Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Miller one of the 50 greatest NBA players

http://theundefeated.com/features/nba-50-greatest-players-remix/?addata=espn:frontpage

"Beyond the 3-point bomb he shot with aplomb, beyond his ability to curl around three screens to free his 6-foot-7, corn-silk-thin frame for a shot, Miller’s greatest trait was his ability to crawl beneath an opponent’s skin. It wasn’t just John Starks or Spike Lee at Madison Square Garden; he annoyed everyone. The force of his personality alone made the Indiana Pacers a contender. He is still the only player to score eight points in 8.9 seconds in the playoffs — which he did in a Game 1 win over the Knicks in the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals."

On 10/20/2017 at 11:44 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Miller’s greatest trait was his ability to crawl beneath an opponent’s skin.

I wasn't a talker, but I was a scrapper, so I applied the Reggie Miller Method in soccer.

I was an offensive player, but I asked my coach if I could start playing as a "Sweeper" or "Joker" during games.  I would spend the first half as a forward attacker figuring out who the best player was on the other team, then in the second half I would just follow that player around.  Most of soccer is "zone" but I would switch to "man".  You can place your hand on an opponent as long as you don't grab and pull, so I would literally be touching the player the entire second half "boxing" him out of play.  I wouldn't even pay attention to the ball, I would basically just play man-to-man like a CB on a WR.  I made sure their best player never even touched the ball in the 2nd half.

The other team would get so mad.  The other players lost their security blanket and their coach would complain to the refs.  The player I was covering would just about lose his mind having someone play such aggressive defense against one player, but I knew if I took that guy out of the game, the rest of my team was good enough to beat the rest of his team.  We won a lot of games, and I usually got the best player on the other team so frustrated that they would start committing penalties and helping my team even more.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:44 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He is still the only player to score eight points in 8.9 seconds in the playoffs — which he did in a Game 1 win over the Knicks in the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals.

I even once scored a hat-trick in the 1st half before I switched to Joker, only player in the league to get a hat-trick in one half.  At halftime my coach asked what I had for breakfast, and after I told him, he did a double-take and said "Alright, well I guess we're all eating an entire roll of Sweet Orange Rolls before games from now on."    haha

I agree with that list of 50 except I would've kept Clyde Drexler and James Worthy on it and would've  left Paul Pierce and Steve Nash off it. I know Nash won 2 League MVP's but he nor Pierce is better than the players I mentioned above. Worthy was unstoppable and Drexler was the 2nd best SG in the league behind Jordan for years. Congrats to Reggie, he deserves it IMO, the Knick Killer!

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 12:01 PM, RockThatBlue said:

One of the best NBA shooters ever. 

That's the best thing to say,.

Its hard to rank a Top-50 all time because the all-time history of the NBA is a lot of players over a lot of years.

Reggie would have been even better today as offenses shoot nothing but 3s and layups.

He might have averaged 30

17 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's the best thing to say,.

Its hard to rank a Top-50 all time because the all-time history of the NBA is a lot of players over a lot of years.

Reggie would have been even better today as offenses shoot nothing but 3s and layups.

He might have averaged 30

He would've basically have been a bigger Steph Curry in todays game.