Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Name your Dark Horse HC for Colts in 2018

BlueShoe

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Jeff Fisher. 

:peek:

:hide:

:sarcasm:

He's my dark horse pick too, and I don't think as far fetched as others.  More to the point, I don't think a Toub or Nagy are any more likely because of a KC connection to Ballard, than there is the chance of a re-tread HC because that's what Irsay did the last time he stumbled upon a once in a lifetime talent at QB...  And people tend to fall back on what worked before in hopes of similar future results... 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

OK, let me preface this with the fact that I will go with whatever Ballard picks and so this is purely a "wild card" pick......Bill O'Brien. 

Per Rotoworld today, rumours circulating that the Texans are looking to clear house on coaching, including O'Brien.  The guy has excellent knowledge of the division, is experienced (which complements an inexperienced GM) and works well with quality quarterbacks (you could say his time in Houston has been a huge struggle based on QB struggles).

Its not a sexy pic but you could see the logic.

Bill Obrien..... hmmm hadnt given him any thoughts.  Gonna have to think on this one.  I mean, he's been competive with nobodies at QB and had Watson not gone down this year, I think the Texans when the south. 

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

You could be right, but you also might be wrong. 

I think Pagano will be fired. However, until it is a done deal, he remains a good dark horse candidate, and that’s why I chose him as my second dark horse candidate. 

This is one of the things that makes the world go around. Imo , there is literally chance he returns in 2018. I would like be willing to lay 10-1 in any bet that I could afford. 

So Imo , a guy that has no chance to be the coach next year is not a "good dark horse candidate." I would define a "good dark horse candidate" as a perspective coach that has a "way better chance od getting the job than people give credit to. " The fact that everyone expects him to be fired does not "automatically qualify him to be a "GOOD" dark horse candidate. 

I guess what I'm saying is "IMO opinion"  there is no chance that Pagano will be our head coach next year. Is it possible ,, sure . It's also possible Kate Upton could fall in love with me but it isn't going to happen

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I guess what I'm saying is "IMO opinion"  there is no chance that Pagano will be our head coach next year. Is it possible ,, sure . It's also possible Kate Upton could fall in love with me but it isn't going to happen

Your whole argument gone with one statement.  He would be a great darkhorse because "you" do not think there is a shot of him returning.  If he did then obviously thats a darkhorse candidate.

30 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Bill Obrien..... hmmm hadnt given him any thoughts.  Gonna have to think on this one.  I mean, he's been competive with nobodies at QB and had Watson not gone down this year, I think the Texans when the south. 

But his a better coach then he gets credit for cause of all those terrible QBs

Just now, #12. said:

Before we go dark horse, we should attempt to come up with a list of the 5-10 most likely candidates.  I have no idea who they are.

well, the most mentioned names are, in no order,

Peyton Manning

Jim Harbaugh

Gruden

Toub

McDaniels.

Just now, csmopar said:

well, the most mentioned names are, in no order,

Peyton Manning

Jim Harbaugh

Gruden

Toub

McDaniels.

That's the problem.  I would say only one is realistic - if Luck were magically cleared by next week, possibly two.  

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Your whole argument gone with one statement.  He would be a great darkhorse because "you" do not think there is a shot of him returning.  If he did then obviously thats a darkhorse candidate.

He is no doubt a dark horse candidate . I never said he wasn't .  Your "whole argument is gone" because you leave out the world "GOOD." By good , I'm saying that he's not a "good" candidate because he has no shot of retaining the job. 

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The defense hasn't improved that much and luck not playing is a bad excuse this team under pagano since 2013 has gotten worst every year we couldn't beat anyone good in 2014 despite an 11-5 mark then the next year we couldn't even dominate our garbage division the next season even with having luck out there for 15-16 game we couldn't finish better than 8-8. Now I ask you how does he deserve another year after have a horrible season. Also let me go on record if irsay keeps this * for another year I promise you he is by far the dumbest man on the face of the planet.

Our defense has improved. Just doesn’t show with the lack of offense we’ve had this season. Again I’m for whatever move the front office makes. 

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

This is one of the things that makes the world go around. Imo , there is literally chance he returns in 2018. I would like be willing to lay 10-1 in any bet that I could afford. 

So Imo , a guy that has no chance to be the coach next year is not a "good dark horse candidate." I would define a "good dark horse candidate" as a perspective coach that has a "way better chance od getting the job than people give credit to. " The fact that everyone expects him to be fired does not "automatically qualify him to be a "GOOD" dark horse candidate. 

Do you know what a dark horse even is? LOL

I’m not sure you’re getting the point of this thread. Sometimes I get the feeling you try to find things to argue about. Eventually you will have to accept that people have different opinions. 

Thanks for bringing absolutely nothing to the conversation. :thmup: :D

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

OK, let me preface this with the fact that I will go with whatever Ballard picks and so this is purely a "wild card" pick......Bill O'Brien. 

Per Rotoworld today, rumours circulating that the Texans are looking to clear house on coaching, including O'Brien.  The guy has excellent knowledge of the division, is experienced (which complements an inexperienced GM) and works well with quality quarterbacks (you could say his time in Houston has been a huge struggle based on QB struggles).

Its not a sexy pic but you could see the logic.

That’s an interesting thought to ponder. Well done!

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Before we go dark horse, we should attempt to come up with a list of the 5-10 most likely candidates.  I have no idea who they are.

People have been talking about front runners all year. This is a chance to think outside the box. When we hired Pagano, not many people guessed we would hire him. He was a dark horse. 

I'll throw out a name that hasnt been brought up yet. Chris Petersen, HC of the UW Huskies. He has a 129-28 over his career and has had success with multiple teams. His team this year had the #1 rush defense in the nation, and I think if they manage to shut down Barkley in the Fiesta Bowl he could be a name that starts popping up as a potential candidate for a few teams. Not sure if he will actually want to leave for the NFL, though. 

Hes not my first choice as our new HC, but there are plenty of worse options out there. I wouldnt be against it if we picked him up. 

11 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I'll throw out a name that hasnt been brought up yet. Chris Petersen, HC of the UW Huskies. He has a 129-28 over his career and has had success with multiple teams. His team this year had the #1 rush defense in the nation, and I think if they manage to shut down Barkley in the Fiesta Bowl he could be a name that starts popping up as a potential candidate for a few teams. Not sure if he will actually want to leave for the NFL, though. 

Hes not my first choice as our new HC, but there are plenty of worse options out there. I wouldnt be against it if we picked him up. 

I agree.  Right now there's an estimated 7-9 teams that may be looking at new head coaches next year.  Theres not that many decent prospects in the NFL, so I think there will be some heavy looks at some top college coaches, even some not named Harbarugh or Saban.

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Interesting choice.....

And I'll share some background on Peterson that I know because, over the years,  Stanford has made several inquiries about CP.

He has a son with a very serious health issue.    I don't know what it is,  but I believe that not every city has a health care system that is equipped to handle it.      So, as a result,  CP will only coach in certain cities.    

Having one of the top medical facilities in the world,  Stanford thought they'd have a decent chance at hiring him.   We haven't, but that's due to other issues.   

So, I know Indy has good medical facilities,  but I don't know if they have anything that specializes in whatever illness  his son has.     That's a key consideration for him.      I've never heard his name connected to the NFL as HC before.   Though I believe I read that some teams wanted him as their OC...    but that was a long time ago.   That ship has long sailed.    He's an HC all the way now....    And, for all I know, he may only be interested in coaching on the college level?      Dunno?

But he's an interesting candidate.....

2 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Touche, I’m seriously looking forward to him getting a gig in the NFL, what he has done especially with BSU was amazing. Best Tostitos fiesta bowl game ever BSU had with him at the helm in 2007 knocking off Oklahoma in overtime, best football game ever IMO.

5 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

No... Lions fans hate him... 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Stafford has played his best Football since he became OC, Lions fans must really be dumb.

That is true. We have a Lions fan who posts on the Daily Norseman. He wrote that he believes JB Cooter is overrated. But I agree with you 2006CBE. I like him. However, I think Shurmur would be a better coach for the Colts. He has head coaching experience and he has done an awesome job with our offense with less talented QBs than Stafford.

42 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Cooter? You guys wanna hire a guy who was arrested for aggravated Burglary? I’ll pass. I’m not going to be bothered with the “It was a mistake that he owned up to and he learned from it and has been clean since”. I’ve heard it too many times.

I don’t think the charges will stick. Rumor is They were just trumped up charges planted by Rosco P. Coltrane. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I don’t think the charges will stick. Rumor is They were just trumped up charges planted by Rosco P. Coltrane. 

He’s also young. I know people will say look at McVay but you know...exception to the rule =/= the rule. That’s why I feel like he could do something else down the line.

12 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I wouldn't be too upset with McDaniels.  But McDaniels already got a shot.

Patricia's been quietly sending out good defenses for the Pats year after year after year.  But no one talks about that because all the focus is on Tom Brady.  

New England has been top 10 in scoring defense every year that Patricia has been the coordinator except for his first year when they where 11.  Last year they where #1 in scoring defense.  

To be fair I look at Matt Patricia as more of a home run swing that could easily miss.  If we're just looking for a base hit, a decent head coach who can coach a talented QB with some talent around him then I'd say Pat Shurmur is our guy.  

That is a really good dark horse pick 

Well our next head coach has just stepped down from his post as CEO to take a HC gig with the Colts.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/12/21/papa-johns-founder-john-schnatter-out-as-ceo.html

you heard it here folks...Papa Johns is trading in pizza pies for coaching the pig skin. Peyton will be taking over as CEO (not the COO Steve Richie, as the article states). They are probably just working out some logistical kinks of Peyton’s salary, how many free pizzas he can eat per day, compensation benefits, commercial schedules, and he has to also select his team and draw up the new pizza pie playbook. Hahaha 

haha:lol:

17 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Very nice! Well done, Sir!

Chris Peterson is a very interesting candidate. I believe this is exactly the type of character and leader that Ballard and Irsay will be looking for.

He could be our pick.

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

I'd hire Todd Bowles as a DC in an instant. As a HC, the players play just as hard for Pagano as his players do for him. The Jets were supposed to tank based on who they named starter in pre-season etc. and then came the Josh McCown resurgence that led to wins. This league is about the QB for wins in the regular season, us Colts fans should know that darn well. :) 

They also started ridding themselves of many of their talented players.  People said the Jets was the worst team ever fielded in modern NFL history it was that bad.

They where clearly trying to tank the season and everyone just forgot about that when they started winning games.

Todd Bowles in 2015 got Ryan Fitzpatrick to play the best football of his career winning 10 games.  In 2017 he got Josh McCown to play the best football of his career.  He wins 5 games thus far with a team that had purged itself of a lot of talent wasn't predicted to win 1 game.

The Jets have consistently given him turds for teams and he's consistently polished those turds and made them competitive.  Yet he gets zip credit for it.  

Do you realize their #1 receiver is some 2nd year UDFA guy from Temple?  Their #2 receiver Kearse was traded right before the season started?  For the record Kearse was also a UDFA.  

Their offense has been a 38 year old career backup QB throwing to 2 UDFA receivers.  None of their RB's has even cleared 600 yards rushing yet.