Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck being shut down from practice this week.

indy1888

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To call this a disappointment would qualify as the understatement of the year.

Last week,  before this news,   I stated that I didn't think Luck would be back until the Bye Week,   that's week 11.

Then, Monday,  on the ESPN pre-game show,  former Colts back-up Matt Hasselbeck said he had seen Luck throw in practice and in his words,   "Luck didn't look like Luck."     And that he thought Luck was a long way off from being back.

And now, today,  this news.

I think the odds of seeing Luck this season are offically way less than 50/50.     I would not expect him until off season workouts next April.     Remember,  Luck is getting shutdown based on his arm not reacting to very minimal practice.   Easy throws.      He's not close to throwing game-type of passes.     He's not throwing 100 balls a day.     He's being eased back into the offense.      That he's not reacting well to it is a big red flag.

Hugely disappointing.

What are we going to win with Brissett?    A total of 4-5 games?     Maybe.     But there's now tape of him not handling either Seattle's defense or Tennessee's.      Other teams will see that.      Jacoby is going to have to learn on the job.

There are going to be more disappointing losses ahead.........

2017 is not what we all were hoping for......

Yeaaahhhh, I don’t care if this season is lost, but I do care about whether I see #12 throw the ball. I like watching him play - Super Bowl or no Super Bowl. Bummer it doesn’t sound like he’ll be 100% by the end of the season.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

To call this a disappointment would qualify as the understatement of the year.

Last week,  before this news,   I stated that I didn't think Luck would be back until the Bye Week,   that's week 11.

Then, Monday,  on the ESPN pre-game show,  former Colts back-up Matt Hasselbeck said he had seen Luck throw in practice and in his words,   "Luck didn't look like Luck."     And that he thought Luck was a long way off from being back.

And now, today,  this news.

I think the odds of seeing Luck this season are offically way less than 50/50.     I would not expect him until off season workouts next April.     Remember,  Luck is getting shutdown based on his arm not reacting to very minimal practice.   Easy throws.      He's not close to throwing game-type of passes.     He's not throwing 100 balls a day.     He's being eased back into the offense.      That he's not reacting well to it is a big red flag.

Hugely disappointing.

What are we going to win with Brissett?    A total of 4-5 games?     Maybe.     But there's now tape of him not handling either Seattle's defense or Tennessee's.      Other teams will see that.      Jacoby is going to have to learn on the job.

There are going to be more disappointing losses ahead.........

It's disappointing but look at how good we will be next year with Andrew at 100% and our Defense with better Chemistry. Mack with a year under his belt will be a huge weapon for Luck. I think Ballard will nail the Draft again and we will have a new Coach which will rejuvenate us too. I want to see Luck as much as anyone but if he isn't 100% I say lets get the party started next season.

22 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Is shoulder soreness really a surprise? He didn't throw a football for what, 7 months or so? And just recently began throwing more? I would think his shoulder being sore would be normal.

Yeah I think the loss at TN affected it this too. Pretty much puts you out of the race for the playoffs so why not just shut down Luck, let him work back slowly. Especially given how our OL is messed up. 

22 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I think they're pretty set on bringing in a new coach after this season.  I'm not sure why Ballard wouldn't want to bring in his own staff.  We'll definitely find out at the end of this season though!

Based on?

20 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Stop it. I don't want that type of negativity in my life.

Sorry

19 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Im guessing not.  Only because if we are judging him on improved performance he has gone backwards if anything.... he has had enough time to prove his worth.  This regime needs to be recycled.

Fan opinion does matter in the long run and it has been a marathon

Hope you're right

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Doubt it

Based on

4 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

They are gone. Ballard is not impressed. Don't worry.

Based on?

This appears to be more than just soreness. Ballard is addressing this and he wouldn't need to if it were just soreness.

He mentioned that Luck is taking cortisone shots and would not commit if and when Luck would return to practice. He also did not commit to Luck playing this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000863565/article/colts-shut-down-andrew-luck-due-to-shoulder-soreness

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well, that's life. Even with a healthy Luck, a playoff would've been an overachievement with this rebuilding young team. Going deep in the playoff was unrealistic. So, what we've lost? Another 8-8, maybe 9-7 season? Or, maybe, just maybe a 10-6 and a first round playoff dropoff? So be it, Luck's health is much more important.

Imagine how the Packers fans might feel now. They has (had) a serious contender team, and now, they're fighting for 0.500 without Rogers

I just hope that Luck's long term healty isn't in any danger. If he'll have a healthy long carreer after this injury (I am sure he learned the lesson he has to take care of himself), then we will get back twice what we are loosing now.

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah I think the loss at TN affected it this too. Pretty much puts you out of the race for the playoffs so why not just shut down Luck, let him work back slowly. Especially given how our OL is messed up. 

Based on?

Sorry

Hope you're right

Based on

Based on?

Based on bringing in a new GM, 3 terrible seasons of missing the playoffs, pending a miricle.  It's not rocket science.  Why would they keep Pagano and even Chud??  There's no reason to keep them but every reason to change.  

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Worst part: this probably saves chuck pagano and his staff their jobs

I can see this working in Chucks favor.  As long as the team continues to play hard.  And they always have in the past.  They are not going to expect him to make the playoffs under these circumstances.  Not without your QB.  They will be looking at continued player development and improved team chemistry.  They said his evaluation would not be based on his record alone.    Ironically we're only a game back with Brissett.  We've had leads going into the fourth qtrs. only to see a tired defense give it up.  The majority of people think he is already gone.  I think Ballard is going to give him this season and then decide.  I don't think it's a slam dunk that his mind is already made up. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JMV is the best. I bet Luck doesn't play this year but if he doesn't I am fine with it because we cant win the SB anyway and need him healthy for the next 5 years.

Am I the only one who feels a bit relieved by the fact that Luck won't play this year...? 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am ok with it brother, we aren't winning anything big anyway this season. What I mean by big is Playoff wins

I didn't actually watch the colts game vs the titans. Had a really long day and I had to work early. So I fell asleep. My father was texting me through the whole game, and when I woke up, I felt like I had watched it already. Every Sunday. If I'm Ballard, and I go from watching Ried coach, to Pagano, there is just no way I don't see massive short comings. 

I have no doubt that Ballard is football savvy.  But my biggest question would be, will Irsay even let Pagano be fired? 

A pipe dream would be Ballard and Manning working together. I think they would do well as a team.... 

1 hour ago, MTC said:

I wouldn’t put him on IR, but I wouldn’t start him at all this season. He should still try to practice with the team. It’s clear he won’t be 100% for a while.

I agree with this. Practice is good for him physically, as well as mentally. It has to be driving him nuts to not be out there.

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard is going to give him this season and then decide.  I don't think it's a slam dunk that his mind is already made up. 

Agree. That's the professional way to handle these situations. You don't make up your mind months before decision time, because that affects your judgement. Let it be a player, a coach, whatever. Or any business. You don't build walls of early judgements around you, if you want to make right decisions, even if it seems soo obvious sometimes.