Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting a position nobody is talking about

I tried to bring this up on another forum but the dialogue had disintegrated into a personal feud. So......I am bringing it up here. 

The Colts have a weakness no one talks about: the second TE slot. Doyle is rock solid; the current backups are scrubs. Swoope may be an exception to the scrub label; he has some talent but is still unproven as a blocker, has a bad knee, and is still very green. And our new player, Ross Travis, gives one some hope, but he has very, very little on his resume. 

Having a talented pass catching TE that can block as Doyle's opposite would be a huge bonus for this team. It could certainly give the offense a bounce. 

I'd like to see the Colts draft a TE in the mid rounds that matches this description. To my knowledge, the team hasn't spent a pick here since they took Fleener and Allen in Grigson's first year. Time to prioritize this position again. 

9 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I tried to bring this up on another forum but the dialogue had disintegrated into a personal feud. So......I am bringing it up here. 

The Colts have a weakness no one talks about: the second TE slot. Doyle is rock solid; the current backups are scrubs. Swoope may be an exception to the scrub label; he has some talent but is still unproven as a blocker, has a bad knee, and is still very green. And our new player, Ross Travis, gives one some hope, but he has very, very little on his resume. 

Having a talented pass catching TE that can block as Doyle's opposite would be a huge bonus for this team. It could certainly give the offense a bounce. 

I'd like to see the Colts draft a TE in the mid rounds that matches this description. To my knowledge, the team hasn't spent a pick here since they took Fleener and Allen in Grigson's first year. Time to prioritize this position again. 

We don't even have a no2 WR at this point, let alone a no2 TE. We need to draft someone that can catch the ball and take some pressure off Hilton before worrying about a no2 TE IMO.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We don't even have a no2 WR at this point, let alone a no2 TE. We need to draft someone that can catch the ball and take some pressure off Hilton before worrying about a no2 TE IMO.

It's my hunch we will sign at least one, if not two wide receivers in free agency.   

Too many other needs needs to address in the draft, plus if we sign wide receivers as FAs they are far more likely to be able to help right away than a drafted rookie who might need a year or two to get up to speed.

I know you'll keep a sharp eye on free agency...    that's where I think it will happen.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's my hunch we will sign at least one, if not two wide receivers in free agency.   

Too many other needs needs to address in the draft, plus if we sign wide receivers as FAs they are far more likely to be able to help right away than a drafted rookie who might need a year or two to get up to speed.

I know you'll keep a sharp eye on free agency...    that's where I think it will happen.

Yeah, I'll definitely be checking out the class as soon as these last two weeks are over. I'm hoping for Allen Robinson as I know he is recovering from a torn ACL, and he might not re-sign with Jax and could come at a decent price depending on his health come February. Will have to look at the list, but it seems like Ballard has had some good accuracy on FA's so far, so he's already better than Grigson in that department IMO. I think we will massively improve with FA and the draft, but it all depends on Luck's health in the end. Luckily, we should have info before February when FA begins.

6 hours ago, Hoose said:

Since we're talking about a second TE, I don't see us spending a high or even a mid round pick on a secondary tight end.

If we don't sign one in FA, then I think we'd likely spend a sixth round pick on a TE.    

By the way...   I think Swoope is the easy front runner for the job.   If healthy, he has the skill set for what we're looking for.   He even gained about 10-12 pounds before the 17 season to help with the blocking...   

And Travis flashed an interesting skill set in his brief week 15 Colts debut...   worth watching....

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since we're talking about a second TE, I don't see us spending a high or even a mid round pick on a secondary tight end.

If we don't sign one in FA, then I think we'd likely spend a sixth round pick on a TE.    

By the way...   I think Swoope is the easy front runner for the job.   If healthy, he has the skill set for what we're looking for.   He even gained about 10-12 pounds before the 17 season to help with the blocking...   

And Travis flashed an interesting skill set in his brief week 15 Colts debut...   worth watching....

Yep, I wouldn't bet money on Swoope or Travis surpassing Doyle as the no1 TE, but I'm fairly confident that either Swoope or Travis will be good enough as a no2 TE by next season if given the chance. I think it's likely we sign a TE through FA. That's a position that seems kind of a waste to draft unless someone falls and is great value in the mid-rounds. Still two weeks to see if either do anything else.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, I wouldn't bet money on Swoope or Travis surpassing Doyle as the no1 TE, but I'm fairly confident that either Swoope or Travis will be good enough as a no2 TE by next season if given the chance. I think it's likely we sign a TE through FA. That's a position that seems kind of a waste to draft unless someone falls and is great value in the mid-rounds. Still two weeks to see if either do anything else.

Yes...   to be clear,  I was only speaking of those two as the second TE,  not the primary...   

At this point of their careers,  I don't see either guy as a future number one.   That might change someday,  but I don't see it now...

15 hours ago, Hoose said:

Jack Doyle...undrafted best TE we have had in the last 6 years....need I say more about the value of the position? I'm all for taking the best player available and maybe there will be a value or steal there at one of our picks and we do take a TE....but I'm totally ok with late draft picks and undrafted FA at a backup TE position that only plays in special packages. I'm always interested in making the team better but for positions like TE and RB and S I'm just not going to get worked up on spending high valued assets and money on because the value they provide over their replacement is typically not that high. I think there is special talent in all positions and if you have someone that is a clear difference maker lying there for you then you upgrade but all things being equal....positions in my opinion aren't equal...and I'm going to prioritize them as such. Might not be popular but that is how I feel. Just like in baseball or other sports...you want the best at every position but when it comes down to finite resources your going to prioritize where to spend your money and draft picks. A pitcher or qb is going to be more valuable then say a 2nd baseman or TE. Now some teams value positions differently depending on scheme and fit...but to me...TE is not the type of position the Colts need to place a high priority on especially with a starter in place.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we add a couple wr's as well in free agency. I think Ballard prefers that big oversized receiver considering he went after Jefferies and to a lesser extent Aiken last year...so it will be interesting to see who we go after. I think we draft a project in the mid to late rounds but we add one of the more proven free agents from the thread I started the other day. Perhaps Robinson or Landry or Adams...someone that will command attention from TY. Time will tell...maybe we bring Moncrief back but I definitely think we need a go to receiver besides TY and we just don't have that on the roster right now.

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we add a couple wr's as well in free agency. I think Ballard prefers that big oversized receiver considering he went after Jefferies and to a lesser extent Aiken last year...so it will be interesting to see who we go after. I think we draft a project in the mid to late rounds but we add one of the more proven free agents from the thread I started the other day. Perhaps Robinson or Landry or Adams...someone that will command attention from TY. Time will tell...maybe we bring Moncrief back but I definitely think we need a go to receiver besides TY and we just don't have that on the roster right now.

Yup!    Yes to all the above.    We see this the same way.     The WR positions have proved difficult for the Colts to get right...   

I look forward to seeing how Ballard deals with this in the off season...

I'd consider spending a 6th or 7th rounder on one if they're BPA, but other than that it's not a position I'd consider drafting this year. Doyle is one of the better starting TEs in the league, and I thought Swoope was poised for a big breakout season as the #2 this year, which obviously didn't happen due to injury. I'd give Swoope another chance in '18 to see if he can cut it in an expanded role, and based on last Thursday, I think Travis could be a solid #3. Bring in some competition for the third spot, but other than that I think TE is one of the rare spots on this roster (especially the offensive side of the ball) where we're fairly set.

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many starting positions that we need a #2 TE isn't that big of a need.

Secondly Swoope could easily fill that role.  In 2016 Swoope did very well when called upon.  His reps where of course limited he was the #3 guy on the roster, but when he did play, he did well.  

As far as I'm concerned our #2 TE next year is Swoope.  Sure he's not real proven or anything, but when you need multiple starters on the OL, multiple starters at LB, an RB, a WR #2, and a #1 CB you really don't need to be sitting and worrying about the fact that your #2 TE is unproven.  

52 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

By that same logic, would the Patriots now choose to draft a QB no higher than the 4th round?

The Patriots do have a history of drafting QBs in later rounds and it seems to have worked out pretty well for them. Brady in the 6th round and a couple that were turned into great draft picks.

On 12/19/2017 at 6:29 PM, Hoose said:

I will not only check your thoughts but raise them, sir! 

Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State

He has been on my radar ever since his 2016 season. I think he will be a great pro, and I would love for us to take him in the second or third round, if we can trade our top pick for some extras, then it would make it easier to draft him. He might be available mid-to-late second, or early in the third. 

It's early, and a lot of people don't really even know how good he is yet, because there is so much firepower in his offense. His stock could soar or he might be that diamond some team grabs in the third or fourth round. 

I would only want a TE if he's a total mismatch for defenses.  He would have to be a good blocjker and a great receiver and he would become Lucks Gronk, while Doyle would be Lucks Hernandez ( football wise not personal wise) otherwise we should focus on getting WR like everyone is saying.