Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Tell Luck Not To Throw

I like the combine for some of the measurables: 40 time, shuttle run, cone drills, broad jump, bench press, body composition, etc....and the interviews are a must. A lot of information about a player is gleaned from those interviews. Remember Peyton's (I believe it was at the combine..) "If you don't draft me I'm going to kick your a** for the next 15 years....lol.

That said, too often scouts/GMs fall in love with "combine warriors" like Mike Mamula, Tony Mandarich, etc....and that can really hurt a franchise. I think that's where Polian excelled (up until the last several years); he looked beyond measurables and had a knack for grabbing overlooked players who didn't have a 40 time that was consistent with their position, or were a little unpolished, etc.

So the combine is needed to see what players have physically, but it's not the end all be all.

Let's hope Grigson is as good a talent evaluator as people say he is....

Let's hope Grigson is as good a talent evaluator as people say he is....

That's the thing I'm concerned about the most. Being a scout is different from being a talent evaluator and having to choose between two players. A scout can compile a list of 30 players and say "all these guys are good." A GM has to choose which of those 30 guys he's going to add to his team, and he can't add them all.

Sounds like baloney to me. Is Luck under contract by the Colts? If not, then why would he consent to such a stupid request, not to throw at the combine. Either Luck has decided he does not need to throw at the combine, (why would he decide that?) or he has injured his arm and does not want to agravate the injury. Andrew will be the 1st QB off the board in most of the prognosis' I've seen. Other than Luck it would be RG3 in most opinions.

Sounds like a dumb twitter to me, by Kravitz.

He severely injured his arm in drills two weeks ago.....................And i'm seriously lying (pulling your leg),,,,, He is property of the Colts for the most part and that's why he will not be throwing, Luck knows the Colts are going to draft him.

Between Kravitz and BBS - give me a break. The Colts have absolutely no right to tell any college player what to do. They are phrasing it that way to make a story out of nothing.

Maybe Lucks agent contacted several of the teams that might potentially end up with him (or even just the Colts, who knows) and asked if they needed to see him throw at the combine as a courtesy before doing what (as many have said) most highly touted QBs do anyway. Even if the Colts did proactively reach out to him they likely did the same thing to Griffin, and it was just a "don't bother throwing there on our account", not an order. They don't have the right.

I love BBS's references to his Aunt and wife's journalism experience. They must be so proud.

Thank god for the voice of reason.

In addition, I was standing in the grocery line and a magazine quoted Kravitz as saying that Jennifer Aniston was either breaking up or pregnant from someone.

If the Colts have actually asked Luck not to throw, I would look at it as this: Andrew Luck is projected to be the first pick of the draft. If the Colts have already made up their mind in drafting Luck, then it really wouldn't matter how well he performed at the combine. However, if the Colts were entertaining the idea of trading the pick, then they would have incentive for Luck not to throw, as it has been discussed that he would have nothing to gain and much to lose by throwing. If he throws badly and his draft status drops, it lowers his ability for a big trade, which would have an adverse effect on the Colts. This is the only reason why I could see the Colts asking Luck not to throw.