Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So What If There Was No Luck Or Rg

Warhorse

I rarely start a thread of this type, but I see so many who literally see PM as the walking...retired. I am not here to say that one should feel one way or another. I just ask one question....If there were no solid top first round QB selections available, and the top picks.....say the top 10 were skill positions and lineman, would you still be moving on from Peyton Manning? Think about this before you answer. Are your feelings for PM truly over because you think he is done, or because there is a convenient prospect to replace him? That would be the reason for my question.

I am genuinely interested to see how honest folks are with themselves about this. Can't wait!

I honestly have had a sickening feeling since Peyton went under the knife in September...

I also have felt a back up with potential should have been on the roster for a few years now. This isn't hind sight mind you, just common sense in a violent game.

So to answer your question, without the hope for Luck and Griffin, I would hope that there would be some run at the best availalble QB in the draft or an offer to Flynn?

I rarely start a thread of this type, but I see so many who literally see PM as the walking...retired. I am not here to say that one should feel one way or another. I just ask one question....If there were no solid top first round QB selections available, and the top picks.....say the top 10 were skill positions and lineman, would you still be moving on from Peyton Manning? Think about this before you answer. Are your feelings for PM truly over because you think he is done, or because there is a convenient prospect to replace him? That would be the reason for my question.

I am genuinely interested to see how honest folks are with themselves about this. Can't wait!

If we still had the #1 overall pick, I would pick the best QB available.

The facts remain: PM is going to be 36 this upcoming season, and is still rehabbing (aggressively) from his multiple surgeries, with uncertain arm strength.

From this, I interpret that the Colts need to move on, and not in the direction of a Painter or an Orlovsky. We cannot have last season repeated due to the same mistakes.

My feelings for Peyton Manning has nothing to do with this. I admire Peyton, and I am grateful to him for all he has done for the team. On top of that, I like him a lot. But these things do not blind me from what is necessary for the long term interest of the team.

First, are you saying if Peyton wasn't healthy would we move on? If so, I think it would depend on if they thought he'd ever be healthy. If they did, they'd probably go with the Big O for part of the season.

If you're saying that Peyton was healthy, then the answer would obviously be no. Maybe take a guy in the 3rd round since he'd be a backup for a while.

First, are you saying if Peyton wasn't healthy would we move on? If so, I think it would depend on if they thought he'd ever be healthy. If they did, they'd probably go with the Big O for part of the season.

If you're saying that Peyton was healthy, then the answer would obviously be no. Maybe take a guy in the 3rd round since he'd be a backup for a while.

I think he's asking if we know exactly what we know today. I say you roll the dice with Manning and take a QB in a later round to be the backup, not to be the starter. I wish this were the case because I'd rather have a whole board rooting for Manning to improve rather than many rooting for retirement.

With the top pick we are not talking about reaching for another QB. You take the best football player available regardless of position. I love Peyton so taking the top player does not affect how I feel about Peyton. If Peyton is 100 percent and the Colts can afford to keep him he will stay. If he is not healthy it would be in his best interest to retire. Regardless if Luck or RGIII was not available we would have to find a starting caliber QB someplace since it seems Painter can not do it. As luck would have it the Colts have the top pick and Luck and RGIII are the top players available. As Bill Polian said about Costanzo last year our need for the team intersected with the talent at the position.

To restate what I asked, it was for those who have moved on from PM, would you still be moving on in your mind and and heart if there wasn't a viable replacement atop the upcoming draft? I wasn't asking who we would take in replacement. I do appreciate the responses from everyone, but I think I know now what I was guessing. The people who have moved on because Luck is there, are not the ones responding to this thread. But I made them think.

Thanks especially to Peyton and Eli fan and Frog for getting the thread.

If I understand You right, You are asking, if some of fans would still like to see Manning walkin' away, if tehre was no Luck or RGIII.

As for me I always wanted Manning back, and Irsay to pick either Luck or RGIII, to assure next starter QB for colts. If there wouldn't be any QB on draft with such talent like them, I would get down to start seriously Tebowing for Peytons health. A pass-oriented team like Colts can't exist without an at least above average QB to run the offense, switching to rush the ball, but latter would be equal with suicide, we don't have any experience in this.

Perhaps my opininon isn't relevant, as I never wanted PM to go if he is ready to play. We shall thank God if PM is healthy and is back as a Colt.

To be honest, it doesn't matter if there was no Kalil, Luck, RG3, Claiborne, Richardson, etc. What matters is we are looking at an aging QB who has undergone 4 operations on one neck and is right now worth 28 million, and do not know if he will be able to play or not. No matter who we draft, that will still be an issue. So I guess my answer is in the middle. I don't want to boot PM out but if a business decision has to be made for the best of the organization, then the decision has to be made. Whether it's reconstruction of the contract or releasing him.

The fact is that Luck and RG3 ARE available so the question don't really matter. Why even ask the question? The situation has presented itself so you take advantage of it and draft Luck. I don't see the point in all the "what ifs" that are constantly thrown around. Who cares about the "what ifs" and just concentrate on the reality of the situation.

I've been saying for weeks now, what happens with Manning has very little if anything to do with Andrew Luck.

However, the possibility of getting an (allegedly) awesome quarterback to start over with makes it easier to deal with. It takes some of the sting off because at the very least it provides hope which I doubt anyone would have if we had no backup plan if Manning can't go or doesn't come back.

My heart and mind diverge on this point. I want Manning to stay a Colt until he retires, but I know there are too many factors playing against it, and it isn't likely (unless he hangs them up in the next couple weeks, which is also unlikely). Regardless of who we draft, we need to be prepared for the probability that this team will be without Manning. If not this next season, it'll be soon.

I don't care much for RGIII, however, if there was no Luck in this draft, I would be pulling even harder for Manning to return. Since there is a posibility of drafting Luck, I feel that the Colts and Manning can take their time with his rehab. He doesn't have to rush back. Rather, having a solid back-up in Luck could afford Manning more time to make sure that his body is right before he goes out to play.

i admire everything manning has done for the colts, but i believe he is done. I honestly do not see him coming back putting the same or even close to the same numbers up that he has been. as was stated by frog man hes 36, and recovering aggressively from neck surgery (4 of them) and dealing with arm issues.

The fact is that Luck and RG3 ARE available so the question don't really matter. Why even ask the question? The situation has presented itself so you take advantage of it and draft Luck. I don't see the point in all the "what ifs" that are constantly thrown around. Who cares about the "what ifs" and just concentrate on the reality of the situation.

I must say I can't agree anymore. You have to look at what's happening now

To restate what I asked, it was for those who have moved on from PM, would you still be moving on in your mind and and heart if there wasn't a viable replacement atop the upcoming draft? I wasn't asking who we would take in replacement. I do appreciate the responses from everyone, but I think I know now what I was guessing. The people who have moved on because Luck is there, are not the ones responding to this thread. But I made them think.

Thanks especially to Peyton and Eli fan and Frog for getting the thread.

I think that for a lot of people it definitely makes it easier to turn the page on the PM era when you have the opportunity to take Luck. IMO it doesn't come out of disrespect, or ill will, or any other area that you may draw negativity from. I think it comes from the overall uncertainty that surrounds PM right now. Be it his age, his health, his questionable # of surgeries, (most importantly to me) his salary cap hit moving forward, etc, etc, etc there are a lot of reasons that people are willing to move on and take Luck.

If Manning can show that he's healthy and they can work out the contract to suit PM and the Colts then I will embrace his return to this team without a second thought. That being said I still want them to draft Luck. PM can not and will not play forever and the chance that we wind up anywhere close to the #1 pick again next season with PM playing is very slim. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

I've been saying for weeks now, what happens with Manning has very little if anything to do with Andrew Luck.

However, the possibility of getting an (allegedly) awesome quarterback to start over with makes it easier to deal with. It takes some of the sting off because at the very least it provides hope which I doubt anyone would have if we had no backup plan if Manning can't go or doesn't come back.

Careful now....you're gonna start drawing out the bust/over hyped talk and how he'll never be as good as Manning. The PMFC won't stand for any hope without Manning.

I would like to see Manning back, but still draft Luck. But to answer the question, if there was no Luck, I would be saying pay the man the $28m and hope he is able to return. However, since Luck is an option, I say try to work something out to reduce that number, and if nothing can be done, "thanks for the memories and I hope you go win a SB wherever you go (unless you face the Colts in the Playoffs)".

On another note, Ponder was not hyped by the media. If anything the Vikings were criticized by the media for making such a reach. He was never projected to go anywhere near as high as he did.

The question is fair. I most definitely want to see Peyton go out on top as a Colt, if not, then I would like to see him retire as a Colt. That means, I don't have to watch him (in a different uniform) light up other teams next year b/c we couldn't work out a deal. All that side, Peyton's injury put us in this very predicament and now we have the 1st pick with two quality QB prospects on the table. I think you have to go with one or the other... You always go with the best player available for the biggest need you have. Our team has a ton of needs right now, and QB is certainly one of them.

If we still had the #1 overall pick, I would pick the best QB available.

The facts remain: PM is going to be 36 this upcoming season, and is still rehabbing (aggressively) from his multiple surgeries, with uncertain arm strength.

From this, I interpret that the Colts need to move on, and not in the direction of a Painter or an Orlovsky. We cannot have last season repeated due to the same mistakes.

I wouldn't. I'd probably trade down and try to add as much talent as possible at other positions. Add a more serviceable quarterback and hope we can win a few more games. But I'd have my eye on the 2013 draft and try to get Matt Barkley. I wouldn't reach for a quarterback that I didn't think was worthy of the #1 pick. I'd even go with Matt Flynn or another free agent.

In this scenario I would trade the pick for more picks and get a promising QB in one of the two/three first rounds. After that I would hope PM could come back and play/tutor the new QB before he eventually could take over the ropes or the team could find someone who could.

I think that without a top QB prospect it would be more important to get Payton back for a couple of years, but you would still have to start planning for the future without him (which might come sooner rather than later).

As it is now the Colts can move on with a top QB prospect, and then PM might not be needed as much.