Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do y’all want to target in free agency?

This place is a wasteland and with the season all but over, time to start thinking about everyone’s favorite time of the year; mock offseason time. We’re gonna have a ton of cap space this offseason and I’d like to see how everyone wants to allocate some of our funds. Ballard had probably the best free agency class I’ve ever seen for Indy last year, so if he can replicate that again I think we’re gonna be looking pretty solid next year. 

I think we can all agree that we need to find some Oline help. A lot of people want to draft Quenton Nelson but I’m not really sold on the idea. I’d prefer him over McGlinchey by a mile, but it’s not something I can fully agree to right now, although I haven’t sat around watching film of everyone yet. I’m leery of drafting a guard that early, especially one that is ONLY a guard. You don’t always get your bang for your buck. A few years ago Johnathan Cooper and Chance Warmack were supposed to be sure things in the early first round and they were both busts. I would much rather go the free agency route with our Oline. When you draft them it tends to take several years for them to hit their prime, and by then they’re on their next contract and on another team. I would like to go all in on Andrew Norwell. I’m guessing he’ll get around 10 million a year but we don’t need to take any half measures. After him I would go a cheap route and bring in Matt Tobin. He had a good year at guard for the Eagles a couple years ago and has been forced into playing tackle the last couple years. I’d let him duke it out with Haeg and Good for the two spots on the right side. I actually really like the development we’re seeing from Haeg and Good so far. Like I said, Olinemen take forever to develop and for being such young, late round draft picks, they’re showing some promise. 

After that I would like to see us bring in a receiver. If Moncrief stays for cheap I wouldn’t worry about anything more than depth, but at this point I’m okay with moving on from him. I don’t believe the play calling has done him any favors, and Brisset doesn’t look his way much, but I think a change would be better for both parties. I’d like to target Allen Robinson. He might be a little discounted because he’s missed the whole year, but I his potential is worth looking into. My guess is we could get him for a trial run at around 8 million for the year, or lock him up for a few years at 12 million. I’d love a WR corps of TY, Robinson, and Chester Rogers. 

The only other offensive position I would look at in free agency is RB, and I would never overspend there. If Dion Lewis could be had for cheap, like 5 million cheap, I’d look into it,  otherwise I’d look for some nice, supplementary signings. Jerrick McKinnon, Branden Oliver, or Kerwynn Williams might be good to look into on the cheap side. Gore won’t be here, and as much as I was stoked about drafting Mack, he hasn’t shown nearly enough to be a bell cow. 

On defense we’ve gotta address the LB position. For real. Jon Bostic has exceeded expectations, and for the last month has actually been good. For a similar contract I’d keep him for depth. Antonio Morrison should not be starting at all. There are some solid players we could target at the position, and it’s not a position we’ll have to spend a bunch on. I’m terrible at projecting their contracts so I’m not even gonna try. My ideal candidate would be Tahir Whitehead but I’d settle for Demario Davis, Todd Davis, Kevin Minter, or Avery Williamson. Sign two of those guys and we’re looking pretty good. 

At OLB I think we’re still in good shape for next year and there aren’t any good ones available in free agency other than DeMarcus Lawrence, and I’m not in favor of spending 15 million on a slightly above average edge player who balls out in a contract year. Sheard and Simon have been pretty good, Mingo is a nice rotational guy, and we’ve gotta give Basham a chance to develop. 

I don’t think we need to sign any secondary players other than some cheap depth. We just have to make sure we lock up Melvin. I was too high on Wilson to want to shell out a bunch of cash on a FA corner, but depending on price I would look into EJ Gaines. With our safeties we might as well stay out with Hooker, Geathers, and Farley. 

Dline is looking like a strength right now so no need to spend a bunch of money there. 

tldr; Andrew Norwell, Matt Tobin, Allen Robinson, Jerrick McKinnon, Tahir Whitehead, and Todd Davis 

I did this before so I'll paste it here.

What we do know is the Colts will have 72 M in cap space and will lead the league in cap space this off-season.  Only Mewhort I would say is a must re-sign player of the players who will be Unrestricted Free Agents.

Colts should be very active in free agency and try to pick up filler players at multiple positions.  

In the 2018 Free Agency predictions I posted my wishlist which I am pasting here.

RB: Hyde - 2 years 8 M - 2 M Guranteed  

G: Extend Mewhort - 4 years/36 M - 10 M Guaranteed, Xavier Sua-Filo - 3 years 14 M - 4 M Guaranteed

WR: Watkins 3 Years 18 M - 5 M Guaranteed

ILB Kevin Minter 3 years 15 M - 5 M guaranteed, Exend Bostic - 2 years 3.5 M - .75 guaranteed

CB: Malcom Butler 3 years 35 M - 12 M Guaranteed

K: Prater 3 years 10.5M - 5 M Guaranteed

72.8 Cap space

-4 M - (Hyde)

-9 M - (Mewhort)

-4.6M - (Sua-Filo)

-6M - (Watkins)

-5M - (Minter)

-1.75 (Bostic)

-11.6M - (Butler)

-3.5 (Prater)

27.35 M in Cap Space remaining

- .6 M (Swoope -ERFA)

-.54 M (Edwin Jackson - ERFA)

26.21 M in Cap space remaining

Most of it still applies although I'm not sure if I'm as high on Mewhort given that apparently he's going to have some lingering problems.

I enjoyed your FA observations. I will let you name the names.

Yip, i would bet he grabs the best guard he can get to come here.

And he won't want Moncrief back. He will spend for a WR that can get open.

Somehow he will add a blocking TE.
Yes he will look for a vet RB.
He has to add a LB'er that can cover.

It will be interesting to see what he thinks of Bostic and Melvin.

I'll just throw some names out there, since it's still too early to say who will or won't actually hit the market. At RB, I'd make a play for Carlos Hyde if he doesn't get re-signed, otherwise go for a piece to a RBBC system like Orleans Darkwa, Damien Williams, Dion Lewis, etc. At WR, I think we should look to sign a true #2 like Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, or Jarvis Landry, and even if we made a move like that I wouldn't rule out bringing back Moncrief on a cheap deal. There isn't all that much in terms of OL options, so I think the draft should be where we focus on helping this unit the most. I'd try to bring back Mewhort on a cheap deal, and look for a guard like Andrew Norwell or Justin Pugh in free agency (I wouldn't rule out making both of those moves and then just needing a RT in the draft).

On the defense, the main position I'm looking at is ILB. There's a few options there, but my top 3 are Kevin Minter, Anthony Hitchens, and Zach Brown. I think we're pretty good along the DL and I like our OLB group for the most part (just need a young guy to develop as a pure pass rusher behind Simon and Sheard). I'd also say we're mostly good in the secondary (other than depth at CB), if we bring back Melvin and/or Desir. If we can't bring either of them back, there aren't really in CBs I'm in love with, so I'd prefer to look to the draft there.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I did this before so I'll paste it here.

What we do know is the Colts will have 72 M in cap space and will lead the league in cap space this off-season.  Only Mewhort I would say is a must re-sign player of the players who will be Unrestricted Free Agents.

Colts should be very active in free agency and try to pick up filler players at multiple positions.  

In the 2018 Free Agency predictions I posted my wishlist which I am pasting here.

RB: Hyde - 2 years 8 M - 2 M Guranteed  

G: Extend Mewhort - 4 years/36 M - 10 M Guaranteed, Xavier Sua-Filo - 3 years 14 M - 4 M Guaranteed

WR: Watkins 3 Years 18 M - 5 M Guaranteed

ILB Kevin Minter 3 years 15 M - 5 M guaranteed, Exend Bostic - 2 years 3.5 M - .75 guaranteed

CB: Malcom Butler 3 years 35 M - 12 M Guaranteed

K: Prater 3 years 10.5M - 5 M Guaranteed

72.8 Cap space

-4 M - (Hyde)

-9 M - (Mewhort)

-4.6M - (Sua-Filo)

-6M - (Watkins)

-5M - (Minter)

-1.75 (Bostic)

-11.6M - (Butler)

-3.5 (Prater)

27.35 M in Cap Space remaining

- .6 M (Swoope -ERFA)

-.54 M (Edwin Jackson - ERFA)

26.21 M in Cap space remaining

Most of it still applies although I'm not sure if I'm as high on Mewhort given that apparently he's going to have some lingering problems.

Definitely wouldn't be giving all that money to Mewhort at this point, but everything else is fairly agreeable. 

I would love to grab either or both of Norwell and Pugh.  I would try and grab Chris Clark for RT as well and see about drafting a OT.  The line would be pretty much fixed.  If we only get one Guard then draft a Billy Price.  He is solid and he fits all 3 interior spots in case of injuries (mainly looking at Kelly here) and will be a 2nd guy.

Grab Anthony Hitchens and let Edwin Jackson come back and play for the other spot.  Look to draft someone here as well.

Grab a RB like Jeremy Hill or Carlos Hyde, not sure why people have hate for him.  These are both guys who can be a workhorse and run between the tackles.  Compliment Mack very well.

Grab a WR, probably will not spend a lot here (I doubt we go for a Landry or anything crazy priced), so I honestly see us signing Moncrief and Aiken again.  Let Rogers push both of them and you will more than likely have a new system and Luck back to help these guys.

Bennie Logan please.  Dee Ford please.  D-line and OLB addressed with allowing Mingo to go.  Or re-sign him for cheap and let him try for ILB and push for a spot.

CB I would shoot for the moon and go after Trumaine Johnson.  Re-sign Desir for a reasonable short deal and see what Melvin wants in case we do not get Johnson.

Overall dream list: Norwell OG, Pugh OG, Clark RT, Hitchens ILB, Johnson CB, Logan DT, and Jeremy Hill RB.

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hyde will cost more then he is worth and Watkins has played like garbage for like the last 3 seasons 

No RB will make what everyone expects, even Bell.

Watkins...the last 3 seasons?  2016 he played half the year and that is his only "bad year".  2015 over 1,000 yards and 9 TD's.  2014, his rookie year, just under 1,000 yards and 6 TD's.  With little to no QB.  This season he was thrown into a system like Brissett.  Learn quick and on the fly.  He has had some good games and I would take him for sure to compliment TY.

Just my opinion obviously.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

No RB will make what everyone expects, even Bell.

Watkins...the last 3 seasons?  2016 he played half the year and that is his only "bad year".  2015 over 1,000 yards and 9 TD's.  2014, his rookie year, just under 1,000 yards and 6 TD's.  With little to no QB.  This season he was thrown into a system like Brissett.  Learn quick and on the fly.  He has had some good games and I would take him for sure to compliment TY.

Just my opinion obviously.

We shouldn't worry about a RB til we solidify this awful line 

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

We shouldn't worry about a RB til we solidify this awful line 

You have to worry about a RB regardless of Free Agency or draft.  If we draft o-line guys are you going to go short handed on RB's until it is "fixed"?  Gore is gone.  You have to re-sign Ferguson or he is gone (god bye to him).  re-sign Matt Jones or he is gone.  You have Mack and Turbin and that is it.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

You have to worry about a RB regardless of Free Agency or draft.  If we draft o-line guys are you going to go short handed on RB's until it is "fixed"?  Gore is gone.  You have to re-sign Ferguson or he is gone (god bye to him).  re-sign Matt Jones or he is gone.  You have Mack and Turbin and that is it.

Then get someone cheaper then Hyde or draft someone mid rounds again you don't need an elite RB anymore we will be fine I'm not even sure Mack wouldn't be a lot better with some actual blocking 

45 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Then get someone cheaper then Hyde or draft someone mid rounds again you don't need an elite RB anymore we will be fine I'm not even sure Mack wouldn't be a lot better with some actual blocking 

Yes Mack would be better with better blocking but he is not the type of RB that is going to pound in the line.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes Mack would be better with better blocking but he is not the type of RB that is going to pound in the line.

Our system isn't one that will feed a back to pound the line we need a shifty pass catching back. Now if we get the line set with good run blockers then I'd be all for getting a bruiser like fournette but til then not really wanting to watch our back slam right into the line for no gain or get a loss of 2 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

First, Hyde is not an elite back and will be paid well but not nearly that much.  To help any QB you need decent RB's and not just some random garbage to go with Mack.  Will we get Hyde who knows.  I would rather get Jeremy Hill anyways and not waste a draft pick at all.  

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hyde will cost more then he is worth and Watkins has played like garbage for like the last 3 seasons 

Watkins has been decent.  

Remember we just need a solid #2 to take some of the pressure off Hilton.  Moncrief isn't cutting it and seems useless outside the redzone.

We don't need him to go out there and be dominate.  We're looking for a #2.

Also remember a guy with the talent and production to be a #1 WR is not only going to want to get paid like one but they are not coming here.  A clear cut #1 like Landry for instance is not going to want to compete with Hilton for the ball and the starring offensive role.  

You need a guy who can fill in the shoes of a #2.  Be a roleplayer.  Take pressure off Hilton.

If we could get a #2 that could get a good 700 yards per season receiving, maybe 5 TD's or so with Luck as the QB I'd be thrilled.  

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

First, Hyde is not an elite back and will be paid well but not nearly that much.  To help any QB you need decent RB's and not just some random garbage to go with Mack.  Will we get Hyde who knows.  I would rather get Jeremy Hill anyways and not waste a draft pick at all.  

Exactly I don't really think he's that good but he will be one of the top backs available so he will cost more then I think we should spend on the RB position 

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Watkins has been decent.  

Remember we just need a solid #2 to take some of the pressure off Hilton.  Moncrief isn't cutting it and seems useless outside the redzone.

We don't need him to go out there and be dominate.  We're looking for a #2.

Also remember a guy with the talent and production to be a #1 WR is not only going to want to get paid like one but they are not coming here.  A clear cut #1 like Landry for instance is not going to want to compete with Hilton for the ball and the starring offensive role.  

You need a guy who can fill in the shoes of a #2.  Be a roleplayer.  Take pressure off Hilton.

If we could get a #2 that could get a good 700 yards per season receiving, maybe 5 TD's or so with Luck as the QB I'd be thrilled.  

Watkins will prolly cost more then a #2 WR should if he's cheaper then I expect then I guess I could get on board I just think he's injury prone and not as good as some thought he would be 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Exactly I don't really think he's that good but he will be one of the top backs available so he will cost more then I think we should spend on the RB position 

Who knows really.  This is the same song and dance each year.  The expectations of contracts for some players are much higher than what they get.  While others might get more than expected as well.

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

First of all RB's for the most part are a cheap position anyways. 

Secondly Hyde isn't an elite back anyways, he's more a middle of the road guy.  

The middle of the road kind of players which is about where Hyde is are going between 4 and 5 million for 1 year.  That's extremely cheap for a starter.  Remember a good kicker can now pull about 4 a year.  

You are looking at a player who's going to only be the cost of a good kicker.  

That's actually why I'm a believer in FA for RB's.  They are cheap.  You need draft picks for positions that actually cost money when they become free agents.  

Leonard Fournette for example is the #5 highest paid RB in the game ON HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT.

Find me another position on the field where a guy is #5 or higher in terms of pay and is on a rookie deal.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

First of all RB's for the most part are a cheap position anyways. 

Secondly Hyde isn't an elite back anyways, he's more a middle of the road guy.  

The middle of the road kind of players which is about where Hyde is are going between 4 and 5 million for 1 year.  That's extremely cheap for a starter.  Remember a good kicker can now pull about 4 a year.  

You are looking at a player who's going to only be the cost of a good kicker.  

That's actually why I'm a believer in FA for RB's.  They are cheap.  You need draft picks for positions that actually cost money when they become free agents.  

Leonard Fournette for example is the #5 highest paid RB in the game ON HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT.

Find me another position on the field where a guy is #5 or higher in terms of pay and is on a rookie deal.  

Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill would be a good upgrade for us next year, power runners.  I bet the contract for either would not be more than 3 yrs/$16 mil.  Maybe an added year or two but money wise they might hit $5.5mil a year or 6 mil tops.

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Watkins will prolly cost more then a #2 WR should if he's cheaper then I expect then I guess I could get on board I just think he's injury prone and not as good as some thought he would be 

To reply to your last post before this one: Hyde will be cheap not only because his talent is limited but because there is another good RB class in the draft.  

To reply to this post: Of course he's not as good as they thought he would be.  He was drafted to be an undisputed #1.

But that doesn't mean that he can't play.  

As far as injury prone:  He missed 0 games his rookie year, 3 games his 2nd year, 8 games his third year but has played in all of the games thus far this year.  

Remember an exceedingly small number of players outside of kickers and punters go for 4 seasons without missing any games.  I'd say he's about average in terms of injury history.  Not exceedingly durable.  But to me an injury prone guy is a guy that isn't going to make it past game 8 in any given year.  And in all but 1 year, Watkins has done that.  

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill would be a good upgrade for us next year, power runners.  I bet the contract for either would not be more than 3 yrs/$16 mil.  Maybe an added year or two but money wise they might hit $5.5mil a year or 6 mil tops.

Looking at the contracts as they sit now, I strongly doubt it.  

A 5.5 or 6M a year contract puts you inside the top 10 at the position in pay.  

Especially with the rookie RB class coming out now, I just don't feel those guys could warrant a top 10 contract.   

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Looking at the contracts as they sit now, I strongly doubt it.  

A 5.5 or 6M a year contract puts you inside the top 10 at the position in pay.  

Especially with the rookie RB class coming out now, I just don't feel those guys could warrant a top 10 contract.   

Yea you might be right with that.  My only assumption with those numbers is that the pay scale typically increases each year and you have someone setting the bar this year in Le'Veon Bell.  If he gets something close to 8 or 9mil a year (doubtful but crazy things happen, he asked for 11), other contracts will fall a little higher as teams try and grab good guys.  This could still easily be around 4 to 5 a year though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 1:01 PM, The Peytonator said:

This place is a wasteland and with the season all but over, time to start thinking about everyone’s favorite time of the year; mock offseason time. We’re gonna have a ton of cap space this offseason and I’d like to see how everyone wants to allocate some of our funds. Ballard had probably the best free agency class I’ve ever seen for Indy last year, so if he can replicate that again I think we’re gonna be looking pretty solid next year. 

I think we can all agree that we need to find some Oline help. A lot of people want to draft Quenton Nelson but I’m not really sold on the idea. I’d prefer him over McGlinchey by a mile, but it’s not something I can fully agree to right now, although I haven’t sat around watching film of everyone yet. I’m leery of drafting a guard that early, especially one that is ONLY a guard. You don’t always get your bang for your buck. A few years ago Johnathan Cooper and Chance Warmack were supposed to be sure things in the early first round and they were both busts. I would much rather go the free agency route with our Oline. When you draft them it tends to take several years for them to hit their prime, and by then they’re on their next contract and on another team. I would like to go all in on Andrew Norwell. I’m guessing he’ll get around 10 million a year but we don’t need to take any half measures. After him I would go a cheap route and bring in Matt Tobin. He had a good year at guard for the Eagles a couple years ago and has been forced into playing tackle the last couple years. I’d let him duke it out with Haeg and Good for the two spots on the right side. I actually really like the development we’re seeing from Haeg and Good so far. Like I said, Olinemen take forever to develop and for being such young, late round draft picks, they’re showing some promise. 

After that I would like to see us bring in a receiver. If Moncrief stays for cheap I wouldn’t worry about anything more than depth, but at this point I’m okay with moving on from him. I don’t believe the play calling has done him any favors, and Brisset doesn’t look his way much, but I think a change would be better for both parties. I’d like to target Allen Robinson. He might be a little discounted because he’s missed the whole year, but I his potential is worth looking into. My guess is we could get him for a trial run at around 8 million for the year, or lock him up for a few years at 12 million. I’d love a WR corps of TY, Robinson, and Chester Rogers. 

The only other offensive position I would look at in free agency is RB, and I would never overspend there. If Dion Lewis could be had for cheap, like 5 million cheap, I’d look into it,  otherwise I’d look for some nice, supplementary signings. Jerrick McKinnon, Branden Oliver, or Kerwynn Williams might be good to look into on the cheap side. Gore won’t be here, and as much as I was stoked about drafting Mack, he hasn’t shown nearly enough to be a bell cow. 

On defense we’ve gotta address the LB position. For real. Jon Bostic has exceeded expectations, and for the last month has actually been good. For a similar contract I’d keep him for depth. Antonio Morrison should not be starting at all. There are some solid players we could target at the position, and it’s not a position we’ll have to spend a bunch on. I’m terrible at projecting their contracts so I’m not even gonna try. My ideal candidate would be Tahir Whitehead but I’d settle for Demario Davis, Todd Davis, Kevin Minter, or Avery Williamson. Sign two of those guys and we’re looking pretty good. 

At OLB I think we’re still in good shape for next year and there aren’t any good ones available in free agency other than DeMarcus Lawrence, and I’m not in favor of spending 15 million on a slightly above average edge player who balls out in a contract year. Sheard and Simon have been pretty good, Mingo is a nice rotational guy, and we’ve gotta give Basham a chance to develop. 

I don’t think we need to sign any secondary players other than some cheap depth. We just have to make sure we lock up Melvin. I was too high on Wilson to want to shell out a bunch of cash on a FA corner, but depending on price I would look into EJ Gaines. With our safeties we might as well stay out with Hooker, Geathers, and Farley. 

Dline is looking like a strength right now so no need to spend a bunch of money there. 

tldr; Andrew Norwell, Matt Tobin, Allen Robinson, Jerrick McKinnon, Tahir Whitehead, and Todd Davis 

i agree on o-line free agents are the bet bet, too long have we waited for draft picks to develop there, this has got luck damaged

I'd pay significant dollars for quality O linemen in FA.  Specifically guards. That would be my main focus.  A lot of the other focus I think should be spent improving the WR position.  Then you can put most (not all) of your focus in the draft towards the defense again.   I think we should be in pretty good shape after this 2018 FA period and draft if we do it right.  The defense is already pretty serviceable as it is.  Just need to add another pass rusher and ILB(s).  I have no idea where Anthony Walker is in terms of his development.  We still have a depth guy like Edwin Jackson.  I'd get rid of Morrison and Bostic. We could stand to add another young CB or two into the mix.

Get rid of Moncrief and Aiken, get DeMaryius Thomas' contract and we should have someone to move around the field and play outside opposite TY plus be a good red zone target. Draft another RB, and WR in later rounds.

Get all your pass rushers and ILBs in the draft. Get a free agent OG and another one in the draft.

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Get rid of Moncrief and Aiken, get DeMaryius Thomas' contract and we should have someone to move around the field and play outside opposite TY plus be a good red zone target. Draft another RB, and WR in later rounds.

Get all your pass rushers and ILBs in the draft. Get a free agent OG and another one in the draft.

No offense but Thomas sucks. As much as people complain Hilton is inconsistent Thomas ranks above him in that category lol..also I wonder if Duke Johnson from the browns will be available I think he’s pretty decent  runner and receiver not sure if he’s a starter but I could see the potential 

50 minutes ago, will426 said:

No offense but Thomas sucks. As much as people complain Hilton is inconsistent Thomas ranks above him in that category lol..also I wonder if Duke Johnson from the browns will be available I think he’s pretty decent  runner and receiver not sure if he’s a starter but I could see the potential 

You look at production as opposed to who is throwing to him, if the ball is well placed etc.

DT is a "sheep", not a leader, he benefitted from Peyton and Tebow being leaders. He needs a leader to be the QB and I feel we have one in Luck. If we can get Denver to eat half the contract and give up only a 5th rounder in the process, it would be worth it. He has far better hands than Aiken has shown and is a better red zone target than Moncrief or TY, the upside outweighs the downside, IMO. He runs routes far better than Moncrief or Aiken and is not afraid to go in the middle in traffic either.

Plus, when Brock becomes QB, he goes to him and he gets 3 TDs in a row in 3 games, and catches well but when Siemian goes in there, Siemian forgets about him. It is a lot about QB there, IMO. Elway tried to trade him but the terms of the trade weren't what he liked. He might be more inclined to take an incentive based offer now that those attempts have failed (5th rounder to start with, 4th rounder if he makes Pro Bowl etc.). However, his age might be a problem with Ballard.

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You look at production as opposed to who is throwing to him, if the ball is well placed etc.

DT is a "sheep", not a leader, he benefitted from Peyton and Tebow being leaders. He needs a leader to be the QB and I feel we have one in Luck. If we can get Denver to eat half the contract and give up only a 5th rounder in the process, it would be worth it. He has far better hands than Aiken has shown and is a better red zone target than Moncrief or TY, the upside outweighs the downside, IMO. He runs routes far better than Moncrief or Aiken and is not afraid to go in the middle in traffic either.

Plus, when Brock becomes QB, he goes to him and he gets 3 TDs in a row in 3 games, and catches well but when Siemian goes in there, Siemian forgets about him. It is a lot about QB there, IMO. Elway tried to trade him but the terms of the trade weren't what he liked. He might be more inclined to take an incentive based offer now that those attempts have failed (5th rounder to start with, 4th rounder if he makes Pro Bowl etc.). However, his age might be a problem with Ballard.

True true but idk I’m never been sold on him Peyton made him look amazing but that’s Peyton. As much as I love luck we don’t focus on timing routes the way Peyton did so I’m not sure how DT would look for us outside of goal line situations. I’d hope luck can get healthy soon enough to possibly take or receivers on some get away like our “line” supposedly did to work on their timing and perfect some things.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:01 PM, The Peytonator said:

I am on board with going all in on Norwell as well. I think he is a perfect fit. I also like Allen Robinson as I think he would be the legit #1 receiver we need with size. I like Todd Davis too as a nice solid rangy ILB. I would not mind LeVeon Bell to help take pressure off of Luck but I went to school in Pittsburgh and I’m a bit biased. That would be my ideal offseason with a highly drafted guard and some pass rush help via draft or FA.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware that NFL teams can eat part of a contract as they can in baseball....

I don't recall a single NFL trade where that has happened.    Perhaps you do...   If so, if you could refresh my memory that would be great....

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware that NFL teams can eat part of a contract as they can in baseball....

I don't recall a single NFL trade where that has happened.    Perhaps you do...   If so, if you could refresh my memory that would be great....

Brock Osweiler, Broncos pay $775K while the Browns pay over $15 mil. of his contract.

Oh, sorry, Brock was cut before the guaranteed money was paid out, my bad.

DT would have to agree to re-structure then.