Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

prevent defense

OLD FAN MAN

22 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

some of you football gurus please explain why after the half when we have a lead we go to a playing off, soft defense is this manachinos call

Remember the Tampa 2 we used to run back in the day?

Prevent defense is kind of like that, only we don't smack the crap out of anyone after they catch the ball.

Not that we were excellent at punishing anyone without a healthy Bob Sanders anyway. Most of Peyton's career, we played prevent the whole game (slight exaggeration). :) 

42 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

some of you football gurus please explain why after the half when we have a lead we go to a playing off, soft defense is this manachinos call

It sure it is and I'm not a fan of it especially if the defense you have been playing is working.  Many coaches do it though. But today they couldn't move the ball until we went to it.  We don't play it well and I think we have lost some games late because of it.  

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It sure it is and I'm not a fan of it especially if the defense you have been playing is working.  Many coaches do it though. But today they couldn't move the ball until we went to it.  We don't play it well and I think we have lost some games late because of it.  

i concur

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Prevent defense allows the offense not to score, which as a result, runs out of the clock in the process.

Truthfully, I don't believe they have the right personnel yet to stick with this method.

I think you hit the nail with that comment. Without the right players all the prevent does is prevent you from winning the game.

This thread could have also been titled: "As hard as they tried not to, the Colts won anyway"

I have never liked the prevent defense for any team in any situation although good teams with a large enough lead can make it work, most of the time it changes the rhythm and intensity of both your defense and offense, and can cause you to lose far too often.