Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Tell Luck Not To Throw

Sounds like baloney to me. Is Luck under contract by the Colts? If not, then why would he consent to such a stupid request, not to throw at the combine. Either Luck has decided he does not need to throw at the combine, (why would he decide that?) or he has injured his arm and does not want to agravate the injury. Andrew will be the 1st QB off the board in most of the prognosis' I've seen. Other than Luck it would be RG3 in most opinions.

Sounds like a dumb twitter to me, by Kravitz.

Sounds like baloney to me. Is Luck under contract by the Colts? If not, then why would he consent to such a stupid request, not to throw at the combine. Either Luck has decided he does not need to throw at the combine, (why would he decide that?) or he has injured his arm and does not want to agravate the injury. Andrew will be the 1st QB off the board in most of the prognosis' I've seen. Other than Luck it would be RG3 in most opinions.

Sounds like a dumb twitter to me, by Kravitz.

Top rated quarterbacks often forgo throwing at the Combine. Guys with questions marks (Tebow, Newton) often throw just to make a point.

Mike Mayock says a lot of coaches and scouts don't care about QB accuracy in the combine anyways, since they're throwing to people they're unfamiliar with. The coaches and scouts only care about the throwing delivery and footwork, which the Colts will see at the Pro Day anyways. Plus, they've got more than enough college tape to work from.

So telling Luck not to throw at the combine isn't a big deal, nor is it a big deal if he does decide to throw. I am curious what his 40 time would be, but I think the Colts could care less - they'd rather he be a pocket QB with an ironman streak.

Tannehill = Foot still healing from surgery and thus he cannot throw.

Luck not throwing to me is not a huge deal, but how he moves in the other drills do matter in my opinion. He's still got his pro day to show throwing.

Mike Mayock says a lot of coaches and scouts don't care about QB accuracy in the combine anyways, since they're throwing to people they're unfamiliar with. The coaches and scouts only care about the throwing delivery and footwork, which the Colts will see at the Pro Day anyways. Plus, they've got more than enough college tape to work from.

So telling Luck not to throw at the combine isn't a big deal, nor is it a big deal if he does decide to throw. I am curious what his 40 time would be, but I think the Colts could care less - they'd rather he be a pocket QB with an ironman streak.

I think Mayok is spot on. How are you going to get an adequate gauge of a guys timing and accuracy when he is throwing to guys he has never worked with. In the league, Luck will be throwing to his same WRs over and over again. That is why the Pro Day tends to be more important. I am sure what the Colts will be more concerned with is the mental aspect of the combine when it comes to Luck.

They will probably push him mentally to see how he reacts and how he handles situations.

Players feel more comfortable at pro days with their receivers. No big deal. What else does Luck have to gain? He will do some drills (like the 40) at the combine. And throw at his pro day.

Exactly right....he's already the No.1 prospect...all he can do is raise doubts...

He's going to be picking out his condo in Broad Ripple...and picking up his Pacers playoff tickets

..wont have time to throw...

I agree it is not out of the ordinary that top prospects dont throw...but i think its out of the ordinary that the team with # 1 pick asks him not to...and that the player agrees not to.

thats werd

Everyone knows Andrew is a Colt next year. It's just a matter if he'll start or not.

Between Kravitz and BBS - give me a break. The Colts have absolutely no right to tell any college player what to do. They are phrasing it that way to make a story out of nothing.

Maybe Lucks agent contacted several of the teams that might potentially end up with him (or even just the Colts, who knows) and asked if they needed to see him throw at the combine as a courtesy before doing what (as many have said) most highly touted QBs do anyway. Even if the Colts did proactively reach out to him they likely did the same thing to Griffin, and it was just a "don't bother throwing there on our account", not an order. They don't have the right.

I love BBS's references to his Aunt and wife's journalism experience. They must be so proud.

Between Kravitz and BBS - give me a break. The Colts have absolutely no right to tell any college player what to do. They are phrasing it that way to make a story out of nothing.

Maybe Lucks agent contacted several of the teams that might potentially end up with him (or even just the Colts, who knows) and asked if they needed to see him throw at the combine as a courtesy before doing what (as many have said) most highly touted QBs do anyway. Even if the Colts did proactively reach out to him they likely did the same thing to Griffin, and it was just a "don't bother throwing there on our account", not an order. They don't have the right.

I love BBS's references to his Aunt and wife's journalism experience. They must be so proud.

I don't read that clown anymore. He's on my permanent DNR list, along with Whitlock and Florio.

They want to keep it a secret that they surgically grafted Manning's laser guided rocket arm onto Luck....

Arm, forget the arm. Surgically trade brains between Luck and Manning. Thats all we need. We have the body in Luck and the Brain in Manning.. this could work..

Personally, I really don't like it when a QB doesn't throw at the combine. I know there are other factors involved, but the first thing I think of when I hear a QB is not going to throw is that he is scared. New environment, new WRs, etc. This is just a chance for all the scouts to see you on a neutral field instead of a field you're used to with receivers you're used to

Thank you for this by the way.

I'd been struggling all afternoon to figure out why on earth we would try to convince him not to throw at the combine. I couldn't come up with a single logical reason, however, this explaination makes far more sense.

I'm pretty confused, so the Colts told Luck not to throw? I never knew the players had to listen to the teams, does this in any way reinforce that the Colts will draft Luck? You have to team with the #1 draft pick telling the pretty much given #1 pick not to throw. I understand many QBs haven't thrown at the combine, but it just seems odd to me. I'm not that familiar with the combine though.

I've always thought it came off as diva-esque, or "I'm so good I don't need to throw at the combine"....but I realize now that top QBs are going to do better with the players they are familiar with, and scouts are going to get a better read of a guy when he's throwing to guys he knows vs. unknowns. What still bothers me is healthy non QBs that don't work out at all at the combine and save it for their pro days...sometimes just to get a better 40 time. That's lame...

I think it's a disconnect between what the scouts are looking for and what the QBs think they are looking for. The non-big name QBs have everything to gain, and the big names probably feel that have everything to lose. I get why they don't and I don't hold it against them, but I don't it'd hurt if he threw.

RGIII is contemplating the thing.