Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It Is Unsafe To Be A Colts Quarterback

jszfunk

While this article isnt wrong. I do believe there are things within the play calling that can be done to protect QBs. Such as a quick passing attack. Guys like Brady, Brees, and Peyton Manning excelled at this. You always heard of elite pass rushers get frustrated with how fast the ball was out of their hands. Why cant we implement this type of attack. Quick mesh/crossing routes and screen plays would keep the defensive front 7 from pinning their ears and killing our qbs.

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

Peyton and Brady also hit the deck most of the time when they see a pass rusher within arm's reach. Protect yourself to live another down. There's some technique still to be learned for Brissett and Luck.

Very true, neither of those guys minded folding up like lawn chairs, it enabled long careers.

From the Doyel article:

In the fourth quarter, after being speared gently in the helmet, Brissett was 2-for-6 for 13 yards, no TD’s and one INT.

How is one speared gently? That's like saying he was lightly shot in the arm. 

Watching that play again...that plays look kind of dirty. Brissett is already on his way down and Tuitt lowers his head and doesn't even extend his arms.

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

From the Doyel article:

How is one speared gently? That's like saying he was lightly shot in the arm. 

Watching that play again...that plays look kind of dirty. Brissett is already on his way down and Tuitt lowers his head and doesn't even extend his arms.

I believe it is called sarcasm.

The article is right.  Between the play calling and poor play you are just bound to get hurt as a Colts QB.  I really cannot blame Luck if it is true that a lot of it is in his head.  Would you be overly excited about coming back to this team after watching Brissett get the crap kicked out of him week in and week out.

1 hour ago, Thewholefnshow28 said:

I believe it is called sarcasm.

The article is right.  Between the play calling and poor play you are just bound to get hurt as a Colts QB.  I really cannot blame Luck if it is true that a lot of it is in his head.  Would you be overly excited about coming back to this team after watching Brissett get the crap kicked out of him week in and week out.

I didn't read the Doyel article, so that quote just looked funny out of context.

I agree with this article. And while some of this is on the QB taking too long, I don't think it's a coincidence that they (Luck and Brissett) play in the same system.

6 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Been going on for the better part of a decade now. 

Who remembers this gem?

This seems to be an almost ignored fact.  Polian let the offensive line deteriorate over time and by his last year here Peyton was constantly under pressure.  Trading Manning to Denver may have saved his life (figuratively).

Here we are all these many seasons later and we still end up with our starting QB's being the most abused in the NFL.  To paraphrase an old political statement: It's the Offensive Line, Stupid!