Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tri-Fecta: Ballard Joining Pat McAfee Noon Release Time

TheMarine

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

As much as I liked McAfee as a player, I don’t care for the vulgarity. I still thought it was a good interview. I like Ballard’s calmness and honesty.

He is in stand up comedy and the Bar Stool Sports world, it is par for the course. :) 

Did anyone think that Dakich, a Grigson lover, promptly followed with McAfee, a Grigson despiser, was just good medicine for a lot of fans? :) 

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He is in stand up comedy and the Bar Stool Sports world, it is par for the course. :) 

Did anyone think that Dakich, a Grigson lover, promptly followed with McAfee, a Grigson despiser, was just good medicine for a lot of fans? :) 

Allegedly

Ballard was actually honest about Davis' release.  Most would just give the generic answer "we had to do what was best for the team and Davis as a player" nonsense that we hear all the time.  But when Pat gave him a straight question, Ballard answered him just as straight. (even though he did hesitate on it..lol)

He didn't answer the "what has been your biggest mistake" question honestly though.  But I think that is because that person and/or player is still with the team.  And you cannot 'dog' your own while they are still under your roof,...atleast not publicly.

I really liked the question about leaders in the locker room following the era of great leaders such as Manning, Mathis, Brackett etc.. Ballard said Mathias Farley, Clayton Geathers, and Ryan Kelly are players who (could) have that voice.

I was really wanting him to say Luck as well, but....

I will also say Pat McAfee is exactly where he needs to be lol he’s 100% Bar Stool.

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pagano at this time has no business with a mic in front of him. You know dang well what ever media person ask the questions it would end up about his job. No matter what the turnout is for Pagano putting him on the spot wouldn't be right. Irsay and Ballard are the ones who needs to address that when the time comes.

Coaches have coach speak, we all know this. Yet we watch and hope for something different each time... all while knowing that won't be the case.  That's what fans do.  Chuck has won a lot of games here, and I've not been one carrying pitchforks and torches concerning him.  However, when I think about the vision he imparted to us fans early on (like for one, building the monster), and listening to him speak after games, I cannot help but conjure up this image-

Maybe it is time for Ballard to totally rework our systems. (Scouting, coaching, and player personnel).

16 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Agreed! Most people will never completely understand just how brilliant Bill Polian was. 

Many newer Colts fans don't know Bill's history.  Ive seen the posts where it was claimed Peyton Manning made Polian.  But they left out Jim Kelly (HOF QB too).  Oh, and what about (non Colts version) Kerry Collins in 1996?  Here's a brief synoposis of Polian's past-

CFL - He produced two Grey Cup winners:

Montreal Alouhettes
Winnipeg Blue Bombers

NFL -

Buffalo Bills -

3 straight Super Bowls!  EoY twice.

Carolina Panthers -
NFC Championship game. This in just the Panthers second year of existence!

Colts- 1998 - 2011
     (we all know and lived this story)

On October 21, 2012, Polian became the 28th inductee into the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame
On January 31, 2015, it was announced that Polian had been elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame
On January 1, 2017, Polian became the 13th inductee into the Indianapolis Colts Ring of Honor

Bill can still be heard on SiriusXM NFL Radio at night at times on a show called Late Hits.  Usually hosted by Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt . I've heard Mark Dominik on there as well.  Lots of knowledge and success brought to the table between the two guys. (Brandt and Polian)

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Coaches have coach speak, we all know this. Yet we watch and hope for something different each time... all while knowing that won't be the case.  That's what fans do.  Chuck has won a lot of games here, and I've not been one carrying pitchforks and torches concerning him.  However, when I think about the vision he imparted to us fans early on (like for one, building the monster), and listening to him speak after games, I cannot help but conjure up this image-

Maybe it is time for Ballard to totally rework our systems. (Scouting, coaching, and player personnel).

Many newer Colts fans don't know Bill's history.  Ive seen the posts where it was claimed Peyton Manning made Polian.  But they left out Jim Kelly (HOF QB too).  Oh, and what about (non Colts version) Kerry Collins in 1996?  Here's a brief synoposis of Polian's past-

Montreal Alouhettes
Winnipeg Blue Bombers

NFL -

Buffalo Bills -

Carolina Patners -

Colts- 1998 - 2011

On October 21, 2012, Polian became the 28th inductee into the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame
On January 31, 2015, it was announced that Polian had been elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame
On January 1, 2017, Polian became the 13th inductee into the Indianapolis Colts Ring of Honor

Bill can still be heard on SiriusXM NFL Radio at night at times on a show called Late Hits.  Usually hosted by Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt . I've heard Mark Dominik on there as well.  Lots of knowledge and success brought to the table between the two guys. (Brandt and Polian)

Bringing up the Panthers going to the NFC championship game in their 2nd year of existence cant be compared to a new NFL starting let's say like Baltimore or Cleveland. When the Panthers and the Jags started other NFL teams were forced to give those teams players from their rosters. They didn't start from scratch.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Bringing up the Panthers going to the NFC championship game in their 2nd year of existence cant be compared to a new NFL starting let's say like Baltimore or Cleveland. When the Panthers and the Jags started other NFL teams were forced to give those teams players from their rosters. They didn't start from scratch.

Hmmm... I think your memory is foggy.  Yes, the Panthers and Jags got to choose from a list of players from other teams, (but they were lowest 6 unprotected from each team) yet they were not the big time players.  Also, the Ravens were previously the Browns (coached by Belichick until the move) and needed no expansion draft.  Then in 1999 the 'new Browns' also got an expansion draft selection from a list of unprotected players (around 150) from other NFL teams.  So it is very much an accomplishment.  The league has always had (AFAIK) and expansion draft for new teams to help them be competitive more quickly.

I'm over Pat.  He's just not that funny anymore.

and whats withball the F-bombs?  Is that supposed to be cool or funny?  All it does is chip away at any journalistic bone he may have.

pat has been affected by bad NE based humor (barstoolsports).

what a shame...: he went from a Goat to a Clown.

32 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Hmmm... I think your memory is foggy.  Yes, the Panthers and Jags got to choose from a list of players from other teams, (but they were lowest 6 unprotected from each team) yet they were not the big time players.  Also, the Ravens were previously the Browns (coached by Belichick until the move) and needed no expansion draft.  Then in 1999 the 'new Browns' also got an expansion draft selection from a list of unprotected players (around 150) from other NFL teams.  So it is very much an accomplishment.  The league has always had (AFAIK) and expansion draft for new teams to help them be competitive more quickly.

There WERE big time players.  Many teams used this to offer up older high-priced vets.  Tony Boselli is one i can remember.  It by no means was a list of the worst players on each team. Many teams used it to try to free up cap space.

23 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm over Pat.  He's just not that funny anymore.

and whats withball the F-bombs?  Is that supposed to be cool or funny?  All it does is chip away at any journalistic bone he may have.

pat has been affected by bad NE based humor (barstoolsports).

what a shame...: he went from a Goat to a Clown.

Diffeent people have a different sense of humor. I think he is hilarious and enjoy his pod cast. As far as the ^^^ it's likely a generational thing

31 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

There WERE big time players.  Many teams used this to offer up older high-priced vets.  Tony Boselli is one i can remember.  It by no means was a list of the worst players on each team. Many teams used it to try to free up cap space.

I used these to double check my recall.

For Panthers and Jags:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NFL_expansion_draft

For Cleveland Browns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NFL_expansion_draft

Here's the players Carolina got-

Rod Smith, Harry Boatswain, Kurt Haws, Tyrone Rodgers, Mark Thomas, TimMcKyer, Curtis Whitley, Howard Griffith, Greg Kragen, Cary Brabham, Dave Garnett, Andre Powell, Dewell Brewer, Bob Christian, Fref Foggie, Mark Carrier, Mark Rodenhauser, Steve Hawkins, Brian O'Neil, Derrick Lassic, Richard Buchanan, Doug Pederson, Vince Marrow, Larry Ryans, Baron Rollins, William Sims, Paul Butcher, Jack Trudeau, Charles Swan, David Mims, Shawn Price, Eric Guilford, Bill Goldberg, Eric Ball, and Mike teeter.

Also pulled from this site-

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/1995-draft-exp

I only recognize a few of those names.  Certainly not a list I expect to make a conference champion contender out of within the next year. Didn't see Boselli on any list, either, though.

As for the interview, I enjoyed it, but could do without all the f bombs that were dropped,

53 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:
8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I used these to double check my recall.

For Panthers and Jags:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NFL_expansion_draft

For Cleveland Browns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NFL_expansion_draft

Here's the players Carolina got-

Rod Smith, Harry Boatswain, Kurt Haws, Tyrone Rodgers, Mark Thomas, TimMcKyer, Curtis Whitley, Howard Griffith, Greg Kragen, Cary Brabham, Dave Garnett, Andre Powell, Dewell Brewer, Bob Christian, Fref Foggie, Mark Carrier, Mark Rodenhauser, Steve Hawkins, Brian O'Neil, Derrick Lassic, Richard Buchanan, Doug Pederson, Vince Marrow, Larry Ryans, Baron Rollins, William Sims, Paul Butcher, Jack Trudeau, Charles Swan, David Mims, Shawn Price, Eric Guilford, Bill Goldberg, Eric Ball, and Mike teeter.

Also pulled from this site-

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/1995-draft-exp

I only recognize a few of those names.  Certainly not a list I expect to make a conference champion contender out of within the next year. Didn't see Boselli on any list, either, though.

The Jags and the Panthers also got pick #1 and #2 in the draft.

14 minutes ago, twfish said:

Diffeent people have a different sense of humor. I think he is hilarious and enjoy his pod cast. As far as the ^^^ it's likely a generational thing

Oh , believe me, i can appreciate a good ^^^.  I use them when necessary.  But when over-used, it just makes one look stupid and immature.  It takes away from what is being said, and strips away any credibility, imo.  I just dont find him funny anymore.  

I don't think it's that Ballard's mic wasn't close enough to his face (although I agree it could have been), but I also think it was a combination of his mic not being as loud. I'd love to know what the results would have been if him and Pat had switched mics.

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Montreal Alouhettes
Winnipeg Blue Bombers

NFL -

Buffalo Bills -

Carolina Panthers -

Colts- 1998 - 2011

Correct!