Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Barkley? No, Ingram? Possibly

I think we have to address RB in some capacity.  Assuming Gore wont be back, perhaps Turbin can be a #3.  He was a short yardage machine.  I like Mack, im just not sure he survives 16 games if he is "the man."  It would be nice to have him continue to develop as a #2 and changecof pace.  Maybe use him as a KC style (ala Charles) and use him for screens, passing game,etc.  he could be a weapon.  But to pound him up the middle like Gore wont last long:

when i watch Bell in Pitt, i think what a Barkley could do for this offense. Hard to think we'd tske him high with other needs tho.  However, the threat of a back like that is like improving the OL.  The threat itself would buy Andrew that extra s cond or two, not to mention the pressure he would put on defenses. And i love me some play action.  

I like Ingram but i would expect him to get much more than we're not thinking on the open market:  

i would just like to see a productive back.  Who knows , maybe Mack can develop into a Bell or Barkley type weapon.  Maybe not at that level, but still dangerous.

its funny how excited i'm getting for NEXT year.  Kinda the way i felt the year Andrew was out (2015?). 

Im VERY glad i dont have to pick our 1st pick because i have NO idea what i'd do.  Good thing that orangutan at the zoo does it. He obviously relies heavily on metrics as he always uses the computer to announce his picks.   As far as we know, Grigs is hiding behind that display screen.

I am in the minority here (and will probably be killed verbally momentarily) when I say, I am ok with Turbin Mack backfield and draft a developmental guy.....we have too many other needs to make RB a huge priority......just a priority is fine for me, hold the "huge"

If we have a good, or even great OL next year after FA signings and the draft, then any RB can run through holes created by the OL.  Not many RBs can run behind an OL that can't run block.  If a RB gets the ball and has defenders in the backfield or clogging up the line of scrimmage, then chances are they don't succeed.

Let's build that OL and then see how Mack and Turbin perform.

Once a line is finally in place we will make strides in every area of offense.  Luck will have time, WR's will be able to break open (hopefully running quicker routes), and a RB will not be getting hit as the ball is handed off.  Mack would hopefully be able to find roles and make things happen, but a glaring weakness for him still is pass protection. 

On 12/19/2017 at 8:59 AM, crunked said:

I am in the minority here (and will probably be killed verbally momentarily) when I say, I am ok with Turbin Mack backfield and draft a developmental guy.....we have too many other needs to make RB a huge priority......just a priority is fine for me, hold the "huge"

RB isn't really a developmental position though.  

The only skill that RB's develop through coaching is pass protection.  

The whole finding the hole and hitting it is almost entirely instinct.  You either have the vision and ability to do that or you don't.  It's not really something the coaches can teach you. 

I'm not really advocating taking Barkley, but the idea of a developmental RB, that doesn't really exist.  

Ok by developmental, I guess looking at Mack as an example......someone who hopefully doesn't have to see the field a lot, that has that instinct, but like Mack can't protect and struggles to catch screens out of the backfield......so a Mack level of RB that GOD willing wont have to be relied upon as much as Mack has in his rookie season. That is what I meant by developmental....potential and instinct.....rough around the edges on the finishes

On 12/18/2017 at 6:28 PM, Indeee said:

For all those wanting Barkley I believe if Ingram becomes a FA based on becoming an All-Pro this year, the Colts may take a stab at him and I think I would be okay with that

I think you allocate free agency resources elsewhere. 

The top ten rushers in the league this year are filled with guys who are in their rookie contracts and drafted in the mid-rounds.  In other words, they are young and cheap and I don't think either really describes Ingram anymore.