Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2 Blowout losses and one thing remains true

ColtsBlitz

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, I know he may go to the 49ers, but Jax would be very ideal if they could sign him. He'd have a very good RB and elite defense around him. Would do wonders for them.

Deshaun Watson, Luck, Cousins and Mariota all in the same division would make for some epic QB battles.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:33 AM, ColtsBlitz said:

We are only one game behind with no divisional losses. 

Appreciate the optimism, but we are also right there in the discussion of the worst team in the NFL.

That discussion wouldn't be happening if they only played 30 mins, we would be 3-1 right now and leading the division, lol.

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

Appreciate the optimism, but we are also right there in the discussion of the worst team in the NFL.

That discussion wouldn't be happening if they only played 30 mins, we would be 3-1 right now and leading the division, lol.

Brissett missed passes Luck wouldn't miss plus the 4 tds because of our QBs. Aiken was wide open on a crosser in the 3rd, but he took his eyes off downfield and got jumpy in the pocket. Luck always has his eyes downfield. Let's not be so quick to forget how impactful Luck is for this team, especially with our defense performing the way it is. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Brissett missed passes Luck wouldn't miss plus the 4 tds because of our QBs. Aiken was wide open on a crosser in the 3rd, but he took his eyes off downfield and got jumpy in the pocket. Luck always has his eyes downfield. Let's not be so quick to forget how impactful Luck is for this team, especially with our defense performing the way it is. 

No question he is impactful, but he will be rusty for at least one game if not more.  Im not trying to be pessimistic because I agree with you.  

I was just pointing out that given all the "loose" play, we are not very good and even with AL returning I think it will be an uphill battle to compete for a division title.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:47 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

True, but the Texans now have their QB, so it's just gotten a lot harder. I know Tenn is doing bad, but Jax is doing somewhat decent as well. I honestly have no confidence right now we can beat the Texans, even with Luck back. Watson gives them the QB they've been lacking for years. Will he be great, it remains to be seen, but the 3 games Watson has been in has to concern even the most optimistic fan. Took the Pats to the limit and scored 57 points on the Titans. A rookie QB in his first 3 games shouldn't be doing that. As far as Jax and Tenn go, I'll believe they are contenders when I see it, but the Texans are the top dogs now IMO with the QB and the top defense.

The 57 points against the Titans was a fluke.  No way the Titans are near that bad or Watson/Texans that good.  I still like the Titans to take that division. Right now the Colts are the least talented team in that division and could be pulling up the rear for the first time in awhile even after Luck returns. 

True, but the Texans now have their QB, so it's just gotten a lot harder. I know Tenn is doing bad, but Jax is doing somewhat decent as well. I honestly have no confidence right now we can beat the Texans, even with Luck back. Watson gives them the QB they've been lacking for years. Will he be great, it remains to be seen, but the 3 games Watson has been in has to concern even the most optimistic fan. Took the Pats to the limit and scored 57 points on the Titans. A rookie QB in his first 3 games shouldn't be doing that. As far as Jax and Tenn go, I'll believe they are contenders when I see it, but the Texans are the top dogs now IMO with the QB and the top defense.

i concur, the texans will be starting an afc dynasty, watson is going to outplay all afc south qbs

The Texans have been a QB away from easily winning this division for a while.  Whether Watson is the second coming of Brady/Manning or not, I doubt it and think he will regress once teams figure him out, but he will still be a good QB in this league.  The Texans have a complete team and the Colts have major holes.  The only way I see the Texans losing this division is with major injuries, mainly Watson and Watt. 

I am not sure what some of you are seeing when you watch these games, but the Colts are really bad.  From top to bottom they are one of the worse 4 teams in the NFL.  Coaching aside, and the coaching is awful, Luck cannot save this team.  It is one of the worse Colts teams I have seen and I have been a fan since the Mayflower trucks rolled out of Baltimore.  Tenn will be a decent game now that Mariotta is gone, but other than that this team cannot beat Hou or Jax.  Simply cannot beat them.  And for those of you spouting that the NYJ beat Jax.  Guess what?  The Colts cannot beat the NYJ.  Of the remaining games on the schedule SF and Ten are the only teams I see that the Colts can maybe beat.  Maybe.  Let's face reality.  There is nothing pessimistic about this post.  It is a fact.  The Colts are an extremely bad football team with extremely bad coaches and extremely bad play calling.  Oh and the owner is to blame for all of this.

You give Peyton Manning Bill Polian, Tony Dungee, Howard Mudd, Tom Moore, Marshall Faulk, then Edge, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Bob Sanders, and 2 bookend all star pass rushers and what does Andrew Luck get?  A rookie Head coach, a rookie GM, and TY Hilton.

Irsay made this mess and he is doing an extremely poor job of fixing it.  Leaving Chuck the coach was a joke.

What would fans rather have:

A) Team wins division only to be pumbled by a better team in the postseason. Chuck returns OR

B) Lose as many games as possible and bring in a new coach. It may be a ling shot but I'd contact NE to see if Belichick is available.

5 hours ago, tucky89 said:

What would fans rather have:

A) Team wins division only to be pumbled by a better team in the postseason. Chuck returns OR

B) Lose as many games as possible and bring in a new coach. It may be a ling shot but I'd contact NE to see if Belichick is available.

Belichick?  IMO I would rather not have a head coach that cheats.

12 hours ago, Hooksalot said:

I am not sure what some of you are seeing when you watch these games, but the Colts are really bad.  From top to bottom they are one of the worse 4 teams in the NFL.  Coaching aside, and the coaching is awful, Luck cannot save this team.  It is one of the worse Colts teams I have seen and I have been a fan since the Mayflower trucks rolled out of Baltimore.  Tenn will be a decent game now that Mariotta is gone, but other than that this team cannot beat Hou or Jax.  Simply cannot beat them.  And for those of you spouting that the NYJ beat Jax.  Guess what?  The Colts cannot beat the NYJ.  Of the remaining games on the schedule SF and Ten are the only teams I see that the Colts can maybe beat.  Maybe.  Let's face reality.  There is nothing pessimistic about this post.  It is a fact.  The Colts are an extremely bad football team with extremely bad coaches and extremely bad play calling.  Oh and the owner is to blame for all of this.

You give Peyton Manning Bill Polian, Tony Dungee, Howard Mudd, Tom Moore, Marshall Faulk, then Edge, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Bob Sanders, and 2 bookend all star pass rushers and what does Andrew Luck get?  A rookie Head coach, a rookie GM, and TY Hilton.

Irsay made this mess and he is doing an extremely poor job of fixing it.  Leaving Chuck the coach was a joke.

Nonsense. The Colts were a lot worse right after the Mayflower sailed into Indy. They made the playoffs one time in a strike shortened season before Harbaugh become the QB.

12 hours ago, Hooksalot said:

!984-4-12,1985-5-11,1986-3-13, 1987-9-6, 1988-9-7, 1989-8-8, 1990-7-9, 1991-1-15, 1992-9-7, 1993-4-12 and 1994-8-8. No playoff births in Indy's first 10 years. We haven't reached that far down.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:47 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

There really isn't a top dog in our division bro. Yeah. I agree Watson gives them their franchise QB. But while he's going to be really good IMO. He's not Andrew Luck. 12, when healthy is a top 5ish QB. When he cuts down on the silly, trying to force it interceptions he's going to be considered in the same class as the Brady's, Rodgers's, Manning when he played, etc. plus more talent around him. Imagine him with a Dallas type offensive line next season and an actual defense. I think we're on our way and have the upper hand to rule the division the next 10 years. The division is getting tougher though. We gotta step our game up this offseason. 

Yes. We're a bad team. But a great QB can win with a bad team. We're still at least one superstar edge rusher away, and 2 stud ILB's on D and that's assuming Farley is our SS of the future, Hairston Nickel, Wilson one of the starting corner spots, Basham at least rotating in and out and putting up 6-8 sacks a year. Then on offense we're lacking at least a top tier G. Maybe a LT if Haeg can ball out at G. Who knows. Then a RB and another WR. With Simon and Hankins being locked up for the next 3 years we have a couple solid pieces to go with our young core we're building.. Simon is exactly what you want.....On the other side of a Mack, Miller, Houston, etc. we can finally. FINALLY !!! Get that beast edge rusher is the first this year. There's a handful of good ones. 2 off the top of my head. My favorite. Arden Key. Then Landry. We have to grab one of those studs with our first RD pick and what's awesome is we actually can get Arden Key !!!!! Then grab a great coverage ILB in RD2. That's 2 day 1 starters. Sign 3-4 high caliber impact, day 1 starters in free agency. Then a couple solid depth signings and we're set. Sign a younger corner and let Vontae walk. Bring in an Alshon Jeffery of an Allen Robinson. And the best Guard or LT on the market. Move AC to RT unless we see something different the rest of the year. A beast LT on 12's blindside with Mewhort-Kelly-Haeg/Good/Free agent/Draft Pick-Castanzo would be killer. And if we gave him a top 8-10 OL with TY, Robinson, Moncrief and Doyle to throw to. Yeah it'd be on. We gotta get our feature RB though. I think Mack will be a great number 2 type. But I don't know if he can be an true feature back, averaging 4.5YPC plus, etc on that many carries. We don't know what he's gonna be yet. Hell he may be a top 5 back next year or not on the team. We haven't seen enough to know. But I just think the pieces are there with the cap room, draft, franchise QB, etc to be a 10-12 win team next year. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Yes. We're a bad team. But a great QB can win with a bad team. We're still at least one superstar edge rusher away, and 2 stud ILB's on D and that's assuming Farley is our SS of the future, Hairston Nickel, Wilson one of the starting corner spots, Basham at least rotating in and out and putting up 6-8 sacks a year. Then on offense we're lacking at least a top tier G. Maybe a LT if Haeg can ball out at G. Who knows. Then a RB and another WR. With Simon and Hankins being locked up for the next 3 years we have a couple solid pieces to go with our young core we're building.. Simon is exactly what you want.....On the other side of a Mack, Miller, Houston, etc. we can finally. FINALLY !!! Get that beast edge rusher is the first this year. There's a handful of good ones. 2 off the top of my head. My favorite. Arden Key. Then Landry. We have to grab one of those studs with our first RD pick and what's awesome is we actually can get Arden Key !!!!! Then grab a great coverage ILB in RD2. That's 2 day 1 starters. Sign 3-4 high caliber impact, day 1 starters in free agency. Then a couple solid depth signings and we're set. Sign a younger corner and let Vontae walk. Bring in an Alshon Jeffery of an Allen Robinson. And the best Guard or LT on the market. Move AC to RT unless we see something different the rest of the year. A beast LT on 12's blindside with Mewhort-Kelly-Haeg/Good/Free agent/Draft Pick-Castanzo would be killer. And if we gave him a top 8-10 OL with TY, Robinson, Moncrief and Doyle to throw to. Yeah it'd be on. We gotta get our feature RB though. I think Mack will be a great number 2 type. But I don't know if he can be an true feature back, averaging 4.5YPC plus, etc on that many carries. We don't know what he's gonna be yet. Hell he may be a top 5 back next year or not on the team. We haven't seen enough to know. But I just think the pieces are there with the cap room, draft, franchise QB, etc to be a 10-12 win team next year. 

I agree they will sign a WR. But I don't think Moncrief will be here regardless of what they do.

I also want to sign established FA OL. But this past offseason was the time to do that. There were several options available...but Ballard did nothing. They will probably still sign someone next year...but the group won't be nearly as strong. And this probably means the Colts will end up paying Mewhort $7-8M/year...ugh. Most likely Ballard will look to address the OL in draft.

Unfortunately, DL is probably the strongest position in FA next season. And with the group the Colts already have (including guys on rookie deals), I don't think Ballard will look to spend more on it.

Fortunately, the ILB group has some depth in FA. I have no idea why Ballard didn't make more of an effort to sign Brown, but he will be available again...as will a few other players. The Colts desperately need to upgrade the ILB group. Likely, they will need to draft one to get a great one, but they need to do something. Bostic and Morrison aren't NFL starters...especially when the Colts (and most teams) run nickel defense 60% of the team. 

They also need a RB to pair with Mack. Fortunately, next year's draft is deep at the position, as it was this past season.

I think you will see a focus on the offense in the offseason/draft...mainly OL, WR and RB. And on defense, the focus will be on getting LBs and a CB. Between FA and the draft, I think they can bring 7-8 new players that can fight for starting spots across the offense and defense.