Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

8 Minute Irsay Interview From Thursday? (Merge)

LightninMax

Manning's rookie year the team was 3-13, then 13-3 the next year. 10-6 the next, and 6-10 the next. It wasn't until after 4 years that Manning and company went on their consistent 10-14 win seasons and playoff runs. Why is everybody that is very pro Manning not understanding that he didn't come right in and we were all of a sudden great? There were growing pains, and it took a little while to get everybody on the same page and it wasn't until Dungy come in that we became a yearly contender. Yes Manning had a lot, a great deal, to do with that success but it takes the pieces coming together for it to happen. Now you are unwilling to afford Luck the same luxury of having those years to develop and become a leader of this team, because he's no PM. It's not fair to him and it's not fair to the team. I'm not saying that I want Luck over Manning but if that is what happens then guess what....I'm a Colts fan so I will stand behind the decision and wish Luck all the best and hope that he can be the best Andrew Luck that he can be and not an imitation of PM. Guess what he's not going to be the next Peyton Manning, he's Andrew Luck....the sooner you logical Manning fans can wrap your logic around that the better off you'll be. Unless you aren't a Colts fan and just here for PM, in that case it won't matter because you'll be gone too.

Yeah soon you LFCM will just be on here crying man why wasn't Luck what the talking head said he was, the PM fan will be on another thread talking how amazing it is to have PM on a team that can win, and how bad we feel for the Colts they took all their eggs out of the PM basket, and hoped Luck basket was going to be a good replacement.... OVER hyped Luck I cheer for 15 years of heart ache when Luck turns to Leaf, and PM is winning big on the next team. Got Colts gear for sale anyone interested... Can't stay with a team that Owner says It's not about money then a few weeks later truth comes out it's ALL about money. No loyality in this organization.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it will end on or before March 8.

I think he will be cut and then the speculation will be about his health and then if he will sign with the colts orwhich other team.

Mark Schefter is going to be a busy man.

Stop raining on my dreams!

:lol:

You mean after all the drama we had with fans coming to blows over quarterback, coaching, and should we win/should we not win........suck for luck.............and now the manning drama........... will be followed by more drama?

Will they continue to use the word politician? hypocrite?.....

ugh with a massive side of UGH!

I find it funny that we have a post that says "We are one step closer..." and now one that says "We are two steps closer..."

What's next? (OK, Obviously its "We are three steps closer...")

We are 2,176.44 steps closer to being 5 steps closer to knowing if we are 3 steps closer to..... Ok my head hurts again...Ow

This is encouraging. If nothing else, it clears up things and eliminates a lot of rumors. As Irsay said, there are factors involved that are out of their control, so they need to do what best for the Colts and for Peyton, too.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but shortly after that

Source: Peyton, Irsay aren’t “negotiating”

Posted by Mike Florio on February 17, 2012, 9:34 AM EST

yahoo_manning_irsay3.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

When speaking to the media on Thursday night, Colts owner Jim Irsay at no point expressly said that he and quarterback Peyton Manning are “negotiating” a revised contract. But the people who heard what Irsay said, both at WISH-TV and WRTV-TV have characterized Irsay as claiming that negotiations have occurred, and we’ll defer to the folks who were there when Irsay said what he said. (Besides, Irsay has not yet taken to Twitter to claim that he and Peyton haven’t engaged in any “negotiations.”)

It’s not unreasonable to assume that Irsay was claiming that negotiations occurred, given that Irsay has spoken openly just three days ago about paying Peyton something less than $28 million on March 28. Given the context, Irsay definitely sounded like he was referring to negotiations when he said this: “Peyton and I have talked and said that we’d like to just come to something that makes sense for both of us.”

Regardless, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that, to the extent Irsay contends that negotiations have occurred regarding the money that Peyton would be paid on a reduced contract, no such negotiations have occurred. “Numbers aren’t being discussed,” the source said.

We’re also told that there’s a feeling in the Manning camp that Irsay, who three weeks ago chastised Peyton for not keeping his concerns regarding the atmosphere at the team facility “in house,” has been talking “way too much.” The perception there, and elsewhere, is that Irsay is trying too hard to avoid blame for Peyton’s potential departure.

And so from Tuesday’s comments by Irsay and Wednesday’s report from unnamed sources regarding Peyton’s health and Thursday’s comments by Irsay, it’s hard to claim with a straight face that all is well between Irsay and Peyton — even though Irsay somehow has been able to make that claim with a straight face.

Yeah soon you LFCM will just be on here crying man why wasn't Luck what the talking head said he was, the PM fan will be on another thread talking how amazing it is to have PM on a team that can win, and how bad we feel for the Colts they took all their eggs out of the PM basket, and hoped Luck basket was going to be a good replacement.... OVER hyped Luck I cheer for 15 years of heart ache when Luck turns to Leaf, and PM is winning big on the next team. Got Colts gear for sale anyone interested... Can't stay with a team that Owner says It's not about money then a few weeks later truth comes out it's ALL about money. No loyality in this organization.

Its looking less and less that this wont happen anyways. Did you not read the link above???

Its looking less and less that this wont happen anyways. Did you not read the link above???

yeah... But I feel Irsay is just playing a PR move, who knows what Irsay's "terms" are going to be... I mean what if the contract offered is a complete insult? I'm sure it's going to be put in a way Irsay can get trade value out of Manning so he can run with his little stud in a year...

I think this confirms what the logical among us already knew: if Manning can play, the deal gets reworked, and he stays. No matter what.

If he can't, he retires. Whatever the case, I'm becoming more and more confident that Manning will not be playing for another team...ever.

Logical? Overly optimistic and convinced without strong evidence is more like it.

Claiming you know what is going to happen over anyone else is pure comedy.

Irsay was just quoted on ESPN as saying things like "were talking, we'll continue talk", "we always be friends", "we both understand eachothers issues", "I hope its in a colts uniform but well see how it goes in the next few weeks".

Hardly quotes that give a strong indication he's for sure going to be a Colt.

Im sure they're doing exactly what Irsay said they are doing. They're laying the issues out on the table and figuring out if they can make it work for both sides (Irsay wants a cheaper contract and probably take Luck, Manning obviously wants the team to be committed to winning now). That hardly means its a done deal.

Smell ya later, won't miss you a bit!

also... once the 4-12 season keep pilling in due to mr overhyped.... and Irsay says enough of Indy lets go to CA, and "rebuild" again... You all going to follow them to CA... PM being ran out of town can't save the town

The Colts and the City of Indianapolis have a contract where the Colts must stay in Indianapolis till 2034. Stop posting blatant nonsense without checking some facts. These "doom and gloom" posts are laughable. Most fans here are looking at a bright future whether its Manning or no Manning and a select few are running around acting like its the end of the world if one player leaves.

I'm going to laugh when Luck does become a really good QB in this league and you need to change your profile name in order to crawl back into this forum and save some face. Since you're so good at predicting the future i figured I would give it a shot.

The Colts and the City of Indianapolis have a contract where the Colts must stay in Indianapolis till 2034. Stop posting blatant nonsense without checking some facts. These "doom and gloom" posts are laughable. Most fans here are looking at a bright future whether its Manning or no Manning and a select few are running around acting like its the end of the world if one player leaves.

Contracts can not be broke??? Can not be paid off???

yeah... But I feel Irsay is just playing a PR move, who knows what Irsay's "terms" are going to be... I mean what if the contract offered is a complete insult? I'm sure it's going to be put in a way Irsay can get trade value out of Manning so he can run with his little stud in a year...

Sounds like your hanging on every word of speculation and mystery sources instead of a man who's directly involved. Irsay has no reason to lie but ESPN does, controversy makes them money. Lets just say Irsay is lying and its a messy divorce, then all off this is setting himself up for all of this will blow up in his face. Irsay is smart enough to realize that.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but shortly after that

That just means they aren't talking numbers yet. Doesn't mean they aren't talking all the other factors such as his health and the state of the franchise as a whole. I expect when they sit down this coming week, the numbers will be discussed then.

Just this one season without Manning, how many tickets was sold because STH wasn't interested in going with this losing season? I heard so many people say they was able to go this year because ticket prices was finally down.... If Luck is Leaf, and colts keep having 4-12 seasons.... how many people will renew those tickets...

I find it funny that we have a post that says "We are one step closer..." and now one that says "We are two steps closer..."

What's next? (OK, Obviously its "We are three steps closer...")

We are 2,176.44 steps closer to being 5 steps closer to knowing if we are 3 steps closer to..... Ok my head hurts again...Ow

No quotes from Florio there.....but Of course..they arent negotiating yet....They will meet to do that.

But if Irsay wanted Manning gone.....he wouldnt be phoning him about ANYTHING

..and if Manning wanted to leave..he would be texting him...

and more steps are coming, Captain.. :dancing:

.....Like Bobby Brown used to say.

."Every Little step I take" You will be there"

"Every Little step I take..we'll be together"

Sounds like your hanging on every word of speculation and mystery sources instead of a man who's directly involved. Irsay has no reason to lie but ESPN does, controversy makes them money. Lets just say Irsay is lying and its a messy divorce, then all off this is setting himself up for all of this will blow up in his face. Irsay is smart enough to realize that.

I hope so much you are right... I hope he does offer a resonable non-insult contract. I just don't trust a man that kept saying it's not about money then it turned into about money, don't trust a man that says we have plenty of cap space for both QB's now it's about cap space.... I hope you are right, and there is a little loyality in Irsay and the Colts.

Contracts can not be broke??? Can not be paid off???

The lease may be broken under mutual agreement, bankruptcy of the Colts or CIB condemnation of the stadium that is not repairable.

I see no way both sides would agree on something like this especially after building a billion dollar plus stadium. If the Colts were still in the RCA Dome then maybe.

My point is, the Colts will not run out of Indianapolis if they have a couple of bad seasons or heck even a decade. The way the NFL is designed, all teams eventually have success at one point or another. No team will flat out suck for 20 or 30 years. They all have at the least a few good seasons here and there.

You are stretching so bad and want the Colts to fail if Manning leaves. News flash, the Colts were here before Manning and will be here after Manning.

Just this one season without Manning, how many tickets was sold because STH wasn't interested in going with this losing season? I heard so many people say they was able to go this year because ticket prices was finally down.... If Luck is Leaf, and colts keep having 4-12 seasons.... how many people will renew those tickets...

IF is a big word for being only two letters long. If you're posts had any logic other than just admiration for Manning and doom and gloom/hatred for Luck it might actually mean something.

Fan base will react a LOT different if loyality is shown, and the man is kept to retire, then having face of franchise RAN out of town for neck beard over hyped kid

Exactly...and if Peyton retires in 2 years..

Andrew Luck....will be groomed by Peyton (which is what the Irsay-Manning discussions are partially about) and ready to lead us to the playoffs...

Rookies need lots of Luck to make the playoffs

Luck just needs a year or two of pro schooling to do it..

Personally I did not think we learned anything new from that Irsay interview last night.

I really haven't learned anything new either, because its in line with what I believe was happening all along. This interview was to battle the misconceptions of ESPN.

Its not Irsay vs Manning, its Irsay vs national media

IF is a big word for being only two letters long. If you're posts had any logic other than just admiration for Manning and doom and gloom/hatred for Luck it might actually mean something.

Those no logic in stating that A LOT of STH was selling their tickets having no interest in seeing a losing team last year.... No logic in stating that if your beloved Luck isn't what he is so talked out to be and fails that losing season could happen and same people that DID sell their tickets this year seeing no interest in watching them lose, could finally say enough and not renew... Didn't teams like Jags, have a hard time filling seats? You under estimate the power of loses especially loses after a "hero" was ran out of town...

I did get the sense that he was choosing his words extremely carefully. Who can blame him? People pick and choose particular words.........out of context...........and rant about it well past it being a dead issue

It is THE topic of the off season and I'm sure he's got enough real issues to work through without the additional drama that keeps coming back over and over again

March 8 cannot come soon enough for me!

I agree i cant wait for all of this to be over. actually cant wait for draft day. im excited to see who the colts draft after the obvious first pick.

I hope so much you are right... I hope he does offer a resonable non-insult contract. I just don't trust a man that kept saying it's not about money then it turned into about money, don't trust a man that says we have plenty of cap space for both QB's now it's about cap space.... I hope you are right, and there is a little loyality in Irsay and the Colts.

I wouldn't be surprised if its a big contract but instead of guaranteed money, its incentive driven. Irsay wont mind paying the money, just like before the surgery, but Irsay is going to make sure he gets a return for cap hit. See paying Manning big bucks isn't what would cripple the team, but guaranteed big money to a player that can't play would.

Irsay had stated that it wasn't about the money, rather, it was about Manning's health. Manning has not yet been cleared by the Colt's doctors. So according to you, Irsay should either pay Manning even though he is not healthy, or he should cut him if he is not healthy, becasue those were his two options.

Instead, even though it appears that Manning may not be healthy by the March 8th deadline, Irsay wants to keep Manning as a Colt. The contract that is currently in place is for a "healthy" Manning. Since Manning hasn't yet proven that he has fully recovered, Irsay would like to keep Manning, but on a contract that's reflective of his current health. This is understandable and reasonable. Irsay is not a hypocite, rather he's doing what he can to keep Manning, and still have the Colts be a competitive team.

Irsay had stated that it wasn't about the money, rather, it was about Manning's health. Manning has not yet been cleared by the Colt's doctors. So according to you, Irsay should either pay Manning even though he is not healthy, or he should cut him if he is not healthy, becasue those were his two options.

Instead, even though it appears that Manning may not be healthy by the March 8th deadline, Irsay wants to keep Manning as a Colt. The contract that is currently in place is for a "healthy" Manning. Since Manning hasn't yet proven that he has fully recovered, Irsay would like to keep Manning, but on a contract that's reflective of his current health. This is understandable and reasonable. Irsay is not a hypocite, rather he's doing what he can to keep Manning, and still have the Colts be a competitive team.

If this is correct and NOT a PR move.... Then I agree it's the right move... I just hope if Manning says no to contract we will know the truth to what the "new" contract is, so it's either shown this is on Manning, or Irsay...

I'm not against a new contract.... I agree orginal contract was based on him being healthy this year, that's why MANNING put that clause in.... I am just against Irsay giving an insulting contract to him... I agree it needs to be incentive based.... I also want to make sure it's a contract to keep Manning, and not one that Colts can just trade him...

The whole "Manning didn't come out winning" argument isn't a valid one, because he set rookie passing records for touchdowns, yards, completions, and completion %. He was also making scary good reads on veteran defenses, and had stats better than most seasoned vets. Manning's greatness was evident once he started taking snaps in the NFL, despite not having much around him.

The problem Luck faces is that EVERYONE is expecting, and proclaiming him to be great, and audiences are far less patient now than they were even 10 years ago. When 1 year wonder/bust projection QB's like Newton can come out and play well, Luck better be nothing short of the best rookie QB of all-time, and a top 5 QB in the league from day 1, or he will face heavy criticism. Fans won't wait for the team around him to develop.

His best bet is to work behind Peyton, develop with the new QB coach, as well as the other young, up-and-coming players, and come in when he's ready to win immediately. That's why you want Peyton to stay: it gives you wins now, while the future guy develops into a winner. You get to skip the whole anxiety attack of wondering if the Colts are sinking into oblivion; which will happen if Luck starts in 2012.

The whole "Manning didn't come out winning" argument isn't a valid one, because he set rookie passing records for touchdowns, yards, completions, and completion %. He was also making scary good reads on veteran defenses, and had stats better than most seasoned vets. Manning's greatness was evident once he started taking snaps in the NFL, despite not having much around him.

The problem Luck faces is that EVERYONE is expecting, and proclaiming him to be great, and audiences are far less patient now than they were even 10 years ago. When 1 year wonder/bust projection QB's like Newton can come out and play well, Luck better be nothing short of the best rookie QB of all-time, and a top 5 QB in the league from day 1, or he will face heavy criticism. Fans won't wait for the team around him to develop.

His best bet is to work behind Peyton, develop with the new QB coach, as well as the other young, up-and-coming players, and come in when he's ready to win immediately.

AMEN

Next statement is based on IF Manning is ran out of town for the kid...

And I will go on record to be his BIGGEST Critic every single interception, or sack fumble. I'll be screaming for his head.

The best thing that could ever happen to Andrew Luck from a professional standpint is if he sits and watches Peyton Manning next season...

Rookie QBs need time to adjust and work with their team before them are inserted against top defenses like Houston and the Bears..who we play next year...

But beyond that..as jedi suggest...

Luck will be the face of the Colts...and every loss will be on him...He will be dealing with teammates he largely does not know.

..and he will get a beat down....all rookies do...and logival or not...Luck will be blamed for EVERYTHING

...all QBs are in all NFL towns

.....and I think that if Manning can get back near full strength...he will still be able to creates wins with the present offense...

.and when he steps down....Luck will step in and not miss a beat...