Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How far will Gore move up the ranks?


ColtsFanMikeC
 Share

Recommended Posts

After passing Dickerson to move into 7th all-time rushing yards leader last week, Gore finds himself 358 yards behind Jerome Bettis and 380 yards behind LaDanian Tomlinson, which would put him at 5th all time.

 

He's 797 yards behind Curtis Martin for 4th all-time (14,101 yards).  I guess you could also look at it as he is 696 yards away from being the 5th RB in NFL history to hit the 14,000 yard mark.  After that, Barry Sanders is 3rd with 15,269 yards.

 

I think this year we will see Gore surpass both Bettis and Tomlinson.  With a healthy Luck and healthy OL, I think he would have come very close to catching Martin this year.  He's stated he wants to play beyond this season, and I think he's got some left in the tank (if healthy he is still a solid RB, maybe not a 3 down guy anymore, but could easily be a change-of-pace guy and rack up a couple hundred next year).  

 

My prediction is he ends this year as the 5th leading rusher in NFL history and then signs with a team he thinks has a legit SB shot next year as a role player to wind up surpassing Martin as 4th all time.

 

Gore's a quiet, humble guy who just goes about his business so it's easy to forget that we are watching one of the all-time NFL greats when he steps on the field for Indy.  IMO, what he has done during his time here has been remarkable given the fact that our o-line has been basically awful throughout his tenure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think he will get to 5th place, but not past Martin.

 

I really believe this is Gore's last year, and we are likely about to start sharing the backfield between him and Mack. 

 

He needs roughly 400 yards to move up to 5th place. It's very reasonable that he can get there. 

 

However, I do not believe he will get another 700 yards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Gore nothing bad to say about him. He has done things the right way his whole career to my knowledge at least. I think he needs to be on a team that has a chance at a title.

 

I know this is an unpopular opinion but Gore is a 49er just like Peyton is a Colt. So I don’t really care about rushing titles because he going to retire a 9er. I don’t see how you can look at him and say he is the most talented RB on the roster.

 

I believe this is a Pagano/ Miami sentimental start the Vet move. Just my opinion, start the kid he is a 3 down back if you let him be. See what you have with him. We are not winning a title this year.

 

Ok rant over didn’t mean to hijack the thread but I love this team and Gore being the starter is just one of the many things that I don’t get. :hide:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I love Gore nothing bad to say about him. He has done things the right way his whole career to my knowledge at least. I think he needs to be on a team that has a chance at a title.

 

I know this is an unpopular opinion but Gore is a 49er just like Peyton is a Colt. So I don’t really care about rushing titles because he going to retire a 9er. I don’t see how you can look at him and say he is the most talented RB on the roster.

 

I believe this is a Pagano/ Miami sentimental start the Vet move. Just my opinion, start the kid he is a 3 down back if you let him be. See what you have with him. We are not winning a title this year.

 

Ok rant over didn’t mean to hijack the thread but I love this team and Gore being the starter is just one of the many things that I don’t get. :hide:

the colts have a chance at the title. They have to get healthy and make the playoffs. Chiefs and pats are main threats. Steelers fell off. Broncos are similiar to jags

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

the colts have a chance at the title. They have to get healthy and make the playoffs. Chiefs and pats are main threats. Steelers fell off. Broncos are similiar to jags

I wish I felt the way you do but I just don’t see how with this roster we win a Super Bowl this year.  Luck may will us into the playoffs but we get bounced quick. Geathers isn’t Bob Sanders even if everyone wants him to be. I will gladly gorge on crow if I’m wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I love Gore nothing bad to say about him. He has done things the right way his whole career to my knowledge at least. I think he needs to be on a team that has a chance at a title.

 

I know this is an unpopular opinion but Gore is a 49er just like Peyton is a Colt. So I don’t really care about rushing titles because he going to retire a 9er. I don’t see how you can look at him and say he is the most talented RB on the roster.

 

I believe this is a Pagano/ Miami sentimental start the Vet move. Just my opinion, start the kid he is a 3 down back if you let him be. See what you have with him. We are not winning a title this year.

 

Ok rant over didn’t mean to hijack the thread but I love this team and Gore being the starter is just one of the many things that I don’t get. :hide:

He's a rookie and if you let him be a 3 down back right now he'll be flashy but that's a lot of wear and tear on his body right now especially with this play calling. I think having frank gore right now is a blessing. Yes he'll retire a 49er but he's wearing the shoe on Sundays. Having that veteran presence is most likely priceless for marlon Mack rn. He's gonna be special though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mack is the most athletic and fastest RB on the roster right now.  He doesn't have the best vision.  He doesn't have the best pad level when running.  He doesn't have the best ball secuirty  He doesn't have the best sense of or patience to use the blocking scheme.  He's not the best blocking back and can be a serious liability in the passing game.  Playing Gore is not a charity event...he is the best back in many ways.  Maybe Mack will surpass him this year, but he's not there yet, and one good game against a defense that repeatedly failed with containment and allowed big gains on busted plays doesn't change that fact.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Gore will get to 4th all time.  I thought it was just a matter of time before AP passed him, but I'm not sure anymore.  I wonder if it is just AP was a bad match for the Saints offense, or if he has truly lost it.  Hard to imagine it is the latter, but i guess sometimes I'm in guilty of being in denial over a player's decline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I love Gore nothing bad to say about him. He has done things the right way his whole career to my knowledge at least. I think he needs to be on a team that has a chance at a title.

 

I know this is an unpopular opinion but Gore is a 49er just like Peyton is a Colt. So I don’t really care about rushing titles because he going to retire a 9er. I don’t see how you can look at him and say he is the most talented RB on the roster.

 

I believe this is a Pagano/ Miami sentimental start the Vet move. Just my opinion, start the kid he is a 3 down back if you let him be. See what you have with him. We are not winning a title this year.

 

Ok rant over didn’t mean to hijack the thread but I love this team and Gore being the starter is just one of the many things that I don’t get. :hide:

 

I can’t speak for the coaching staff, but I can try to understand the rationale behind their decisions. To me, Gore is playing more because of his experience and trust not to give the ball away. 

 

Mack absolutely brings more energy right now with his youthful legs. However, Gore is less likely to make mistakes and turn the ball over. That’s very important when we factor in Brissett who is also young and new to the team. 

 

Having two very inexperienced players at QB and RB could start an avalanche if one wrong domino is pulled from the stack. 

 

I believe as the season moves along, Mack earns the trust of the coaches, Luck comes back into mix, and the team begins to gel; its highly possible for Mack to see the field more than Gore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I wish I felt the way you do but I just don’t see how with this roster we win a Super Bowl this year.  Luck may will us into the playoffs but we get bounced quick. Geathers isn’t Bob Sanders even if everyone wants him to be. I will gladly gorge on crow if I’m wrong. 

It all depends on how our secondary develops and if our oline can protect Luck better once he returns. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I wish I felt the way you do but I just don’t see how with this roster we win a Super Bowl this year.  Luck may will us into the playoffs but we get bounced quick. Geathers isn’t Bob Sanders even if everyone wants him to be. I will gladly gorge on crow if I’m wrong. 

Not just geathers. Its luck rogers and swoope

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:14 AM, A8bil said:

Mack is the most athletic and fastest RB on the roster right now.  He doesn't have the best vision.  He doesn't have the best pad level when running.  He doesn't have the best ball secuirty  He doesn't have the best sense of or patience to use the blocking scheme.  He's not the best blocking back and can be a serious liability in the passing game.  Playing Gore is not a charity event...he is the best back in many ways.  Maybe Mack will surpass him this year, but he's not there yet, and one good game against a defense that repeatedly failed with containment and allowed big gains on busted plays doesn't change that fact.  

Why the negative nancy spin towards Mack there at the end like all the other backs were ripping off 25-30 yard runs? Gore had a great run that he almost broke free but got caught from behind/waist tackle. One game over 50 yards rushing (57 vs Cleveland on 25 carries). Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Gore fan, and he should remain the starter but Mack deserves more touches (and some credit) as the season goes along. He brings a homerun element to the backfield that none of the other backs have and it's not even close.

 

The Colts do need a rb like Gore who can get skinny when there are NO holes to run through. That happens a lot behind this OLine. The Colts also need a rb like Mack who can take it to the house and instills that fear into opposing D's. I have also seen some people criticize Mack for some runs where he was hit behind the line but defend Gore on the same type of plays :facepalm:. It's a sad day here in Colts nation when 40 yards rushing is considered a productive day haha (I'm not saying it's Gores fault by any means, we all know what the problems are. Luck being out OLine problems, play calling) but it's been that way for a long time with the Colts. The Colts need both of these running backs as their styles complement each other very nicely. Oh and Turbin should always be the 3rd and 1 rb!!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

 

I can’t speak for the coaching staff, but I can try to understand the rationale behind their decisions. To me, Gore is playing more because of his experience and trust not to give the ball away. 

 

Mack absolutely brings more energy right now with his youthful legs. However, Gore is less likely to make mistakes and turn the ball over. That’s very important when we factor in Brissett who is also young and new to the team. 

 

Having two very inexperienced players at QB and RB could start an avalanche if one wrong domino is pulled from the stack. 

 

I believe as the season moves along, Mack earns the trust of the coaches, Luck comes back into mix, and the team begins to gel; its highly possible for Mack to see the field more than Gore. 

 

Gore is also excellent in pass-protection.  With a young, back-up QB and a beat up o-line (that isn't even great at full strength), it is pretty easy for me to see why they keep Gore as the starter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Maybe Mack can be our Sproles.  Always wanted him.

I told someone the other day I think he actually runs/plays like Reggie Bush. He just kinda reminds me of him. I was excited he got playing time but concerned he was already nicked up again on that last run....does anyone know his status he was really holding that arm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I think he will get to 5th place, but not past Martin.

 

I really believe this is Gore's last year, and we are likely about to start sharing the backfield between him and Mack. 

 

He needs roughly 400 yards to move up to 5th place. It's very reasonable that he can get there. 

 

However, I do not believe he will get another 700 yards. 

This. I think he gets close to 14000 though....not sure where he would play next year to get higher but that is no small feat and certain to land him in the HOF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I told someone the other day I think he actually runs/plays like Reggie Bush. He just kinda reminds me of him. I was excited he got playing time but concerned he was already nicked up again on that last run....does anyone know his status he was really holding that arm.

I believe I read that he hurt his elbow on that run but expects to play Monday night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This year I see Gore surpassing LT for 5th All-Time. It would be awesome to see him get past Curtis this year as that would also mean Gore provided another 1k rushing yard season but I think Gore would need to play one more season to move into 4th All-Time. Dude has been a beast for his entire career!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JTrouble said:

Why the negative nancy spin towards Mack there at the end like all the other backs were ripping off 25-30 yard runs? Gore had a great run that he almost broke free but got caught from behind/waist tackle. One game over 50 yards rushing (57 vs Cleveland on 25 carries). Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Gore fan, and he should remain the starter but Mack deserves more touches (and some credit) as the season goes along. He brings a homerun element to the backfield that none of the other backs have and it's not even close.

 

The Colts do need a rb like Gore who can get skinny when there are NO holes to run through. That happens a lot behind this OLine. The Colts also need a rb like Mack who can take it to the house and instills that fear into opposing D's. I have also seen some people criticize Mack for some runs where he was hit behind the line but defend Gore on the same type of plays :facepalm:. It's a sad day here in Colts nation when 40 yards rushing is considered a productive day haha (I'm not saying it's Gores fault by any means, we all know what the problems are. Luck being out OLine problems) but it's been that way for a long time with the Colts. The Colts need both of these running backs as their styles complement each other very nicely. Oh and Turbin should always be the 3rd and 1 rb!!  

Oh, I agree that the Colts need both, and I agree that Mack brings something to the table that the others do not.  But, what you consider "negative nancy" I consider realism.  Mack has had opportunities in every game he has played, and only last game when the 49ers repeatedly lost containment, did he make anyone "pay" for his speed.  He's been bottled up far more than Gore has been (which is a consequence in part of running laterally when the line cannot prevent penetration), and frankly he's a liability in several respects right now, including pass blocking.  Gore gaining 2-5 yds per carry may not be exciting, but consistently playing at 2nd and 5 or 8 is better than 2nd and 10 or 14, and the QB having an additional second when passing is often the difference between a sack and a completion.   That's all...I want Mack to get opportunities, but again, intelligently, not in some pollyannaish view that he is something he is not.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, A8bil said:

Oh, I agree that the Colts need both, and I agree that Mack brings something to the table that the others do not.  But, what you consider "negative nancy" I consider realism.  Mack has had opportunities in every game he has played, and only last game when the 49ers repeatedly lost containment, did he make anyone "pay" for his speed.  He's been bottled up far more than Gore has been (which is a consequence in part of running laterally when the line cannot prevent penetration), and frankly he's a liability in several respects right now, including pass blocking.  You may not be excited by Gore getting 3.5 yds, but consistently playing at 2nd and 5 or 8 is better than 2nd and 10 or 14, and the QB having an additional second when passing is often the difference between a sack and a completion.   That's all...I want Mack to get opportunities, but again, intelligently, not in some pollyannaish view that he is something he is not.  

I might be in the minority but I thought Mack played well in his first game of the season as well (minus the fumble in garbage time). Should of had another TD in that game. Nobody played particularly well in that game. Yes he did not play well vs Arizona (only had 6 carries) but as a unit the Colts didn't run the ball effectively in that game either. He has been out injured the last 2 games. So he has made something out of his opportunities in 2 of the 3 games he's played in. I'm not sure but I think your math is off :D as I don't see how 3.2 ypc equals 2nd and 5? I have also seen Gore get stopped behind the line for a 1-2 yard loss and many no gains. I'm not going to lay blame on Gore (like you are Mack) though as that has more to do with the OLine. I never said Gore was bad at anything. I never said Mack was better. I just said they both play well off each other. So you know in 3 games what Mack is and what he isn't? lol ok I will intelligently agree to disagree :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, A8bil said:

Oh, I agree that the Colts need both, and I agree that Mack brings something to the table that the others do not.  But, what you consider "negative nancy" I consider realism.  Mack has had opportunities in every game he has played, and only last game when the 49ers repeatedly lost containment, did he make anyone "pay" for his speed.  He's been bottled up far more than Gore has been (which is a consequence in part of running laterally when the line cannot prevent penetration), and frankly he's a liability in several respects right now, including pass blocking.  Gore gaining 2-5 yds per carry may not be exciting, but consistently playing at 2nd and 5 or 8 is better than 2nd and 10 or 14, and the QB having an additional second when passing is often the difference between a sack and a completion.   That's all...I want Mack to get opportunities, but again, intelligently, not in some pollyannaish view that he is something he is not.  

I never said Gore wasn't great at pass blocking or getting those tough yards when there looks like there aren't any to get. Gore is the definition of a pro. I love Frank Gore. I never suggested that Mack should take carries away or for Mack to be the starter. But I would be lying if I said the change of pace isn't refreshing. I greatly appreciate ALL of what Frank brings to the table and all he contributes week in and week out. I also like what I see out of Mack and I don't see the problem getting him 15 touches per game. That's all I'm saying :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JTrouble said:

I never said Gore wasn't great at pass blocking or getting those tough yards when there looks like there aren't any to get. Gore is the definition of a pro. I love Frank Gore. I never suggested that Mack should take carries away or for Mack to be the starter. But I would be lying if I said the change of pace isn't refreshing. I greatly appreciate ALL of what Frank brings to the table and all he contributes week in and week out. I also like what I see out of Mack and I don't see the problem getting him 15 touches per game. That's all I'm saying :D 

We have no disagreement.  :)  The only thing I question is the "15 touches" assumption.  Through 5 games, I think there have been a total of 145 touches for the RBs, or 29 per game, including runs and passes.  Unless you cut Turbin out totally (which I dont think you want to do in short yardage situations) or the offense gets significantly more prolific, there's only going to be around 10 touches for Mack.  Cut anything more out of Gore and neither he r the o-line will establish any rhythm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I owe Frank Gore an apology. I was ready to give up on Frank Gore. We owe him to win this season. I’m truly sorry for thinking we should’ve moved on. Mack has been hurt. The last game he played great. Gore has been consistent. We need both their styles of running. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, A8bil said:

We have no disagreement.  :)  The only thing I question is the "15 touches" assumption.  Through 5 games, I think there have been a total of 145 touches for the RBs, or 29 per game, including runs and passes.  Unless you cut Turbin out totally (which I dont think you want to do in short yardage situations) or the offense gets significantly more prolific, there's only going to be around 10 touches for Mack.  Cut anything more out of Gore and neither he r the o-line will establish any rhythm. 

I agree with ya & definitely like to see Turbin in on every 3rd and short :D The guy is just money in those situations. Yea I see your point on 15 touches but I was hoping for a couple passes headed his way. Anything to get Mack in the open field. I liked those stiff arms last Sunday :strong:  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JTrouble said:

I believe I read that he hurt his elbow on that run but expects to play Monday night.

Good to know it wasn't his shoulder....but also shows us he likely doesn't have the build and physique to take the pounding a starting primary back has to take. I thought he got a perfect amount of runs last game...maybe another target or two in the passing game but he was used to perfection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...