Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wishful Trades (FOR FUN)

MikChiken

Vontae Davis for Jarvis Landry

Landry is a stud. The Dolphins can't afford to pay him. We get Landry and let Moncrief walk. Davis goes back to the team that drafted him. Maybe we would need to offer more for him but he is a FA next year and I don't think they can afford to retain him. They need CB help. 

40 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Why trade for another FA?  You would be getting essentially exactly what you give the Dolphins, a rental for the remaining of the season.  Get a draft pick or player signed for a few years.

we would have his rights and be able to negotiate a new contract before getting into a bidding war with the rest of the NFL. WR is a need and he is a proven veteran and still young at not even 25

He is talented and young I agree.  These are reasons I would not go after him because a team will offer him some serious money more than likely.  Then you end up matching we have 2 high paid slot receivers.  You do not match and you traded for nothing in the end.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

He is talented and young I agree.  These are reasons I would not go after him because a team will offer him some serious money more than likely.  Then you end up matching we have 2 high paid slot receivers.  You do not match and you traded for nothing in the end.

I agree with what you're saying. I just really like Landry and he would be the best #2. Safety blanket who is physical after the catch. 

1 minute ago, Mick12Maher said:

I agree with what you're saying. I just really like Landry and he would be the best #2. Safety blanket who is physical after the catch. 

I like Landry a lot.  We could easily still go after him in FA.  I am just saying if you trade anyone get something guaranteed, like a draft pick or a player with a contract that has a few years left.  Best case is a young player with ability to be a stud and a rookie contract and maybe a mid to later round pick.

I still doubt that anyone gets traded.  I could be wrong but each and every year there are rumors about this player or that player and no one gets moved.  Buffalo made a trade to free up money, while Jax just got another solid piece with a contract that can dropped after next year I believe.  So if he does not live up to some hype they can cut him.

1 hour ago, Mick12Maher said:

Landry is a stud. The Dolphins can't afford to pay him. We get Landry and let Moncrief walk. Davis goes back to the team that drafted him. Maybe we would need to offer more for him but he is a FA next year and I don't think they can afford to retain him. They need CB help. 

Landry would be an interesting long term prospect. They need offense play makers and o-line help 1st.
And they would have to dump several million in salary to take on Davis.

I'll go with Vontae and our 6th for Cowboys 4th.

1 hour ago, Mick12Maher said:

Cover32 just published a potential trade of Davis and our second pick for Landry.  We would then trade TY.  They also suggest Davis straight up for OL L'el Collins of the Cowboys. 

44 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Cover32 just published a potential trade of Davis and our second pick for Landry.  We would then trade TY.  They also suggest Davis straight up for OL L'el Collins of the Cowboys. 

During his draft year, I was strongly advocating the Colts use a late draft pick to take a flyer on L'el Collins.  Forgetting about how much he might upgrade the OL, it would be SO disappointing to now trade for him when they could have had him for virtually nothing.  It was ridiculous that the whole league passed on the guy when it seemed clear to me, prior to the draft, that the controversy surrounding him was unsubstantiated fog.

That being said,  as much as I like Vontae Davis and think that people unjustifiably down on him, given that he is a FA w/no guarantee of being re-signed, to trade him for a young OL prospect is something I would not be opposed to.

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Trading Davis and a 2nd rounder for a guy that is not guaranteed going to be here next year would be terrible.  I would trade Davis for Collins straight up right in a heartbeat.  RT problem solved right there.

9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Trading Davis and a 2nd rounder for a guy that is not guaranteed going to be here next year would be terrible.  I would trade Davis for Collins straight up right in a heartbeat.  RT problem solved right there.

I think we would have the cap room to do a long term deal.  They would also save cap room by trading TY.  The franchise tag could be a last resort. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think we would have the cap room to do a long term deal.  They would also save cap room by trading TY.  The franchise tag could be a last resort. 

I would just trade Davis.  We could definitely resign him with our cap room.  I would keep TY.  No need to trade him.

Just to add to the convo...

You could trade Davis and get Collins. 

Then trade Hilton and get Glenn. 

Then trade Castonzo to the Eagles for Warmack and a 2nd. 

You just rebuilt your line with 3 starters.  But you lost a WR.  You do have an extra 2nd though.  You could then focus FA and draft on maybe another G in case Mewhort is not resigned or injury prone.  Everything else would be a WR and Defense.  FA pick up maybe Carlos Hyde and Alshon if available or still go after Landry. 

That's a nice quick flip right there in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Just to add to the convo...

You could trade Davis and get Collins. 

Then trade Hilton and get Glenn. 

Then trade Castonzo to the Eagles for Warmack and a 2nd. 

You just rebuilt your line with 3 starters.  But you lost a WR.  You do have an extra 2nd though.  You could then focus FA and draft on maybe another G in case Mewhort is not resigned or injury prone.  Everything else would be a WR and Defense.  FA pick up maybe Carlos Hyde and Alshon if available or still go after Landry. 

That's a nice quick flip right there in my opinion.

Colts could have signed Warmack this past offseason ... and in fact, I was advocating going after him.  No way I can see that happening now.  Plus, no way the Eagles blow up what they have going on, with the success they are having.

20 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Colts could have signed Warmack this past offseason ... and in fact, I was advocating going after him.  No way I can see that happening now.  Plus, no way the Eagles blow up what they have going on, with the success they are having.

Not disagreeing with you.  Just throwing random stuff out there.  With Peters going down though they might look at options...who knows?