Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Donohue: Luck will not play this year

James

1 hour ago, Catloaf said:

I was wondering the same thing... We only have two wins and no line of sight to even being competitive with our remaining schedule.

Oh my.... Catloaf, lol..... not sure what that means but I busted out laughing.... made my day :lol:

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Hate to say it, but I am starting to believe it myself.  Dan Dakich has been saying this for several weeks now and restated it yesterday.

It is what it is, but if he does in fact rehab to the point he is released by the docs he needs to play.  Regardless of the teams position in the standings.  It sure as hell didn't matter last December so it shouldn't matter now.  I prefer to see him on the field if he is able.... even if it is the last game and we are 2-13.

Yeah Dakich was saying weeks ago that he was told by someone who is as close as it gets to Luck besides family that he wasn't playing and the whole thing has been done to keep fan interest and sell tickets. He doesn't call them sources, he calls them "people who volunteer things" to him lol. FWIW he also says the thing about Luck that Greenberg brought up is still true.  JMV also claims there has been at least 2 setbacks to Luck even though Irsay states there has never been one.

2 hours ago, JohnnyUnitas19 said:

Being a medical person I'm telling you this type of surgery on a quarterback is ALMOST equivalent to Tommy John surgery in baseball ...It takes a full year 12 months plus to recover

I'm medical person too.  I posted results of a study a little while back about overhead athletes return to sport time vs. feeling normal time.  Return to sport meantime  was just over 8 1/2 months, with feeling back to normal taking about 12 months. But I did hear it was a posterior labrum, and am aware those are more unusual (around 95% are anterior or superior) and more difficult to recover from as well.

Luck had completed rehab, and progressed on to the teams drills under supervision, and developed inflammation/soreness.  This isn't really uncommon. Cortisone shot puts him back two weeks, and then his progression into team drills begins all over again.  I've stated for the longest time Luck will be ready to play when he completes 3 weeks of full participation in practice. His first week  back on team drills will likely be limited and every other day to begin, once more.  If he cannot progress to full participation some relatively short time after, I will then begin to elevate my concern for his long term prognosis at that time.  Not any earlier, however.  Medically speaking, Luck still has time to become game ready and play before the season concludes. And the team really needs him to show what he has in 'trial under fire' conditions to properly prepare for 2018.  It is clearly still way to early to conclude his season is over, let alone his career, as some here have done. The future is still too cloudy to foresee at this stage.

10 hours ago, ricker182 said:

I don't believe these to be true or certainties.

Agree, I think we all need to realize that Luck had an injury to his throwing shoulder that required surgical repair. To a throwing athlete this is serious business and anyone who was a throwing athlete that has had a surgery to their shoulder that involves the labrum knows that there are no guarantees they will return 100%. The shoulder is the most complex joint in the body and any injury to it, especially the labrum, is a huge problem for a throwing athlete.

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

A little birdie told him

My parrot, Beowulf, had no part in this ! He has sat quietly throughout every game this season without making any statement except to stand proudly in his # 1.8 Colts Jersey  and proclaim that "Everybirdie should stand behind our team ! The Colts will fly high once more if we just   have faith ! "

11 hours ago, LockeDown said:

The problem with the NFL, is that if you aren't playing, you are almost not part of the team. This team needs Luck to step in and be their leader right now even if we lose out.  

Really? I doubt there is one player on the Colts that don't know Luck is their QB and leader.

For you to say Luck needs to step in now just shows you are not concerned with his future. I am glad you don't run the Colts.

14 hours ago, JohnnyUnitas19 said:

IT WILL OFFEND SEASON TICKET HOLDERS BUT...Its probably the smart thing to do especially if playoff picture  is bleak...YES SHUT LUCK DOWN...............

I’m more offended by how long Irsay let this fiasco continue. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Really? I doubt there is one player on the Colts that don't know Luck is their QB and leader.

For you to say Luck needs to step in now just shows you are not concerned with his future. I am glad you don't run the Colts.

I reread my statement and realize I didn’t mean it that way.  I meant we need his on the field leadership, but I don’t want him back this year.  

I see some logic in testing Luck under game conditions if and when he gets healthy enough to play say in week 12 or  14 . However there is a risk if he is shoved out there too early. There will be definite rust and timing issues on a returning quarterback who has missed all of training camp and 3/4 0f the season. So after initial evaluation if we are in playoff picture okay there's a good reason .If we are eliminated from playoffs why put your franchise quarterback at risk? Let him continue to heal fully Next year he will be 100% and Jacoby will be one hellva  backup quarterback OR a starter for team  we traded him to procuring perhaps draft picks and or /Offensive lineman or  good Pass rushers.

1 hour ago, JohnnyUnitas19 said:

I see some logic in testing Luck under game conditions if and when he gets healthy enough to play say in week 12 or  14 . However there is a risk if he is shoved out there too early.

He won't go out there too early.  If he gets through 3 weeks or a month at full practice participation... he's ready to go out there and knock off the rust.

1 hour ago, JohnnyUnitas19 said:

There will be definite rust and timing issues on a returning quarterback who has missed all of training camp and 3/4 0f the season. So after initial evaluation if we are in playoff picture okay there's a good reason .If we are eliminated from playoffs why put your franchise quarterback at risk? Let him continue to heal fully Next year he will be 100% and Jacoby will be one hellva  backup quarterback OR a starter for team  we traded him to procuring perhaps draft picks and or /Offensive lineman or  good Pass rushers.

As stated above, he would be ready and there would not be any 'more healing, just more rustiness added.  Dr. Chao recently wrote concerning Luck-

"Also, even if the Colts have no shot at the playoffs this season, they need to know Luck will be fine for 2018. Further, a rusty quarterback who misses entire season puts them at a disadvantage for 2018."  

Remember, this was the head team physician for the San Diego Chargers and their Quarterbacks Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers that is saying this. He knows all about NFL QB's too, not just surgical procedures.

It's looking more and more like he doesn't play this year.  

I for one am * off at the Colts front office and ownership for how they have handled this.  

Because for the whole time up til like a week or 2 before the season they where saying he was gonna be ready for game 1.  

Now listen I get that maybe you can under estimate his recovery time by a couple weeks.  If you are "underestimating it" by an entire freaking season that's purposeful.  And this is in keeping with what they did in 2011 and 2015.  They didn't IR the starter and pretended the whole time that there was a chance they might come back.  

It's infuriating that they lie like this.  

On 10/25/2017 at 11:33 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

He won't go out there too early.  If he gets through 3 weeks or a month at full practice participation... he's ready to go out there and knock off the rust.

As stated above, he would be ready and there would not be any 'more healing, just more rustiness added.  Dr. Chao recently wrote concerning Luck-

"Also, even if the Colts have no shot at the playoffs this season, they need to know Luck will be fine for 2018. Further, a rusty quarterback who misses entire season puts them at a disadvantage for 2018."  

Remember, this was the head team physician for the San Diego Chargers and their Quarterbacks Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers that is saying this. He knows all about NFL QB's too, not just surgical procedures.

I don't believe that statement because Manning missed the entire 2011 season and came back in 2012 and had his best season of his career. 

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

I don't believe that statement because Manning missed the entire 2011 season and came back in 2012 and had his best season of his career. 

Luck can't just 'take off the season and winter', and come back in OTA's like nothing has happened.  He hasn't even 'made it back' yet.  Has not 'recovered' to NFL playing standards, and sitting on his couch will not get him there any sooner. He has not even complete one week of practice with Full Participation yet. The earlier he does, the better.  The final phase to 'making it back' is to get in a game.  Test it all out 'under fire', see how it goes. Until he actually does that, there is still that chance he may not ever (slim as it might be) regain his former form, or will develop complications from game type action that wasn't tested previously.  If other complications do develop, it is better to address them now, rather than at or after training camp 2018.

Manning had no mechanical issues with his throwing, and could (and did) throw... a lot, with Cutliffe after his fusion surgery.  He had to.  He had nerve issue that led to muscle atrophy.   As the nerve continued to regenerate, his grip increased and his throwing redeveloped his muscles.  Yet he still went 1-2, and 2-3 to start that next season.  Broncos scored =>30 points in 11 of their 13 wins.  All three losses, all within the first 5 games, they scored 21 twice and 26.  They were less than a TD away in scoring margin each of those losses.  Maybe Peyton wasn't fully Peyton very early that year? Not sure if this makes any difference, but Manning had 13 years QB experience under his belt by 2011, where Luck has just 5.

I want a healthy Andrew to get experience throwing NFL passes again, in an NFL atmosphere, sometimes at weird arm angles, sometimes on the run, sliding around the pocket, etc. All this year if possible, and truly know he can still do it with his rebuilt shoulder, without having to worry all winter if he can next spring.

And if JB (or any other Colts QB) gets sacked 10 or more times by any other team in one game, I do want the whole offense coaching staff relieved. TBH, I'm not as much worried about Luck taking a sack as I am him getting hit running outside the pocket, or (especially) being pushed or hit on the run, while rolling out to the right.  Landing on an outstretched arm (either hand first or forearm) after releasing the ball creates these QB problems- AC joint separation, broken clavicle, dislocated humerus, etc... and how I think Luck was initially injured in TN 2015.