Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With The First Pick In The Second Round The Colts Select...

I like Harrison as a player but 2nd pick in the 2nd round is too high, IMO. He has excellent field awareness and is great an anticipating which helps him get in position a lot of times but he's not real fluid in coverage. If he's there in the 3rd round that would be a good value, that early in the 2nd round is a reach.

I think if Reggie is gone then we should take a WR... May be unpopular by saying that but I think WR may be an area we are hurting at this year... I also wouldn't mind seeing a big DT taken there either.

I think O-line could wait until the 3rd or 4th rounds. I think with Castanzo, Reitz, Ijalana and Saturday/ Pollak we are actually pretty set on the O-Line... just need more play time together to gel and one or two more studs to round us out. This may be where FA comes into play tho as well.

If he's on the board, Dontari Poe.

I agree. If Poe isn't there then I'd like to get either Josh Chapman in the 3rd round or Kawann Short in the 3rd or 4th round. If we don't go with Poe at the top of round 2 then I'd say the best CB available or Mark Barron. I do like Harrison Smith though but I agree that top of round 2 is a reach. I think he'd be a value pickup in the 3rd round if we don't take Barron or another safety earlier. That's also assuming we don't get a safety in free agency.

Yeah, no on taking a safety in the second round unless it's Barron. Besides which, Smith is projected to go as low as round 4 - 6 so this would be way too early on that guy. I think we should be looking for a NT or WR in round 2...possibly CB if there is one good enough. Previous posters have already mentioed Dontari Poe who I also like but Alameda Ta'amu is another great possibility and I don't see him falling to the 3rd round. There are a bunch of good WR's that I think would be solid pick ups in this round such as:

Kendall Wright (Baylor)

Mohamed Sanu (Rutgers)

Dwight Jones (NC)

Stephen Hill as a raw "developmental receiver"

The Combine will tell us a good deal about these receivers...the 40 times and the cone-drills are good ways to judge.

if we go WR in round 2 then my vote goes to Reuben Randle. Maybe he'll slip to the top of the 3rd round and we can nab him there. I would like to see another OG drafted in one of the middle rounds.

To be perfectly honest though I think we'd probably get the best value going Barron in round 2 and then the best CB available at the top of round 3...maybe Jayron Hosley will still be there.

I'd love to see the colts make some deals to get an extra pick or 2 in rounds 2 and 3. If they really want to infuse the team with a lot of young talent then it may be time to move guys like Dallas Clark (who's had injury issues lately) and Dwight Freeney (who I really don't see transitioning well to a 3-4) and if we have to make a choice between keeping Mathis or Wayne then choose one, sign him and then franchise and try to trade the other.

I like H. Smith, but agree that the 2nd pick of Rd 2 is too early to take him.

If there is a WR that perhaps slips out of the late 1st round, I'd look highly at that taking him. If Reggie leaves, I think WR becomes a big need postition.

If not WR -- I'd probably look to CB.

if we go WR in round 2 then my vote goes to Reuben Randle. Maybe he'll slip to the top of the 3rd round and we can nab him there. I would like to see another OG drafted in one of the middle rounds.

To be perfectly honest though I think we'd probably get the best value going Barron in round 2 and then the best CB available at the top of round 3...maybe Jayron Hosley will still be there.

I'd love to see the colts make some deals to get an extra pick or 2 in rounds 2 and 3. If they really want to infuse the team with a lot of young talent then it may be time to move guys like Dallas Clark (who's had injury issues lately) and Dwight Freeney (who I really don't see transitioning well to a 3-4) and if we have to make a choice between keeping Mathis or Wayne then choose one, sign him and then franchise and try to trade the other.

being realistic though no way barron is there @34. kinda split on the 3rd...should be a lot of talent at the cb and g spot still left.

I was curious what you thought of Coby Fleener? You seem quite draft savvy so I was wanting your input, Jason. As posted here;

Projected earlier this year as a 2nd rounder (not sure where he stands now or where he will stand after the combine), I see this as an excellent opportunity. As you said, it is likely time to move on from Dallas and perhaps a trade could be cooked up. Fleener provides a scoring threat as well as an increased blocking presence. Add to that the inherent value of providing Luck with some familiarity (regardless of Manning's outcome).

Being that he is a TE, many think he may slip later in the 2nd round, however, I believe parity may strike as many teams are looking for that big receiving TE to have their own "Gronk affect", so a team may move on him ahead of his projected slot. IF we retain Wayne, this seems to me to be the best option for providing immediate receiving help as well as much needed blocking from a pliable position.

I would like to see another OG drafted in one of the middle rounds.

Personally I do not feel comfortable with us selecting a guard in this years draft. We need immediate help on the line, perhaps garnered from FA. We don't need another guy that will sit for a year or two and perhaps never materialize as an NFL quality guard.

I like H. Smith, but agree that the 2nd pick of Rd 2 is too early to take him.

If there is a WR that perhaps slips out of the late 1st round, I'd look highly at that taking him. If Reggie leaves, I think WR becomes a big need postition.

If not WR -- I'd probably look to CB.

Completely agree. Although I think the team has much bigger needs than a WR, having one slip to pair with Luck for his early career would be ideal, hopefully a situation like cinnci had with the red rifle and green. If no good WR's are there, a CB or if a good NT is there would be great as well.

I think since the team has so many needs they should probably go with the best player available (excluding a couple of positions). There are more than 32 1. round prospects, especially if you take in to consideration that some teams will select a 2. round prospect in the first round because of need.

Coby Fleener

Projected earlier this year as a 2nd rounder (not sure where he stands now or where he will stand after the combine), I see this as an excellent opportunity. As you said, it is likely time to move on from Dallas and perhaps a trade could be cooked up. Fleener provides a scoring threat as well as an increased blocking presence. Add to that the inherent value of providing Luck with some familiarity (regardless of Manning's outcome).

Being that he is a TE, many think he may slip later in the 2nd round, however, I believe parity may strike as many teams are looking for that big receiving TE to have their own "Gronk affect", so a team may move on him ahead of his projected slot. IF we retain Wayne, this seems to me to be the best option for providing immediate receiving help as well as much needed blocking from a pliable position.

Very good post.

I agree with your analysis 100%, and I would be very happy to take Fleener with the 34th pick if available

Fleener provides a scoring threat as well as an increased blocking presence. Add to that the inherent value of providing Luck with some familiarity (regardless of Manning's outcome).

The thought of picking up Fleener in the 2nd or 3rd has been lurking around in the back of my mind for a while now. It would make a lot of sense if the 1rst pick goes as expected. The question is, can the Colts afford to take a TE over the other positions of need?

According to NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/c...?module=HP11_cp

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis: At 6-5, 350 pounds, Poe has the potential to be a force at the next level. If he excels during his workout in Indy, teams will view him as that late first-round pick from outside the BCS conferences (see: 2011 Jets pick Muhammad Wilkerson) and not a second-round "project" (like 2010 Giants second-rounder Linval Joseph -- though Joseph looks to be turning out just fine for the Super Bowl champs).

So, ironically, I guess we should hope he doesn't impress at the combine, because I doubt he's slipping into the 2nd round with a good performance.

The question is, can the Colts afford to take a TE over the other positions of need?

Yep. Thats the issue, our wide-ranging needs.

I was disappointed in the re-signing of Bullit last year. I thought they learned from Sanders to avoid oft injured players? I complained about the re-signing endlessly and sure enough, dude was a waste as he didn't play at all for us pretty much all year. So SS is a concern in my purview.

Everyone keeps parroting that we need receiving help, and the reflex is to default to requesting a WR. However we've seen from numerous examples that a top-shelf TE can add as much to the passing game as any WR in the game, even as a deep threat via the seam routes etc. What intrigues me about a TE as opposed to a WR is that we also add blocking to our offensive arsenal, effectively killing two birds with one stone.

My guess is that the Colts may have their eye on a TE in later rounds that they view as a gem in regards to what I have already said.

Yeah, no on taking a safety in the second round unless it's Barron. Besides which, Smith is projected to go as low as round 4 - 6 so this would be way too early on that guy. I think we should be looking for a NT or WR in round 2...possibly CB if there is one good enough. Previous posters have already mentioed Dontari Poe who I also like but Alameda Ta'amu is another great possibility and I don't see him falling to the 3rd round. There are a bunch of good WR's that I think would be solid pick ups in this round such as:

Kendall Wright (Baylor)

Mohamed Sanu (Rutgers)

Dwight Jones (NC)

Stephen Hill as a raw "developmental receiver"

The Combine will tell us a good deal about these receivers...the 40 times and the cone-drills are good ways to judge.

I really like Ta'amu, he was going to be my surprise pick in the draft contest. I watched him a lot this year and he is just a dominating player. People see Poe and his 350lbs and salivate, but Ta'amu is just as big, carries his weight extremely well (according to the senior bowl weigh in has some good tone as well) and played against top competition. Top of the 2nd is a bit too early for him, but I don't think he'd last past middle 2nd.

First let me apologize for saying the colts have the 1st pick of the 2nd. The reason I posted this is I have seen this kid play alot and as far as SS goes he is a beast. I agree with the selection of Poe IF he is there but if he is not (which I am betting he isn't) than I think this kid provides the best value at a position of need. Barron will most likely be gone as will the top 3 cb prospects and I dont think WR is a need especially if we tag or resign Reggie.

Completely agree with you on this! I have been saying for awhile now that I really want us to infuse this team with lots of young talent, and trading aging veterans is the best way to do this. Freeney and Clark are the two best options who we can get the most for. And if we draft a guy like Vinny Curry, we dont necessarily need Mathis so we could tag and trade him too like you suggested and let go of Wayne.

Gil Brandt has released his version 2.0 of his top 100 prospects ( http://www.nfl.com/c...ding-to-combine ).

Based on his list, depending upon how much variance there might be in the actual pecking order / verse needs department, the following players would seem to be realistically in the discussion ...

26. Kelechi Osemele, OT, Iowa State

27. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson

28. Mark Barron, S, Alabama

29. Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia

30. Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

31. Andre Branch, DE, Clemson

32. Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson

33. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia

34. Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame

35. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska

36. Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)

37. Orson Charles, TE, Georgia

38. Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama

39. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State

40. Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

41. Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall

42. Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

43. David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

44. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

45. Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest

46. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

47. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

Because of his medical issues (double hernia?), which will keep him out of the combine and maybe even his pro day, perhaps a highly rated "need" player like Alabama safety Mark Barron can fall to the Colts for their second round draft pick.

Completely agree with you on this! I have been saying for awhile now that I really want us to infuse this team with lots of young talent, and trading aging veterans is the best way to do this. Freeney and Clark are the two best options who we can get the most for. And if we draft a guy like Vinny Curry, we dont necessarily need Mathis so we could tag and trade him too like you suggested and let go of Wayne.

You can only move Mathis..Freeney is under contract, right...?

..and its a big money deal..

I like Harrison Smith out of Notre Dame. Good value and fills a need. What do you guys think?

http://insider.espn..../harrison-smith

That would be a good choice...

We have receivers...and we spent the top two drafts on lineman last year.

We'r OK at tight end and our receiver problems are based ion who we resign......

We were getting secondary people off the street last season... we have for a couple of years

We must address the defensive secondary..more than once.

I agree. If Poe isn't there then I'd like to get either Josh Chapman in the 3rd round or Kawann Short in the 3rd or 4th round. If we don't go with Poe at the top of round 2 then I'd say the best CB available or Mark Barron. I do like Harrison Smith though but I agree that top of round 2 is a reach. I think he'd be a value pickup in the 3rd round if we don't take Barron or another safety earlier. That's also assuming we don't get a safety in free agency.

Where have you been?

I agree that Poe will be gone. I too think we can wait 1 more year for receivers because I figure that it will take at least that long for Luck to get into the swing of things so why even think about offense right now...we need to get our defensive pieces in place. I'd be happy with Ta'amu and a corner in round 3, SS in round 4 and BPA in the rounds after that. I don't remember all the compensatory picks we have but they should be focused in Defense this year IMHO. If we pick up a guard along the way I would be happy there too.