Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if? (Edgerrin James 2001 injury)

Dark Superman

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You are not gonna fill every spot with great players like some of you think 

No team has an elite player at every position.

Building this roster is going to take time and it's going to take a lot more than another draft and year of free agency, to get us where we need to be.

I believe Ballard will eventually build us a roster that can compete for SB Titles. Grigson didn't do us any favors during his tenure here. It's gonna take time to rebuild, but I believe we're headed in the right direction.

33 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

No team has an elite player at every position.

Building this roster is going to take time and it's going to take a lot more than another draft and year of free agency, to get us where we need to be.

I believe Ballard will eventually build us a roster that can compete for SB Titles. Grigson didn't do us any favors during his tenure here. It's gonna take time to rebuild, but I believe we're headed in the right direction.

Why are you telling me this I'm not the one who thinks we can get great players at every spot on the team 

20 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

What if Edgerrin James never tore his ACL in 2001? For those of you who remember, Edge was hands down the best RB in the league from 99-01. Before his injury, he was the complete back who could do it all. He was explosive, good hands, great blocker, and had some of the sickest cuts I had ever seen. He was the bell cow for this offense and made this offense special. So if Edge didn't get hurt and the Colts still drafted Wayne, Clark, and picked up Stokey in FA. Do you guys think the Colts would own a few more rings?

I think we would have won at least one more ring. (Possibly 2005 when we lost to Pittsburgh by a field goal) Edgerrin could take so much pressure off Manning, especially on the road and even in a place such as Foxboro. He could block, catch passes, or carve up a defense when handed off the ball. I know our defense was below average, but if the Colts had a lead in one of those games, or even kept it close, I think having a healthy EJ would make all the difference in the world.

I see A LOT of Edgerrin James in Saquon Barkley. Can you really pass up someone like Barkley if he's there when the Colts are on the clock? Andrew Luck needs a guy like Barkley to help take a ton of pressure off of him. Barkley is a stud at finding even the smallest of holes to explode through and his presence alone would help take a lot of pressure off of #12 

I know a lot of people wouldn't want a RB with the top 5 pick, but if Chris Ballard pulled the trigger on Barkley, well let's just say I would be all for it. Give Luck Barkley, Another WR, And some Offensive Line help, and the Colts offense could be scary good in 2018.

If Saquon Barkley is wearing the blue and white Shoe on his helmet in 2018.

Look out rest of the NFL.

IMO I think cb could find a great rb in the later rounds. But no rb will have real success behind this oline (obvious statement I know .. or is it?) 

I doubt Edge tearing his knee up kept us from multiple Rings.

Historically we can't beat the Steelers in playoff games AND the Pats find ways to Cheat their way to victory.

19 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Exactly and they don't grow on trees if we get a better o line and Barkley we can't have the better linebackers too

Why not? The better line comes from FA and you don't have to spend a first rounder on a ILB, especially if your improved offense is playing keep away each week.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:32 AM, Dark Superman said:

What if Edgerrin James never tore his ACL in 2001? For those of you who remember, Edge was hands down the best RB in the league from 99-01. Before his injury, he was the complete back who could do it all. He was explosive, good hands, great blocker, and had some of the sickest cuts I had ever seen. He was the bell cow for this offense and made this offense special. So if Edge didn't get hurt and the Colts still drafted Wayne, Clark, and picked up Stokey in FA. Do you guys think the Colts would own a few more rings?

I think we would have won at least one more ring. (Possibly 2005 when we lost to Pittsburgh by a field goal) Edgerrin could take so much pressure off Manning, especially on the road and even in a place such as Foxboro. He could block, catch passes, or carve up a defense when handed off the ball. I know our defense was below average, but if the Colts had a lead in one of those games, or even kept it close, I think having a healthy EJ would make all the difference in the world.

I see A LOT of Edgerrin James in Saquon Barkley. Can you really pass up someone like Barkley if he's there when the Colts are on the clock? Andrew Luck needs a guy like Barkley to help take a ton of pressure off of him. Barkley is a stud at finding even the smallest of holes to explode through and his presence alone would help take a lot of pressure off of #12 

I know a lot of people wouldn't want a RB with the top 5 pick, but if Chris Ballard pulled the trigger on Barkley, well let's just say I would be all for it. Give Luck Barkley, Another WR, And some Offensive Line help, and the Colts offense could be scary good in 2018.

If Saquon Barkley is wearing the blue and white Shoe on his helmet in 2018.

Look out rest of the NFL.

If we pick around 5 and he's still there , it would IMO be a great pick. He's a special RB. If we are 2nd or 3rd and get a big offer for a QB that's still on the board , then you probably have to trade the pick.

19 minutes ago, dw49 said:

If we pick around 5 and he's still there , it would IMO be a great pick. He's a special RB. If we are 2nd or 3rd and get a big offer for a QB that's still on the board , then you probably have to trade the pick.

There have been a lot of RBs that have been considered special and burned out. I'd honestly rather take Bryce Love if he declares in the 2nd than Barkley in the 1st, and get an elite O-Lineman or Defensive player in the 1st round. I'd make a bet with anyone on here that Todd Gurley will have a better career than Barkley. Reasoning is, the once in a generation player is thrown around too much, and I would bet Gurley is better than the hot flavor of the year. Yes, I have some hindsight with Gurley, but if once in a generation had meaning for a player, someone would take me up on that bet immediately, but since the real meaning of "once in a generation player" is the best player in the draft, I don't think anyone would actually bet against me on that.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There have been a lot of RBs that have been considered special and burned out. I'd honestly rather take Bryce Love if he declares in the 2nd than Barkley in the 1st, and get an elite O-Lineman or Defensive player in the 1st round. I'd make a bet with anyone on here that Todd Gurley will have a better career than Barkley. Reasoning is, the once in a generation player is thrown around too much, and I would bet Gurley is better than the hot flavor of the year. Yes, I have some hindsight with Gurley, but if once in a generation had meaning for a player, someone would take me up on that bet immediately, but since the real meaning of "once in a generation player" is the best player in the draft, I don't think anyone would actually bet against me on that.

Nothing wrong with your logic or opinion. But look at how Dallas is with and without Elliot ?  

I would take your bet but my worry is I might not live to pay it or collect it. 

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Nothing wrong with your logic or opinion. But look at how Dallas is with and without Elliot ?  

I would take your bet but my worry is I might not live to pay it or collect it. 

Elliott is very good, but his O-Line really benefits him. I will say he carries Dak to a degree though. My opinion is that Barkley is probably the best RB in the class, but the hype gets out of control. We'll just do a friendly bet then and see how he ends up. There's a good chance that another RB in this class could turn out better IMO.

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There have been a lot of RBs that have been considered special and burned out.

you made some good points but you could say this about any position 

once in a generation is used far too often, i agree.  we hear it about somebody pretty much every year which doesn't make sense

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, Dark Superman said:

Really?

I think he would be stupid to pass Barkley up.

I don't care that he's a RB. He's too good to pass up for an Offensive Lineman or Linebacker.

Every Sunday I watch guys picked out of nowhere play RB and do an excellent job...and few are first rd picks. Kenyon Drake, Lesean McCoy, Alvin Kamara, Jay Ajayi, Jordan Howard, Laveon Bell, David Johnson, Kareem Hunt, Alex Collins, Devonta Freeman...the list goes on and on....none in the first rd. Not saying you have to wait til later rounds to find a running back .....but the value is definitely there! I'd much rather invest in the line of scrimmage with a pass rusher or lineman...but the best player will be choosen whomever Ballard determines.....hopefully we can maybe move back a little and get our guy plus get some more picks....that would be awesome....but I know for certain I miss that dynamic Freeney or Mathis coming off the edge more than EDGE....because I think having an elite pass rusher is more important than an elite running back....and harder to find....and they typically last longer.

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Elliott is very good, but his O-Line really benefits him. I will say he carries Dak to a degree though. My opinion is that Barkley is probably the best RB in the class, but the hype gets out of control. We'll just do a friendly bet then and see how he ends up. There's a good chance that another RB in this class could turn out better IMO.

Friendly bet works as I'm 68 and wouldn't trust my wife to pay you off if I kicked before it was determined who was better.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lets hope you stay alive to see Barkley's entire career! :) 

Wow....this thread took a turn on the morbid side lol. :Cry:But I'm not so sure he is the best back in this draft. He is very much a homerun hitter....I'd be perfectly content to find a guy that hits for avg....who has power to the alleys. Barkley passes up on too many 4 and 5 yard plays to hit those big 40 yd runs. I feel like we have that big play maker in the back field in Mack....I'd rather have the grinder....like a young Frank Gore...not our older one.

13 hours ago, WERC82 said:

Why not? The better line comes from FA and you don't have to spend a first rounder on a ILB, especially if your improved offense is playing keep away each week.

The type of linebacker we need goes in the 1st round last thing we need is more Antonio morrisons

Jared Cisneros I'd gladly take you in that bet. As a runner I think Barkley is/was better than Gurley coming out of college but not my much, but is definitely a better receiver IMO. As long as he doesn't get trapped on a team no line or qb, like Gurley was last year, and stays healthy then he'll be one of the best RBs in the league.

1 hour ago, ty4atd said:

Jared Cisneros I'd gladly take you in that bet. As a runner I think Barkley is/was better than Gurley coming out of college but not my much, but is definitely a better receiver IMO. As long as he doesn't get trapped on a team no line or qb, like Gurley was last year, and stays healthy then he'll be one of the best RBs in the league.

I'll take your bet. Since the learning curve is very low for RBs, and you believe the hype for Barkley, lets do a quote bet. If I win, you have to endorse me as the new GM of the Colts. If I win, I will quote whatever you say within forum rules. This is in his rookie year, and if either player has a season ending injury, the bet is off. We have a deal?

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who should we take at #3?

Right now, I like Nelson. I haven't looked at too many rankings or draft lists yet. No tape either. Fitzpatrick has looked solid, and I know there are some pass rushers. This could be a good year to trade down. If we get a top 3 pick, maybe trade down with the Browns and their 2nd pick to allow them to have 2 top 3 picks and we gain some draft capital from their loaded draft class.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Right now, I like Nelson. I haven't looked at too many rankings or draft lists yet. No tape either. Fitzpatrick has looked solid, and I know there are some pass rushers. This could be a good year to trade down. If we get a top 3 pick, maybe trade down with the Browns and their 2nd pick to allow them to have 2 top 3 picks and we gain some draft capital from their loaded draft class.

What about Barkley, not sold on him?

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What about Barkley, not sold on him?

Don't like Barkley. I think he'd be pretty useless behind our current O-Line. Our guards aren't very good, and they are big run blockers. Would prefer fixing the O-Line or even a defensive player before drafting a 1st round RB in another deep RB class. I personally would rather take Bryce Love in the 2nd if he declares and an elite talent in the 1st than Barkley in the 1st and a significant drop in talent elsewhere in the 2nd. It's early though, and I haven't watched any tape yet, so things could change.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Don't like Barkley. I think he'd be pretty useless behind our current O-Line. Our guards aren't very good, and they are big run blockers. Would prefer fixing the O-Line or even a defensive player before drafting a 1st round RB in another deep RB class. I personally would rather take Bryce Love in the 2nd if he declares and an elite talent in the 1st than Barkley in the 1st and a significant drop in talent elsewhere in the 2nd. It's early though, and I haven't watched any tape yet, so things could change.

Yeah it's early, we will have these discussions more around Feb/March. I do like Love, he is a tough runner. If we can pair someone with Mack that is Good than we have something. I would probably go O.Line or Pass Rusher at 3 as of now though.

9 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The type of linebacker we need goes in the 1st round last thing we need is more Antonio morrisons

You can get more value for your money at a 3 or 4 pick drafting a stud RB than you can an ILB unless you think the perennial pro bowl, good at everything ILB is in the next draft class. Don't get me wrong, I think the ILB is the most important piece to a solid D, that was my position back in the day. I just think fixing our 2 pump chump offense is priority one right now. The best thing you can do for a defense is not let the opponent have the ball.  

I will take your bet, I doubt they do but aside from injury I think the Giants picking Barley would be the only thing stopping him from being very good right away. Just to clarify are we comparing Barkley's rookie year to Gurley's or his 2018 season?