Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Edge

NannyMcafee

Edge was a beast. I think he gets underrated a lot.  Take away that knee injury and let him play in this era and his numbers would be even more robust. Definitely one of my favorite Colts.  I swear he could have put up 300 yards against the Bears one of those years.  It was one of those games where our boys didn’t even play the 4th quarter.  Man I miss those days...

Pre injury Edge was deadly. Post injury he was still a great back who could grind you to death.

One of every Colts fans favorite player.

Still the best Monday Night Football intro ever, 'Edgerrin James, Every Down Back, The U'...

29 minutes ago, IinD said:

Pre injury Edge was deadly. Post injury he was still a great back who could grind you to death.

One of every Colts fans favorite player.

Still the best Monday Night Football intro ever, 'Edgerrin James, Every Down Back, The U'...

That’s it. EVERY DOWN BACK. I still remember that so clearly.  That felt like a subtle jab at Rickey Williams who wasn’t known for his receiving and typically came off the field on 3rd down. Edge did it all. 

With all the talent we had during the Peyton era, it’s kind of interesting when you look at it closer and realize Edge May have been our most complete football player...  He was a “complete” running back.

Peyton lacked mobility and the strongest arm. Reg and Marv (smaller receivers) & Peyton could all be limited by getting physical at the line of scrimmage.  Mathis and Freeney were both undersized and not great run stoppers.

Freeney moreso than Mathis as far as terrible stopping the run.  Bob wasn’t the greatest in coverage. There wasn’t anything Edge couldn’t do as a running back. He could run, catch, and block. Complete. 

Think of the the top notch backs that the U churned out during that era...  Edge, Gore, Portis, McGhahee.  I wonder if any other school has had a run of backs like that in such a small window?  Hell they had some pretty sick receivers from that era too. 

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

With all the talent we had during the Peyton era, it’s kind of interesting when you look at it closer and realize Edge May have been our most complete football player...  He was a “complete” running back.

Peyton lacked mobility and the strongest arm. Reg and Marv (smaller receivers) & Peyton could all be limited by getting physical at the line of scrimmage.  Mathis and Freeney were both undersized and not great run stoppers.

Freeney moreso than Mathis as far as terrible stopping the run.  Bob wasn’t the greatest in coverage. There wasn’t anything Edge couldn’t do as a running back. He could run, catch, and block. Complete. 

Think of the the top notch backs that the U churned out during that era...  Edge, Gore, Portis, McGhahee.  I wonder if any other school has had a run of backs like that in such a small window?  Hell they had some pretty sick receivers from that era too. 

I understand your point of view on Edge but cant agree with your assessment of Harrison being limited. He become the best WR in the league behind Rice in spite of his size.

Manning may not have had the strongest arm but that is not what matters. He had the ability to be one of the most accurate passers in NFL history.

With respect the NFL is not all about being physical at the line of scrimmage for the positions of QB and WR.

I took him as a rookie in our keeper fantasy league, and had him his entire Colts career.  

Still, my favorite line of his was when the Colts were scheduled to play a preseason game in Japan.  "The closest I'm getting to Japan is Benihana's".  Then, after Polian told him he was going, he had a great time there.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I took him as a rookie in our keeper fantasy league, and had him his entire Colts career.  

Still, my favorite line of his was when the Colts were scheduled to play a preseason game in Japan.  "The closest I'm getting to Japan is Benihana's".  Then, after Polian told him he was going, he had a great time there.

He always seemed to be smiling, even during the game. Loved his attitude.  

On 11/22/2017 at 11:36 PM, Smoke317 said:

No school can match that line up.  That's two HOFs over 6 years.  Good luck finding anything close.   This will sound weird, but Cal had a pretty impressive run of RBs.  Lynch in 2007.  Forsett in 2008.  jahvid Best 2010.  Shane Vereen 2011.  CJ  Anderson 2013.  No comparison to the U, but for such a crappy college team to have 4 RBs in the league and one that would have been a star if not for concussion issues is pretty impressive.  Lynch may still make the HOF before it's all over.

11 minutes ago, A8bil said:

No school can match that line up.  That's two HOFs over 6 years.  Good luck finding anything close.   This will sound weird, but Cal had a pretty impressive run of RBs.  Lynch in 2007.  Forsett in 2008.  jahvid Best 2010.  Shane Vereen 2011.  CJ  Anderson 2013.  No comparison to the U, but for such a crappy college team to have 4 RBs in the league and one that would have been a star if not for concussion issues is pretty impressive.  Lynch may still make the HOF before it's all over.

That is indeed a nice run of backs from Cal.