensive coordinator, Carolina Panthers (3.0%, 22 votes)
8. Kris Richard, defensive coordinator, Seattle Seahawks (3.0%, 22 votes)
10. Harold Goodwin, offensive coordinator, Arizona Cardinals (2.0%, 15 votes)

I'd also add a few here but likely they stay where they are... Ala Gunther in Cincy. Payton in NO. Jim in Michigan. Phillips with LAR.... *As Coordinators or HC options*

1 hour ago, Restored said:

Just can't bring myself to get on board with Patricia. Does anyone have info on him? Is he even interested in coming out to be a head coach?

He interviewed with at least the Rams and Chargers last year. 

I'm not a great fan, personally.

53 minutes ago, Superman said:

He interviewed with at least the Rams and Chargers last year. 

I'm not a great fan, personally.

I'm not either. The BB tree does not produce many good coaches. Maybe he will be the one to find true success outside of the system but I'm very skeptical.

40 minutes ago, Restored said:

I'm not either. The BB tree does not produce many good coaches. Maybe he will be the one to find true success outside of the system but I'm very skeptical.

Agreed. I like McDaniels, but it took me a while to warm up to the idea. 

22 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I don't care how old he is as long as he can coach.  Sean McVay is doing great in his early 30's and Doug Pederson is doing great at almost 50.

Gruden was rumored to be gathering a coaching staff,not sure where I heard it but the thought was he was replacing the Bucs coach. Heard today the Bucs coach was informed he would be back. So does anyone think the colts new staff has already been a behind the scene work in progress?

I'm thinking about the following

HC: Pat Shurmur - currently Minn OC - Comes in as offensive playcaller. Made Case Keenum look like an All-Pro. Frank Reich hasn't been a play caller in Philly.

OC: John DeFillipo - currently Phi QB coach - Helped make Carson Wentz into a legit MVP candidate

DC: Kind of stuck. Jack Del Rio, Gregg Williams and Vic Fangio if they get let go, Don Brown from Michigan. Adam Zimmer could decide to step out from under his dad's shadow.

Thoughts?

17 hours ago, Mjr said:

Gruden was rumored to be gathering a coaching staff,not sure where I heard it but the thought was he was replacing the Bucs coach. Heard today the Bucs coach was informed he would be back. So does anyone think the colts new staff has already been a behind the scene work in progress?

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the news that TB wasn’t making a change.

4 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I'm thinking about the following

HC: Pat Shurmur - currently Minn OC - Comes in as offensive playcaller. Made Case Keenum look like an All-Pro. Frank Reich hasn't been a play caller in Philly.

OC: John DeFillipo - currently Phi QB coach - Helped make Carson Wentz into a legit MVP candidate

DC: Kind of stuck. Jack Del Rio, Gregg Williams and Vic Fangio if they get let go, Don Brown from Michigan. Adam Zimmer could decide to step out from under his dad's shadow.

Thoughts?

Fangio is the name that pops out on you dc list.  Wouldn't go anywhere near Del Rio