Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian states he will not ever become NFL commssioner

ColtsBlueFL

I fully expect the NFL will carry out an extension to Roger Goodell.  Yet, I have heard peeps about Bill Polian possibly being asked to become commissioner.... at least at some point.  Well, anybody out there that was leaning in that direction can put it to bed.  On SiriusXM NFL radio tonight, Bill was asked about it.  He responded with (his version) of the famous words of General William Tecumseh Sherman-

"If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

Long live Roger....

I guess that some of the owners nominate candidates, like in house League office person. I think all commissioners have come from the inside. But who is that guy now, one standing ready to take over for Roger if need be?

Jerry Jones is prepared to litigate in court vs. the League and other owners if they carry out an extension to Roger Goodell.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I guess that some of the owners nominate candidates, like in house League office person. I think all commissioners have come from the inside. But who is that guy now, one standing ready to take over for Roger if need be?

Jerry Jones is prepared to litigate in court vs. the League and other owners if they carry out an extension to Roger Goodell.

Jerry Jones is a salesman. Not too sure if he would be good in the courtroom?

I think Jones has a valid point.  The decline in NFL popularity has coincided with Goodell's tenure.  We aren't experts on data and internal reports that owner's look at, but I think owner's like Jones have seen cracks in the NFL appeal happening long before this past year's events.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Jones has a valid point.  The decline in NFL popularity has coincided with Goodell's tenure.  We aren't experts on data and internal reports that owner's look at, but I think owner's like Jones have seen cracks in the NFL appeal happening long before this past year's events.

If that is the case then the fans need to realize that Goodell is a very well paid person to take the heat and be the face of the NFL. He make no moves without majority ownership approval.

Viewership is down because of a few reasons added together.

1- Head injuries-concussions

2- oversaturation

3- sports media concentrating on issues other than football

4- Kneeling- the disrespect of the country and it's flag

5- Younger generation are not into the NFL as it was once

6- Bad football being played

7- officials calling too many penalties

8- too many commercials

Add all these together and a decline is happening right before our eyes.

23 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Does anybody actually like Roger Goodell? The NFL is doing worse in viewership than ever, there are so many distractions from the actual game of football, and every time Goodell is in public he gets boo'd. Nobody likes him and he's doing a bad job so why extend him?

Goodell is just an extension of the owners. He is a highly paid guy who is paid to take the boo's and the heat they don't care to face. To point a finger at Goodell is completely over looking who is in charge. He does exactly what the owners want. If not he wouldn't be the commish. You say he is doing a bad job? It's the owners who are doing a bad job, not Goodell.

19 hours ago, DougDew said:

The rise of the NFL's popularity also occurred during Goddell's tenure and the league makes more money now than it ever has.

Fans are often told they don't like Goddell..They don't  really know why because they don't know seem to know what he does.

Why does it matter, more than any of the 32 owners,  what Jerry Jones thinks?

Edited by oldunclemark

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If that is the case then the fans need to realize that Goodell is a very well paid person to take the heat and be the face of the NFL. He make no moves without majority ownership approval.

Viewership is down because of a few reasons added together.

1- Head injuries-concussions

2- oversaturation

3- sports media concentrating on issues other than football

4- Kneeling- the disrespect of the country and it's flag

5- Younger generation are not into the NFL as it was once

6- Bad football being played

7- officials calling too many penalties

8- too many commercials

Add all these together and a decline is happening right before our eyes.

Revenue is up....and that's all that matters

Viewership is a roller coaster...Monday Night Footwall viewing is up, I'm reading...

lets wait until the playoffs to decide if the media and young generation are not into football as they were.

...'bad football' is in the eye of the beholder....many markets are down like Chicago, Indy. Cleveland  and New York are down because the teams are down....

...but interest is soaring in Philadelphia, right?

Yeah as that being a Commissioner is no picnic. As it takes a lot of responsibilities and having the right sense of responsibility. But Polian's seems to have the right kind of attitude. Even though he may not want the job. Really tried to give Roger Goodell a chance but now he really has ruined the league.

23 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Revenue is up....and that's all that matters

Viewership is a roller coaster...Monday Night Footwall viewing is up, I'm reading...

lets wait until the playoffs to decide if the media and young generation are not into football as they were.

...'bad football' is in the eye of the beholder....many markets are down like Chicago, Indy. Cleveland  and New York are down because the teams are down....

...but interest is soaring in Philadelphia, right?

The TV contracts are what causes the revenue to be up. When the revenue of the advertisers starts going down they wont be so willing to hand out those huge contracts to the NFL. IMO it may take time but the NFL has already peaked and will be on it's way down in the future.

4 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

Yeah as that being a Commissioner is no picnic. As it takes a lot of responsibilities and having the right sense of responsibility. But Polian's seems to have the right kind of attitude. Even though he may not want the job. Really tried to give Roger Goodell a chance but now he really has ruined the league.

Goodell has not ruined the NFL. Quit falling into the mindset that he runs things. He don't. The owners do.

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Goodell is just an extension of the owners. He is a highly paid guy who is paid to take the boo's and the heat they don't care to face. To point a finger at Goodell is completely over looking who is in charge. He does exactly what the owners want. If not he wouldn't be the commish. You say he is doing a bad job? It's the owners who are doing a bad job, not Goodell.

I agree.  Goodell is an extension of the owners.  As you say, he does what the owners want.  If he's getting booed, the owners' policies are unpopular with the public.

Lots of good points here. Goodell is safe with all the other owners as long as 1 of the most influential owners is being difficult. Meanwhile regardless of this and that, he's paid very well to take it up the poopshoot from everybody else so that everything and everybody else is safe. 

There will probably never be another well liked commisioner again now that that's out of the bag. I mean he works for them, not us.