Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 5 ‘Way-Too-Early’ Free Agents for the Colts to Consider

Demario Davis is one player I would be really hopeful of signing. A proper athletic WILL that excels in space and coverage, he would give us a solution to a problem we have had with ILB's who are poor in coverage. A player like Cameron Smith could then be available in the 3rd round of the draft and that would give us an excellent and balanced starting ILB duo.

One of Pugh or (preferably) Powell would be an excellent pick up too. Draft, say Connor Williams and the right side of the offensive line is shored up.

2 free agents that probably wouldn't cost a huge amount but would be quality starters.

8 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Demario Davis is one player I would be really hopeful of signing. A proper athletic WILL that excels in space and coverage, he would give us a solution to a problem we have had with ILB's who are poor in coverage. A player like Cameron Smith could then be available in the 3rd round of the draft and that would give us an excellent and balanced starting ILB duo.

One of Pugh or (preferably) Powell would be an excellent pick up too. Draft, say Connor Williams and the right side of the offensive line is shored up.

2 free agents that probably wouldn't cost a huge amount but would be quality starters.

I don't know much about Davis, but he seems to be a player on the rise.

The Colts need a leader and game-changer in the middle of our defense.

Demario is a guy that could help this defense out tremendously and I don't think he'll break the bank.

Ideally getting all 5 of these guys would be amazing and would change this team immediately.  Now obviously we will not get all of them but I would love Ansah, Landry, and Pugh the most.  You somehow get Pugh and Norwell, this line has an immediate difference next year.  We have money let's just hope players want it.

I would love Landry but I can't see the Dolphins letting him walk.  I can see us making a move for Davis.  We tried last year for Brown and Minter and lost out on both.  Ansah makes a lot of sense so I can see us going after him.  After losing out on Zietler last year we need to come away with Norwell and or Pugh.  We have to upgrade the OL.  It has to be the top priority.  We have the money.  Ballard needs to convince them they should be Colts and pay them accordingly.  I'm really looking forward to him shoring up the OL like he did with our DL. 

Im not very high on Ansah. If youre not going to go all out on DeMarcus Lawrence, just use FA to finally fix the Oline and draft a pass rusher with your first pick. If you sign Lawrence, then use the first pick on an OL like Nelson. Im still not sold on Desir as a starting corner yet. I want him back as depth, but if you can upgrade, do it.

8 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Im not very high on Ansah. If youre not going to go all out on DeMarcus Lawrence, just use FA to finally fix the Oline and draft a pass rusher with your first pick. If you sign Lawrence, then use the first pick on an OL like Nelson. Im still not sold on Desir as a starting corner yet. I want him back as depth, but if you can upgrade, do it.

I don't see Lawrence hitting FA just like Landry.  If you can sign two starting OL in FA, like Pugh and Norwell then I could see us using our 1st. pick on a pass rusher. 

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don't see Lawrence hitting FA just like Landry.  If you can sign two starting OL in FA, like Pugh and Norwell then I could see us using our 1st. pick on a pass rusher. 

I agree, I do not see Dallas letting him go.  I hope we somehow get both Norwell and Pugh!  Leading into the draft we would have a huge area addressed.  We can draft an OT but wait until the 2nd and grab some top D talent in the first.

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They SHOULD keep him but you never know. They are not in a good place cap wise, plus they have to extend Zach Martin and plan for the inevitable Dak extension. You never know.

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

They SHOULD keep him but you never know. They are not in a good place cap wise, plus they have to extend Zach Martin and plan for the inevitable Dak extension. You never know.

So true, you never know.   Wouldn't that be something.   Would love to see him in a Colt's uniform.  

13 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Zach Martin is not a Free agent next year.  They do not have to technically worry about him or Dak.  This year they have a few guys they will want to bring back and inevitably can use the tag on someone like Lawrence if need be. 

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Zach Martin is not a Free agent next year.  They do not have to technically worry about him or Dak.  This year they have a few guys they will want to bring back and inevitably can use the tag on someone like Lawrence if need be. 

You are correct he is not, but you can extend someone prior to their fifth year option. They have been discussing an extension since August.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827611/article/zack-martin-cowboys-discussing-contract-extension

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

You are correct he is not, but you can extend someone prior to their fifth year option. They have been discussing an extension since August.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827611/article/zack-martin-cowboys-discussing-contract-extension

Right, I am just saying technically they do not have to worry about Martin this off-season.  In order to keep Lawrence they might not or they might just franchise Lawrence, who knows.  I doubt they let him go anywhere.  They are pretty tight on cap though that is for sure.

If we could somehow swing both Pugh and Norwell we would have a huge impact right away with the line.  Add to that Davis and Ansah, and you are addressing some key areas.  I would then possibly let Mingo and Bostic walk, or keep Mingo for another low contract as solid depth and someone you can try at ILB during camp and pres-season.  Depth is always important!

To that I would add that we need to keep some of our guys, like Melvin (depending on contract), Desir, Moncrief, and obviously Vinny!

The draft could become a wide open true BPA type draft.  Our team could look very different again next year with some key additions, including Luck!

I would love to get Landry but I don't think Miami will let him walk.  Assuming they retain him my attention turns to Sammy Watkins.  He's young and would be the player Dorsett was supposed to be.  We actually had Jeffrey in last year and he went elsewhere and signed a one year deal.  I would pass on the older Jeffrey and go after Watkins and retain Moncrief.  Andrew would have fun with Hilton, Watkins, Moncrief, Doyle et al.