Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do y’all want to target in free agency?

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, DaColts85 said:

I would love to grab either or both of Norwell and Pugh.  I would try and grab Chris Clark for RT as well and see about drafting a OT.  The line would be pretty much fixed.  If we only get one Guard then draft a Billy Price.  He is solid and he fits all 3 interior spots in case of injuries (mainly looking at Kelly here) and will be a 2nd guy.

Grab Anthony Hitchens and let Edwin Jackson come back and play for the other spot.  Look to draft someone here as well.

Grab a RB like Jeremy Hill or Carlos Hyde, not sure why people have hate for him.  These are both guys who can be a workhorse and run between the tackles.  Compliment Mack very well.

Grab a WR, probably will not spend a lot here (I doubt we go for a Landry or anything crazy priced), so I honestly see us signing Moncrief and Aiken again.  Let Rogers push both of them and you will more than likely have a new system and Luck back to help these guys.

Bennie Logan please.  Dee Ford please.  D-line and OLB addressed with allowing Mingo to go.  Or re-sign him for cheap and let him try for ILB and push for a spot.

CB I would shoot for the moon and go after Trumaine Johnson.  Re-sign Desir for a reasonable short deal and see what Melvin wants in case we do not get Johnson.

Overall dream list: Norwell OG, Pugh OG, Clark RT, Hitchens ILB, Johnson CB, Logan DT, and Jeremy Hill RB.

We have one of if not the worst WR group in the NFL why would you not want to put a focus on improving it . With even a average group our line will look a lot better and whoever is under center will take a lot less hits . 

2 hours ago, B~Town said:

We have one of if not the worst WR group in the NFL why would you not want to put a focus on improving it . With even a average group our line will look a lot better and whoever is under center will take a lot less hits . 

We have consistently miss used our WR's.  Next year with a new system, hopefully we highlight more strengths versus the long developing plays.  Better WR's would make our line look better?  No!  Better play calling would though.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

We have consistently miss used our WR's.  Next year with a new system, hopefully we highlight more strengths versus the long developing plays.  Better WR's would make our line look better?  No!  Better play calling would though.

I could see Moncrief having a bounce back year if he is retained since he should have Luck next year and a new offensive scheme that will hopefully allow our WRs to move all over getting them open more often. 

21 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I could see Moncrief having a bounce back year if he is retained since he should have Luck next year and a new offensive scheme that will hopefully allow our WRs to move all over getting them open more often. 

I agree!  I think what we have now will be the same next year.  Aiken is the only 50/50 in my eyes.  Another system can make guys look completely different, plus I just do not see Ballard spending money on the WR position.  More o-line, d-line, and LB's or CB's.  Just my opinion obviously.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree!  I think what we have now will be the same next year.  Aiken is the only 50/50 in my eyes.  Another system can make guys look completely different, plus I just do not see Ballard spending money on the WR position.  More o-line, d-line, and LB's or CB's.  Just my opinion obviously.

I really hope he comes back on a one year "prove it" deal.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, B~Town said:

I just don't see what you see in our receiving crew. If we can get an O-line that would protect the QB and make a pocket for him to pass in the receivers would look a lot better.

We all know what TY can do but without the QB having the time no receiver is going to be consistent.

The QB not having to use Doyle as much for a safety dump off would make the receivers numbers go up.

Once Indy establishes what type of offense and defense that will be run next year, answering this question will be easier...lol.  I have to think at least one offensive lineman will be signed though, who depends on scheme?

Just for chits and giggles, here is Spotrac's list of possible FA's for this coming off season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

Give me Hitchens and 2 guards.  Maybe Watkins if it's possible. If available I'll take Brown and Johnson as well.   Then take Barkley or Fitzpatrick at 3 or trade back and get Williams or Brown in top 10.

Priorities should be G, ILB, WR, DB in free agency and draft should have a heavy emphasis on OT, OLB, ILB, WR after round one.  Round one needs to be a playmaker player. Corner, running back, offensive tackle, outside linebacker or inside linebacker. Doesn't matter we just need a playmaker at one of those positions. 

Free Agent Priorities (not the same as team needs):

1. WR.  Colts desperately need a reliable #2 immediately and can't wait for a rookie draft choice to develop, unless there is a stud worthy of pick #3, which I don't think there is this year.

2. Safety.  Farley is the only reliable one and he's probably suited for being the first backup.  Butler, Green, and Geathers all have performance or injury issues, and we don't know what Hooker can do on a repaired knee.

3.  G.  One good vet is fine.  Let the other younger guys develop along with a high/mid round draft choice.

4.  CB.  A vet for insurance in case the good performances by Melvin and crew was an anomally.

Draft the ILBs, EDGE's, RB, G/OT and another WR and TE for rotation.

Havent started looking into the class much yet. But with the cap room we have.......Throw money at 3-4 superstars. The top G, WR, ILB, and maybe a CB. Then draft the hell outta some pass rushers. We can get a star, 15 sack beast like Chubb, and another EDGE rusher, G, or a beast sideline-sideline ILB in RD2. I want a Mack/Miller/Houston etc type EDGE rusher though no matter what. Then an ILB like KeuchleyWagner/Hicks, etc.

My early thoughts on FA are OFFENSE! The value just isn't really there on the defensive side of the ball. I think I can see us picking up a vet CB and a competing ILB, but the potential is there to bet big on a No. 2 WR, one of the best guards available, and a veteran RB all in one FA. Last year the off-season felt ALL about defense (with a need for RB depth and O-line of course). This year I see no reason why defense is more important than offense. We were just bad all around this year, and I'd love love to see us invest well into the side of the ball that automatically has the most potential because Andrew Luck is playing on that side.

In other words I'd be delighted with:

OFFENSE

Jarvis Landry- WR

Andrew Norwell-  OG

Jack Mewhort- OG (I don't think his market value is going to be too high, so I think re-signing for a modest rate is likely)

Carlos Hyde- RB

DEF

Trumaine Johnson- CB

Kevin Minter- ILB

Bring back Mevlin and/or Desir

Probably bring back Bostic

Bring us back some healthy safeties with a full off-season, get us a pass rusher in the draft, and above all a healthy Luck and I'd feel good just at looking at the early potential of us nailing this off-season.

On 11/29/2017 at 11:01 AM, The Peytonator said:

This place is a wasteland and with the season all but over, time to start thinking about everyone’s favorite time of the year; mock offseason time. We’re gonna have a ton of cap space this offseason and I’d like to see how everyone wants to allocate some of our funds. Ballard had probably the best free agency class I’ve ever seen for Indy last year, so if he can replicate that again I think we’re gonna be looking pretty solid next year. 

I think we can all agree that we need to find some Oline help. A lot of people want to draft Quenton Nelson but I’m not really sold on the idea. I’d prefer him over McGlinchey by a mile, but it’s not something I can fully agree to right now, although I haven’t sat around watching film of everyone yet. I’m leery of drafting a guard that early, especially one that is ONLY a guard. You don’t always get your bang for your buck. A few years ago Johnathan Cooper and Chance Warmack were supposed to be sure things in the early first round and they were both busts. I would much rather go the free agency route with our Oline. When you draft them it tends to take several years for them to hit their prime, and by then they’re on their next contract and on another team. I would like to go all in on Andrew Norwell. I’m guessing he’ll get around 10 million a year but we don’t need to take any half measures. After him I would go a cheap route and bring in Matt Tobin. He had a good year at guard for the Eagles a couple years ago and has been forced into playing tackle the last couple years. I’d let him duke it out with Haeg and Good for the two spots on the right side. I actually really like the development we’re seeing from Haeg and Good so far. Like I said, Olinemen take forever to develop and for being such young, late round draft picks, they’re showing some promise. 

After that I would like to see us bring in a receiver. If Moncrief stays for cheap I wouldn’t worry about anything more than depth, but at this point I’m okay with moving on from him. I don’t believe the play calling has done him any favors, and Brisset doesn’t look his way much, but I think a change would be better for both parties. I’d like to target Allen Robinson. He might be a little discounted because he’s missed the whole year, but I his potential is worth looking into. My guess is we could get him for a trial run at around 8 million for the year, or lock him up for a few years at 12 million. I’d love a WR corps of TY, Robinson, and Chester Rogers. 

The only other offensive position I would look at in free agency is RB, and I would never overspend there. If Dion Lewis could be had for cheap, like 5 million cheap, I’d look into it,  otherwise I’d look for some nice, supplementary signings. Jerrick McKinnon, Branden Oliver, or Kerwynn Williams might be good to look into on the cheap side. Gore won’t be here, and as much as I was stoked about drafting Mack, he hasn’t shown nearly enough to be a bell cow. 

On defense we’ve gotta address the LB position. For real. Jon Bostic has exceeded expectations, and for the last month has actually been good. For a similar contract I’d keep him for depth. Antonio Morrison should not be starting at all. There are some solid players we could target at the position, and it’s not a position we’ll have to spend a bunch on. I’m terrible at projecting their contracts so I’m not even gonna try. My ideal candidate would be Tahir Whitehead but I’d settle for Demario Davis, Todd Davis, Kevin Minter, or Avery Williamson. Sign two of those guys and we’re looking pretty good. 

At OLB I think we’re still in good shape for next year and there aren’t any good ones available in free agency other than DeMarcus Lawrence, and I’m not in favor of spending 15 million on a slightly above average edge player who balls out in a contract year. Sheard and Simon have been pretty good, Mingo is a nice rotational guy, and we’ve gotta give Basham a chance to develop. 

I don’t think we need to sign any secondary players other than some cheap depth. We just have to make sure we lock up Melvin. I was too high on Wilson to want to shell out a bunch of cash on a FA corner, but depending on price I would look into EJ Gaines. With our safeties we might as well stay out with Hooker, Geathers, and Farley. 

Dline is looking like a strength right now so no need to spend a bunch of money there. 

tldr; Andrew Norwell, Matt Tobin, Allen Robinson, Jerrick McKinnon, Tahir Whitehead, and Todd Davis 

I find it funny that 3 of the cheap running backs you mentioned were all cut by the colts (dion lewis, kerwynn Williams, Brandon Oliver)

42 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I find it funny that 3 of the cheap running backs you mentioned were all cut by the colts (dion lewis, kerwynn Williams, Brandon Oliver)

Resign- Vinateri, Mewhort(Only if cheap), Desir, Melvin(Don't over pay), Pearson(I believe filled in nice behind Kelly), Moncrief(1yr cheap to compete with FA for #2,3) Bostic(cheap)

If Gore chooses to return sign him. If not I like Alfred Blue or Jeremy Hill for cheap.

Have to push heavy for O-Line in FA, then a big WR and maybe a big CB pending Melvin.

I like atleast 2 hard pushes of these Norwell, G.Robinson, Pugh, Joeckel

#2WR- A.Robinson, Landry, J.Gordon

CB- Jenkins(Pay him if available)

ILB- Minter, T.Davis

Draft Bradley Chubb

The three big in-house FAs I’d re-sign are Melvin, Desir, and Vinitieri.  I’d let Mewhort, Gore (probably), Moncrief, Aiken, and Butler go.  Then, ideally, I’d love to pick up OG Andrew Norwell, ILB Avery Williamson, and WR Brice Butler.  A nominal starter at FS like Terence Brooks would be nice too until Hooker came back...

I can see why everyone is high on Norwell seeing as how he is one of the better guards in the game, but Pugh?  I’d rather take my chances drafting someone like Nelson (if we trade back a few spots), or a mauler like will Hernandez, or multi position players like Billy Price or Rankins.  

1. Norwell $10-12 million

2. Ziggy Ansah $12-15

3. Allen Robinson/Josh Gordon $5-8

4. Minter $6-10

5. Jimmy Graham $8-10

5 big names and will probably take around $50 million but fills 4 huge needs

if we do trade back maybe take Williams or McGlinchy (mid 1st) then Price in the 2nd.

AC, Norwell, Kelly, Price, Williams sounds like an elite o line. Luck, TY, Gordon, Graham, Doyle, Gore, and Mack would be unstoppable behind that line. 

Our Defense would be much better with ziggy and minter. Just need another good ILB and some competition in our secondary and we will be set on both sides of the ball.

Norwell and Pugh are pretty obvious targets. I'd be happy to break the bank (comparatively for guards) for both of them.

A more left field suggestions I would consider alongside that is Dontari Poe. Woods and Hankins were two of our best players and adding Poe to that rotation/lineup depending on the situation would really make the d-line a strength.