Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Name your Dark Horse HC for Colts in 2018

BlueShoe

Okay guys and gals, it’s time to see who can really dig deep here and find coaches who deserve a head coaching opportunity. 

We each get 2 dark horse choices. 

I will start us off.

My number 1 dark horse candidate is George Edwards. I am a huge fan of his work. He brings the defense! I like his demeanor, and even though he has a mistake on his record, I believe he is a high character guy. 

My number 2 is an even bigger surprise; our very own Chuck Pagano. That cats got more than 9 lives. I am not counting him out until the upper brass make it official. 

This could be fun. Don’t pick someone the mainstream media is already talking about. 

Who is your dark horse candidate to become the next head coach for the Indianapolis Colts?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha what scares me is i tend to agree kind of with the OP about Pagano, its not official till its official, its hard to say what is going through Irsays mind.

I dont really pay attention to Mainstream media so i dont know who they are talking about. Ill throw out one name that i think will be highly controversial and one name that i really really want but not sure would ever happen.

1. Marvin Lewis

2. Jim Harbaugh

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Okay guys and gals, it’s time to see who can really dig deep here and find coaches who deserve a head coaching opportunity. 

We each get 2 dark horse choices. 

I will start us off.

My number 1 dark horse candidate is George Edwards. I am a huge fan of his work. He brings the defense! I like his demeanor, and even though he has a mistake on his record, I believe he is a high character guy. 

My number 2 is an even bigger surprise; our very own Chuck Pagano. That cats got more than 9 lives. I am not counting him out until the upper brass make it official. 

This could be fun. Don’t pick someone the mainstream media is already talking about. 

Who is your dark horse candidate to become the next head coach for the Indianapolis Colts?

Count him out . There is absolutely no way Pagano gets another year. 

I can only guess Pagano gets one more season. This is just based off of Andrew Luck not playing this season. Thats the one thing I think saves his job. The defense has improved tremendously. We just have to keep adding pieces. I like our style of defense as well. Either way I’m for whatever improvement the front office feels are necessary. Now what merits his firing is the decision to bring in Chud and Philbin. Their decision making are very questionable. 

7 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

We'll pick up one of the coaches on Tuesday after Black Monday.

That’s a heck of a prediction. If you’re correct then the Colts upper brass had their mind made up a long time ago. Also, that would mean our new coach will not come from a current NFL playoff team. 

6 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Jon Gruden. Dude loves Luck and I can see it. 

IF. Big IF; Gruden was ever to return to the NFL then I think this is the job he has been waiting for. If Gruden gets offered the Colts gig, and doesn’t take it, then I think he really means it when he says he is not interested in coaching anymore. 

Not sure how the dynamics would work with GM Ballard and HC Gruden. It could work, but I always pictured any possible return for Gruden; with him having a lot more power. 

33 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Dark horse #1. Pat Shurmur

#2 Frank Reich

And I hope we do not even entertain Jeff Fisher....

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

Minnessotta's OC Pat Shurmur. What he's done with questionable QB talent the last several years is impressive. He made Sam Bradford and Case Keenum look like Brady. 

Pat Shurmur is my favorite guess from you guys so far. I was torn between the Vikings coordinators. 

I also like like the Frank Reich pick. I believe he will become an NFL head coach soon. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Lol, I was just writing Pat Shurmur as an option when i saw a notification that you posted your post. 

He does fit in the category of retread coach who could succeed in the NFL with another opportunity.

I really like the pick. Nice work guys!

Hmmmm. I'm gonna go with............

Dabo Swinney, headcoach of the Clemson Tigers.  Headcoaching record is 101-29.  Primary background prior was a WR/TE coach. Combine this guy with a solid DC and you're likely to see the rewards quickly.

as far as another Dark horse who isn't being talked about much...  Bob Sutton, DC with the Chiefs. 

The first one I’ll say is Steve Wilks. I mentioned him in another thread as a name to watch. He strikes me as a guy who has a clear vision of what he wants, communicates well, and has an intensity about him. All that doesn’t mean he will be a great HC but I’d certainly want to interview him if I was hiring a HC.

The second one I’ll say is Raheem Morris. He was fired by the Bucs but was very young. He hasn’t been a coordinator but has been the AHC for the Falcons since 2015 I believe. 

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

Count him out . There is absolutely no way Pagano gets another year. 

You could be right, but you also might be wrong. 

I think Pagano will be fired. However, until it is a done deal, he remains a good dark horse candidate, and that’s why I chose him as my second dark horse candidate. 

44 minutes ago, stitches said:

Minnessotta's OC Pat Shurmur. What he's done with questionable QB talent the last several years is impressive. He made Sam Bradford and Case Keenum look like Brady. 

I didn't know he was a dark horse candidate but I like him as well.  My favorites are Him, Frank Reight, Matt Patricia and Todd Bowles.

And I would say my dark horse candidate is Todd Bowles.  

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I didn't know he was a dark horse candidate but I like him as well.  My favorites are Him, Frank Reight, Matt Patricia and Todd Bowles.

And I would say my dark horse candidate is Todd Bowles.  

I would prefer McDaniels to Patricia. 

In terms of a darkhorse, I could see Jim Bob Cooter making a solid play at things.

The great thing this year is that there seems to be a really good pool of HC candidates compared to 2011/2012. Back then it was the likes of Brad Childress and Chuck Pagano along with Pete Carmichael and a few others. And like last year with the GM position, the Colts may be able to land a very good hire.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I would prefer McDaniels to Patricia. 

I wouldn't be too upset with McDaniels.  But McDaniels already got a shot.

Patricia's been quietly sending out good defenses for the Pats year after year after year.  But no one talks about that because all the focus is on Tom Brady.  

New England has been top 10 in scoring defense every year that Patricia has been the coordinator except for his first year when they where 11.  Last year they where #1 in scoring defense.  

To be fair I look at Matt Patricia as more of a home run swing that could easily miss.  If we're just looking for a base hit, a decent head coach who can coach a talented QB with some talent around him then I'd say Pat Shurmur is our guy.  

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Pat Shurmur is my favorite guess from you guys so far. I was torn between the Vikings coordinators. 

Keep your hands off our coordinators! :P

Seriously, I would hate to lose either of them but the Colts would be a great organization for them to get a head coaching opportunity. 

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

I can only guess Pagano gets one more season. This is just based off of Andrew Luck not playing this season. Thats the one thing I think saves his job. The defense has improved tremendously. We just have to keep adding pieces. I like our style of defense as well. Either way I’m for whatever improvement the front office feels are necessary. Now what merits his firing is the decision to bring in Chud and Philbin. Their decision making are very questionable. 

The defense hasn't improved that much and luck not playing is a bad excuse this team under pagano since 2013 has gotten worst every year we couldn't beat anyone good in 2014 despite an 11-5 mark then the next year we couldn't even dominate our garbage division the next season even with having luck out there for 15-16 game we couldn't finish better than 8-8. Now I ask you how does he deserve another year after have a horrible season. Also let me go on record if irsay keeps this * for another year I promise you he is by far the dumbest man on the face of the planet.

30 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I wouldn't be too upset with McDaniels.  But McDaniels already got a shot.

Patricia's been quietly sending out good defenses for the Pats year after year after year.  But no one talks about that because all the focus is on Tom Brady.  

New England has been top 10 in scoring defense every year that Patricia has been the coordinator except for his first year when they where 11.  Last year they where #1 in scoring defense.  

To be fair I look at Matt Patricia as more of a home run swing that could easily miss.  If we're just looking for a base hit, a decent head coach who can coach a talented QB with some talent around him then I'd say Pat Shurmur is our guy.  

I have to respectfully disagree here with you about Patricia. For me, it's tough to give him that much credit for their defense's success when BB is the head coach and mastermind behind that system. New England's defense has always had consistent success, long before Patricia came into the fold there. Add in the fact that most of the coordinators that have left New England have found little to no success and you start to realize that it's just the Belichick machine. Consider me very skeptical.

16 minutes ago, Restored said:

I have to respectfully disagree here with you about Patricia. For me, it's tough to give him that much credit for their defense's success when BB is the head coach and mastermind behind that system. New England's defense has always had consistent success, long before Patricia came into the fold there. Add in the fact that most of the coordinators that have left New England have found little to no success and you start to realize that it's just the Belichick machine. Consider me very skeptical.

That's why I look at him as a home run swing.  There is a big chance of failure there.  

I'm honestly trying to decide if my favorite is Pat Shurmur or Todd Bowles.  I like what Shurmer has done for the Vikings, he's produced a functional offense with a career backup and quite frankly not a lot of stars on that offense.  

On the other hand I focused in immediately on Todd Bowles the moment he started winning games with the Jets when the management was clearly trying to tank the season.  Think about it for a moment, before the season the headlines where "How are the Jets even going to get a first down?"  That same team widely expected by the pundits to go 0 - 16 has won 5 games this season.  If they fire their head coach I want him.

OK, let me preface this with the fact that I will go with whatever Ballard picks and so this is purely a "wild card" pick......Bill O'Brien. 

Per Rotoworld today, rumours circulating that the Texans are looking to clear house on coaching, including O'Brien.  The guy has excellent knowledge of the division, is experienced (which complements an inexperienced GM) and works well with quality quarterbacks (you could say his time in Houston has been a huge struggle based on QB struggles).

Its not a sexy pic but you could see the logic.

58 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

#1 - Jerry Rosburg (Ravens)

#2 - Tom Coughlin (Jags)

LOL :) 

He is going to demote himself from Executive VP of football operations of the Jaguars to become HC of the Colts, ya right!!!

My dark horse is Rams OC Matt LeFleur, very prolific record as QB coach, and a BIG part of the Rams' success this year.

27 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's why I look at him as a home run swing.  There is a big chance of failure there.  

I'm honestly trying to decide if my favorite is Pat Shurmur or Todd Bowles.  I like what Shurmer has done for the Vikings, he's produced a functional offense with a career backup and quite frankly not a lot of stars on that offense.  

On the other hand I focused in immediately on Todd Bowles the moment he started winning games with the Jets when the management was clearly trying to tank the season.  Think about it for a moment, before the season the headlines where "How are the Jets even going to get a first down?"  That same team widely expected by the pundits to go 0 - 16 has won 5 games this season.  If they fire their head coach I want him.

I'd hire Todd Bowles as a DC in an instant. As a HC, the players play just as hard for Pagano as his players do for him. The Jets were supposed to tank based on who they named starter in pre-season etc. and then came the Josh McCown resurgence that led to wins. This league is about the QB for wins in the regular season, us Colts fans should know that darn well. :) 

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

LOL :) 

He is going to demote himself from Executive VP of football operations of the Jaguars to become HC of the Colts, ya right!!!

My dark horse is Rams OC Matt LeFleur, very prolific record as QB coach, and a BIG part of the Rams' success this year.

Well, Coughlin would be a dark, dark horse.  Thought I'd bet on a loooong shot with the chance to take credit if it happened :)