Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charlie Johnson beat like a drum at Vikes camp

HitStick21

New Vikings LT Charlie Johnson was beaten like a drum by Jared Allen in his first practice with the team Thursday.

We don't usually do daily practice updates, but Johnson's beating was so severe that several Vikings beat writers were tweeting about the horrific effort on Thursday. He was going against the three-time All-Pro Allen, of course, but this has the potential to be one of the worst lines in football. Johnson is a natural guard -- not left tackle -- and LG Steve Hutchinson's play has bottomed out of late, particularly as a run blocker.

Thought it was a funny

Wasn't meant to be rude =).

I lol'd a lot when Anthony got blown by several times via Dwight earlier in the week also. Just wish there was video if it was THAT bad. I wish he would have re-signed. Always going to wonder if it was pure money or we choose not to chase him.

Nope sorry guys, its ok to give him a hard time. You might have thought he was a good guy, but he took the money and ran. So he is fair game. I never thought we was a good OT any ways. Every time I even mentioned that he is more of a gaurd then tackle there was always people trying to disagree with me. Anyways, good luck having a guard play ur Tackle position Vikings.

Several fans around these boards sounded the alarm when CJ went to Minn. I guess maybe the coaching staff really does know what they are doing...

I wonder how well AC can hold the left edge. Maybe he'll get a chance to take on Freeney some more in the next couple of weeks.

He did not take the money and run. The Colts never responded to his calls and the Vikings offered him a deal and he called the Colts to see if they had a better offer, but they never called back. That is what he said on the "Grady and Big Joe show on 1070 the fan on Tuesday. It sounds like the Colts didnt want him so I dont blame him for going to the Vikings. I wish him the best. It is sad to hear about that, but Jared Allen is really good though.

Isn't this his first day to practice with the team because of the CBA? First day and he gets beat by Allen big deal.

People forget it was his play against Allen that basically cemented his spot as the starting LT the following year.

2008 Ugoh was the starting LT, Colts are playing the Vikes and Allen is chasing Manning all over the place for 2-1/2 quarters. Ugoh get hurt, CJ slides to LT, first play Allen blows by him and pressure's Manning. After than CJ settles down and does a great job against Allen the rest of the game and the Colts complete the 1st of several 4th quarter comebacks that year.

People are underestimating just how bad he and Ryan Diem really were last year. False starts aside, these guys were getting beat on almost every play. If it weren't for Peyton's quick release, the sacks taken would have led the league. He has never taken a beating like he took last year. Diem and Johnson are backup material at this point, IMO.

Nope sorry guys, its ok to give him a hard time. You might have thought he was a good guy, but he took the money and ran. So he is fair game. I never thought we was a good OT any ways. Every time I even mentioned that he is more of a gaurd then tackle there was always people trying to disagree with me. Anyways, good luck having a guard play ur Tackle position Vikings.

You mean he did the exact same thing that you would have done?

Let me ask you a question - where should a man's responsibility be?

Isn't this his first day to practice with the team because of the CBA? First day and he gets beat by Allen big deal.

People forget it was his play against Allen that basically cemented his spot as the starting LT the following year.

2008 Ugoh was the starting LT, Colts are playing the Vikes and Allen is chasing Manning all over the place for 2-1/2 quarters. Ugoh get hurt, CJ slides to LT, first play Allen blows by him and pressure's Manning. After than CJ settles down and does a great job against Allen the rest of the game and the Colts complete the 1st of several 4th quarter comebacks that year.

I remember him getting a little help in that game.

But yeah, he's not the greatest but he worked and played hard, and he was versatile. I said the other day that I'd rather have him than not, and his contract wound up being right around what I would have considered tolerable in order to keep him. But I think it came down to who of him and Diem the team could come to terms with first, and it wound up being Diem. I'd just as soon have had that be Charlie, even for more money, but I think we'll be okay. Wish him the best. I bet the Vikings find a place for him on the interior by the time the season starts.

You mean he did the exact same thing that you would have done?

Let me ask you a question - where should a man's responsibility be?

First off, If he did indeed say that the Colts just didnt return his calls then he wasnt worth the colts money. Second, he isnt saying he wasnt offered a deal with the colts. He is just saying he got an offer from the Vikings and the colts just didnt want to respond and offer him more. I have no problem with the man taking the money. You are right, I might have done the same. But, I am a colts fan and will root for the colts and hope all outside teams and players do not have success. Sure he is a nice guy. But he is no colt anymore.

Well if he was still with us, it would be Freeney beating him like a drum!!

He wouldn't be playing LT on our line right now though. Not with Castonzo here. If he was still here I believe he would be somewhere else on the line. Vikes messed up if they want him to be their primary LT. Johnson has value as a versatile lineman who can play multiple positions along the line but if they paid him that money for his LT skills they were delusional. Peyton's quick release covered up his flaws pretty much.

He wouldn't be playing LT on our line right now though. Not with Castonzo here. If he was still here I believe he would be somewhere else on the line. Vikes messed up if they want him to be their primary LT. Johnson has value as a versatile lineman who can play multiple positions along the line but if they paid him that money for his LT skills they were delusional. Peyton's quick release covered up his flaws pretty much.

Linkenbach was starting at LT, CJ would of totally been in Links place if he was still here.

He wasn't brought up a Guard, he wasn't drafted as a Guard, he has barely sniffed the Guard position.

He became a Tackle, developed as a Tackle, played mostly Tackle, and the entire world of professional football (scouts, coaches, etc.) consider him a Tackle.

In other words, anyone who claims he's a "natural" Guard, has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

He's mediocre and going up against one of the best. That's why he's getting beat. Nothing else is accurate.

Linkenbach was starting at LT, CJ would of totally been in Links place if he was still here.

I thought that Castonzo said that Freeney blew by him with a spin move yesterday in practice. Figured he must have been in at LT when that happened.

But yeah if CJ was here now and playing LT then I am sure Freeney would have beat him like a drum as well. Heck, I am sure he probably did many times in practice last year. We just never heard about it.

He wasn't brought up a Guard, he wasn't drafted as a Guard, he has barely sniffed the Guard position.

He became a Tackle, developed as a Tackle, played mostly Tackle, and the entire world of professional football (scouts, coaches, etc.) consider him a Tackle.

In other words, anyone who claims he's a "natural" Guard, has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

He's mediocre and going up against one of the best. That's why he's getting beat. Nothing else is accurate.

+1

I thought that Castonzo said that Freeney blew by him with a spin move yesterday in practice. Figured he must have been in at LT when that happened.

But yeah if CJ was here now and playing LT then I am sure Freeney would have beat him like a drum as well. Heck, I am sure he probably did many times in practice last year. We just never heard about it.

Well what i should of said was link was playing with the 1st unit and costanzo with the 2nd but they both got a dose of freeney.

It's not like CJ was a top tier lineman. Of course he was is going to get beat handedly by J.A. There was plenty of times last year where he was beat by even mediocre DL's, let alone goin up against a beast like Jared. It's not like he's a top tier all pro like Mr. Allen. Charlie is a solid player at best, but can play as bad as anyone else also.

I'm not one for hating on someone who has left the team, but I never really saw Charlie Johnson as an elite member of our team. He filled in admirably at his position, but maybe his struggles in Minnesota are more a testament to the greatness of our coaching staff. Perhaps our coaches brought out the best in him. Of course its more likely that his struggles are related to learning a new system that he's not familiar with yet.

I'm not one for hating on someone who has left the team, but I never really saw Charlie Johnson as an elite member of our team. He filled in admirably at his position, but maybe his struggles in Minnesota are more a testament to the greatness of our coaching staff. Perhaps our coaches brought out the best in him. Of course its more likely that his struggles are related to learning a new system that he's not familiar with yet.

It also and quite really a testament to Peyton getting rid of the ball that fast so wasnt sacked as other QBs would be

Here is a story of same

Years ago Think was Rick Demulling or someone who left our OL and went to Lions where he failed badly. We actually took him back adter his lion stint but he had nothing left.

HOWEVER he said the Lions thought he was much better than he was but they didnt realize it was all Peytons ability to avoid being sacked and quickly release the ball when needed that made the entire line, including himself look much better than they actually were and as the Lions need someone at his position they pursued him in free agency but they quickly realized they overpaid for his services