Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Colts have a top 5 pick but unable to trade down....who do you take?

Thought I'd have a little fun with this.

Let's say the Colts stay where they're at draft position wise and there's no trade down available.

There's lots of good players available and a good chance most of the teams in front of them will be looking at quarterbacks (though no guarantee of course).

Who are the top 2 players that you would choose?

mine either:

1) Quenton Nelson

2) Bradley Chubb

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I think there will be opportunities to trade down with a top 5 pick. It's just if you're asking for too much that could prevent the trade from happening. 

But if I had to pick someone with the 5th overall pick, I'd go either Saquan Barkley or Nelson. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

First of all, I think there will be opportunities to trade down with a top 5 pick. It's just if you're asking for too much that could prevent the trade from happening. 

But if I had to pick someone with the 5th overall pick, I'd go either Saquan Barkley or Nelson. 

Oh I agree that there will be opportunity to trade down in reality...luckily this is just for the sake of argument and something to talk about until draft season really begins in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Haven't studied the draft yet. Why has Mcglinchley fallen so far? Did he regress a lot or something? I always wait until the college season is over to watch tape and work on the draft.

He got worked against Georgia and Miami pass rushers. The talk is that he struggles with speed rushers. Not to mention he isn’t even the best lineman on his team

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I have 2 options. 

1. Quenton Nelson OG 

2. Roquan Smith ILB

Nobody else interest me.

Barkley is great but you need a line first 

Pretty much how I feel. Not sold on Chubb or Key. I’d consider Connor Williams as well though.

Not sure at this point.  With the Bowl games still to come, its hard to say whos gonna be there.  But if a stud OL or LB is there, you get him.

Side Note: All I know is the Texans are gonna be hurting.  They dont have a 1st or 2nd, both in the top 10 of those rounds.  

Quenton Nelson! Why?

Colts Offensive Line is a mess since years and as a result you have your franchise QB seriously injured and with Luck the Colts game rise and fall so it is obvious that you have to everything to protect him. It's a no brainer even if it means to invest a top 5 pick in OL. Protect Luck is Priority Nr. 1

Quenton Nelson in my eyes is a blue chip player and the best OL in this years draft probably one of the best coming out the last years. I think you are not gambling by picking him plus he fills a huge need as I mentioned above. I think he is worth the nr. 5 pick even if you think a guy like Saquon Barkley would be the best player to pick.

You need a line to block, you need a line to pass protect and the Colts line is still a huge mess and you can't simply afford to get Luck hurt again. So go with Nelson he will improve our Line and that will improve our running game and you can afford to pick a back later in the draft that in combination with an improved line gives you a better production.

I'm against taking guards early in drafts since you can always find quality guards later in drafts and through FA. But the Colts don't have time to tinker with that kind of thinking right now. Especially with Luck still on the mend and the bevy of pass rushers in the AFC South. 

Gotta protect Luck. As much as this defense needs some star talent, I think Nelson just has to be the pick.

If they do go D though, Chubb is a fine option. 

15 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Bills are bad as are Denver and Texans, possible 5 and 11; but 3 and 13 would help in the draft

i know, but we barely hung on to beat Cleveland..... and I think the Denver game will be close but I do think they win.  the Texans will roll us.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:28 AM, csmopar said:

got a source? 

" Fitzpatrick is the intellectual soul of Saban's defense, the closest thing Saban has to a proxy on the field. Fitzpatrick can play every position in Alabama's defensive backfield, and he generally knows the complete mechanics of Saban's defense, whatever the formation."

" Scouts are nearly unanimous that Fitzpatrick—barring any unforeseen issues at the combinewill almost certainly be picked somewhere near the top of the first round of the NFL draft next spring. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah recently compared him to a bigger iteration of Arizona Cardinals cornerback Tyrann Mathieu"

Worth a read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741651-alabamas-minkah-fitzpatrick-has-nick-sabans-brain-in-an-nfl-stars-body

23 minutes ago, unvrsty07 said:

" Fitzpatrick is the intellectual soul of Saban's defense, the closest thing Saban has to a proxy on the field. Fitzpatrick can play every position in Alabama's defensive backfield, and he generally knows the complete mechanics of Saban's defense, whatever the formation."

" Scouts are nearly unanimous that Fitzpatrick—barring any unforeseen issues at the combinewill almost certainly be picked somewhere near the top of the first round of the NFL draft next spring. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah recently compared him to a bigger iteration of Arizona Cardinals cornerback Tyrann Mathieu"

Worth a read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741651-alabamas-minkah-fitzpatrick-has-nick-sabans-brain-in-an-nfl-stars-body

Nice read for sure. But if Nelson is there, I think we gotta go OL over DB.