Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England (-3) at Pittsburgh (12-17-17)

oldunclemark

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...it was about as bad a week as we could get. Colts lost another second half lead.....then even if you want a high pick the Giants blew a chance to win....NE won on another goal line stand by a team that is dumb enough to throw the ball over the middle instead of a fade and just..it was pretty bad all the way around. Tough one.

On the bright side, I can see the Steelers winning if they match up again in the post-season. BUT... I don't really want to see Sixburgh win another ring. I'd be okay with them losing to the Rams or Vikings in the superbowl :)

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Gramz said:

I missed all the games today.  We had a family outing and get together.    One of the kids were keeping tabs on the games on her phone,  and told me the Steelers were up 30 -27.   I get home and see the Pats won 27-24.    Was a TD overturned at the end, or what?  Someone fill me in.

Uh yeah....imagine that...another TD overturned at the end of a Pats game this year...deja vu anyone lol. Honestly the Pats deserved that game...Pittsburgh gave it away 3 times....so I'm not mad...you want to win then stomp on their necks....first they went 3 and out on a key late drive...then they drop a SURE int game over on Brady. Then they throw an INT over the middle on the goal line ala SB49....nobody learns in this league apparently. I DO think the outcome would have been different if Antonio Brown could have played the whole game...but even still Steelers gave it away.

2 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

On the bright side, I can see the Steelers winning if they match up again in the post-season. BUT... I don't really want to see Sixburgh win another ring. I'd be okay with them losing to the Rams or Vikings in the superbowl :)

Not in New England I don't think...perhaps if they get HFA back.....and probably not anyways as I doubt Antonio Brown who tore his calf will be anything like himself. The Steelers can't ever be at full health with the Killer B's against NE. But yeah a perfect world Minnesota wins the SB.

3 hours ago, Gramz said:

I have seen this statement on several sites.   Do you agree ~ or disagree...??

The rule was interpreted correctly, but the rule is bad. There are plenty of problems with the NFL right now, but many of them are either intractable or downright unfixable. The catch rule is not one of them. The NFL has to fix it, and that might require a totally radical sort of solution. 

I would have no problem if the rule were changed so that a play like that one is considered a catch. I think the NFL strives to eliminate as much subjectivity from the rules as they can. They don't want the officiating to be like that of the NBA, where a "foul" is purely subjective and changes from ref to ref. There's good and bad to that. This is a classic example...here we all are basically agreeing that the play was called exactly as the rule is written. The ball was moving as he went to the ground. Yet most people visually watching it believe he completed the catch and then scored.

That said, you know damn well that if they change the rules this offseason, the odds are that the Pats will end up winning a game as the beneficiary of that new interpretation!

I think the real story coming out of the game is Antonio Brown has a torn calf....done for the regular season and I would say basically done for the playoffs because a torn calf there is no way he can be the AB we all know and love. Big injuries continue to rock the NFL.

P.S. Tom Brady just secured MVP with that comeback winning performance as well. Locked up.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the real story coming out of the game is Antonio Brown has a torn calf....done for the regular season and I would say basically done for the playoffs because a torn calf there is no way he can be the AB we all know and love. Big injuries continue to rock the NFL.

P.S. Tom Brady just secured MVP with that comeback winning performance as well. Locked up.

Good, I hope he gets it!!! :) 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Good, I hope he gets it!!! :) 

He has definitely earned it....just wish guys like Wentz and AB didn't go down and we got a nice runoff at the end of the season...they had some great performances....but it's Tom's now and there is no doubt in that. Well earned.

What's with all the doom. NE's front 7 is ordinary and then add injuries. Pretty bad when your hoping your 3rd stringer can go.

They still have to beat Buffalo. Then they'd have to beat the 1st round KC or whoever. Then the final round Jags,Steelers? Then one of those NFC teams. They have a 50-50 chance just like those other teams.

13 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

The bribe check Kraft sends to the officials cleared the bank in time.

So now we're going to get two games in Foxboro next month, instead of the Patriots possibly having to play 3 games and 2 on the road in the postseason.

You are football's answer to this guy:

Image result for eeyore gif

5 hours ago, Gramz said:

I have seen this statement on several sites.   Do you agree ~ or disagree...??

The rule was interpreted correctly, but the rule is bad. There are plenty of problems with the NFL right now, but many of them are either intractable or downright unfixable. The catch rule is not one of them. The NFL has to fix it, and that might require a totally radical sort of solution. 

It's really difficult to say, 100%, either way... every example of this type of play has its own nuances. 

Personally, I thought James lost control of the ball. I saw his left hand off it while it was moving. But, he caught it shy of the goal line, went down on one knee (untouched), and lunged over the goal line with the ball. 

So to me, it's not as much a question of catch or no catch, it's almost more of a question of "when does the receiver become a runner?" James caught it, turned, and lunged all sort of in the same motion, but if he had just caught it and gone to the ground at the two yard line, I doubt he would have lost control of it. 

Players are being told to NOT lunge the ball at the goal line anymore, for this reason and others. 

2 hours ago, -JJ- said:

What's with all the doom. NE's front 7 is ordinary and then add injuries. Pretty bad when your hoping your 3rd stringer can go.

They still have to beat Buffalo. Then they'd have to beat the 1st round KC or whoever. Then the final round Jags,Steelers? Then one of those NFC teams. They have a 50-50 chance just like those other teams.

Well AB is out for Pittsburgh so the likelihood they go into Foxboro without him or a limited him and beat NE.....yeah not happening. I give Jacksonville the best chance but with Bortles at QB against Belicheck....I don't like those odds. Obviously anything can happen but NE winning a wild card game then 2 road games before the SB were long odds....winning two home games after a bye....I'd take that chance.

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well AB is out for Pittsburgh so the likelihood they go into Foxboro without him or a limited him and beat NE.....yeah not happening. I give Jacksonville the best chance but with Bortles at QB against Belicheck....I don't like those odds. Obviously anything can happen but NE winning a wild card game then 2 road games before the SB were long odds....winning two home games after a bye....I'd take that chance.

Agreed WC harder. Technically HF is worth 3pts. The worst is travelling across country on 6 days between games.

The AFCCG where the Colts won NE had no business being there. They just weren't that good with eyeballs and company.

They should have lost in SD but some play by Troy Brown and they won. They flew back for the Colts half the team with the flu. Polian turning up the heat didn't help either :) 

I was watching with my Nephew and at half time we agreed an 18 pt lead was not going to get it done with Manning.

Had eyeballs caught the pass and we get a 25 pt lead we both felt that was enough:)

Low and behold 18pt lead was not enough.

This year NE is good but hardly great except shady Tom- jeez now Chad 72 has me saying that lol.

Heck down 28-3 last year they should have lost.  2 pt conversions are a 50%. They had to make two of those which brings it down to 25%.

5 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

Agreed WC harder. Technically HF is worth 3pts. The worst is travelling across country on 6 days between games.

The AFCCG where the Colts won NE had no business being there. They just weren't that good with eyeballs and company.

They should have lost in SD but some play by Troy Brown and they won. They flew back for the Colts half the team with the flu. Polian turning up the heat didn't help either :) 

I was watching with my Nephew and at half time we agreed an 18 pt lead was not going to get it done with Manning.

Had eyeballs caught the pass and we get a 25 pt lead we both felt that was enough:)

Low and behold 18pt lead was not enough.

This year NE is good but hardly great except shady Tom- jeez now Chad 72 has me saying that lol.

Heck down 28-3 last year they should have lost.  2 pt conversions are a 50%. They had to make two of those which brings it down to 25%.

I don't think NE has ever gone to the SB after having to play in the wild card game in the Bellicheck era. It would be quite an accomplishment...especially for a beat up team to play in consecutive weeks and travel on the road twice. Pats have lost some crazy games and won some...they've been on both sides of the coin....but the wins....wow....you can't be closer to losing then get gifted a couple huge collapses like they got. I don't know how 18 wasn't enough...but it wasn't. It looked like Peyton was in a funk that game until something sparked them. It isn't easy getting over your nemesis...but certainly that year the best team won. Looking back after that NE Dynasty kinda broke down and the Colts really put together juggernauts in 04 and on it was a pretty even series with the home team typically winning. That is why HFA is huge. Both qbs like to audible and run a hurry up offense at times and that is hard to do on the road.